Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt Rutherford

Real Name Matt Rutherford   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname UHD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.uhdsoft.com
Signed On Oct 18, 2010, 16:26
Total Comments 34 (Suspect)
User ID 56009

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 15:10 UHD

Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:52:
Comparing this to womens suffrage is absolutely ridiculous. "Also do nothing but do it loudly" isn't much of a solution either. I was just recognizing that it will take time for the gender spread to be more equal, its already started in many ways when you look at the past 10 years and how the demographics have changed.

Your presumption is that the gender spread will equalize (assuming 50/50 I guess) and that equal representation will solve the problem outright. That's not necessarily the case, particularly if the culture doesn't change, and it doesn't make it okay to handwave the current state of affairs.

It is absolutely harmful because it furthers the idea that men should look at women as sexual objects first and people second. That is one of the main points of the article. Women can't complain on one hand while ignoring it on the other. If we must endure a hundred articles on this subject then they can write some aimed at the women who are also prolonging that mentality.

You're blaming the victim. How do you not see that?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 14:08 UHD

Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:55:
UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 12:18:
Then what was the point of bringing up those things, except to present the argument that their presence somehow counterbalances the real problems? I'm genuinely curious.

I explained it below, it's not a simple situation. These things happen for a variety of reasons and understanding the reasoning is important. It's also important to understand that there might be nothing people can realistically do about the problem other than allow time to pass. It's also important to acknowledge that women have a role in helping influence their own destiny too, thats why I brought up the example of women who actually damage their own "cause".

Time isn't going to naturally cure all wounds; women's suffrage wasn't a time-release issue. It took effort. You're right that it's not a simple problem with simple solutions. "Do nothing because that's just the way it is" is a simple solution.

I don't think the proverbial GAMERGURL harms the cause of "don't be a dick to women" because you shouldn't be projecting the GAMERGURL's peculiarities onto other women. Much like saying ALL gamer dudez are sexist pigs. It's obviously not true universally, but the sentiment works both ways and doesn't excuse shitty behavior in either case.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 12:18 UHD

Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 11:10:
UHD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:50:
The presence of "GAMERGURLs" doesn't make it okay to be a sexist asshole. The existence of sexual harassment outside the Internet doesn't make it okay inside the Internet too.

Where did I say it makes it ok? Straw man. It's not an excuse for the behavior itself, its a contributing factor in a complex situation. We have a society dominated by the culture of worship based on appearance, the internet which provides casual anonymity and vastly different genders. It's not as simple as "men r dicks". Many, if not most men are not contributing to it. Some women contribute to the problem and I don't see them being called out for it.

Then what was the point of bringing up those things, except to present the argument that their presence somehow counterbalances the real problems? I'm genuinely curious.

Advances aren't inherently harassment either. I think it sucks women have to fend off hoards of lonely nerds online but that's a reality of the gender spread in gaming right now. It is certainly a different landscape now than 10 years ago and will change even more as time goes on. People who harass women after the fact are a different matter and that is a problem without a bullet point solution, I can't really do much to influence that. If it is serious then I would call the police.

Understand that I'm not trying to call you out specifically, and good on you if you're not one of the idiots these articles harp on about. It's not about you specifically, and you shouldn't take it as such.

Kind of a loaded point designed to make any answer seem insensitive.
I don't think its ok that the average MOBA player calls me a worthless waste of life if I miss an assist or threatens to kill me either but I accept that these things happen when dealing with the public and do my best to enjoy the game despite that. I don't like the idea of anyone being harassed but I'm not convinced that this is really an issue I can do anything to influence anymore than the aforementioned. Beating me over the head with it and associating all men with this behavior isn't going to help either.

My point was that the problem exists regardless of whether or not you are part of it. If you're doing your part, you're respectful and calling out others on their bullshit, awesome. But I don't think sexual harassment in gaming would get the attention it does if it wasn't systemic.

Admittedly my response to you was kinda snippy, I apologize; I'm really not trying to be an asshole to you personally.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 10:50 UHD

Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:33:
HoSpanky wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 10:14:
If you don't think women get any more abuse than men, you're delusional. While people will say horrible shit during a gaming match, they don't go hunting those people down, sending them rape threats for months/years after. No one does that shit to males, or if they do, it's incredibly rare.

All men are just hunting women down after matches and threatening rape? If you want people to accept that these things are just a given then you have to look at the other side of if. There are many women who cultivate the GAMERGURL culture and enjoy the sense of attention that comes with it. If you don't believe that then go have a look at twitch or Live From Playstation sometime. My girlfriend isn't a huge gamer but shes played a few online games with me and she has managed to avoid death threats and rape jokes, I don't think its a universal truth that these things are automatic if you're a female gamer.

I think its true that women get a lot of unwanted sexual advances online but the same situation is true outside of the internet in many societies. Many people do not handle rejection well but again thats not a problem that is gender specific.

The presence of "GAMERGURLs" doesn't make it okay to be a sexist asshole. The existence of sexual harassment outside the Internet doesn't make it okay inside the Internet too.

If you can't see sexual harassment of women in a culture dominated by men to be a problem I don't know what to tell you.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 10:20 UHD

How the Internet is right now? Have we been using the same Internet?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 17, 2014, 10:31 UHD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 21:38:
Darwin’s complete Galapagos library posted online.

Posted online legally? Given how much the media industries have twisted congress into extending copyrights back a hundred years or so it's hard to be sure if they're actually in the public domain or not.

I don't think it's a problem. Darwin wrote those books in the 1830s; not even the most optimistic copyright law goes that far back (to my knowledge).

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
3. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:35 UHD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 10:39:
Why? No money is in the game anymore - no AH, who cares.

People multibox games for reasons beyond making money.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
22. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 4, 2014, 12:46 UHD

Ahahahaha "wahh women can have women-only things why can't men have men-only things wahh JUST LET BOYS BE BOYS abloobloobloo"

You have got to be kidding me.

Fucking Hearthstone isn't a manly game for manly people that demands only men play. Neither is Dota or Starcraft. Video games aren't inherently manly or whatever the hell.

If you want a men's only tournament, go make an explicitly men's only tournament, ignore the criticism and scorn of the world at large, and enjoy your sausagefest. Meanwhile eSports will make an attempt, however ham-fisted, to be all-inclusive and be a better thing for it.

Incidentally, there's ladies nights at bars because that brings women into the bar when they otherwise wouldn't bother. You don't need a men's night at a bar because men don't need the extra incentive.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 11:44 UHD

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:52:
UHD wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:26:
Do not understand gender segregation in video game competition.

Okay actually that's a lie, I understand it completely: the people in charge, and sadly most of the competitive community at large, are sexist idiots. Like that one dumb bastard that insisted sexism was part of the culture and 'this isn't North Korea, I can say what I want' then followed it up with leering at one of the competitors through a camera.

It had nothing to do with sexism, unless you count regular sport gender segregation as sexist.

However their new segregation rules "Open for All" and "Women's Only" is definitively sexist. Not to mention retarded.

Oh bullshit. They arbitrarily separated the genders in a 'sport' where gender differences are irrelevant, how is that not sexist?

Sports gender segregation is due to sexual dimorphism. In sports where that doesn't impact competitiveness, such as auto racing, women and men compete on the same level. The e-sports people saying Hearthstone needs a separate women's division (and justifying it with "International Sports Regulations," failing to mention they themselves are the regulating body here) is asinine.

I'm not calling sports at large perfect or whatever, but it doesn't stop the e-sports people from being wrong about this on every level. Retaining the womens-only divisions is likely just a cynical attempt to claim progressiveness.

descender wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 11:17:
That many people really play Smite?!

I thought it was a great change of pace for the MOBA genre, but it had the same toxic community problems the others suffer from (in a BETA, who is a powergaming dickhead in a BETA?!).

Legitimate question: does a MOBA exist where the playerbase isn't full of assholes? It's the prime reason I haven't tried one yet.

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 3, 2014, 10:26 UHD

Do not understand gender segregation in video game competition.

Okay actually that's a lie, I understand it completely: the people in charge, and sadly most of the competitive community at large, are sexist idiots. Like that one dumb bastard that insisted sexism was part of the culture and 'this isn't North Korea, I can say what I want' then followed it up with leering at one of the competitors through a camera.

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 on PTR
9. Re: Diablo III 2.1.0 on PTR Jun 26, 2014, 15:47 UHD

MattyB wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 14:50:
I'm not fussed about trading with strangers, but would love to be able to trade items with clan mates.

My mate has a couple of pieces of my set that he doesn't want, and I can't get at them

On the bright side, legendaries rain from the heavens now, so odds are you'll get what you want eventually anyway. Maybe faster if you play with clan mates.

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 on PTR
5. Re: Diablo III 2.1.0 on PTR Jun 26, 2014, 09:54 UHD

InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:46:
nin wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:35:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:29:
Great, so 6-12 months before it hits live....

Hope they reveal another expansion at blizzcon this year...more classes, please.

More trading please. And PvP. Without these two things Diablo is dead to me There is no reason to interact with other players, none whatsoever. I find this very sad as Diablo 1 and 2 used to be great places to hang out, and shoot the shit once in a while...

I don't know, D3 is certainly more entertaining with friends. Watching my friends die (and vice versa) for stupid reasons or no reason at all is pretty god damn funny.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
62. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 17:16 UHD

Wesp5 wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 04:13:
dizave wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 01:53:
lack of efficiency meaning poor performance?

If you are talking about the CryEngine here, certainly lack of efficiency meaning poor performance! Compared to idTech or Unreal, Crytek always took the brute-force approach in that if your graphics card wasn't top, the games would run poorly. And in my opinion they made the same error as id in that they ignored the licencing market. Now lets hope the Chrome engine will stay with us for some time...

To be fair to id, I don't think they've ever really been that interested in licensing their engines. Studios came to them asking for this or that license, not the other way around.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 4
4. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 4 Jun 12, 2014, 11:24 UHD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 06:26:
Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:56:
Will Linux Ever Be Regarded as an Equal to Windows and Consoles at E3?
No.

It may be once Windows 9 gets here; and Windows 7 stops getting support. I have faith in Microsoft to screw things up even more.

I don't follow.

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
26. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 12, 2014, 11:06 UHD

bhcompy wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:48:
TheEmissary wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:50:

Mantle is not supported on the consoles at all. The consoles have their own low level api that is proprietary to the console manufacturers.

Tom's Hardware article about Mantle

Did you read my linked article, which is newer, with quotes directly from AMD? AMD supports Mantle on console platforms.

It says they're ready to support Mantle on console platforms. Not the same thing.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 21, 2014, 10:13 UHD

I wasn't aware Levine had a cult behind him. I thought the era of game dev groupies was behind us.  

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support
30. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support Feb 3, 2014, 16:29 UHD

harlock wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 15:31:
UHD wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:06:
That article doesn't prove what you think it proves.

and what is it that you think that i think it proves, exactly?

Since you just dropped the link and ran without providing any context, I can only guess you think it proves Mantle is multi-vendor. It doesn't. It's marketing material from AMD saying it COULD be. But until nVidia or Intel release drivers with Mantle support, or at least announce they will support it at all, it's not.

27. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support Feb 3, 2014, 14:35 UHD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:21:
Except OGL has twice to overhead of Mantle. And as nice as it is for Carmack or whoever it was to suggest pushing OGL, 90% of the time improvements to the core are bogged down in committee's. And let's not forget alot of people and developers remember the massive fuck-over in OGL3.0.

I can't find any evidence that OGL has that much overhead, nor that it can't be improved. Do you have a link or something I can look at?

nVidia's saying they can give Mantle-like improvements right now in OpenGL using, among other things, the ARB_multi_draw_indirect extension (originally drafted by an AMD engineer, ironically).

nVidia's response to Mantle

There's caveats, naturally, and at the end of the day it's just as nebulous and what-if as Mantle, but that should at least help put to rest the idea of nVidia implementing Mantle.

The committee bullshit is 100% accurate though. As cool an idea as it is, OpenGL is a hot mess right now and has been since 3.0. Then again, so was DirectX in its early years, and it managed to evolve into something usable.

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:29:
Have any of you seen any of the screenshot comparisons between Mantle and DirectX? Mantle looks awful! Perhaps the screenshots that are floating around on the BF4 forums are not accurate representations though.

I haven't but that's hilarious. And sort of undermines Mantle at the same time, doesn't it?

News Comments > January Steam Hardware & Software Survey
2. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 14:18 UHD

I never really thought the Video Card Description statistics were all that useful. The Intel 4000 might be the most popular single GPU but Intel GPUs make up a little over 16% of Steam's userbase...  

24. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Adds Mantle Support Feb 3, 2014, 14:06 UHD

harlock wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 11:15:
sounds like you may be the simple one here..

http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-api-require-gcn-work-nvidia-graphic-cards/

That article doesn't prove what you think it proves. Marketing slides from AMD aren't solid evidence that Mantle can or will be implemented by nVidia or Intel. Even the article's writer is confused as to whether or not AMD's serious about portability beyond 'sure they can! totally!'

And it's sort of moot because right now neither nVidia or Intel have access to the Mantle codebase and the API isn't published, so nobody can implement it except AMD and their select partners. Until that changes, it's Glide 2.0.

If they really wanted a reduced-overhead API that's cross-platform they could implement OpenGL extensions and push OpenGL instead as (I believe) John Carmack suggested. That they haven't suggests ulterior motives.

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo