Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
10. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 29, 2012, 23:10 Asmo

Funnily enough I already own all these games on Steam via various sales etc. Still some great games in there.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Endless Space Free Weekend
4. Re: Endless Space Free Weekend Nov 29, 2012, 23:08 Asmo

Whiskers wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 21:29:
Really good graphics and a fluid UI, but the lack of combat in this game just kills it for me. I'll stick with Sword of the Stars 2

Yeah, same here. Space combat has been described as "he who has the biggest guns and/or biggest fleet typically wins". There is no space for tactical brilliance (or, ya know, gaming the AI ; ).

News Comments > Firefall Beta Plans
6. Re: Firefall Beta Plans Nov 29, 2012, 00:51 Asmo

It's fun but it wears thin a bit fast when the content takes so long to arrive and they keep dicking with the core systems. It has oodles of potential but I think Red 5 are kinda fumbling it a little bit with their preoccupation on turning the game in to a premiere esports venue.  

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 and Demo Released
5. Re: Miner Wars 2081 and Demo Released Nov 29, 2012, 00:48 Asmo

Decent fun, certainly has a "minecraft meets descent" feel about it.

Last time I played (couple of weeks ago) missions were still kinda difficult to follow, so I hope they polished that up quite a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty smooth and stable, works on surround and is a bit of fun once you get past the brutal first mission (first timers will get a bit ticked off

News Comments > The WarZ Patch; Data Wipe
8. Re: The WarZ Patch; Data Wipe Nov 28, 2012, 17:00 Asmo

Why not cover it? It's another game on the scene and this is news about it. Posting news about a title is not the same as advertising it.

re: the game, sounds like a piece of shit. Wasn't really on my radar, but thanks to this story I doubt I'll even look at it let alone intall/play/pay.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods
31. Re: PlanetSide 2 Bans All Client Mods Nov 28, 2012, 16:48 Asmo

Sorry, your "protip" is junk, I've unloaded in to people point blank with a scattermax and they've taken zero damage (ie. no red X to indicate you are doing damage), then they lag dance around me until I'm dead.

On other days, I can literally drop people in 3-4 shots in the center of mass (so not headshots).

This is despite running a fairly constant ping of 250 (run on a US server with friends from Aus).

Compare this to PS1 which I used to play on dialup from Aus to the US and use voice comms over, where lag was rarely an issue...

I've also been killed 5 seconds after running behind hard cover or had my heavy shield stop no damage (seems to activate after the shooters client declares me dead but before the server tells my client to lie down and take a dirt nap).

The netcode/client prediction isn't great, certainly not as clean as PS1. You'll notice a lot people jump around like spaz's when you start shooting them. Most of the time you'll barely register a hit before you get dead.

News Comments > Dishonored DLC Next Month
25. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 28, 2012, 00:22 Asmo

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 23:32:
Asmo wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 18:38:
It's sad that the game is so damn short because I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I guess I'm getting value for money playing ghost/non-lethal (side note, wish there was an absolute way to check if you've breached either condition before the end of each section), but it feels like there's a bunch of untapped potential that will either end up as DLC or a sequel.

Compare this to the sprawling Assassin's Creed games (which admittedly have a lot of timewasters added), just seems like a bit of a cynical ploy to wring money out of the customers (*surprise surprise*)

The game isn't short at all. I put about 40 hours into it. If you're actually ghosting, exploring every nook and cranny, reading every book and note, listening to every NPC conversation, collecting every piece of loot, etc, the game takes significantly longer to complete.

Also, ghosting is not the same thing as non-lethal. Ghosting means you don't neutralize anyone or anything, whether through lethal or non-lethal means. Knocking someone out is functionally the same as killing them. You're still removing them as a threat. Conversely, keeping them alive and conscious completely changes how you go through any given level.

Umm, ghosting as per the game assessment at the end of a level is not getting spotted (red lightning bolts) by anyone, not a touch free game. I've ghosted the first 3 missions so far and knocked out a lot of people. You can even get a full set of white lightning bolts without failing the ghost requirement (darted one of the two guys guarding the merchant in the first assassination mission, then choked the second).

Mad respect if you can manage a non lethal on the first assassination mission without knocking him out though, he didn't seem like he wanted to walk to the chair on his own... ; )

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patch Adds Camo, Bitching
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Adds Camo, Bitching Nov 27, 2012, 23:35 Asmo

Ironically, putting "bitching betty" on the forum results in "******** betty"...

Gotta protect those teens. X D

News Comments > Dishonored DLC Next Month
18. Re: Dishonored DLC Next Month Nov 27, 2012, 18:38 Asmo

It's sad that the game is so damn short because I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. I guess I'm getting value for money playing ghost/non-lethal (side note, wish there was an absolute way to check if you've breached either condition before the end of each section), but it feels like there's a bunch of untapped potential that will either end up as DLC or a sequel.

Compare this to the sprawling Assassin's Creed games (which admittedly have a lot of timewasters added), just seems like a bit of a cynical ploy to wring money out of the customers (*surprise surprise*)

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2012, 21:00 Asmo

DukeFNukem wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 20:02:
Oh goodie, GOG supports Window 8. One good reason for me not to support GOG.

Usually I leave these sort of posts alone but this one makes my brain hurt...

You have a company that is enabling old classics to be played on new OS's, have reasonable prices, no DRM, and adding Win 8 support takes absolutely nothing away from you if you choose not to use the OS, and that is somehow a bad thing?

I've seen some cynical bastards before but you really take the cake...

News Comments > Thanksgiving Legal Briefs
1. Re: Thanksgiving Legal Briefs Nov 22, 2012, 16:32 Asmo

High irony that one of the websites linked by 3D Systems in their notice of litigation is...

freedomofcreation.com

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2012, 17:32 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 16:55:
Slight difference between having to defend something offensive and a joke. That guys life is in tatters because of a joke. That's utter insanity! If that's not Big Brother I don't know what is. Jesus, next stop it's off to the gulags for "re-education".

It's been how many years since 9/11 and the TSA have stopped exactly how many other plots with their full body scanners etc? Patriot act? Indefinite detention? Protected speech is not the only right that is important, and it's not the only right that can be lost.

The whole world is sliding towards authoritarianism, not just Britain.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
57. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 20:04 Asmo

Hrm, considering some of the games I've bought at release previously...

TOR
TSW:Lifetime sub
Duke Nukem (god I'm an idiot)
COD:Black Ops 1 (fuck that game was crap)

etc

The amount of money I'm risking on KS is relatively minor...

So far my KS/pre-support list is:

Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
Star Citizen/S42
Grim Dawn

Oh yeah, and I bought Minecraft in alpha (turned out to be a pretty good deal as well).

The first three are all based off games that were major features of my young gaming life. I don't think you can recapture the original feeling of playing some of those titles, but the calibre of the people making them is hard to fault.

Crowfunding is a grand experiment in democracy. We're so sick and tired of all the consolised or neutered crap with flashy graphics masking shitty gameplay that get's peddled, so someone has given us another way to vote with our wallets. If it works then we may actually start to see big production houses returning to what made them big in the first place, ie. producing good games.

Of course if the big KS's fail to materialise, I think you'll see the end of crowdfunding. These guys have taken not just the burden of meeting their 'investors' expectations, but quite literally the burden of changing the face of the gaming industry.

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video
9. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 20:05 Asmo

Has gone past 5 mil...

There have got to be some production houses kicking themselves when they see this sort of thing going on. The PC market is alive and well and people want to play games reminiscent of the "good old days", we just haven't had the opportunity presented to us that often.

Time will tell though, the expectation for these KS products is very high and if they fall short, I think crowdfunding will end up dying a sad death in a couple of years.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II
74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II Nov 13, 2012, 18:37 Asmo

Funny, I thought Treyarch were the mob that made the "good" CoD's?

Either which way, it's going for $89.99AUD on Steam (93 USD...) so it's a firm "pass" for me at this point. Particularly since I never bothered to complete the BlOps 1 campaign with it's linear NPC directed experience...

As for the series, if it appeals to people go nuts. I think between indie/KS and a few dev's fighting the trend of endless retreads that PC gaming is currently robust enough to survive if BlOps2 turns out to be as bad as most people think it is... ; )

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 6, 2012, 22:50 Asmo

I'm never getting that fucking patch that fixes up Darksiders II's crappy keybind system...  

News Comments > Homefront Postmortem
6. Re: Homefront Postmortem Nov 4, 2012, 16:44 Asmo

Even if the story was a fairly pedestrian experience, this game might have been rescued by feeling less like you were being dragged by the nose through every step you took. The bit where you're trying to pass unseen through the gun nut camp, all you have to do is maintain your place between the two team members and you literally cannot be detected unless you start shooting. Leaves nothing to the player to do, almost like a guided tour rather than a game.

Length was also abysmal, they had the opportunity to throw in some pretty cool stuff.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 25, 2012, 23:54 Asmo

Umm...

"A journalist collects, writes and distributes news and other information."

So game reviewers are journalists.

The sticking point is the integrity of that information ie. how much trust we can put in it. The usual requirements are objectivity and veracity, ie. report truthfully to us, but don't try to form our opinion or mislead us. Of if the journo wants to express an opinion, make sure that it is clearly offered as opinion, not fact.

The problem is that even if the journo is squeaky clean, the impression of impropriety tarnishes their reputation. Even if the woman in the article could indeed be perfectly objective in a review of the new TR game, she is now hopelessly compromised by the mounting circumstantial evidence that she might have some sort of bias towards the product and/or the people that make it. If she were to write a glowing article about the game, it would be suspect. If she panned it, is it really bad or is she trying to fix her reputation?

News Comments > Trains vs. Zombies 2 Today
9. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 25, 2012, 17:47 Asmo

Somewhere, there is a producer kicking himself that he didn't immediately kick the guy pitching this product out of his office for being a fucking idiot...  

News Comments > RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming
49. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 17:44 Asmo

BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:57:
Cool. I can create my dead horse mod.

Don't forget the dead horse armour DLC. ; )

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo