Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released
17. Re: Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released Jun 27, 2012, 18:10 Asmo

As a person who's most time played is on the pyro, I can relate to that video. >= )  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Jun 26, 2012, 18:03 Asmo

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 15:42:
Hah yeah my buddy was telling me the writers included that one as a literal fuck you to fans "you hate Star Kid? you get the bad ending!", he was flipping out. He described the whole EC in general as a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Fixes some inconsistencies and gives some character closure but doesn't really change many of the other core problems. Anyways gonna try it out later and see what they did.

I just watched the youtubes, I'll bother playing it again in a year or so to get some distance from my disappointment over the initial snafu.

If these fully realised endings, including refusal, had come out with the original game, I would have been satisfied. I still love the idea of the indoctrination ending but the new extended versions really get rid of any ambiguity in that case (assuming you accept them at face value *grin*).

It's funny how all the problems with the gates going boom are fixed (even in the destruction ending, the gates are repaired by non-reapers), restoring the galactic fast transit system.

Also, I'm not sure how they'll craft the next ME game based on the end of this one (if in fact they are going to do some sequel, it was recommended that you hang on to your save games.. =\ ). The complexity of working in

-a universe with no AI
-a universe with reapers under the control of Shep
-a synthesis universe
-a refusal ending (game over of course)

to a coherent storyline would be quite a task..

All in all, I didn't call for an extended cut but I'm pretty satisfied where it ended.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic 1.3 Live
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic 1.3 Live Jun 26, 2012, 17:45 Asmo

Lorcin wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 17:43:
ouch after 80 minutes nobody cares enough to post anything positive or negative.

I was going to chip in with something witty like "Oh hai, this game still exists" but I can't honestly be fucked going even that far.

News Comments > Rune Classic on Steam
4. Re: Rune Classic on Steam Jun 14, 2012, 23:35 Asmo

But does it work on win 7 64 bit?

I haven't seen much about Steam pulling a GoG and making older games compliant with new OS's.

News Comments > Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling
5. Re: Citizens Bank Sues Curt Schilling Jun 14, 2012, 23:33 Asmo

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 21:28:
LOL banks want their cake and eat it to... Even though no one knows what that means literally.

"bank says Schilling personally guaranteed this money"

Is it in writing bank mofo's? I'm sure he signed a loan like the rest, but chap 7 gives them rights banker man. LOL his word, like bank has "their word".

38 studios has filed for chap 7, not CS personally. He is still entirely liable for any personal guarantees he signed for.

And I doubt any bank worth it's salt would have loaned such a substantial amount on verbal agreement.

If all the loans had been made by Schilling on behalf of 38 using the company or it's assets as collateral, he would be protected as 38 is a limited liability company (llc). From all appearances, this load was sort personally so he bears responsibility for it.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"
21. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: Jun 14, 2012, 23:19 Asmo

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 22:03:
The problem isn't the subscription model. The problem is that shitwick publishers all think that THEIR MMO can get 10 million subscribers. If they'd design a fun game that can be profitable with 100-200,000 subscribers, many more MMOs would be succesful.

Instead, all the fucking morons think like EA, spend a gajillion dollars on their "WoW-killer!" and fall flat on their fucking faces.

It's crazy how greed rarely leads to a great game!

Creston

Exactly.

There are plenty of good games out there that beetle along with their sub-1 million player bases quite happily. Eve, as an example, is a niche game that appeals to specific players, and despite the dramas etc they have continued to be a profitable and growing concern. They never wanted to become a wow killer and didn't break themselves to get there.

As for being right about TOR going F2P, that was obvious to anyone who played it after a month. Just nothing there to keep the player paying a sub for once they hit top level(what Red 5, and I assume others in the industry, describe as 'stickyness' irt their game Firefall and player interest/longevity).

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Talent Updates Detailed
4. Re: Mists of Pandaria Talent Updates Detailed Jun 14, 2012, 17:55 Asmo

I'm so glad I got off the WoW roundabout, those talent spec trees are so depressingly simplistic.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2012, 01:45 Asmo

It's funny (as in "hrm..." rather than "haha") when you think of shows like L&O:SVU which is 100% built on rape/sexual assault/murder as it's platform running 13 (soon to be 14) seasons and being rampantly popular, but you create a character defining moment for Lara (ie. her first human kill, in self defense of course) motivated by resisting a rapist in a computer game, and it's a bad thing...

As usual, games get shellacked because they're games, not because rape is completely off limits as a story device. eg. Upstanding Citizen, The Brave One, The Accused etc.

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limit Dropped - EU RMAH Friday
17. Re: Diablo III Game Limit Dropped - EU RMAH Friday Jun 13, 2012, 17:54 Asmo

Lemme get this straight...

They make the game always online with no option to play local, then limit the number of times you can reset the level (start a new game), which you would be doing to farm items to face the higher difficulty levels, because their server infrastructure can't keep up with the demand...

BUY MORE F#CKING SERVERS YOU USELESS ASSHOLES

Seriously, if they're making it compulsory to play on their servers, they should have enough headroom for you to start the game as many times as you like.

And for all those who would leap to Blizz's defense and waffle on about how they don't want to overprovision etc, f#ck em. They wouldn't need anywhere near as much infrastructure if there was a local version of the game for people who wanted to play singleplayer/non-bnet MP.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37
6. Re: Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37 Jun 12, 2012, 17:45 Asmo

So it's not really fixing the issue, it's just removing the message and leaving the person in the queue?

I suppose that's technically an improvement over getting kicked out and having to re-logon every time...

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes
54. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 21:42 Asmo

350-500ms pings in Australia makes playing fun. Like your character continuing to run in the wrong direction for half a second after you click somewhere else to change direction.

Thank fuck I got in on a starter pass to have a look first...

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again
13. Re: Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again May 24, 2012, 23:30 Asmo

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 24, 2012, 22:59:
I am beginning to believe that not buying this game, was a good idea.

Indeed. Used a friends guest pass and thus far, not particularly impressed or hooked.

News Comments > Firefall Change Plans
3. Re: Firefall Change Plans May 22, 2012, 23:19 Asmo

Firefall is still developing (a point most new beta "testers" ie. people who want to play a finished product RIGHT NOW!!!), but currently I'm in love with the dev teams involvement with beta testers. I don't usually go in for fanboi-ism but these guys are in there on the beta forums every day helping people directly and often putting in considered game changes based on direct feedback (including the recent Eyefinity/Surround fixes which was a direct response to one of my beta reports).

They do have a thread on the beta forums asking players currently what would keep them interested long term in the game, which may result in some new directions they haven't previously considered. All in all, I'm pretty hopeful this game will have some decent legs to it.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
68. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 23:12 Asmo

D_K_night wrote on May 22, 2012, 22:27:
Then your SWTOR server admin buddy must have seen the writing on the wall WAAAY before any of us. He sees for himself the abysmal server load and knows the end is coming...that's the funny thing about us IT staff lurking in the back there. When infrastructure starts to sit idle...that uneasy feeling creeps its way in...

But regarding the game...sigh...it's all true. It was just Star Wars skin on top of some MMO engine which was never designed nor intended to be used as such. Remember the developer diaries where the network code wasn't even done when Bioware bought/licensed the engine?

The huge sharding...the stiff system requirements...the ability delay...the list just went on which ultimately added up to a sour experience. I gave this game an honest go for the first 30 days granted by the retail box. Sorry Bioware - but the game truly wasn't that good.

Yeah, he's been keeping an eye out for opportunities for some months now. It's sad that they had so many opportunities to excel (imo an updated SWG original game + the space combat + good questing/storyline, which was almost completely absent from the original SWG, might have been a goer) but managed to turn out more pedestrian pap in the long run.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
64. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 22:04 Asmo

Smellfinger wrote on May 22, 2012, 19:53:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product.

Yeah, he should be hoping that they keep their jobs so they can continue to produce garbage. The video game industry is in desperate need of MMO shovelware like The Old Republic.

Yep, that's the point.

I don't like playing COD these days because it's the same old recycled junk, but some people like it (a lot of people), so we keep getting more of it.

SWTOR is reaping what it sowed. I know one of their server admins and he's probably going to be out of work because of this. I don't like seeing my friends unemployed, particularly since he had zero control over the final product, but I don't want to see more crapware passed out as AAA products.

It's a natural evolution, adapt or die. It's unfortunate that people get caught up in this but tbh most BW employees should have seen the writing on the wall in late Feb.

News Comments > 38 Studios Misses Payroll; Bounces Check
16. Re: 38 Studios Misses Payroll; Bounces Check May 18, 2012, 00:41 Asmo

Creston wrote on May 17, 2012, 22:00:
Your company is going down the shitter, and you're on maternity leave.

The 21st century CEO, ladies and gentlemen! Stand in awe!

Creston

Equal opportunity mate, both male and female CEO's should be able to whistle while Rome proverbially burns... ; )

News Comments > Dreadline Unveiled
3. Re: Dreadline Unveiled May 16, 2012, 18:20 Asmo

wallace321 wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:59:
i like new ideas, but this has the potential to be really damaging to our hobby and generally offensive. people don't like violent games, people don't like "modern" war games, people don't like when we can go around shooting unarmed civilians.

Not saying it's right, but the people who make the fuss about this sort of thing are the people who influence the uninformed/ignorant general public and that's when they start sticking their noses in our business. No good will come of this.

queue discussion about self-censorship, freedom of speech, and "amurica"

Ummmm...

Prototype
Hitman games
Carmageddon
Rampage
GTA
Saints Row
etc

Even games where civs don't get targeted cause frothing outrage from conservatives over violence etc, so I'm not sure why a cartoon splatterfest style game is going to create more drama than anything else (particularly since it doesn't look like a AAA title... X )

And some people love modern warfare games (pun intended), some people don't.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. May 14, 2012, 00:37 Asmo

nin wrote on May 13, 2012, 18:52:
Part of the charm of DII was that you didn't know much about it and it was a learning experience. By the time I rolled a hardcore toon I'd pretty much worked out what worked and what didn't (pally player).

There is something to be said for preserving some of the mystery.

There is. But (regarding D2) it also sucks as you're learning, and could easily ruin a good character by placing points in the wrong skill...

No doubt, 13 points in zeal meant you hit a lot of mobs but did little damage to each (which often meant that either a boss or a stoneskin electric hero was destroying you while you were beating his 10 friends).

Still, I just can't get hyped about DIII. Not trying to be the "cool anti-establishment" type or anything like that, I've just had a lot of the enthusiasm wrung out of me with the extensive coverage of the game.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. May 13, 2012, 18:49 Asmo

I just can't get worked up about Diablo III and things like 'best builds yo' webpages are one of the reasons...

Part of the charm of DII was that you didn't know much about it and it was a learning experience. By the time I rolled a hardcore toon I'd pretty much worked out what worked and what didn't (pally player).

There is something to be said for preserving some of the mystery.

News Comments > Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit
9. Re: Another Stargate Worlds Lawsuit May 13, 2012, 17:49 Asmo

Lesaonar wrote on May 13, 2012, 16:33:

Good IP left in the hands of fools who had obviously never seen the series or even remotely had passion for sci-fi.

And that's the stupid thing, Stargate is an IP absolutely made for MMO style gaming.

Shared areas for the most part (call em contested worlds) and any new instances = group missions through the stargate.

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo