Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Rutherford

Real Name Matt Rutherford   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UHD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.uhdsoft.com
Signed On Oct 18, 2010, 16:26
Total Comments 91 (Suspect)
User ID 56009

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
15. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 11:29 UHD

I do not need to spend more money on computer shit but god damn that 970 is a tempting replacement for my stalwart 660...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2014, 11:25 UHD

Financial institutions have become remarkably efficient about responding to these things. I expected more wait-and-see shenanigans, honestly, but nope. Going straight for mass reissues. I'm pleased.  

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans
3. Re: SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans Sep 19, 2014, 11:16 UHD

Ok that's pretty fucking funny, hats off to Squeenix for that.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: OS X 10.9.5 released Sep 18, 2014, 11:09 UHD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:06:
So, when they hit 10.9.9, are they then going to still call it OS XI or just add another decimal point?

10.10.0, probably.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 UHD

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 09:53:
Derek Smart

Derek Smart!

Derek Smart!

Oh shit duck and cover!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
49. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2014, 17:30 UHD

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 17:06:
UHD wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 15:05:

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 14:35:
Books can be stolen, and I hope your house doesn't burn down.

I think if my house burned down I'd have greater concerns than my book collection.

That was a response to "your account can be hacked." I think that, if my Amazon account was hacked, I'd have greater concerns than the 300 books on my Kindle that I read once and will never read again.

If my house burns down I don't have a place to live.

Surely "hope no one breaks into your house and steals your books" is closer to what you were shooting for (though still far more terrifying that some idiot hacking your Amazon account).

46. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2014, 15:05 UHD

I'm not trying to say eBooks are terrible and they deserve to die, I just don't think they're always the best choice. I have a ton of eBooks. If I could get all my textbooks digitally I totally would; it'd beat carrying them around campus all the time. Then again, if I took that route I couldn't resell them at the end of the semester, and not all textbooks can be rented.

eBooks are a great option; my point is they're not the second coming.

PHJF wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 14:27:
So I take it you don't have a Steam account?

Sure I do. I have a generous library of games on Steam (some of them I've even played). I understand the inherent risk of digital media and choose to accept it. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate having a CD I can install and play whenever I want.

Beamer wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 14:35:
Books can be stolen, and I hope your house doesn't burn down.

I think if my house burned down I'd have greater concerns than my book collection.

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2014, 13:57 UHD

PHJF wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 13:40:
Oh you mean like the telephone, or the TV set? Maybe like the desktop computer?

No... I mean like the radio. There is no "next gen" phone or TV. Print books are in every possible way inferior to ebooks.

Dead battery. Broken device, either physically (whoops, dropped it and cracked the screen) or via software (whoops, update bricked the machine). Publisher revokes access to eBook for any reason or goes out of business or DRM server dies, whoops you can't read it anymore (yes you can turn off Wi-Fi but that also cuts you off from getting more books). Can't easily lend a book to a friend. Hope you remember your password, or your account isn't hacked.

eBooks have perks but to call it better in every way is asinine.

32. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2014, 11:13 UHD

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 08:57:
iPhone 6 Breaks Pre-Order Record.

I would love to know what feature people are preordering this for, I suspect its the name on the box.

It doesn't have to be just current-generation iPhone users preordering. It could be people changing platforms, or upgrading from ancient iPhones like the 3GS or something.

(I'm the former; sorry Windows Phone, what you do, you do well, but goddamn...)

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 UHD

I didn't really start using the mouse until Quake 1... and even then the right mouse button lay fallow. It didn't really get a job until Half-Life, and that was as alt-fire. Movement on a mouse key sounds weird to me, but I did a lot of keyboard turning when Quake 1 was released, so I can't really criticize!  

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 16, 2014, 18:08 UHD

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 11:43:
mag wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 16:55:
Gen X is ~1960 to ~1980. The youngest Gen Xers were 18 in 1998. Millenials are ~1980 to 2000. The oldest Millenials are in their thirties now.

Oh, okay, I thought Gen-X was the late 80s to 2000s. My bad.

In that case, then yes, most of the Blues regulars are probably Gen-X'ers.

So as an early-30s millennial when can I start bitching about the current generation? Or can I already? Does it even have a name? This is important.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 15, 2014, 16:58 UHD

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 16:33:
Hmm, I'd doubt that. How much love do you think the car industry is getting these days, especially the likes of GM with its 30+ million recalls in 2014? I doubt people are singing their praises, but at least GM doesn't publish articles entitled "ALL MY FUCKING CUSTOMERS ARE PIECES OF SHIT!"

Eh... GM is much, much larger than any game developer, doesn't directly interface with customers like a game developer might, and there are no indie car manufacturers run by one prima donna with their head up their ass.

Not that GM isn't run by people with their heads up their asses.

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 16:36:
Cutter is probably consider a larger group of regulars than I am. Most of the guys who have been here the longest are pre Gen X, but then again, since Blue was formed in... what... 1998? they would have to be, since I doubt many five year olds were posting here when it first started.

See, I was under the impression that "millennial" was defined as someone born between 1980-2000, and Gen-X was 1960-1980. That's what Wikipedia says anyway (and we all know they're infallible).

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: So why do publishers keep doing it? Sep 15, 2014, 16:04 UHD

All right, fair enough, I haven't been following long enough to know and made an improper assumption. Although...

Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 15:05:
I think you'll find most of the Blues regulars are pre Gen-Xers. (ie, from a generation before we started feeling the need to fucking label generations.)

Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 15:11:
And no, most of the regular posters around here are definitely Gen X. Some of their kids are likely millenials.

... so which is it?

Not that it really matters, at this point it's personal curiosity, but to be honest it's more interesting than gamergate.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2014, 13:06 UHD

Since when is "millennial" a swear word? Do you even know what generation that word refers to? Betting most if not all of you spitting it out like tobacco are millennials yourselves.

Gaming journalism is awful, people complaining about gaming journalism are even worse (yes including me), people complaining about women daring to talk about things they care about are the worst.

That is my thoughtful, biting commentary on the issue, thanks for reading.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 13:02 UHD

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 12:17:
UHD wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:50:
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:26:
So the iPhone 6 is a little thinner and a little less wide than my phone.

Fantastic. When I was in Vegas a few months back, I was the only non-iPhone user in a group of about 16. And everyone kept picking up my phone and acting like it was some weird mystery. "What the hell is this thing, it's huge!" they all said with scorn.

You don't know bewilderment until you tell folks "I have a Windows Phone." People act like you took the short bus.

I have a Windows Phone.
But I also live in Seattle, where they have a pretty heavy market share. I see them everywhere. It was weird going back to NYC and sitting having brunch and seeing that everyone had an iPhone. Everyone. Some people also had a Blackberry for work, but even they had a personal iPhone. Very few Android phones, and no WP.

In Seattle, there are more Android and iPhones than Windows Phone, but a pretty decent balance between all 3. At worst it's 40/40/20.

I have no idea what the local marketshare is for phones in San Diego. All I know is, I've only seen one other person with a Windows Phone. And he's getting an iPhone 6+ soon. Everyone at work has Androids, all I see at the local community college campus is iPhones.

Anyone in this city that I show my phone to, or tell what I have, acts like I'm a weirdo. Which may in fact be true but it's not the phone's fault. I like my 1020, it's just too bad the platform feels dead in the water.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 UHD

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 11:26:
So the iPhone 6 is a little thinner and a little less wide than my phone.

Fantastic. When I was in Vegas a few months back, I was the only non-iPhone user in a group of about 16. And everyone kept picking up my phone and acting like it was some weird mystery. "What the hell is this thing, it's huge!" they all said with scorn.

You don't know bewilderment until you tell folks "I have a Windows Phone." People act like you took the short bus.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
15. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 10:38 UHD

Reading the brand article a bit... nothing seems that weird given Microsoft's direction these days.

The "Nokia" brand isn't their property. They have to drop that name. Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile division, but Nokia is still a separate company.

"Windows Phone" is being replaced with "Windows" because Microsoft's been trying to blur the line between mobile and desktop versions of their OS for some time now. How successful they've been is a totally different matter; that's the goal.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2014, 10:23 UHD

Holy shit that blue heron Birds are awesome  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 11, 2014, 09:57 UHD

John wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 08:56:
How can wearables be a fad when people have worn watches for many years and still do? What about Google Glass?

I personally am not a watch person so I don't care about the Apple Watch but I think it will be good for people who get use out of it.

It's the one-two punch of a device nobody needs and isn't useful. A plain watch is useful and, for the right people, needed. You can say nobody needs an iPad or a smartphone but they're still useful devices. So far nobody's made a good argument for the usefulness of a wearable.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 17:39 UHD

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:58:
Nothing I said is the least bit invalid or untrue to any rational and fair human being. If you find that disturbing then it's you who needs to re-align his perspective on life and the world. I get just as tired of the shrill liberal brigade telling us how to live, think, and act, just as much as I do with the right-wing nutjobs. There is no one size fits all life for everyone.

You are way too emotionally invested in defending a terrible human being. God damn man.

It's not cool to beat someone unconscious because they pawed at your face during an argument. That's not the "shrill liberal brigade" telling you how to live your life, that's common sense.

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:25:
Cooking at home can be costly when you're cooking for one. Things need to be purchased in bulk larger than one, so you end up either overcooking and not eating it all or you end up with ingredients spoiling.

It's a sad problem, haha.

Pretty much this. Anymore I cook to either eat the same thing over several days or share it with coworkers and friends. Otherwise I end up wasting food and money, and I love cooking so I'm not about to stop. How else do you get exactly what you want?

91 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo