Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Rutherford

Real Name Matt Rutherford   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UHD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.uhdsoft.com
Signed On Oct 18, 2010, 16:26
Total Comments 183 (Novice)
User ID 56009

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 14:54 UHD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 13:49:
- System Shock (Need license? Spiritual successor okay?)

Bioshock was billed as a spiritual successor; what are you looking for exactly?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
100. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 13:20 UHD

As is the fate of all gamergate threads, this one has devolved into a pissing match.

Let us lament the passing of this thread, and wait anxiously for the next one, so the cycle may continue.

94. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 12:32 UHD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 12:12:
UHD wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 12:02:
Was the original allegation re: trading sex for a good review even true? I was under the impression it wasn't.

It wasn't 'trading sex for a good review', but 'having a sexual relationship with people who were connected with boosting her work generally'. I don't think anyone said Quinn was doing something like "Alright, a blowjob for a good tweet, an around the world if you write an article about my kickstarter..." These were relationships, not strict business transactions.

So there weren't even any actual things happening, just the possibility?...

90. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 12:02 UHD

NKD wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:51:
I do. And a lot of other people do from what I've seen. You forget that this whole thing started over worries about conflict of interest in game reviews. It's long since been derailed, but that's the subject a lot of us were hoping we'd get back to. The bottom line is that if the conflict of interest was a non-sexual relation, like a blood relative or a business partner, the conversation would never have been derailed and we could have had a discussion about transparency when it comes to potential conflicts of interest.

It's odd, because I remember a time when Blue's News commenters were eager to point out funny business when it came to reviews and game coverage. I remember a time when we lamented the crapping-up of our hobby by "casuals" and "console gamers".

Now no one can even be fucked to post anything unless it's about the latest social media hipster bullshit.

Or to complain about the good ol' days like a bunch of old farts on rocking chairs

Was the original allegation re: trading sex for a good review even true? I was under the impression it wasn't.

80. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 10:16 UHD

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 10:11:
I think that's the problem. Assholism is never going to be stamped out on the internet. I don't possibly see how someones going to "win" against that. The best bet is to move on and ignore it. The more it's fed, the more it grows.

Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. It's over a decade old at this point but it still rings true.

60. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 01:47 UHD

Personally I think it's all a vast conspiracy on the part of Twitter, 'cause trending hashtags = $$$$$  

52. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 23:40 UHD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 23:35:
UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 23:21:
I call it demonization because I admitted I was wrong to imply something without proof, and somehow that's not enough for you.

If you meant that it was wrong to say that the absence of condemnation implies approval, then I accept that. As written, it sounded like you were downgrading your accusation to mere 'implies'.

I did say implies, but implication isn't proof of anything, and certainly not worth the reaction I gave it. That's my error, and I thought I made that clear.

I've mentioned several times before that there is nuance in language, and that it's not always easy to see it over the Internet. It's a lesson I should take to heart more often.

We cool?

45. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 23:21 UHD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 23:04:
UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 23:03:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 22:21:
Admittedly no; the absence of condemnation merely implied approval.

I've linked sites showing GG people being harassed. I noticed no condemnation from you. I take it that implies your approval?

I also haven't bothered addressing it at all. So sure, why not; if you're that intent on demonizing me I won't stop you.

So, I asked a question, using your own standards applied to you - and you refer to that as 'demonization'.

Funny, eh?

I call it demonization because I admitted I was wrong to imply something without proof, and somehow that's not enough for you.

39. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 23:03 UHD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 22:21:
Admittedly no; the absence of condemnation merely implied approval.

I've linked sites showing GG people being harassed. I noticed no condemnation from you. I take it that implies your approval?

I also haven't bothered addressing it at all. So sure, why not; if you're that intent on demonizing me I won't stop you.

23. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:14 UHD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 21:32:
I don't see where anyone said it was acceptable to dox her. It was just being questioned that she's been great for gaming, especially in light of her post.

Admittedly no; the absence of condemnation merely implied approval. A mistake on my part.

15. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 21:24 UHD

Julio wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 21:04:
So why has she been great for gaming? She's leveraged gamers into having an acting career (when she isn't an above average actress). This move of hers has done more harm to gamers than anything positive I can think of she's accomplished.

And therefore her doxxing - for doing little more than speaking her fucking opinion - is perfectly acceptable? By all accounts she's one of the nicest people alive, regardless of whether or not your claim that she's somehow using gamers to further her career is accurate.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2014, 16:21 UHD

Domgrief wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 15:52:
It's good to see that Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand with its patchy history of terrible mobile phones, and cashing in on Microsoft's respectable history with the devices.

Wait a minute...

They also don't have a choice.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
31. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 15:59 UHD

Twitter has other uses. John Carmack's is usually interesting even if half the time I don't understand a word he tweets. I'll follow people that run or do things I like since news updates often go out on Twitter too.

Can't really have a discussion over Twitter though, 'cause at the end of the day it's global IM, and turns out having the Internet argue with the Internet isn't really conducive to anything productive.

The article is dumb but if interesting discussion can be borne from its loins... I mean the article will still be dumb but at least its thread can be salvaged.

29. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 15:02 UHD

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 14:12:
It's not fallacious if it goes toward factual statements or credibility as I said already. Not every statement has to refute another either, pointing out hypocrisy is often used to force others to direct their own views internally.

This story is too vague to really decide whats what anyway.

While I agree with you, it doesn't necessarily apply to this twitter drama.

The only reason I bring it up at all is there's a lot of "well they're doing it too, fancy that hmmmmmmmmm" going around and while I'm sure it's satisfying to say it doesn't really do much other than that.

Best hypothetical example I can think of off the top of my head:

"You're being a dick on Twitter" "well you're being a dick on Twitter." You've successfully pointed out hypocrisy; now everyone's a dick on Twitter.

And that you can't argue

24. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 14:01 UHD

Verno wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:34:
UHD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 12:17:
The thing about calling out a hypocrite is that it doesn't actually refute the point. You're not denying anything nor are you successfully justifying anything by calling someone out on hypocrisy.

Nonsense, peoples backgrounds and motives are often just as important as what they're saying. We see this in many other areas of society too - public discourse, legal issues, financial markets, etc. Being hypocritical can often totally negate a point to those you're trying to reach.

Let's say for the sake of argument you are correct, and pointing out hypocrisy has completely discredited your critic.

You still have not addressed the original issue.

That's why it's fallacious; because it doesn't refute a point, merely deflects the criticism.

Ad hominem isn't being used as a legal or rhetorical tool here, it's being used as justification for being a dick over Twitter.

13. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 UHD

The thing about calling out a hypocrite is that it doesn't actually refute the point. You're not denying anything nor are you successfully justifying anything by calling someone out on hypocrisy.

It's ad hominem.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
16. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 09:46 UHD

Because nVidia, who has no stake in this console generation, cares about how games look on console vs PC.  

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2014, 17:39 UHD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 17:24:
Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 11:14:
Many are claiming Sam Biddle's comments were sarcastic and taken out of context. Well, if true, that's why you don't make unclear, context-free comments with only 144 characters. It's the same weak excuse that jackass made after threatening Steam.
Out of curiosity, how can a pro-bullying comment be taken out of context? That's literally what he said, "bring back bullying" "nerds need to be attacked." And it's not the first time either he's said something like that.

Because there's room for nuance in language.

That's not a defense of the dude, I don't really follow twitter drama except for the lols and I'm sure he really is a dickhead, but there is more to language than literal interpretation.

It's just really easy to lose all that nuance in a limited format like Twitter.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: Adobe Oct 22, 2014, 17:10 UHD

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:24:
UHD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:35:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:30:
Corporations back away from stupid public statements made by an employee, news at 11.

Also, people have sex, news at 11.

This non-story just keeps taking up more and more space on bluesnews, ridiculous.

Blues is a news aggregate fueled partially by user submissions (I don't know what proportion though). If people keep pointing these things out to him, he will keep posting them. Also, for better or worse, gamergate generates a lot of interest on this site, and views pay the bills.

Also, Blue's is often mentioned as a trusted gaming news site for people who want an alternative to Kotaku, RPS, Polygon, etc.

Except Blue's often links to those sites for its content. How much original reporting is done on this site versus commentary on someone else's article? I honestly don't know.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 14:39 UHD

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 14:32:
Well that is me and I understand we all have different needs/uses, but I do hope manufacturers will continue making smaller cell phones in the future because this current trend of bigger is better isn't really true for everything.

There's a market for both, it's just unfortunate that Android as a whole is trending bigger and bigger. There aren't a whole lot of (new) small phones to choose from if that's your platform of choice.

183 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo