Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 568 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 21, 2013, 23:40 Asmo

Never fails to amaze me how people fall for that shit...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 17:51 Asmo

It's a bizarre feeling to have been a (mostly lurking) member of a community so long you actually remember when Hudson first arrived. Happy

Srsly Blue, we've seen a lot of personal news over the years and I think that's one of the things that keep me coming back, you actually respect your readers enough that you do share with us. Never feel like you can't.

With that in mind, all the best for Hudson. We'll all be here no matter what happens.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released
53. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 15, 2013, 20:01 Asmo

SlimRam wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 23:39:
If you remember, the Falcon had probably minimal shields, didn't look like much, but was VERY FAST and quite maneuverable for her size (she could almost out fly tie fighters).....Also i'll have to make some hidden cargo areas....for hiding myself if I get boarded *Cue the Darth Vader theme* DUM DUM DI DUM DUM DI DUM DUM DI DUM

I don't want to go all super nerd on you but the Falcon had ridiculously good shielding along with Imperial cruiser class hull plating (ablative armour). In almost any game system which limits the ability for a player to pack tech on a ship, it would be considered WTFOP

I gotta say though, there is some sort of divine madness surrounding this project. The TOG (The Older Gamers, I'm a member) 'fleet' consists of 116 members, 260 ships including 4 fucking Idris corvettes (3x P and one of the limited M variants) and a Vanduul Scythe (also limited)...

We're looking at a combined 'investment' of 30+ grand so far (the Rear Admiral pack with the Idris P runs 5,000 USD...), and every new ship released get's quite a few purchases.

I've felt burnt before dropping a couple of hundred on a lifetime sub for The Secret World. There's no way in hell I would drop 5 fucking thousand on a virtual spaceship for a game I don't even know if I like yet..

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 17:37 Asmo

It's weird, I've been using it for ages and literally never had a problem since moving to it (used to use the corporate version we had of McAfee which we were licensed for home for, but it was kludgy as hell).

Guess it's time to look for a new product..

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 19:09 Asmo

Erm, wasn't the video card replaced previously/recently and the issues persisted?

If so, I'd go with mobo.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 12, 2013, 18:54 Asmo

NKD wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 18:03:
Ragers are usually blaming their losses/shortcomings on other people, and as such aren't as likely to improve as someone goes "Welp, I fucked that up, I'll do something different next time."

It's a bit of a chicken/egg argument though.

People rage for a reason. From not getting your lane/jungle pick, or someone else choosing the champ you wanted to use, or from trying to play your best while the rest of the team feeds, or fucks around or w/e. Yeah, it can often be a person with crappy skills blaming the rest of the team, but I'd guess it's as often a good player completely demoralised and annoyed that they are being dragged down by poor players.

News Comments > WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst
38. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 18:41 Asmo

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 12:48:
So the Pandas were a disappointment?

Disappointment infers high expectations...

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
50. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 17:52 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 17:35:
Looks like there's considerable confusion over this that needs to be cleared up as to the nuts and bolts of how it all exactly works.

Indeed, although I'm somewhat optimistic that at some point, they'll enable access so the owner can be logged in playing one game, and the borrower can be logged in playing another. Maybe some sort of check out/in system rather than access to the entire library.

The biggest boon from this for me is that I can set up a PC for my son which he can screw with to his hearts desire (staying away from my pristine unfucked games PC), and he can play my considerable library when I'm not online. Previously, I would have had to let him use my computer or buy a second copy. Certainly a step in the right direction for the enabling of users to share their content, particularly games they've already played and uninstalled.

News Comments > Space Engineers Announced
7. Re: Space Engineers Announced Sep 9, 2013, 18:08 Asmo

I contributed very early to Miner Wars (I love the whole Descent style gameplay) and they never even came vaguely close to fulfilling their promises on it. It's a half baked game and, imo, a cash grab. Fool me once and all that.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2013, 00:09 Asmo

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 23:06:
ARMAGARD! DICKWOLVES! RAGE!!

Seriously, it takes no effort at all to ignore something you don't like, but it takes a real effort to get all worked up over nothing. The comic was FUNNY. It was meant to illustrate how ridiculous these theme park quests are in MMOs. Instead a very loud vocal minority latched on to the word rape in the comic and ARMAGARD! DICKWOLVES! RAGE!!

Exactly.

The joke was that the "hero" ceased to care when he had finished his x of y quest. They could have said they were slapped to sleep with trouts. A glaring contrast was established by using a most heinous crime with the complete lack of care from the PC character.

I find myself dramatically unsympathetic when people get offended about a joke without understanding (or in most cases, even knowing) it... Or worse, purposefully ignoring the actual joke and trying to say that it's about rape when it's clearly not.

Good for page counts though...

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 100 Titles
10. Re: Steam Greenlights 100 Titles Aug 29, 2013, 01:27 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 00:03:
Yeah, way too much crap. They need to get a lot more discriminating.

Nah, they just need a better search and browse system, including tabs.

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access
3. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access Aug 19, 2013, 21:36 Asmo

What? NO! I have too many fucking games already and still the awesome keeps coming... WHY?!?!?!  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 15, 2013, 00:59 Asmo

I wish I could bottle "Don't fucking care what you think" and sell it, I'd be a trillionaire...

There are so many people who live or die because of the opinions of people, some of the time people they don't know and will never meet. That to me seems ludicrous...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 20:12 Asmo

This is why the US min wage should change...

By keeping the wage low, employees are forced to seek state assistance which costs the taxpayer money. Walmart saves on staff costs and pockets the difference as profit. Meanwhile, the US continues to run an enormous deficit yearly which contributes to gross US debt which all taxpayers have to shoulder eventually...

The specious argument that raising min wage causes items to cost more ignores the fact that keeping people in virtual poverty costs the state more as well. It ignores that fact that as more people have more money to spend, they also spend more which promotes employment, investment, generates extra taxable revenue etc. Or that people on the poverty line may become homeless, and that low socio-economic groups are often the ones that resort to crime, both which have a heavy societal cost at the end of the day.

It might actually be close to a zero sum game to most regular customers (money lost with increased sticker prices is recouped by less reliance of low wage staff on welfare). Of course, they would have to open their eyes to greater issues other than "HOLY FUCKBALLS MY CHEESEBURGER IS 7c MORE EXPENSIVE /wrists!!"

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2013, 18:10 Asmo

nin wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:17:
You should Kickstart that. You'd potentially get money and get laid...but if you get enough backers, you might get something else (requiring penicillin or the like), too.

Humpstarter? Just try not to get too much crowd sauce on yourself...

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014
17. Re: Xbox One Controller for PCs in 2014 Aug 13, 2013, 01:40 Asmo

I've already got a logitech gamepad which emulates xbox controls but it's closer in form factor to the dual shock thanks MS...  

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
24. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 18:04 Asmo

If you're talking about a game, and the only positive things you can think of are "Oh, the megatextures were nice, the engine was good, the tech was impressive", then the game has failed abysmally...

As for the DLC, seriously, they wait a year to bring out DLC for an uninspired game that most people didn't enjoy in the first place? There's a winning business model...

News Comments > The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer
11. Re: The Bureau XCOM Declassified YOLO Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 17:56 Asmo

Send wave after wave of your own men until their preset kill counters are full and they shut do...

What, they don't have preset kill counters?

I really enjoyed XCOM playing classic/ironman mode, but success is almost entirely dependent on a few factors (never dash + pumping out satellites asap early) plus a healthy dose of luck.

Kinda interested in Bureau but for 71 AUD (after Steam's "special"), I'll be looking for a cheaper option if I buy early at all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2013, 19:15 Asmo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:05:
Hey now I'm sure Congress is very broken up about their 17% approval rating. Devastated even. Yup.

Then link politicians pay rate to their approval rating...

The one sure fire guarantee to get a public servant to perform is linking their pay to their performance.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
28. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 18:32 Asmo

Since the combat was one of the major let downs of Infinite (it didn't take long to find the combat sections ground along, while the story bits were the parts that engrossed me and coaxed me on), the arena actually seems pointless... =\  

568 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo