Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Seamus

Real Name Seamus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 11, 2010, 20:39
Total Comments 2 (Suspect)
User ID 56041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
68. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 15:43 Seamus

space captain wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 15:19:
Steam is bullshit for charging full retail prices on games when you receive no actual physical merchandise.. as there is a significant amount of developmental money that goes into art/packaging/advertising, which is recouped in the purchase price - and im not just talking about the component cost, which is negligible. Since steam doesnt deliver any physical materials, the resulting retail price should be lower by a noticeable margin.

Thats not to mention the incredibly invasive client you are required to have up online and running.

Steam isnt the devil, but its no angel either.

To be fair Steam does run awesome specials. I got Dragon Age at a pretty good discount.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Retailers Versus Steam?
66. Re: Retailers Versus Steam? Nov 11, 2010, 15:41 Seamus

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 14:44:
Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 14:39:
Like what? I have yet to find anything that offers a comprehensive client and library management app on par of the quality of Steam. Show me the same feature parity and quality without platform lock-in and I'll be the first person there.

You seem to think everyone shares your opinion on value which is false. Some people only care about price, others only care about individual product features and other people don't care about anything except ease of use. If people only cared about price then sure they would order from Amazon but some people just value convenience and theres nothing wrong with that. Put bluntly, some people just want to play games and don't care about the politics of gaming like you and I do.

Yes, I know... giving up the freedom and independence of PC gaming for convenience and simplicity, just like a console. That was pretty much my entire point. No, I cannot name a service that spoon-feeds better than Steam does, that does not mean there is no "better" alternative.

Please provide a link to a better alternative. I'm interested in Impulse but its nice having all my games in Steam and I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks.

For me I like Steam because its easy for me to get my games on a new machine or after I've paved a machine. I've actually purchased second copies of games for this convenience.

I really like when they have specials. I've gotten entire catalogs of games for crazy cheap.

Things I don't like, having to be logged in for some games. Not all require this if I remember correctly.

DRM is not an issue for me with Steam, DRM from the company selling the game is though. BTW some DRM provide a worse hassle with a physical CD then through Steam. (vice versa as well)

As for freedom and independence of PC gaming I'd say, if anything, Steam helps. I've picked up several games I would not have normally, advertising and specials on Steam works. I've also gifted several games, heck I got my father-in-law railroad games. He can barely point and click but he loves those things. That's money that I expect goes to keeping PC gaming alive. Lets not forget the independent games that are available on Steam as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo