Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 568 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Homefront Postmortem
6. Re: Homefront Postmortem Nov 4, 2012, 16:44 Asmo

Even if the story was a fairly pedestrian experience, this game might have been rescued by feeling less like you were being dragged by the nose through every step you took. The bit where you're trying to pass unseen through the gun nut camp, all you have to do is maintain your place between the two team members and you literally cannot be detected unless you start shooting. Leaves nothing to the player to do, almost like a guided tour rather than a game.

Length was also abysmal, they had the opportunity to throw in some pretty cool stuff.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 25, 2012, 23:54 Asmo

Umm...

"A journalist collects, writes and distributes news and other information."

So game reviewers are journalists.

The sticking point is the integrity of that information ie. how much trust we can put in it. The usual requirements are objectivity and veracity, ie. report truthfully to us, but don't try to form our opinion or mislead us. Of if the journo wants to express an opinion, make sure that it is clearly offered as opinion, not fact.

The problem is that even if the journo is squeaky clean, the impression of impropriety tarnishes their reputation. Even if the woman in the article could indeed be perfectly objective in a review of the new TR game, she is now hopelessly compromised by the mounting circumstantial evidence that she might have some sort of bias towards the product and/or the people that make it. If she were to write a glowing article about the game, it would be suspect. If she panned it, is it really bad or is she trying to fix her reputation?

News Comments > Trains vs. Zombies 2 Today
9. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 25, 2012, 17:47 Asmo

Somewhere, there is a producer kicking himself that he didn't immediately kick the guy pitching this product out of his office for being a fucking idiot...  

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
49. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 17:44 Asmo

BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:57:
Cool. I can create my dead horse mod.

Don't forget the dead horse armour DLC. ; )

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
21. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 01:54 Asmo

Doom etc were popular because they were "first" (or near enough to not matter) with a paucity of competition.

They were not creative, they did not feature solid story lines you got invested in in the slightest. They were shooters and didn't try to complicate things with creativity (apart from some spiffy level designs, I'll give them that).

I picked up Rage on a 9 buck steam sale and still haven't been able to bring myself to install it. Given my current list of games I actually want to play is pretty long, a game I'm curious to see how bad it is doesn't rate. Neither does a rebaked POS from years ago.

News Comments > Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series
45. Re: Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series Oct 22, 2012, 01:24 Asmo

John wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 20:08:
There are too many pessimistic folks around here..

Pessimism infers that I have a tendency to see the worst. I think, given the track record, it's realistic to be a bit concerned.

News Comments > Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series
41. Re: Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series Oct 21, 2012, 18:52 Asmo

Obsidian titles, for me, have always been ambitious and mostly enjoyable but deeply flawed.

FO:NV for example, I loved the shit out of that game but then found out a save game bug introduced at about the '60 hours played' mark meant that I was completely unable to finish the game at about 120 hours played... And this was after I had taken all the recommended precautions regarding save games to prevent corruption.

Alpha Protocol, as mentioned, was a great game irt gameplay, but was a tragic mess irt stability etc.

My major concern is that PE will end up like TOEE and other titles that the collective staff of Obsidian have had a hand in. Dumped on the market with deep bugs and very little support.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter
17. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 19, 2012, 01:28 Asmo

Tumbler wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:23:
Asmo wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 23:03:
ps. Anyone know wtf the golden ticket is for?

Can you still find it / look at it right now? I got one too but haven't seen it since that first day. I think it said something about a special reward that was to be revealed later.

Still got the email. Apparently part of it was for a special deal or something at GDC but apparently it's an early joiner bonus, but I can't find any details on the thing...

Not that I'm that bothered, my KS dance card is pretty full and it'll take a special product to pry any significant cash out of me at this point (did the 20 dollar deal for Project Eternity)

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter
14. Re: Star Citizen Adds Kickstarter Oct 18, 2012, 23:03 Asmo

ps. Anyone know wtf the golden ticket is for?

I've got one but fucked if I know what to do with it?

pps. Hey Cutter, you still looking for a key for Planetside 2? I seem to recall you were after one (although I might be mistaken).

News Comments > Indie Royale Fall Bundle
7. Re: Indie Royale Fall Bundle Oct 16, 2012, 21:31 Asmo

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 17:47:
Anyone try Oil Rush?

P.S. - the trailer for "To the Moon" is really cute/touching.

Oil Rush isn't bad, interesting take on the RTS scheme.

To the Moon... Oh god, where to begin... The 'game' part is almost inconsequential, it's an interactive movie. A lot of people said the story was formulaic but I found it to be excellently done.

And yes, I sobbed like a little girl with a skinned knee... X D

If you are going to play it, whatever you do, avoid spoilers for it.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
8. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 18:24 Asmo

MattyC wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 18:11:
Ceribaen wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 16:39:
I gave it a try one day, pulling out my old sidewinder stick... but controls seemed wonky and then got distracted by a few other games that just got released.

Might have to give it a go again shortly though. Missed out on deciding on Founders package though.

If your 'old Sidewinder' is as old as my old Sidewinder, you may find that you need to go out you lost the plugin spot years and years ago and didn't even notice

I've still got my 98-99 vintage sidewinder II force feedback stick, but fucking Microsoft won't support the bastard with drivers in Win7 anymore... = |

re: MWO, use mouse + keyboard and turn your mouse sensitivity WAAAAY down. I use the lowest DPI setting on my mouse during matches, helps immensely with precision shooting (ie. continuing to pound weak spots in armour). It may not feel like it when you're getting gangbanged by a premade of cheese build mechs but it's actually quite a measured experience, even booting along in a scout mech. Quick snappy movements don't make a difference when your arms/torso take time to get lined up. Getting your shot right in the first place is more important than mashing the fire key.

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
70. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 10, 2012, 23:45 Asmo

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 19:47:
Heh Egosoft +Chris +Star Wars Universe = OMG!

Aww come on man, don't write shit like that. I'm at work and now I have cum in my pants and all my co-workers are looking at me funny... =\

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week
9. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week Oct 10, 2012, 23:05 Asmo

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 21:16:
Basically, it's simulation mechwarrior and free to play at that. While I still find it a shame that no publisher wanted to fund a full fledged MW sequel, Battletech being one of my favorite franchises, I'll take it. MWO is extremely solid.

It'll be interesting to see how their plans for a metagame pan out. That to me is really the questionable aspect at this point, the game play itself is really good.

The one thing I really hate at this point is cheese builds and how the heat system favours cool running weapons.

Cheese builds are:

-The 'gaussapult', the k2 variant of the catapult which replaces 2 machine guns with 2 gauss rifles, giving it one of the highest sustained alpha's in game

-The high speed Jenner with a bunch of small pulse lasers (lag and hit box issues make it very difficult to kill these)

-The dedicated LRM boats which can kill an Atlas with constant (simply put, the do not overheat) fire in about 10-15 seconds. You literally cannot fire back because you're constantly being rocked by explosions and your view is all but 100% obscured by explosions. Even 2x AMS systems can't save you, it just slows down your death.

Irt to high heat weaponry, the PPC is the stand out as one of the worst guns in game. Heatsinks don't work like tabletop where you could run in overheat and chance a shut down or negative effects, it builds up slowly and drops slowly. Repeat firing a PPC leaves you heat choked and given the time to kill, most cooler builds (gauss for example) do more damage with greater fire rate and more than enough ammo to last a full battle.

In TT, ballistic and missile weapons are cooler to fire and do better damage because you have a limited number of shots. It was not unusual to run dry on ammo or spend your ammunition randomly damaging fresh armour rather than exploiting the huge hole in the side of the torso you had created. In MWO, there are few scenarios where you will run dry on ammunition (apart from stock models which are built according to classic TT builds rather than the frankenmechs you see in MWO).

As a long time fan of TT and the games (played everything since Crescent Hawks Inception), I really want to love this game, and it's look and feel is brilliant and visceral, but the current FOTM (favourite of the month) mechlab variants are killing it for me. I can't even imagine how depressing it would be to grind up to owning your first mech in the rentals (you use trial mechs, get reduced income but no customisation) which are exclusively classic builds.

News Comments > New Morrowind Overhaul
9. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 2, 2012, 01:11 Asmo

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 23:47:
You know the game is good when it takes "hundreds of mods".

10 years after it's release date? /eyeroll

It didn't take hundreds of mods to make it great back then, but it does allow hundreds of mods to make it greater now.

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Trailer
1. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Trailer Oct 1, 2012, 17:54 Asmo

Updated this a week ago and tried to get in to it.

Without tutorial or any other preparation it drops you in to a first level that is reminiscent of other games final fights (ie. fricking hard), where you have to trial and error your way out of a base while (apparently) the entire Russian space navy is trying to kill your ass...

Once I managed to get past that, it's not too bad (quite smooth in 3 screen nvid surround), but they do need to do some major bug fixing...

News Comments > Mass Effect Trilogy Announced
6. Re: Mass Effect Trilogy Announced Sep 26, 2012, 21:51 Asmo

This would have been good (including DLC etc) if I didn't already own everything in bits and pieces.

I plan to play again once all the DLC is done and dusted (and cheap), probably next year.

Everything up to the last 15 minutes is great for me, and tbh the stills ending they finally added would have been a perfect wrap up to the series if the deus ex machina crucible bullshit wasn't so bloody annoying (I personally love the idea of the indoctrination ending).

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches
53. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches Sep 25, 2012, 17:57 Asmo

coolkev99 wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 17:21:
Its popular to bash WoW these days, but its really not that bad. It just hasn't changed the formula much and now gone stale. Many of us have moved on. There are still those newer players and die-hards who still like it, but this game is slowly becoming irrelevant.

If people are enjoying the game, more power to them, but after the short period till burnout in cata, I don't really see any point in going back only to quit a month or two in.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Perspectives
7. Re: Steam Greenlight Perspectives Sep 24, 2012, 17:49 Asmo

I dunno, some of the stuff I've seen while browsing through has some interesting concepts, and quite a few of the games are touted as freeware. Ostensibly, I guess, to get the names of the devs out there in the market.

It doesn't cost anything but a bit of time to sieve through what's up there and if it turns out a few good games, I'm willing to pitch in... =)

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Sep 20, 2012, 21:07 Asmo

Tip 1: "Please don't crash in to us"

That is all.

That article gave me a good lol..

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans
17. Re: Mass Effect 3 DLC Plans Sep 19, 2012, 19:44 Asmo

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:45:
I still have Mass Effect 1&2 on the backburner in my steam catalog.. probably should get around to playing through those but hearing about 3's ending I think has made me less enthusiastic to play them. Maybe in 2013 ^_^

With the new ending, it makes it a lot more palatable than the original ending of 3. I enjoyed 3 entirely up until, literally, the last 15 minutes. I'm going to do what I did with 2 and give it a year to bed down any/all DLC, pick it up cheap at some point and play through 1-3 again.

568 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo