Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Grant P McKinney

Real Name Grant P McKinney   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Asmo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 14, 2010, 09:18
Total Comments 610 (Apprentice)
User ID 56047

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
6. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 19:39 Asmo

Total-Khaos wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 19:22:
Hump wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 19:07:
One of the unsung heroes of game publishing/digital downloads business. I've never had a single complaint doing business with GoG.

My only complaint is their lack of DRM...oh, wait.

/giggle I see what you did there... ; )

I could have bought Wild Hunt for cheaper but I pre-ordered from GOG as soon as it was announced. They are a quality supplier that /shock horror listens to their customers and actually tries to make you feel like your business means something (as opposed to EA who force you to use Origin and still insist on bending you over afterwards).

Good old GoG!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Mar 19, 2015, 17:50 Asmo

Endless Legend is my pick for one of the most interesting, most fun and most intelligent 4x games recently. The asymmetrical factions, the natural breaks on zerg aggression by requiring influence to be spent to go to war, and just the all round character of the game.

If you are a 4x fan, I'd highly recommend you give this a go.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 01:19 Asmo

The other big difference in the scales is that Celcius is linear.

ie. Every 1 degree increase is exactly 1 degree increase.

Whereas F (32-212 deg F = 0-100 deg C) is a non linear temperature. It doesn't take much to get used to either system (90+ deg F = hot, 32 = cold, wow, mindbreaking stuff for my decimal born and raised brain...) and it's not hard to convert for stuff like recipes etc.

Seems like a storm in a teacup. If I had to objectively pick, I'd say the entire world minus 3 countries = the way to go, but we all have our eccentricities. If the US wants to keep F, go for it... ; )

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2015, 18:39 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:56:
I just keep hearing the fight music from Star Trek in my head as I picture that old lady killing that racoon. The only thing that would have made that truly awesome is if there had been a class field trip of kids there at the time to witness it.

50 quatloos on the old woman!

News Comments > Australia Tries New Classification System
8. Re: Australia Tries New Classification System Mar 11, 2015, 17:52 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 12:08:
What do Aussies say more? Bonza or Oath?

STRUTH! (God's truth)

My personal favourite is the classic universal "Oh for fucks sake".

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 12:43:
Australia===Democracy gone wrong,very wrong.

Mostly because the average Australian is a "live and let live" type. Our "democracy" has been run mostly by vocal minorities and last minute vote grabs via electoral bribe (or, as is more common recently, revenge swings against odious policy/parties).

We've just had two state elections where a one term government has been tossed on their ass. Federally, it looks like the PM will also be a one termer (and Rudd/Gillard/Rudd only managed to scrape in for a second term as a minority government). The electorate has woken up to the fact that we can toss out shit politicians. Perhaps a few beatings at the polls will see a return to centrist sensible policy rather than the fucking stupidity we've had to deal with for so long.

Or not. They are politicians after all.

On topic, the chances are that this will probably allow a minor relaxation of stupidity like an "Aus" version of Saints Row 4 (the bits where you could sodomise ppl with the dildo bat, while censored, were a bridge too far for our classification board apparently).

The US & Canadia ESRB is a member, so I'd imagine this is probably a bit more permissive than the Aus standard.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 18:04 Asmo

Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 17:36:
I know that I am going to regret this, but wasn't there a near unanimous consensus for years on high cholesterol foods raising your blood cholesterol in the medical field? Until this year anyway, when the latest studies have proven there to be no ascertainable link whatsoever. I'm not saying that the same thing will happen with climate change (specifically anthropomorphic climate change), but it does illustrate that a consensus based on bad or incomplete findings or evidence is still a wrong one. I only question is there enough evidence for such a consensus to be infallible.

You operate off the best information at the time.

Hole in the ozone layer is a classic example, mass panic, there was a worldwide push to reduce CFC's in the background (most people don't even know about the Toronto agreement), problem reduced, hasn't hit the media in well over a decade if not more.

Hyperbole (on either side) doesn't help. Scream wolf often enough, people tune you out. Spend a fortune on feel good solutions that don't effectively reduce global warming, it's an easy target for people to say you're wasting money etc.

Even if manmade global warming wasn't a "thing" (it is, there's enough data to confirm that), working cleaner and more efficiently is a good thing. Whether it's preventing pollution, or just researching new technology that does things more efficiently, investing in the future is something we should be doing anyway. If we shut down one of the possible avenues of our extinction at the same time (no time frame predictions ;), all the better.

ps. Was there any article on global warming that prompted this??

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Ultimate Vault Hunter 2 & ClapTrap DLC This Month
18. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Ultimate Vault Hunter 2 & ClapTrap DLC This Month Mar 9, 2015, 17:50 Asmo

The best part of Borderlands so far was Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep, which had a hell of a funny storyline and setting (Duke of Orc... /lol), was challenging but still managed to include some poignant moments (no spoilers).

The Critical Fail quest was one of the best in game (although trying to help Claptrap become a badass mage was also pretty groovy). And the negotiating with the dwarven allies...

The downside of BL for me has always been that I complete the game, then DLC trickles out. I've finished an Athena playthrough and I'll wait 6-12 months before scooping up all the DLC and finishing out.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Valley of the Yetis Next Month
2. Re: Far Cry 4 Valley of the Yetis Next Month Feb 26, 2015, 16:40 Asmo

Whelp, we've added the bigfoot so it'll only be short period of time before ancient Tibetan magic raises the most fearsome foe of all...

ZOMBIE YETIS!!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 15, 2015, 16:45 Asmo

I'd love to see a product as game changing as the original Voodoo card, my good old Orchid Righteous 4 MB accelerator (followed by a Creative Voodoo Banshee) were still two of the biggest watershed moments in my gaming hardware history... =)

News Comments > Original Early Access Game Pulled
20. Re: Original Early Access Game Pulled Feb 9, 2015, 17:37 Asmo

Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 15:46:
I still remember Cubeworld, god what a disappointment that was. It wasn't on Steam's early access but same principles apply.

Yeah, I went in for that one. /meh

That being said, Grim Dawn was dead silent for about 2-3 years and then came out with a massive burst of work.

/shrug, I KS not as a way to buy games for extra benefits or on the cheap, but because they are games I want to see made. And it's been more hit than miss so far, so I'm not unhappy.

I have wasted far more money on AAA games that turned out crap than I have on KS/EA's that go MIA.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2015, 18:41 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 17:51:
Anita Sarkeesian Named 'Harvard Humanist of the Year 2014'

Popcorn

I felt a great disturbance in the net...

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Apotheon
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Apotheon Feb 4, 2015, 18:35 Asmo

The latest God of War has taken a step back in the graphics dept... = \  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 28, 2015, 19:15 Asmo

Oh yeah, and fucking Sarkeesian is going to have a fucking field day with this... /eyeroll  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 28, 2015, 19:11 Asmo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 18:27:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 18:16:
Two dudes in motion cap suits going at it, must have been hell, or maybe the best job ever!

You win the internet for today sir!

Still, looking at that pic of Geralt, he must be using some kind of magic V1agra.

Given the number of potions that guy quaffs, he probably uses some form of prosthetic to alleviate "alchemists droop".

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2015, 17:01 Asmo

Not to tell the internet "You're fucking wrong!", but my experience with Dying Light has been somewhat reasonable.

Okay, the real story, running 2x 680 4 gig cards in SLI, latest Nvid drivers on 6088x1200 surround, most details on med, HBAO off, AA off, shadows on medium etc, the game is smooth as pudding.

I turned on all the bling and yep, it's pretty, but is a slideshow at that rez. And I'm not playing a zombie game with full surround support built in (unlike Dead Island which required hax galore) on one monitor just so I can be blinded by solar flares ; )

ps. Wish they'd fuck off that chromatic aberration shit, annoys the bejaysus outta me.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2015, 17:22 Asmo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:50:
aside from point 1 I felt my IQ float away after reading those writing trends that need to die.. more like article trends that need to die...

Yeah, feels like click bait (reminds me of Anita Sarkeesian's rants/whines), but there's a few relevant things.

Specifically, the psyche stuff in the latest Tomb Raider. One moment, Lara is freaking out over killing her first man, then she's a functional death dispenser of apocalyptic proportions with nary a sniffle to betray her inner turmoil. Even if you accept that a certain level of brevity is inherent, you don't fix intense psychological dissonance while coming off an extreme fight or flight adrenal response in a couple of minutes and turn in to a Terminator.

And FC3's writing was a goddamn mess. I enjoyed the game in much the same way I enjoyed JC2, ie. ignoring the story as much as possible made it more fun.

News Comments > Technomancer Revealed
5. Re: Technomancer Revealed Jan 21, 2015, 16:53 Asmo

saluk wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 15:43:
Yeah their games have been pretty good efforts, but kind of fall in the weird category that's not quite good enough to be AAA and not unique or cute enough to be indie.

MWL was a bit hard to get in to and I flubbed out early, the story just didn't grab me.

And it had, what I like to call, warts, ie. obvious problems with graphics etc that stick out like dogballs even compared to similar non AAA offerings.

I like the concept they're pitching but doubtful whether I'll buy in at launch.

News Comments > Neverwinter Elemental Evil Expansion Announced
2. Re: Neverwinter Elemental Evil Expansion Announced Jan 20, 2015, 16:42 Asmo

Despite the ordinary F2P offering, Turbine's D&DO is a far superior product. I barely made it to level cap in Neverwinter before giving it up as a bad joke.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
30. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 16:57 Asmo

bhcompy wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 12:04:
Well, I mean, where do you suggest they go?

Total War: Neanderthal!

Watch massive battles of 15-20 units, see every festering louse on their fetid, unwashed bodies, equip advanced weapons like clubs... And clubs... And, if you survive till the late tiers of research... Pointy sticks and thrown rocks!

First DLC will be "FIRE!?!?!?!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2015, 17:01 Asmo

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 13:09:
And that ban tipping piece is the most idiotic and wrong I've seen in a long time for far to many reasons to get into here.

How so?

Do you work a job where you don't know if you'll have enough money at the end of the week to pay your rent/bills, pay for food etc?

I'll freely admit, there's something to be said about the incentive system to garner better service (our wait staff in Aus which get paid well are, on average, very poor compared to US wait staff). I just don't think it's fair that their paycheck is at the mercy of a customer who might be having the day from hell and isn't going to give them a cent even if they provide the best service on the planet...

A tip in Australia is rare, and it's usually because you received exceptional service. A literal, honest to god, no guilt tripping involved bonus to someone who enhanced your meal with their service. And that's what it should be, a reward, not a key component in a baseline wage.

610 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo