Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Rutherford

Real Name Matt Rutherford   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UHD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.uhdsoft.com
Signed On Oct 18, 2010, 16:26
Total Comments 57 (Suspect)
User ID 56009

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 22, 2014, 10:43 UHD

Julio wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 06:42:
Who again exactly wants Windows 9?

You could ask that about any new Windows release and probably get the same answer. A lot of times it's just what you use to work/game, it's less a matter of want as much as need. You get a new PC or build your own, you probably just get the newest by default, or you use the copy you have if it still works. If you already have a working machine, you probably don't give a shit either way, because there's almost never a compelling reason to upgrade Windows for its own sake.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 22, 2014, 10:28 UHD

God damn. More and more I'm glad I've stuck with AT&T, not because they're shining pillars of awesome (they're not) but because Verizon increasingly makes themselves look so much worse by comparison.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2014, 10:25 UHD

Company might be 45 years old, but only started making x86 CPUs in the last 30 years or so. Before then it was "logic chips" and memory.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2014, 10:55.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor in November
21. Re: I'm so confused... Aug 15, 2014, 13:35 UHD

canuck wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 12:36:
If you read the books you would know that the orcs began raiding Draenei settlements before they drank the blood because Nerzul and Guldan said they were a threat. Of course nerzul and guldan were both puppets for the burning legion so they were tricking all of the orcs into fighting. As for why they still go on a killing spree without the legions help is probably because garrosh went back and told poppa grom what was going to happen and that there were other orcs and humans coming that were going to kill them. So again, they decided the best thing to do was to attack first.

It's really not that orcs are bad but they follow their leaders and again in this case their leaders are being misguided.

Yeah half the point of my post is that you have to read the books to get the full story which is stupid. If all you do is play the game almost nothing makes sense in context.

Orcs in both versions of Draenor are manipulated into genocide and invasion. That's pretty telling. It means orcs don't really need that much of a push to go full hog with the murder. The cinematic even shows you that Grommash's concern with drinking demon blood isn't that he'll start paving roads with Draenei bones; it's that someone will be his boss.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor in November
18. Re: I'm so confused... Aug 15, 2014, 10:53 UHD

Alamar wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 23:35:
JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 22:59:
I'm really confused by this. In Warcraft 3 it was revealed that the orcs in Warcraft 1 and 2 were assholes because of demonic influence. So in this "alternate timeline", they rejected the demonic influence...yet are doing the same damn thing?

How does that make any sense?

Play the game to find out?

That presumes you can find all the lore you need in-game. Many important story events take place entirely in books or comics; players might get cliff's notes versions from the right NPCs but sometimes you have to piece together what the fuck happened offscreen yourself.

As for why the orcs are just as big of assholes without demon blood as with... because orcs are assholes. There's no other explanation. Demon blood made them crazy and strong as fuck but orcs gonna be dicks either way.

News Comments > Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date
20. Re: Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date Aug 14, 2014, 16:47 UHD

FloorPie wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 15:23:
We can thank the Celestials of Pandaland for letting Garrosh go after the siege of orgrimmar where either side should have killed him.

Garrosh escaped before the verdict (if I remember correctly). The Celestials are still stupid as hell but Garry jumped the gun somewhat.

I know way too much about this shit.

15. Re: Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date Aug 14, 2014, 14:43 UHD

nin wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 14:38:
Nice trailer.

I've been out of the loop for several expansions, and even then my lore is rusty. Can someone explain this to me? The green stuff is what made their skin change, from red to green, producing the orcs we originally knew. Now in the trailer, they appear to decide not to use it. So the past has been changed now?

What's the scoop?

Garrosh (Grom's son) going back and stopping Grom from drinking the blood of Mannoroth created a parallel universe, which is then connected to present Azeroth because reasons.

Basically, Blizzard looked at JJTrek and went "not enough orcs."

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2014, 13:47 UHD

Story constraints made backtracking unrealistic in XIII - at least for the bits I played which was roughly half. But yeah, the complaints about linearity are hilarious when you realize X is just as bad in almost every respect and I don't remember anyone bitching about it then. I didn't think either game suffered for it. It's not like Final Fantasy stories have ever changed significantly because of player decisions.

I actually liked X-2, it was a fun game and the story was more nuanced than it appears at first glance. It's just hard to see it over the in-your-face Dress Me Up Idol Yuna mini(skirt)game.

Edit: I can understand the lack of interaction with neutral or friendly NPCs, but you're supposed to be fugitives on the run in XIII. It's part of the atmosphere. So I can get that. Just my opinion though.

1. Re: Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date Aug 14, 2014, 10:14 UHD

Putting my (nonexistent) money on December.

Year of Orgrimmar.

News Comments > BioWare Announces Shadow Realms
39. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 17:05 UHD

NKD wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:52:
Axis wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:38:
When the PR throws out those PnP keywords ("roots of PnP", "DnD", "Hallmarks of Bioware" "Deep combat progression"), the LAST thing you expect is a hack and slash FPS/TPS game.

Now will it be a good game, perhaps. But will it be "Roots of PnP" etc? hell no.

That's on you. It was pretty clear that when they talk about PnP, they are referring to the Shadowlord player's control over the environment being similar to a DM. They were NOT saying that the game is going to be a pen and paper CRPG engine with turn based combat. To me that seemed obvious, seeing as how they said right away that it was an action RPG. As far as deep combat progression, well, we haven't seen the progression yet, so we'll see later on whether that pans out.

Yeah, I'm more willing to believe they're throwing around the video game equivalent of buzzwords to amp up hype rather than a more factual description of the game. You're supposed to read that PR blurb and go "FUCK YEAH D&D HARDCOAR!"

Really looks like multiplayer Dragon Age 2 or Vindictus-style combat with a DM. Fun in theory but that clip wasn't exciting at all and I didn't see anything from the DM's perspective?...

21. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 12:51 UHD

Yakubs wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 12:21:
UHD wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 10:42:
Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 10:06:
Tough crowd here, I thought it sounded interesting and will definitely check out the alpha/beta. They're trying something new for a change so I'm a bit dismayed to see people crapping all over them for it when thats what they've been demanding forever.

Nope. Gimme Dragon Age 1-2 and a conversation wheel or gtfo, Bioware. Get this innovation shit out of my lesbians and gore.

All seriousness, the game sounds like fun. No skepticism here at all, this is a kind of game I'm surprised took this long for someone to do. Anyone that genuinely doesn't see a game like this appealing to some folks probably also doesn't understand why a game like Dark Souls is such a hit.

Um, the difference is not in the idea but in the execution. BioWare will turn this into a casual crapfest, the exact opposite of a well-designed niche title that transcends to a broader audience.

Oh I didn't realize Bioware is terrible now, sorry. I'll update the spreadsheet.

14. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 10:42 UHD

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 10:06:
Tough crowd here, I thought it sounded interesting and will definitely check out the alpha/beta. They're trying something new for a change so I'm a bit dismayed to see people crapping all over them for it when thats what they've been demanding forever.

Nope. Gimme Dragon Age 1-2 and a conversation wheel or gtfo, Bioware. Get this innovation shit out of my lesbians and gore.

All seriousness, the game sounds like fun. No skepticism here at all, this is a kind of game I'm surprised took this long for someone to do. Anyone that genuinely doesn't see a game like this appealing to some folks probably also doesn't understand why a game like Dark Souls is such a hit.

News Comments > System Shock 2 Turns 15
20. Re: System Shock 2 Turns 15 Aug 12, 2014, 10:58 UHD

PHJF wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 09:51:
Guess I'm the only person who thought weapon degradation added to the game? The preferred way of handling combat, at least through the early game, was to avoid it. Once you got your weapon and repair skills up, degradation became pretty much a non issue.

Weapon degradation wasn't a bad idea. The trouble is it sort of shoehorns you into maintenance skills if you use any weapons at all because a weapon breaking on you mid-fight is a very, very bad thing. Resource management in SS2 was such a massive part of the game that having weapons in constant pristine condition made the game hilariously easier even on the hardest difficulty setting.

OSI players didn't really give a shit about it, though.

News Comments > John Romero's New Shooter Plans
54. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 10:50 UHD

Not gonna lie, kinda curious what he's got in mind.

Daikatana was 14 years ago. Let's see the culmination of the lessons learned since then.

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 10:04 UHD

NKD wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 20:50:
Loot the dog

I WILL STOP THIS RAID RIGHT NOW IF YOU DON'T LOOT THE DOG

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
27. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 10:03 UHD

You can have a long, illustrious, 16 year career spanning several major franchises and numerous commercial and critical successes. But fuck up one ending...  

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
25. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 7, 2014, 10:10 UHD

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 09:51:
My 2.
Win 7 is simply quicker and more reliable than Vista. Once you tamed Vista it was pretty good, much better than the general audience would state, but Win 7 was still a good notch or two better. Vista running well was better than XP, but in those days XP users would swear they were superior to Vista, not near the end of the Vista cycle they weren't.

Thing is, I don't think anyone's ever said Vista is better than 7. They're similar in many ways, but 7 is still a marked improvement no matter how much you liked Vista.

Guessing Windows 9 is going to be roughly the same story: it's Windows 8 with slightly different window dressing (hurp derp) and improvements under the hood, and people are going to lap that shit up because of the knee-jerk "Windows Vista 8 is awful!"

The difference might be slightly more noticeable between 8 and 9 though since 9 is promising more UI changes. Vista and 7 were visually almost indistinguishable.

9. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 12:09 UHD

InBlack wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:58:
UHD wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:41:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

Finally, someone that understands.

Yesterday went to watch a movie at a friends house. His Windows8 laptop decided that his HDMI port had a hardware error. We spent the night troubleshooting only to discover some kind of hidden Win8 update killed it. Managed to fix the problem later on with some oldskul hacking (and fighting the UI and system at every corner) but I never had this shit happen with Windows 7, or even XP.

Yes, no previous version of Windows ever had phantom failures caused by broken updates. This is strictly a Windows 8 phenomenon.

A counter-anecdote: my Windows 8.1 laptop has been trouble-free since day 1. My home PC's run Windows 8.1 for roughly three months now, and it's probably the first time I've ever owned a desktop PC that woke up from sleep every time without a problem. I didn't even install Classic Shell, I just don't really use Metro stuff and Windows doesn't make me.

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
35. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 10:50 UHD

Kajetan wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:38:
Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:10:
The interesting thing to me is that there are STILL that many people playing this game. Isn't it old hat by now?
People still play Chess. A very, VERY old game.

A more pertinent example: at 12 years of age, Final Fantasy XI has roughly a quarter million players. Everquest is 15 years old and still receives regular content updates for its ~100,000 players.

Retaining 6.8 million subscribers at 10 years of age is phenomenal.

4. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 10:41 UHD

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

Finally, someone that understands.

57 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo