Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 573 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 18:32 Asmo

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:34:
Liking it in small spurts,

God forgive me... That's what she said... X D

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
29. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 18:27 Asmo

Lobster wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:30:
Just what the world needs... more F2P MMOs...

Because the ability to choose without paying through the nose (Yes SW:TOR, I'm looking at you) is a bad thing...

Wargaming's model might not appeal to everyone, but it's incredibly popular, particularly in Russia, and it's making them a shitload of money. Given the current trend of major production houses falling through, I think that some of the more successful new concerns (who obviously have a business model that's working at this point in time) investing in studios is a good thing.

News Comments > Diablo III Patching Errors
6. Re: Diablo III Patching Errors Feb 13, 2013, 21:40 Asmo

Another staggering success in the long and storied of Diablo's fall in to irrelevance...

You'd think it would be impossible to fumble such a keystone IP... You'd be wrong...

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
45. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 21:04 Asmo

I'm surprised no one mentioned the cyber-nannies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGHZW6Hw9c about 7:10), those things freaked me the fuck out the first time I played the game...

Awesome that GOG are fighting to unearth some of these classics. They are undeniably dated and I'm sure playing would have a hard time matching up to my nostalgia, but damned if I'm not going to give it a try. ; )

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 12, 2013, 21:04 Asmo

Even if the argument for a link was plausible, testing for it is impossible... Imo, the link is not plausible. I have been playing games with varying degrees of violence since about 1982-ish and I've never so much as raised my hand to my wife let alone been convicted of a violent act... But to accurately test this, they would need to do the same sort of testing that you would on whether or not breast feeding creates a smarter person.

eg. From birth to a certain age, expose the person to games etc but keep them exclusively non violent. Measure the persons aggressive tendencies. Wind back time and repeat the exact same sequence (same breakfast every day, parents do the same things) except expose them to violent media and games. Compare results.

ie. impossible.

The far more plausible explanation is that people with violent tendencies are attracted to violent media/games.

Everything points to "violent personalities are attracted to violence" and yet people keep trying to say that violent material creates violent people. Further, regular people who are non-violent may also like violent material purely because of escapism. We don't want to be violent throughout our lives, but we enjoy violence in our entertainment precisely because we can differentiate between the fantasy and the reality.

The worst case scenario is an otherwise normal person is mistreated (ie. bullied kids at school) and eventually snaps. This sort of person would be attracted to violent games because loners/outcasts are far more likely to use their leisure time being powerful/heroic/in charge, because it's the one environment they can feel in control. Again, the violence may be influenced by the media/game, but originates in the abuse they suffer at the hands of their peers.

Hell, the ending of Far Cry 3 (*spoiler alert*) is a great example of violent nature vs violent media. Being offered the choice to kill my friends and stay as a warrior made no sense to me as the reason my character wanted power in the first place was to rescue my friends (ignoring how shallow the personas of the characters were). I watched the alternate ending on you tube but my own personal ethic made if a no brainer to save my friends and depart, regardless of the consequences. It was only sheer curiousity that got me to watch the other ending, my entire moral judgement was that even portraying the main character as a person who had lost his way in a "heart of darkness" style descent, he would still remember that he only becamse a monster to save the ones he loved.

If a story about a person who goes from never hurting a fly to happily filleting anything with a pulse doesn't somehow influence me to be violent, I'm not sure what will...

Of course, all of that is anecdotal and doesn't really prove much of anything, but if violent media creates violent people, there would be literally millions of gamers snapping as they saturate their lives with violence. That there is not, and the article freely admits that rampages are so infrequent that it is difficult to draw any significant conclusions, kinda bears out that violent media doesn't create monsters, monsters like violent media...

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today
10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 18:01 Asmo

It's honestly embarrassing to see the Star Wars IP thrashing around like this (kinda like watching Ep 1, 2 and 3).

The promo email for this crap rolled in this morning, and it's just a big ad sheet for cartel coins. On yeah, now you can get a big Ep1 pod racer speeder for about 15 bucks or w/e... /eyeroll

edit: And even more hilarious, the splash screen for my top level bounty hunter claims I'm one of the most famous and notorious BH's in the galaxy (the same thing all top levels get) but suddenly I'm an outsider with a big rep grind ahead of me. It took me 10 mins of perusing the "f2p" offering before signing out forever.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 18:22.

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
41. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 18:01 Asmo

Mass Effect:Whore, where you play a plucky young Volus prostitute setting out to make your fame and fortune in the world, one Krogan blowjob at a time!

Seriously though, the idea of being a fighter pilot in that fleet scene is fucking win. Are we sure someone hasn't already done it in Freespace 2?

News Comments > Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support
23. Re: Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support Feb 6, 2013, 17:01 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 13:23:
I am wondering what kind of keyboard/mouse-type controllers will come out to support this given the fact that you'll still want that kind of control, but not be able to look at the keyboard with the Rift on your head.

Touch typing? X D

Gawd, I haven't looked at my keyboard in years (actually, for the last few it's because I'm pretty sure my hand salsa has created a sentient nether being that lurks under the keys waiting to trap my soul... ; )

Irt to the Occulus, VR got lost in the wilderness because there just wasn't the GPU grunt to do graphics as good as what you can get on a monitor at an acceptable FPS on the headset. The older VR just looked godawful and was at such a low framerate that it was migraine inducing. We're at that point now.

And I can tell you as a surround/eyefinity user of 3 years, immersion just makes the game that much better. eg. playing FC3 in surround is amazing. The sense of peripheral vision (eg. swimming under water and catching glimpses of those fucking bullsharks out of the corner of your eye as they line you up) is amazing, and that's viewing out through 3 horizontal windows.

The one thing with the headset style VR that always kinda confused me is how they get a game where your body/head are locked in line to respond to head commands vs mouse. Say for example CoD, you're running down an alley using the mouse to scan around. You look over your shoulder. Do you keep running straight with your head turned or do you run in the direction you are looking? How I'd handle this with the mouse/keyboard is to alter the movement keys so that I'm not running backwards. A system where your view point is controlled independently of the body (WoT/Mechwarrior Online style games come to mind) would require the game to support that mechanic and an ability to be aware of your body facing, like a torso twist meter.

I presume the games have to have OR support built in otherwise you might be required to turn off (if possible) the motion aspect of the headset and rely on mouselook aiming.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Online Mech
2. Re: New MechWarrior: Online Mech Feb 5, 2013, 22:23 Asmo

The recent updates have really pulled this game back from being a pointless fest of high damage/low heat cheese builds, particularly ECM and the speed updates for certain weapons. With hot weapons getting a heat reduction in the patch today, it should make PPC builds more viable and start feeling a bit more like the original (seriously though, the loops they went through to make it "more fun" by fucking with the ROF etc have caused months of delays to fix by tweaking individual weapons).

Dunno bout the awesome though, those things are just one big target for anyone with half a brain.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Announcement
4. Re: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Announcement Feb 5, 2013, 18:12 Asmo

The thing that always get's my goat with sequels is who you seemingly go back to square 1 as a character.

eg. after 1 & 2, you'd think Geralt would pretty much have his shit tight. Alchemy, weapons etc, he should be loaded for war. I generally like the concept of level type games (where you appreciate in power), sorta like the old gold box D&D games where each new expansion would pit you against far harder enemies. It's kinda painful to go back to being unable to fight two wolves after defeating the mega-super-evil from the dark pit that plans on ending everything without wearing out overused tropes like "amnesia"...

Hopefully they handle this well.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 5, 2013, 17:30 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:39:
Canada schools? Cereal? If it's safe as they claim than they should be able to prove it unequivocally and they can't. So caveat emptor. All radiation is dangerous, it's a question of how much.

Yeah, I really dislike how anyone with concerns is instantly dismissed as a kook.

While the fear may prove baseless and irrational, people today are a product of generations of things that were touted as safe and later turned out to be very much not so (thalidomide, asbestos, tobacco etc). And that's before we even get to the possible harm sources where the anecdotal evidence is strong but the jury is still out (high voltage transmission lines etc).

We only really find out about these things when it's too late to do anything about them.

I personally don't have huge concerns about wifi but I don't blame people who do.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2013, 23:53 Asmo

I kinda agree with Cutter. I'll be the first to admit that I've dropped cash to bypass "the grind" (ie. content you should be playing because you enjoy it... ironically) in some games. XP boosts, chances for unlocks in MP (ME3) etc. I don't feel extorted, I feel like I had a choice and had disposable income to make that choice.

If people want to bypass crafting in Deadspace III, g'luck to em, but it's neither new nor arm twisting.

News Comments > Firefall Public Beta This Weekend
11. Re: Firefall Public Beta This Weekend Jan 22, 2013, 17:44 Asmo

Yeah, it's come down a long way since I first saw the 2010 (?) PAX trailer which originally piqued my interest. The changes from leveling to a tiered system, constant nerfs and changes to try and make the game more "skill based" (as if first/third person aiming to shoot wasn't skill based enough) and a very long time between drinks for increased content etc have really curbed my enthusiasm...

That being said, the dev team are excellent folks who are very involved in the community, so hope springs eternal (particularly since they recently decided to split PvP from PvE so that each could be balanced separately) that they do listen to some of the ideas on pulling back from neutral power gain/options=sidegrades/all skill no stat gameplay.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2013, 17:50 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 22:42:
And so obviously everything else must be a result of violent cartoons, TV and film for all the decades prior to that right? And I suppose violent books before that right back to Gutenberg including the bible? And I suppose any oral tradition preceeding that when people would sit around in festhalls and taverns and talk about the battles of old, right?

Holy fuck, give me a break. It's a violent universe. We're a violent species. Some of us just plain broken and do crazy shit like go on shooting sprees. Yet, somehow the 99.9% rest of us all manage to get up, go to work, pay our taxes and NOT go on a murderous rampage when we're pissed off. So much for the theory of violent media turning us all into murderous lunatics.

Umm... You didn't actually read the article did you..?

Did anyone?

That's what video games are: They are emulators for the systemic violence inherent in our culture. They allow us to hurt a lot of people, to feel that we are effective problem solvers and prolific distributors of sacred punches, all without actually harming anybody. Yes, that's pretty fucking sick. But so are human beings in general. Video games are just a symptom, not a cause. The cause is that basic, nasty little idea: "Heroes hurt bad guys."

That's the problem.

I certainly don't agree with all of his conclusions etc but his core point, that the games (media, music etc) we enjoy tells us a lot about who we are as people, is spot on.

His suggested solution ("become a nation of pussies") is, imo, impossible because the violence is human nature, not just glorification of fixing problems with violence. The US does tend to take it to the nth degree though with it's soldiers/nationalism.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 on PTR
15. Re: Diablo III 1.07 on PTR Jan 16, 2013, 17:54 Asmo

I tried hard, really, I almost made it to lvl 10 in the demo before laughing it off as a bad joke.

ARPG's need to bring more to the table these days than "Loot hunt". That was fine with Diablo II came out because we didn't have a huge array of other options to sink our time in to. These days, I have a Steam Sale Backlog (yep, it's big enough to deserve capitalisation...), MMO's (F2P and a paid sub) not to mention books, the odd TV show or movie and RL vying for my attention... The old treadmill just isn't enough to cut it anymore.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 17:51 Asmo

Some tips I've picked up for bolognese (Italian grandmother ;):

If you're using fatty mince (not sure the quality of mince you get in the US but in Aus you can get premium steak mince which is fairly low in fat), you want to fry it separately with a good pinch of salt per kilo of mince, and drain off about 2/3rds of the fat. Some fat is necessary for the sauce to hold the flavour of the meat/herbs etc.

For a good onion/garlic sweat (rather than frying them), add a little butter to your olive oil and lower the temp, then chuck a lid on the saucepan, stirring occasionally. This is also a good time to add a little fresh rosemary/dried oregano (dried >>> fresh oregano).

Another tip I picked up, pebbled carrot. It's a pain in the ass to make, you have to finely grate a couple of carrots, leave it to dry for a bit on a paper towel in the fridge until it's not so juicy, then finely chop it so that you end up with a pile of carrot that when added in to the sauce, blends in with the meat. It adds a good colour and complementary flavour to the mix.

And of course tabasco sauce. A small dose in the mix gives it a nice peppery kick without making it too spicey for kids etc.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 16:51 Asmo

Does anyone else think that it might be a Darwin test to get a bunch of people armed and deployed in to the Everglades (home of many creepy crawlies) to hunt snakes (likely to make most amateurs a tad jumpy)???

Sounds like one of those things that once the bodies are tallied and the blood is washed away, someone will say in a small voice "Yeah... That probably wasn't the best idea..."

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 17:06 Asmo

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:41:
Again, I'm not defending the WBC here. They are a worthless bunch of fucking degenerates, but it's a quick and slippery slope to censure. And the people who will eventually wind up WHAT needs to be censured will rarely feel the same way about it as you and I do.

Creston

I agree with you 100%. However, I also support Anon's attacks (both legal and illegal) on them. WBC have the right to say whatever they want, but the consequences may be more than they bargained for...

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 in 2014-2015?
1. Re: Mass Effect 4 in 2014-2015? Dec 12, 2012, 22:38 Asmo

As an unashamed fanboi who willfully ignores most of the problems of this series, I can't wait. = )  

News Comments > Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale
33. Re: Online multiplayer? Dec 12, 2012, 22:37 Asmo

I can't recommend GOG highly enough. They do excellent work in making titles lost to antiquity available again at a reasonable price and quite often sweeten the pot with freebies or upgrades for their products.

Sure, they aren't actually making the games, but the richly deserve success for resurrecting some of the titles that just won't play on newer systems and putting them up DRM free for those who wish to take a nostalgic (albeit sometimes shocking) trip down memory lane. ; )

573 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo