Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Rutherford

Real Name Matt Rutherford   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UHD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.uhdsoft.com
Signed On Oct 18, 2010, 16:26
Total Comments 170 (Novice)
User ID 56009

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
29. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 15:02 UHD

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 14:12:
It's not fallacious if it goes toward factual statements or credibility as I said already. Not every statement has to refute another either, pointing out hypocrisy is often used to force others to direct their own views internally.

This story is too vague to really decide whats what anyway.

While I agree with you, it doesn't necessarily apply to this twitter drama.

The only reason I bring it up at all is there's a lot of "well they're doing it too, fancy that hmmmmmmmmm" going around and while I'm sure it's satisfying to say it doesn't really do much other than that.

Best hypothetical example I can think of off the top of my head:

"You're being a dick on Twitter" "well you're being a dick on Twitter." You've successfully pointed out hypocrisy; now everyone's a dick on Twitter.

And that you can't argue

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 14:01 UHD

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:34:
UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:17:
The thing about calling out a hypocrite is that it doesn't actually refute the point. You're not denying anything nor are you successfully justifying anything by calling someone out on hypocrisy.

Nonsense, peoples backgrounds and motives are often just as important as what they're saying. We see this in many other areas of society too - public discourse, legal issues, financial markets, etc. Being hypocritical can often totally negate a point to those you're trying to reach.

Let's say for the sake of argument you are correct, and pointing out hypocrisy has completely discredited your critic.

You still have not addressed the original issue.

That's why it's fallacious; because it doesn't refute a point, merely deflects the criticism.

Ad hominem isn't being used as a legal or rhetorical tool here, it's being used as justification for being a dick over Twitter.

13. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 UHD

The thing about calling out a hypocrite is that it doesn't actually refute the point. You're not denying anything nor are you successfully justifying anything by calling someone out on hypocrisy.

It's ad hominem.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
16. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 09:46 UHD

Because nVidia, who has no stake in this console generation, cares about how games look on console vs PC.  

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2014, 17:39 UHD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 17:24:
Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:14:
Many are claiming Sam Biddle's comments were sarcastic and taken out of context. Well, if true, that's why you don't make unclear, context-free comments with only 144 characters. It's the same weak excuse that jackass made after threatening Steam.
Out of curiosity, how can a pro-bullying comment be taken out of context? That's literally what he said, "bring back bullying" "nerds need to be attacked." And it's not the first time either he's said something like that.

Because there's room for nuance in language.

That's not a defense of the dude, I don't really follow twitter drama except for the lols and I'm sure he really is a dickhead, but there is more to language than literal interpretation.

It's just really easy to lose all that nuance in a limited format like Twitter.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 17:10 UHD

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:24:
UHD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:35:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:30:
Corporations back away from stupid public statements made by an employee, news at 11.

Also, people have sex, news at 11.

This non-story just keeps taking up more and more space on bluesnews, ridiculous.

Blues is a news aggregate fueled partially by user submissions (I don't know what proportion though). If people keep pointing these things out to him, he will keep posting them. Also, for better or worse, gamergate generates a lot of interest on this site, and views pay the bills.

Also, Blue's is often mentioned as a trusted gaming news site for people who want an alternative to Kotaku, RPS, Polygon, etc.

Except Blue's often links to those sites for its content. How much original reporting is done on this site versus commentary on someone else's article? I honestly don't know.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 14:39 UHD

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:32:
Well that is me and I understand we all have different needs/uses, but I do hope manufacturers will continue making smaller cell phones in the future because this current trend of bigger is better isn't really true for everything.

There's a market for both, it's just unfortunate that Android as a whole is trending bigger and bigger. There aren't a whole lot of (new) small phones to choose from if that's your platform of choice.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 14:35 UHD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:30:
Corporations back away from stupid public statements made by an employee, news at 11.

Also, people have sex, news at 11.

This non-story just keeps taking up more and more space on bluesnews, ridiculous.

Blues is a news aggregate fueled partially by user submissions (I don't know what proportion though). If people keep pointing these things out to him, he will keep posting them. Also, for better or worse, gamergate generates a lot of interest on this site, and views pay the bills.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 13:46 UHD

DV wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 13:20:
Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:14:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:07:
What's funny about that Adobe story is that someone who writes for the Ars Technica "liked" the pro-bullying tweets made by that Gawker idiot. And when someone in the comments section brought that up, no one responded.

Many are claiming Sam Biddle's comments were sarcastic and taken out of context. Well, if true, that's why you don't make unclear, context-free comments with only 144 characters. It's the same weak excuse that jackass made after threatening Steam.

I really can't understand how people see how his "pro bullying" tweets were taken out of context.

Sarcasm is really hard to decipher over the Internet. It goes double when you only have 144 characters to do it. Was he being sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek? Doesn't matter. Intent almost never matters. What matters is perception.

That's why emoticons exist!

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 22, 2014, 13:43 UHD

Maybe it's a forced concept but really as long as the game is fun who cares? That's the primary goal of a game, right?

I think that gets lost in all the hubbub. Games are supposed to be entertaining, if you're not being entertained it's a poor game no matter what message or artistic style or gimmick or whatever. That's why games like CoD doesn't really bother me even if I don't like it. No matter how shallow or silly I think it is, someone's having fun with it somewhere. More power to them.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 UHD

I put money in the Kickstarter ages ago, but think I'll wait for the whole thing before I start diving in.

... maybe by then I'll finish the original Dreamfall Redface

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 11:40 UHD

What do you want?  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 10:20 UHD

Android's biggest sin (or maybe it's Samsung's) is trending phones towards the gargantuan. It's a totally subjective thing but even as a dude with big mitts any phone bigger than 5" just seems too big.

Also phablet is a dumb word and needs to die in a fire.

That is all thank you for reading.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
67. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 21, 2014, 17:10 UHD

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 16:36:
UHD wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 10:08:
Calm down bro, it's just video games.

When people start trying to fake "understanding" about how computers work and pushing their little bullshit gaming lies, I get pissed and so should other people. Spreading disinformation about how computers actually work is exactly why we have the cult of steam, people believing games couldn't work without steamworks or steamworks isn't DRM (which it is).

Ok I was going to serious post but now I'm not so sure if you're trolling so I'm going to just let you be angry about video games all you like.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2014, 16:05 UHD

NetHead wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 15:21:
Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 14:15:
No one remembers Bill Gates saying it, either.

Yup, because he didn't.

Also jdreyer I think you may be looking at this wrong. Apple knows that more RAM is needed in time, it's also a cheap thing to add. So Apple does what it does best, here it's preventing people doing easy and cheap upgrades so Apple can sell models with more RAM for far more than they're worth. Just another day for Apple practices.

You say that, but Apple charges $100 to go from 4GB to 8GB of RAM in the new Mac Mini and I think the Macbook Pro. The same RAM upgrade in a Lenovo laptop will run you $130, and not every model is user-upgradeable. Dell doesn't even let you customize anymore as far as I can tell, unless you get an Alienware.

61. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 UHD

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 08:52:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:13:
Actually you present almost the exact scenario the Titanfall devs were dealing with: slow dual-core machines. What they found was that their code would hammer away at 2 threads on a PC, but if they used compressed audio that would become 3 threads.

And this son proves you have NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, the fact that you are throwing the idea of "threads around" for audio! And that audio "takes up its own core" shows you don't understand a god damn thing.

The xbox 360 is a much less powerful system then a core 2 duo with an 8800 GTX. Shows how much you don't know jack shit about computers. Go load up your favorite mp3 player, press ALT-CTRL-DELETE and notice that your mp3 doesn't even take up 1% of the CPU's power. THE IDEA that the audio cant work on a "slow" core 2 duo is laughable! It's downright fantasy you dumb uneducated computer illiterate retard.

Calm down bro, it's just video games.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
24. Re: Into the Black Oct 21, 2014, 09:48 UHD

Beamer wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 00:03:
Is Derek Smart writing the AI routines? I mean, this is his wheelhouse...

Does Derek Smart still work in the industry?

As much as he ever did, anyway?

45. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 17:47 UHD

DangerDog wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 17:10:
No, it's not that. It's because when you play these "next gen" console ports you're left wondering why does this still look and play like shit? Where did all that space on the hard drive go?

We've had games in the past (crysis for example) that look and play 10x better and didn't crank the system req's to this level - but holy crap just imagine if "real" developers took advantage of the power of today's modern PC's

Nope, instead we get retarded shit like using uncompressed audio because crap "next gen" consoles can't handle compressed audio or would drain performance just enough so all the audio in the game sits on your hard drive like a bloated pig - hello Titanfall? or hey you don't need more than 30fps in your game Microsoft an Sony told us so.

The 30fps thing was because of an auteur (aka douchebag) game designer who thought it was more cinematic.

Also, define "real" developers.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Heavensward Expansion Announced
5. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Heavensward Expansion Announced Oct 20, 2014, 14:16 UHD

Really, really glad this game turned itself around. 1.0 was such a clusterfuck and now it's not. If I had more time I'd play the everliving shit out of it. Maybe when this xpac's released.  

13. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 14:15 UHD

Flatline wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 13:31:
Gotcha. No apologies needed! My own post was intentionally pompous and probably could have been elaborated. Poe's law right?

No kidding. I don't know what's real anymore.

170 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo