Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 588 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
63. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 16:46 Asmo

WaltC wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:18:
I find it disturbing because nothing is more boring to me than cartoon, pretend romances in a 3d RPG. Hopefully, this is something that can be easily bypassed completely. Ugh. Dime romance novels are everywhere...not needed inside 3d games, too.

It has always been an option to "just say no", Bioware characters do not sexually assault you against your wishes... Apart from Morinth... X D

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead State
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead State Dec 4, 2014, 18:37 Asmo

It was like 30 bucks for early access (and has been pretty fun so far). I don't doubt you'd probably pick it up at the xmas sales cheaper, but if you're in to turn based games and don't mind yet another zombie oriented title, it's a decent little game.  

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
43. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 17:03 Asmo

Creston wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 16:24:
Not really. It's born out of the Australian government refusing to create an actually valid Adults Only/18+ rating for games (and perhaps other media), so anything that doesn't fit their qualification for the next lower ranking automatically gets rejected as unfit for society.

The R18 rating for games has been brought in already, but to fairly criticise this, you have to understand it.

To change the rule, it requires all state attorney generals to agree to change the legislation. For years, one AG from South Australia (which is kinda our bible belt/ultra conservative state) blocked this change while everyone else agreed to it.

The entire country was held to the whim of one person...

When he left office, it was pretty short order before the change was made (short in bureaucratic red tape terms). So much so that we now have the full uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2 being made available via patch as Valve had the game re-rated.

I get it, the small news cuts you get from Oz sound bloody stupid, and believe us Australians, they are bloody stupid and we agree with you 100%. That does not mean the entire country is populated with conservative morons. ; )

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
40. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 16:42 Asmo

InBlack wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 09:51:
Heh. I wonder if anyone will appreciate the irony. What's with the Australians being such prudes? They seem to be at a place where the US was a few years (decades?) ago.

Most Australians don't give a fuck. We're a country of almost 25 million odd people, 40,000 signed an online petition, the easiest and slackest way to get numbers (40,000 wouldn't have wasted a stamp and sent a letter).

That's hardly a "majority" of Target customers...

As with any country, a small minority with a loud voice catch the attention. The majority of people don't care one way or another, and at the other end of the spectrum, you have people who support retailers stocking this game.

eg. I could put forward any number of American religious and "concerned" citizen organisations that hold far right wing conservative views and ask "Wtf is up with America?", it wouldn't come close to encompassing the attitudes of the majority, yes?

News Comments > This War of Mine Recoups Costs in Two Days
4. Re: This War of Mine Recoups Costs in Two Days Dec 1, 2014, 16:41 Asmo

The game is point and click, very little keyboard required, which can make combat a little frustrating at time (ie. sneaking/backstabbing or face to face combat often results in lethally/fatally wounded survivors), but ultimately, the game does capture some sense of constantly being seconds away from disaster (eg. watching your water catchers so they don't freeze up during winter, cycling sleep periods, finding smokes for that one guy that won't stop f#cking complaining about no smokes...)

Excellent game, enjoying it thoroughly. Pro-tip for people that want to trade, meds of all types are gold. You can get a metric fucktonne of building materials for a couple of bandages, but it might come back to bite you in the ass in the long run... ; )

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
19. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 22:41 Asmo

Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 21:35:
NicklePop wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 21:03:
but for now, it's the best game out
Assuming your context is MMORPGs, I actually believe you. But that's not so much a statement of WoW being good these days, as everything just being bad.

I have completely lost hope in anyone being able to make a good MMORPG any more. Blizzard included.

I'm guessing you're not a sub then, so you're basing your opinion on an assumption without ever seeing the content.

I'm no fanboi, I have walked away from WoW multiple times over the last 10 years (I've spent more of that time not subbed than subbed). With that in mind...

Pro's

-Quests are fun, snappy, there's good humour and some genuinely touching/emotional moments in there.
-The garrison, which is basically a grind station, accomplishes the same thing housing does in other MMO's. It gives you a place that is yours, even if the you have little say over the deocrations.
-Dungeon fights seem to be much more active now, some very clever and interesting mechanics have been introduced.
-Loot loot everywhere (actually, this is kinda good/bad), you can't go three feet without a blue or purple dropping. Gearing is very easy.
-Zones, characters, voice acting, even the in game cutscenes are all great quality, tell a pretty clear and coherent story.

Cons

-No flying at max level yet
-Crafting is god awful, it's the mutant pimple on the face of a supermodel...
-There are certainly some challenging open world fights, but for the most part, you're pretty safe unless you do something rampantly stupid like pull half a zone. Could use a bit more danger/harder hitting mobs (that being said, my toons didn't start getting upgrades until lvl 97, so I overgeared the early zones significantly)

It won't appeal to everyone, and it shouldn't try to, but it's easy to play, easy to like and while it had it's launch day issues with queues/ddos etc, Blizz has done a pretty fine job of resolving those issues quickly.

I'm not trying to convince you to play if you're not interested, but the content this time around is genuinely good. There are things that are a bit hard to wrap the head around or are just nonsense (CRAFTING!!!! /shakes fists at the sky), but for the most part, it's a great bundle that will keep people playing for at least a couple of months for a reasonable price.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
13. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 18, 2014, 23:04 Asmo

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 22:21:
Asmo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 22:20:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 22:04:
Yeah but they get to expose the assholes and make fun of them. At least it ought to make them feel better.

Until it backfires on them...

I was stuck with the deliberate bug in Titan Quest where early in the first act, performance would go to crap and it would be unplayable. I went to the forums and was ridiculed and abused by posters and stuff alike for pirating the game, as it was deliberately included to kick in for hacked versions.

My problem, once I'd established with IL that I was a legitimate customer, was that securom was allowing the game to load but then insisting my disk was a copy and kicking in the deliberate corruption bomb once I'd start playing the game.

So yeah, while I'm happy for game companies to try and combat piracy, I get pissed as fuck when it affects their paying customers. If you can't discriminate well enough, don't fucking bother...

I got the same bug, but even though I bought the game I was using a fixed.exe because I didn't like having to change out CD's, so I guess it was meant for me.

The fixed .exe would have triggered it as well, but you are a paying customer... The disc was a pita, particularly when securom would refuse to read it a number of times, forcing you to eject/reload each time.

I can live with Steam, Origin, Ubisoft's abortion as long as they work as they don't require physical media which can be damaged. Putting in DRM that can backfire on legit users is just a bad idea because inevitably someone doing the right thing is going to get caught up with the pirates...

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective
8. Re: Far Cry 4 Piracy Perspective Nov 18, 2014, 22:20 Asmo

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 22:04:
Yeah but they get to expose the assholes and make fun of them. At least it ought to make them feel better.

Until it backfires on them...

I was stuck with the deliberate bug in Titan Quest where early in the first act, performance would go to crap and it would be unplayable. I went to the forums and was ridiculed and abused by posters and stuff alike for pirating the game, as it was deliberately included to kick in for hacked versions.

My problem, once I'd established with IL that I was a legitimate customer, was that securom was allowing the game to load but then insisting my disk was a copy and kicking in the deliberate corruption bomb once I'd start playing the game.

So yeah, while I'm happy for game companies to try and combat piracy, I get pissed as fuck when it affects their paying customers. If you can't discriminate well enough, don't fucking bother...

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
13. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 16:41 Asmo

PHJF wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:18:
300 megs????

Welcome to the new world order...

Side note, anyone running these with surround (multi monitor) and is there a workable option from switching to a single monitor via hotkey?

I'm still on 3.27, the last driver that supported the winkey+p swap between surround and single, which is necessary particularly for indie games which do not natively support multi monitor solutions. Nvidia removed the simple option of using windows functionality and put in place a solution that was completely non functional the last time I checked... = (

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
23. Re: removed Nov 17, 2014, 18:06 Asmo

I cannot imagine living in a universe where a goat MMO doesn't exist...

Srsly though, this is a great game for having child like fun. You know, building a lego city just to pretend to be a monster and smash it flat. Not for serious folk in the least (although they probably need the catharsis more).

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
23. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 6, 2014, 17:06 Asmo

Bought through GOG a while ago (they had a slightly trimmed price + credit for games on GOG iirc), I could probably have gotten a better deal elsewhere but these guys honestly deserve every cent for their titles. Have been a class act all the way through, their products drop fully formed and functional (I had almost no bug issues with Witcher 1 & 2), which is tragic that it's exceptional these days... Story, action, setting, challenge, it hit all the right notes for me.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2014, 19:01 Asmo

I got a laugh that SoM is a nVidia "the way it's meant to be played" game...

I use 2x 680 4 gigs (sli) on 6088x1200 (3x 1920x1200), 3x1 surround.

I can't isolate to one screen, 3 screen renders only 1.3 screens worth of game, but still acts like it's doing the full area, performance is shithouse (SLI doesn't seem to be fully working).

Way it's meant to be played... Fucking bullshit, does this crap even mean anything anymore??

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
46. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 17:44 Asmo

nVidia:The way it's meant to be played...

Cept shit SLI support and 3 screen surround is broken.

Didn't get much time in game, looks fun but seriously, if nVidia is your flagship partner and a person using 2x nvidia cards can't use two of their highly promoted pictures, what's the fucking point?!?!

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Sep 29, 2014, 17:48 Asmo

Playing Gauntlet 4 way with some mates, not much thinking required (apart from the Elf continually shooting the fucking food /guiltylook) and a good old bit of co-op fun.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
46. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 17:44 Asmo

Funny, I haven't had any bugs so far, everything has been dead smooth.

Enjoying the game immensely at this point.

News Comments > ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy
8. Re: ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy Sep 16, 2014, 23:19 Asmo

LittleMe wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 22:39:
I found the one quests where you murder turtles for medicinal value to be offensive. Even a Korean game should not do that in Korea considering the senseless slaughter of animals around the world that causes so many animal populations to disappear when a sugar pill would probably be just as effective.

Seriously?

It's a fricking game... You're killing pixels, nothing more, nothing less. Much like playing Hitman, murdering a bunch of people has no actual implications for RL...

Jeebus, I really hope you didn't play AC:Black Flag or Far Cry 3. The amount of rare/endangered species you slaughtered in those games to make wallets and holsters etc were epic...

News Comments > Hellraid Stream Tomorrow
3. Re: Hellraid Stream Tomorrow Sep 16, 2014, 01:28 Asmo

Friends and I had a ball in the (admittedly somewhat substandard) Dead Island, so I think even if the SP has the same dodgy stuff in it, this will be a decent co-op game.  

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
5. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 17:45 Asmo

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 14:21:
Welcome to 2009, Australia!

You know, for a country filled with, what the internet tells me, is death, poison and vicious little wall-climbing bears... You'd think a little video game violence would be no big thing.

Is it that the average Australian subconscious is already teetering on the edge of insanity and even a small push would drive them into despair? Or is the violence not realistic enough and pales in comparison to the day-to-day in Australia so badly that it is an insult?

No, just vocal conservatives that ruin it for the rest of us...

The 18 classification was held up for years by 1 attorney general out of South Australia. Most Australians are live and let live types, but there is (as always) a vocal minority that want to wrap everything in cotton wool in case anyone get's "hurt".

Currently our pollies are creating panic about 150 odd "foreign fighters" over with the ISIS idiots in Iraq. 150 people out of 25 million, and just this morning on the news, I heard it described as "a scourge!"... Srsly??

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 18:44 Asmo

Redmask wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:17:
Smoking is disgusting but thankfully smokers have become the pariahs of our society and I see less and less people doing it.

Thank goodness there's still a minority you discriminate against without fear of the PC police coming down on you... = P

News Comments > New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players
34. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:12 Asmo

The original "mechanic" was a bug that was exploited (often resulting in dramatic reduction in keyboard life), and while it became defacto accepted, RSI inducing gameplay shouldn't be a "feature".

Then again, I haven't played Q3/QL for more than a few moments of nostalgia in over a decade, so I'm not much fazed either way...

588 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo