Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 611 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 24, 2013, 19:48 Asmo

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 18:47:
The Patriot Act is more than airport searches and does plenty of good for the bad it does as well but you are only interested in hyperbole and bullet point arguments so *shrug*. There's a difference between saying the US is perfect and saying it is a good example of freedom, liberty and democracy. Your earlier criteria was amusing, listing things like riots and illegal arrests as hallmarks when last I checked Canada had some of those lately too, not to mention it's own version of PRISM and several other violations of "civil liberties".

Technology outpaces law and the law plays catch up, government is slow to react in almost every country. It takes time for reasonable, middle ground policy to take effect and there are often several extremes that test the boundaries and help establish that. The US has many faults but it's citizens enjoy more freedom than many other countries and for all of your bluster, you enjoy many of them by proxy.

If you think Russia and China are better examples than the US then well, I hear immigration is open.

Essentially your argument boils down to:

I like the US because it uses lube and gives you cab money afterwards...

There are plenty of fine examples of people in the US, but the country has had the wool pulled over it's eyes for so long it's not funny. Just because the US is more subtle in it's police state efforts does not make it any less of a police state than countries like Russia or China. The war on drugs, police abuses, PRISM etc.

Bragging because your the best cared for cows in the slaughterhouse is asinine.

Manning and Snowden are true patriots, if such a thing exists. Government transparency is not something we should need to continually ask for, it should be the default setting.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.

That's the oath of office for the US Congress and Senate... True faith? /lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > D&D: Neverwinter and Chronicles of Mystara Launch
11. Re: D&D: Neverwinter and Chronicles of Mystara Launch Jun 20, 2013, 18:01 Asmo

NWN is the most punitive "Free to Play" I've every had the misfortune of playing.

Crafting is a grind-a-thon in realtime, you set off tasks and wait for rewards. But you have to upgrade craftsmen (18 hours to hire the basic level, 4 of those produce 1 of the next tier etc).

Your companion, which is typically ample for most of the early game, becomes completely useless from 40 onwards because it caps at lvl 15 (whereas the 20 buck companions get to level 25 and the 40 dollar ones get to level 30). Of course, the difficulty ramps up significantly at around level 40 making it very difficult to solo with any class if you don't have a premium companion.

Mounts? You want to go anything other than basic level, start looking at shucking out 40+ dollars US.

Everything else is grinding to get astral diamonds (the only currency worth having as you can trade it for Zen, the pay for currency). AD is used for most things apart from vendor consumables, auctions etc.

And to top it all off, it's just not fucking fun. Linear (Cryptic calling card if ever there was one), classes are godawful (why can't a guardian warrior use a 2H weapon and vice versa), overuse of "look like Drizzt" to get people to cough up 250 bucks for their bullshit package.

Add to this about 15 days to cap max level (not really playing hard), the foundry being constantly nerfed because people keep using it to game faster XP gain, ridiculously "no bind" end game loot meaning anyone with enough money can be fully equipped with end tier loot without ever stepping in to a top level dungeon...

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
25. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:44 Asmo

On the plus side, the large volume of people who would have bought the XBone in sheer ignorance of just how crap it was now get a slightly better deal...

Kinect watching you fap umm, in your private home is still a dealbreaker though. Unless they give it a sexy female voice. I'm sure that'll be good for a couple of sales at least... X D

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Do smoking bans work? Jun 5, 2013, 19:21 Asmo

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 17:45:
Enjoy smooth Carcinogen Lights. They're cancerrrrrrific! *insert wheezing Tony the Tiger*

If I had my way smokers would have to enter the Cone of Silence from Get Smart when they light up.

And if I had my way, opinionated twats would have their heads inserted up their asses, but I guess you can't always get what you want... /eyeroll

As a smoker, I'm down with the whole "not in enclosed spaces" thing. Work, restaurants, clubs, planes, bus stops, no problem here, I don't want to inflict my habit on anyone.

But no where on a beach? Seriously, I can't walk 20 feet away from anyone and have a smoke? Public parks? Open air areas away from major numbers of people (Honolulu Int Airport for example banned all smoking despite having large open air areas). It's gone beyond protecting the rights of people to have clean air towards actively trying to legislate the choice to smoke out of existence, which is highly fucking ironic considering the moves to decriminlise or even legalise pot use, and the widely accepted knowledge that prohibition never really works...

And if we're going to play the 'harmful to oneself' angle, let's legislate out the ability to do anything that could possibly cause harm, permanent damage, the shortening of your life or death. Booze, fatty food, surfing, skydiving, driving a car. Hell, being 14-44 in Australia, the biggest single cause of death is suicide, so we should probably ban being male, age 14-44... \= |

News Comments > Blizzard's Unannounced MMOG Reset and Delayed?
31. Re: Blizzard's Unannounced MMOG Reset and Delayed? May 29, 2013, 01:32 Asmo

Given the absolute horror that is Neverwinter Online, I can only imagine what a mob like Blizz with a huge budget could turn out with top to bottom monetisation integrated...  

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter
18. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter May 21, 2013, 17:47 Asmo

First I was "FUCK YEAH!!"

Then I was "FUCK NO!?"

Then I was just "fuck... =("

News Comments > Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround
16. Re: Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround May 16, 2013, 17:49 Asmo

LL still has a minor bug where if you use surround (and this is an nVidia "way it's meant to be played" game), the horizontal sensitivity is not synchronous with the vertical. This was far worse in the first game (3x horiz:1x vertical...) making it unplayable in surround.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
48. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 17:55 Asmo

MajorD wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:28:
Interesting, as it was never an issue with Metro 2033. Changing FOV from the 45 (default) to 60 (optimum - any higher looked ridiculous) in Metro 2033 did not cause any issues that I can recall.

Is it due to enhancements to the graphics engine, or the updated '3D' HUD, or both? Regardless, we can chock it up to poor design/forethought and consolitis.

2033 had one hell of a bug for surround/eyefin users. Blow out to 3 screens and your horizontal mouse sensitivity was 3x more than the vertical (both in menu and in game) making it completely unplayable.

There is still some of this in Last Light (despite a "Way it's meant to be played" development and nVidia claiming it's fully compatible with surround/3d surround) which is why I've shelved it for now.

I don't have anyone to blame but myself for my lack of impulse control, but I'm sick and tired of donating money (albeit at GMG's very nice price) to companies for stuff that should work properly but doesn't...

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Beta
9. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 17:35 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:20:
So instead of Half Life 3 we continually get crap like this instead.

Valve have gotten the concept of "cock tease" down to a fine art...

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 8, 2013, 20:12 Asmo

Nah, he means spoilt as in ruined, ie. he's so used to everything being easy that the slightest challenge stops him dead in his tracks.

Essentially, modern gamers are Paris Hilton. Fucking useless without everything being done for them...*

*Of course plenty of modern gamers appreciate challenging games, broad generalisation used to make a joke. ; )

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 7, 2013, 18:05 Asmo

For noting, I built my first 2012 server the other day and had to google how to reboot the fucking thing down (was using shutdown /r in powershell but I just had to know).

Funnily enough, a lot of the functionality can be done using windows key shortcuts... Unless you're on a terminal/rdp session and not sitting at the physical fucking console! In any serious sized business (and even a lot of SOHOs), servers often operate for years without a mouse/keyboard/monitor anywhere near them. Making the UI more convoluted and less usable "just cos" and the only way to partially work around it being completely unworkable due to not being at the physical machine is fucking asinine...

News Comments > City of Steam Open Beta Next Week
2. Re: City of Steam Open Beta Next Week May 7, 2013, 17:47 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:37:
Good crew of people there. And for those curious how good the Unity engine can be check it out. It's a cool little Steampunk ARPG.

Dunno, I tired the beta and just couldn't warm up to it...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Tomb Raider: Shipwrecked
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Tomb Raider: Shipwrecked May 7, 2013, 17:40 Asmo

The multiplayer wasn't in and of itself bad, when you could actually get a game. Any player without the DLC queued up against others without the DLC and I'm guessing those who were interested in MP must have bought the DLC because I got a grand total of 1 game in 3/4's of an hour of trying to get one...

I don't have a problem adding MP to a title, but when it's their entire focus for game expansion, it seems like a huge opportunity missed...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 2, 2013, 17:48 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 2, 2013, 16:42:
I just think this work once get rewarded forever compensation scheme is insane. Imagine if everyone worked that way. Want to enter your house? Gotta pay the door manufacturer and the guy who installed. Sit down on the couch and watch some TV? Gotta pay them too. It's effing ridiculous. When I was younger I had a HUGE collection of records and tapes which is why I feel it's perfectly fine to DL the MP3s of all those albums I already paid for. Same with TV shows, seeing as I have zero choice in cable providers and no choice in the channels I want then I have zero problem with watching stuff online from channels I don't have because they can easily swap them for the many I don't want.

Not that I ever really cared that much but I had a similar self justification for my piracy in the 90's living in Australia.

At the time, with the dollar being low, we were paying 89.99 AUD for a game that would be about 45USD. Usually months after it was released in the US. And of course being younger I had less disposable income.

The big change for me was ease of access. Steam and other online providers gave me a place where I could get game at a (sometimes) reasonable price.

Now my steam collection is over 340 games and I haven't pirated in years because it's just easier to buy legit than it is to fuck around downloading and cracking.

Ease of access is the biggest factor for me as my disposable income is now substantial enough to let me pretty much get what I want. I think ease of access and reasonable pricing would make a far greater inroad in to reducing piracy then any of the other bullshit mooted by the usual suspects...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 17:38 Asmo

I think that's the first sensible thing Molyneux has said in years...  

News Comments > Neverwinter Open Beta
28. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 18:25 Asmo

Darks wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:13:
So some of you don't like the game, that fine. but remember this to those who are still wanting to check it out. its all personal preference.

Nothing stopping them from checking it out, but we're entitled to our opinion.

In my not so humble opinion, it's a pile of junk. Linear (Cryptic's hallmark), far too easy (my 12 rogue was easily working over 16-18 orcs and ogres near Cloaktower), boring shallow classes (srsly, no fucking mace/shield cleric? just some ranged dickhead in a dress?), lacking complexity (you end up with a handful of spells/abilities compared to the literally hundreds of tabletop or DDO).

But yeah, you can pay 200+ bucks to join all the other Drizz't wannabes with a spider mount, a black panther and not enough in game currency to buy one of the higher level mounts on the shop...

The whole game is designed to soak the player of their cash without giving anything marginally entertaining in return.

The foundry is a neat idea but it's also a fucking easy/lazy way to get a bunch of user created content which they can then use to generate more revenue from customers... Do foundry DM's get any return for their maps? In game currency etc?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Apr 30, 2013, 18:14 Asmo

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 16:07:
The game is like 4GB, don't sweat it.

For anyone else who had those AMD Never Settle keys, apparently they're giving people who participated a free copy of this, should be in your email soon.

Lol, fucking win, I got one of those on a card that I RMA'd (already registered the games before it started fucking up) in exchange for a second nvid 680...

Be a good bonus if this code shows up. X D

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Apr 29, 2013, 18:18 Asmo

Axis wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:20:
Neverwinter is NOTHING like a 'spiritual successor' of NWN.

Game is an action mmo with the most bland repetitive gameplay ever. It's dead before it started - you read it here first.

+1 It's fucking Cryptic's standard pap.

This game is to Dungeons & Dragons what McDonald's is to fine cuisine. I'm sure people will have fun with it (hell, I actually had fun with Champions Online, at least for the first playthrough), but don't go in expecting any sort of longevity.

I still can't wrap my head around who would buy the 250 buck "Drizz't Wannabe" pack... Cryptic lifetime subs never proved to be worth a pinch of shit for CO and STO, and this pack is a decent chunk of money for a few flavour items and in game currency (which currently isn't enough to get one of the higher level mounts..)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2013, 18:20 Asmo

We have inscribed a giant dong on another planet...

Honestly, at this point the human race can just slide in to extinction as there is literally nothing greater we can possibly do... ; )

News Comments > Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light
9. Re: Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light Apr 25, 2013, 18:12 Asmo

The first game was one of the few that brought my machine at the time (5970 x2 card on 6080x1200 eyefinity) to it's knees even at mid settings...

But I'm fucking ready this time, 2x 680 4 gigs!

/waits expectantly for the announcement that SLI is not supported

611 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo