Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 570 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2013, 19:15 Asmo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:05:
Hey now I'm sure Congress is very broken up about their 17% approval rating. Devastated even. Yup.

Then link politicians pay rate to their approval rating...

The one sure fire guarantee to get a public servant to perform is linking their pay to their performance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
28. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 18:32 Asmo

Since the combat was one of the major let downs of Infinite (it didn't take long to find the combat sections ground along, while the story bits were the parts that engrossed me and coaxed me on), the arena actually seems pointless... =\  

News Comments > Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin
20. Re: Enhanced Steam Browser Plugin Jul 22, 2013, 17:53 Asmo

I dunno, some of those estimate sights aren't recording time against games when I know that I've played em (Fallout 3 on mine says never played but I know that I put upwards of 100 hours in to it).  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Steam Psychology... Jul 16, 2013, 23:46 Asmo

Are there any parts of that article that actually surprised anyone? I don't think you need to actually study psychology to see a page full of hooks every time you check what's new... =)  

News Comments > Neverwinter Free & Premium Content Next Month
17. Re: Neverwinter Free & Premium Content Next Month Jul 16, 2013, 18:34 Asmo

Kegaro wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 14:49:
It's not pay to win, it's pay to have right now. Everything in game is obtainable without having to pay for anything. Other then a few cosmetic things, that aren't game changing.

It's a lot closer to the pay2win end of the scale with things like crafting tools/companions etc offering dramatic improvements over the free options...

The system is punitive beyond belief. Yes, you can make 60 without spending a cent (I did) but it's not fun to do so. The game is linear (typical Cryptic) and from 45 onwards, it makes sure you know that your companion is miles out of their depth. They draw aggro and they'll be dead in seconds.

I can't believe anyone would play through this pile of tripe twice though, literally nothing changes except you're spamming a different type of attack. La dee fucking da...

Rift's model is, imo, the best F2P offering atm. It's pay2go faster, prices are reasonable (mounts for 60 credits or 45-50 cents), gameplay is deeper and less linear yadda yadda. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but they do not punish their players if they choose to play free.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jul 15, 2013, 18:53 Asmo

Ah, the heady days of irrational and hysterical money throwing that is the steam sale...

I know I've splashed for a few things I normally wouldn't bother with because they were cheaper than a cup of coffee.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2013, 18:36 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 15:45:
Like most everyone else I would have ZERO interest in backing a company if all the extra money just mean they were going to go out and do hookers and blow with it.

Well, unless we were all invited to the party right?!? /wipes nose

The argument from the article is specious, most KS's aim for what they think is an achievable goal, but I'm sure they have aspirations for the extra cool shit they could put in their game if funding were available. After all, a lot of KS's are dream games for these guys, the sort of stuff big production houses won't touch.

Some have obviously been completely overwhelmed by the response from the community. They want to build a bigger and better game, we came to the party, so they get to make a better product (hopefully

As for using the extra funds as reinvestment for another title, I think that writer forgets that KS =\= total revenue for a game. Games go retail on completion. If the game happens to have a wildly successful KS and ends up jammed packed with cool features, it will probably do better at retail afterwards than it would have in a vanilla state...

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 17:53 Asmo

Eh, they don't owe us anything and it's always nice to get something you've had your eye on for cheap.

For myself, I already have too many games/mmos/etc to play. I'll keep an eye on it but nothing a) that I don't already own or b) that I'm interested in has popped up yet.

Side note, this trading card thing is hilarious. If Valved traded in software retail for crack cocaine dealing, I think they'd have half the world hooked in the first week with their sneaky marketing.

News Comments > Star Citizen Campaign Soars
16. Re: Star Citizen Campaign Soars Jul 8, 2013, 18:12 Asmo

John wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 11:24:
Wow, where do they keep getting money from?? I backed this on KS but I'm surprised they are still making millions without any kind of advertising that I know of. I just hope they use some of that money to improve/expand the SP portion of the game.

I think it's a bit of a nostalgia combined with some good old... err, new fashioned KS hysteria. And remember, the people who played WC originally are now the 30-40 somethings with some disposable income to play with.

I'm in a player organisation for over 25's (http://theoldergamers.com/) and currently our player "fleet" probably has 15-25 grand worth of purchased ships including 2 Idris corvettes (which between them account for ~$2700 bucks iirc).

And I thought people were nuts to spend 50 bucks buying a tank in World of Tanks...

I went back and looked at my original pledge (digi freelancer, 110 bucks for a ship, alpha/beta access, creds, full SP game + MP game) and I'm satisfied with it, but a lot of our guys caught the "gotta get life time insurance" bug, or decided to plunk down 200-250 a pop for shit like fuel tankers because the fleet might need them.

News Comments > Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life
6. Re: Final Sven Co-op for Half-Life Jul 3, 2013, 17:45 Asmo

Next announcement, Half Life 3 co-op! X D  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 2, 2013, 23:21 Asmo

The OS I don't want with the features I don't like now has ads which I despise...

I'm just going to pull an XP, stick with Win 7 for as long as possible then hope Win 9 stays true to form as the "good" OS...

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 2, 2013, 17:52 Asmo

120 hours in Fallout:NV only to find a bug introduced in the 60 odd hours spent (the ghoul rocket mission) had fatally corrupted the save game so that I could not complete the final Hoover dam area. As soon as I went to enter the damn proper during the final battle, it unrecoverably crashed. This was after taking all the precautions (separate saves, not using quick/autosave etc). Having bought all the DLC etc but not started it yet, I put it down and have never picked it back up.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Battle Island Plans Jul 2, 2013, 17:32 Asmo

The biggest failing of this game is that with no PvE*, the only thing to do is the thing that nets you the most XP...

*By that I mean server originated goals. ie. Instead of trying to get players to converge on a spot, offer bonuses for taking/holding/defending key installations. Let the squad leader nominate whether your force is aircav, frontline battle units, recon etc and have the game determine goals, with rewards/incentives, on the map all designed to funnel players towards each other.

This seemed to be a problem with classic planetside as well, where everyone zergs in a different place farming XP but very few actual huge battles occur.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 19:46 Asmo

Try Mortal Online or Embers of Caerus (EoC is still a WIP) if you want a hard core experience.

Weight of what you are carrying in that game is deadly serious. Try to swim with 50 lbs of iron in your backpack, you will drown. Full PvP with a criminal system (so you can be a bandit or murderer but one you get known as one, you're likely to be hunted down and flayed alive), skill based combat.

The problem is, for all the nostalgia, who still plays EQ? It's F2P now, show of hands how many people still play? Or UO online (the grandfather of MMOs which really hurt you hard continually)?

SWG emulator (Pre NGE/CU) is also available. I went back and played it not long ago. It's still fun but it's almost all sandbox and very little theme park. Sandbox is fun but it's also nice to be directed sometimes. Consequently, I quit playing it because, ya know, I already put years in to SWG and I while I enjoyed it, I don't really miss it.

We lament how casual/simple it's become, but that's the way things are going because it's what most people want. Look at Cryptic games, I've hit max level in Champs Online/Star Trek Online/Neverwinter Online in 5 days, 6 days and 11 days respectively (slow on Neverwinter because I refused to give them a cent even though the boosts would have sped up the "experience").

Options still exist but they are sparsely populated. Eve is a great example of one of those niches which are successful because they appeal to a certain type of player. Don't expect to see a hugely popular hard core game, the majority just don't want to invest the time.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 30, 2013, 23:30 Asmo

F2P is a viable alternative to get people to try your product and tempt them to buy in to it.

Converting to F2P may indicate that subs are dropping (they certainly were in TOR), but it does not mean the game is or has been losing money.

Further, conversion to F2P is not free, it's another cost to be sunk in to the final "must make at least this much to cover costs" total. Going with the same method of taking disparate and anecdotal bits of evidence and knitting them together in to some form of narrative, the move to F2P was an effort to get a bigger consumer base because subs were waning and it was obviously worth more to keep the game running albeit on a more unpredictable income stream than it was to just shut it down.

If they were staring down a hundred + million in unrecoverable costs and the game was losing money, they'd shut it down. EA does not seem particularly caring of it's userbase or it's studios, I doubt they'd keep the game live for sentimental reasons...

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
22. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 18:02 Asmo

Meh, there are plenty of ways to get around it, VPN being the most obvious choice, although some etailers (GMG iirc, but also ozgamestore as well) will sell you Steam codes that work just fine.

The problem is that the board still has the ability to RC (refused classification) titles, ie. essentially banning the import and sale of them, but not the owning... RC spans the gap between R18 and illegal (beastiality/snuff/kiddie pron etc).

Never mind that Far Cry 3 was perfectly legal, Saints Row 3, GTAIV etc. And despite a nationwide move to R18, individual states can still stick to the older MA15+ only rating if they want to...

Fucking shitballs moral authorities and police states these days, you'd think living in the west and the first world, we'd have ended up further ahead of the game by now...

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2013, 01:22 Asmo

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:31:
When the people don't care transparency of course the government will abuse it, the default state of humanity is continually reach for more and government is of the people. When you get right down to it all government is a form of oppression, society in general is a series of trade offs that you make to hopefully your benefit. If people will tolerate their privacy being given up (and it appears they will) then I don't necessarily like that but to say it's the governments fault alone is pretty asinine. There is plenty of blame to go around and we need look no further than ourselves for not demanding accountability and oversight. The irony here is that PRISM took place within the legal confines of the system.

And when humans like Manning and Snowden make the sacrifice and instead of just accepting status quo and letting apathy win, they stand up and do something?

Sometimes it takes martyrs, "criminals" and patriots to stand up when everyone else is too afraid or too lazy.

News Comments > OZombie Kickstarter
9. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Jun 24, 2013, 23:42 Asmo

I think my kickstarter fatigue just kicked (kickstarted?) in... \= |  

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week
4. Re: Sword of the Stars: The Pit MindGames Next Week Jun 24, 2013, 23:40 Asmo

Quite enjoyable little game but between Rift:F2P, UnEpic, World of Tanks and replaying ME3, I just don't have the damn time...

Side note, I'm fucking horrible at time organisation and prioritisation...

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 24, 2013, 19:48 Asmo

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 18:47:
The Patriot Act is more than airport searches and does plenty of good for the bad it does as well but you are only interested in hyperbole and bullet point arguments so *shrug*. There's a difference between saying the US is perfect and saying it is a good example of freedom, liberty and democracy. Your earlier criteria was amusing, listing things like riots and illegal arrests as hallmarks when last I checked Canada had some of those lately too, not to mention it's own version of PRISM and several other violations of "civil liberties".

Technology outpaces law and the law plays catch up, government is slow to react in almost every country. It takes time for reasonable, middle ground policy to take effect and there are often several extremes that test the boundaries and help establish that. The US has many faults but it's citizens enjoy more freedom than many other countries and for all of your bluster, you enjoy many of them by proxy.

If you think Russia and China are better examples than the US then well, I hear immigration is open.

Essentially your argument boils down to:

I like the US because it uses lube and gives you cab money afterwards...

There are plenty of fine examples of people in the US, but the country has had the wool pulled over it's eyes for so long it's not funny. Just because the US is more subtle in it's police state efforts does not make it any less of a police state than countries like Russia or China. The war on drugs, police abuses, PRISM etc.

Bragging because your the best cared for cows in the slaughterhouse is asinine.

Manning and Snowden are true patriots, if such a thing exists. Government transparency is not something we should need to continually ask for, it should be the default setting.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.

That's the oath of office for the US Congress and Senate... True faith? /lol

570 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo