Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
48. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 17:55 Asmo

MajorD wrote on May 15, 2013, 10:28:
Interesting, as it was never an issue with Metro 2033. Changing FOV from the 45 (default) to 60 (optimum - any higher looked ridiculous) in Metro 2033 did not cause any issues that I can recall.

Is it due to enhancements to the graphics engine, or the updated '3D' HUD, or both? Regardless, we can chock it up to poor design/forethought and consolitis.

2033 had one hell of a bug for surround/eyefin users. Blow out to 3 screens and your horizontal mouse sensitivity was 3x more than the vertical (both in menu and in game) making it completely unplayable.

There is still some of this in Last Light (despite a "Way it's meant to be played" development and nVidia claiming it's fully compatible with surround/3d surround) which is why I've shelved it for now.

I don't have anyone to blame but myself for my lack of impulse control, but I'm sick and tired of donating money (albeit at GMG's very nice price) to companies for stuff that should work properly but doesn't...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Beta
9. Re: Steam Trading Cards Beta May 15, 2013, 17:35 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2013, 17:20:
So instead of Half Life 3 we continually get crap like this instead.

Valve have gotten the concept of "cock tease" down to a fine art...

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 8, 2013, 20:12 Asmo

Nah, he means spoilt as in ruined, ie. he's so used to everything being easy that the slightest challenge stops him dead in his tracks.

Essentially, modern gamers are Paris Hilton. Fucking useless without everything being done for them...*

*Of course plenty of modern gamers appreciate challenging games, broad generalisation used to make a joke. ; )

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 7, 2013, 18:05 Asmo

For noting, I built my first 2012 server the other day and had to google how to reboot the fucking thing down (was using shutdown /r in powershell but I just had to know).

Funnily enough, a lot of the functionality can be done using windows key shortcuts... Unless you're on a terminal/rdp session and not sitting at the physical fucking console! In any serious sized business (and even a lot of SOHOs), servers often operate for years without a mouse/keyboard/monitor anywhere near them. Making the UI more convoluted and less usable "just cos" and the only way to partially work around it being completely unworkable due to not being at the physical machine is fucking asinine...

News Comments > City of Steam Open Beta Next Week
2. Re: City of Steam Open Beta Next Week May 7, 2013, 17:47 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2013, 11:37:
Good crew of people there. And for those curious how good the Unity engine can be check it out. It's a cool little Steampunk ARPG.

Dunno, I tired the beta and just couldn't warm up to it...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Tomb Raider: Shipwrecked
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Tomb Raider: Shipwrecked May 7, 2013, 17:40 Asmo

The multiplayer wasn't in and of itself bad, when you could actually get a game. Any player without the DLC queued up against others without the DLC and I'm guessing those who were interested in MP must have bought the DLC because I got a grand total of 1 game in 3/4's of an hour of trying to get one...

I don't have a problem adding MP to a title, but when it's their entire focus for game expansion, it seems like a huge opportunity missed...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 2, 2013, 17:48 Asmo

Cutter wrote on May 2, 2013, 16:42:
I just think this work once get rewarded forever compensation scheme is insane. Imagine if everyone worked that way. Want to enter your house? Gotta pay the door manufacturer and the guy who installed. Sit down on the couch and watch some TV? Gotta pay them too. It's effing ridiculous. When I was younger I had a HUGE collection of records and tapes which is why I feel it's perfectly fine to DL the MP3s of all those albums I already paid for. Same with TV shows, seeing as I have zero choice in cable providers and no choice in the channels I want then I have zero problem with watching stuff online from channels I don't have because they can easily swap them for the many I don't want.

Not that I ever really cared that much but I had a similar self justification for my piracy in the 90's living in Australia.

At the time, with the dollar being low, we were paying 89.99 AUD for a game that would be about 45USD. Usually months after it was released in the US. And of course being younger I had less disposable income.

The big change for me was ease of access. Steam and other online providers gave me a place where I could get game at a (sometimes) reasonable price.

Now my steam collection is over 340 games and I haven't pirated in years because it's just easier to buy legit than it is to fuck around downloading and cracking.

Ease of access is the biggest factor for me as my disposable income is now substantial enough to let me pretty much get what I want. I think ease of access and reasonable pricing would make a far greater inroad in to reducing piracy then any of the other bullshit mooted by the usual suspects...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 2, 2013, 17:38 Asmo

I think that's the first sensible thing Molyneux has said in years...  

News Comments > Neverwinter Open Beta
28. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta May 1, 2013, 18:25 Asmo

Darks wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:13:
So some of you don't like the game, that fine. but remember this to those who are still wanting to check it out. its all personal preference.

Nothing stopping them from checking it out, but we're entitled to our opinion.

In my not so humble opinion, it's a pile of junk. Linear (Cryptic's hallmark), far too easy (my 12 rogue was easily working over 16-18 orcs and ogres near Cloaktower), boring shallow classes (srsly, no fucking mace/shield cleric? just some ranged dickhead in a dress?), lacking complexity (you end up with a handful of spells/abilities compared to the literally hundreds of tabletop or DDO).

But yeah, you can pay 200+ bucks to join all the other Drizz't wannabes with a spider mount, a black panther and not enough in game currency to buy one of the higher level mounts on the shop...

The whole game is designed to soak the player of their cash without giving anything marginally entertaining in return.

The foundry is a neat idea but it's also a fucking easy/lazy way to get a bunch of user created content which they can then use to generate more revenue from customers... Do foundry DM's get any return for their maps? In game currency etc?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Apr 30, 2013, 18:14 Asmo

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 16:07:
The game is like 4GB, don't sweat it.

For anyone else who had those AMD Never Settle keys, apparently they're giving people who participated a free copy of this, should be in your email soon.

Lol, fucking win, I got one of those on a card that I RMA'd (already registered the games before it started fucking up) in exchange for a second nvid 680...

Be a good bonus if this code shows up. X D

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Apr 29, 2013, 18:18 Asmo

Axis wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:20:
Neverwinter is NOTHING like a 'spiritual successor' of NWN.

Game is an action mmo with the most bland repetitive gameplay ever. It's dead before it started - you read it here first.

+1 It's fucking Cryptic's standard pap.

This game is to Dungeons & Dragons what McDonald's is to fine cuisine. I'm sure people will have fun with it (hell, I actually had fun with Champions Online, at least for the first playthrough), but don't go in expecting any sort of longevity.

I still can't wrap my head around who would buy the 250 buck "Drizz't Wannabe" pack... Cryptic lifetime subs never proved to be worth a pinch of shit for CO and STO, and this pack is a decent chunk of money for a few flavour items and in game currency (which currently isn't enough to get one of the higher level mounts..)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2013, 18:20 Asmo

We have inscribed a giant dong on another planet...

Honestly, at this point the human race can just slide in to extinction as there is literally nothing greater we can possibly do... ; )

News Comments > Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light
9. Re: Gone Gold - Metro: Last Light Apr 25, 2013, 18:12 Asmo

The first game was one of the few that brought my machine at the time (5970 x2 card on 6080x1200 eyefinity) to it's knees even at mid settings...

But I'm fucking ready this time, 2x 680 4 gigs!

/waits expectantly for the announcement that SLI is not supported

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Monaco
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Monaco Apr 25, 2013, 18:09 Asmo

The Redhead: Manipulative and murderous...

I lol'd...

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service
4. Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service Apr 25, 2013, 18:05 Asmo

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:38:
In other news, a sandbox MMORPG with a 15 buck monthly fee? I PREDICT GREAT THINGS!! Rolleyes

Creston

With the number of free 2 play clunkers I've tried out over the last couple of years, I don't honestly mind a sub for a good game.

eg. I played Runes of Magic for a bit (my support group says it's important to admit that you made a mistake as part of healing from it ; ) and the basic game was very limited until you 'invested' in the in game currency.

LOTRO went it first went F2P (or DDO for that matter) were both games I preferred to sub for as I ended up spending less money on a sub than I would have buying adventure packs etc.

It would be advantageous if they offered a trial at least, most people aren't going to throw in money + a sub for.. actually, that's probably bullshit. Given short attention spans these days I don't doubt plenty of people will throw money at them just so they can go bitch about OP class X on the forums... *grin*

News Comments > World of Tanks Security "Event"
7. Re: World of Tanks Security Apr 22, 2013, 18:27 Asmo

It's very grindy. Even with a prem account, some tanks are just hell on earth (eg. the ISU152 ruski tank destroyer, the grind to the BL10 uber cannon of doom is one of the most depressing in the game).

If you want to pay to win, you can piss gold up the wall to buy the high performing ammo. And still suck. I've killed plenty of wallet warriors. You have to play to the strengths of the tank. Some tanks are snipers, some are flankers, some can take a ludicrous amount of damage and some have weak spots a mile wide. New players just tend to aim centre of mass (or worse, directly at the gun mount where the mantlet has the absolute thickest armour on the tank).

It also matters how far you can see, and what you can spot. Certain tanks are harder to see than others, and you can use this to your advantage.

If you only play occasionally and have difficulty getting credits together, or leveling up crews, buy a premium tank rather than premium time. Premium tanks have three major benefits.

-They are already elited, which means all XP earned on them is "extra" XP. You can either route this to the crew or in to free XP.

-You do NOT need to retrain a crew of a similar tank type (and nation) to use them on your prem tank. So if you have a premium heavy tank, you can transfer the crew from another heavy tank in to it and they will perform as if they were trained. Crew shuffling takes some time, but it means you can play an IS3 (ruski heavy) and have a premium IS6, for example, and use one IS3 crew to play in both tanks. Grind credits and XP in the 6, move to the 3 when you really want to maul people. Light tanks are generally a poor prem investment as they never really earn much in the way of credits and you'll only have limited ability to xfer crews to it.

-Prem tanks are a one off cost. Yes, they are expensive (~20-55 USD typically), but you can then play them anytime you want (and you can also choose to buy a day of premium + a premium tank = credits galore)

It should be noted that premium tanks are not typically WTFOP compared to standard tanks. Generally a standard tank starts off weak and ends strong. Prems sit in the middle and are usually quirky, ie. have weak spots or a weak gun compared to other similar tier vehicles.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
28. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:44 Asmo

edaciousx wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:14:
And for DNF... gearbox just finished it up, they didn't really make the game.

Yeah, fairs fair, they just brought the product to the market (at a ridiculous f#cking price point mind you...)

News Comments > Binding of Isaac Sells 2 Million
7. Re: Binding of Isaac Sells 2 Million Apr 21, 2013, 18:11 Asmo

The best bit about games like this is that they're often less than the cost of lunch, a pack of cigarettes or in some places, a cup of damn coffee. And yet you can hundreds of hours of fun out of em.

I certainly pissed away more money at arcades as a kid then the cost of some of these indie titles. And this one just happens to be great to boot.

News Comments > Firefall Open Beta in July; Signups Begin
8. Re: Firefall Open Beta in July; Signups Begin Apr 18, 2013, 17:30 Asmo

Darjeeling, if you still want that beta invite PM me your email addy (hotmail or whatever is fine), the invites are done by plugging the email address in to their invite system and they send you an email with a beta key.

Cheers,
Asmo

News Comments > Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer
36. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 17:33 Asmo

The tutorial had me in bloody tears..

"Press A now to prove that you have the ability to read..."

The whole time, Biehn is in the background "Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me..."

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo