Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Satoru

Real Name Satoru   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Satoru
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 14, 2010, 13:20
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 56002

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Key Giveaway
10. Re: Diablo III Beta Key Giveaway Nov 16, 2011, 12:46 Satoru

Cram wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:40:
Satoru wrote on Nov 16, 2011, 12:37:
Or do what I do and have a 'fake' Facebook account for junk like this.

This.

It's a good idea to have a 'fake' Facebook for these kinds of giveaways that companies are doing, since some can only be done via Facebook. I also have a 'clean' Facebook profile for professional use. And a 'personal' Facebook for all my actual friends. Ensures things are segregated nicely.

I have a lot of these kinds of things even in other media.

Obviously the 'junk' email address is pretty easy to do for signing up for contests and mailing lists.

I also create pseudonyms in real life. If I have a contest I want to enter by filling in a form, or other such things, That way when I see stuff in the mail with that pseudonym, it immediately goes in the trash.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Key Giveaway
6. Re: Diablo III Beta Key Giveaway Nov 16, 2011, 12:37 Satoru

You DO NOT need a Facebook page to enter.

https://apps.facebook.com/diabloiiibetasweeps/contests/159910/rules

Click at the bottom "Alternate Method of Entry"

Also from the offical Blizzard FAQ

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3342018236#1

Q. Do I need a Facebook account to enter this promotion?
A. No. While entering with a Facebook account will provide you with some additional benefits, such as sharing if you've won with your friends, you don't need an account to participate. If you'd like to enter, but donít have a Facebook account (and don't want one), you can click on the "Alternate Method of Entry" link at the bottom of the official rules page: https://apps.facebook.com/diabloiiibetasweeps/contests/159910/rules

Read before complaining

Or create a junk Facebook account for crap like this.

News Comments > Steam Forums Hacked?
21. Re: Steam Forums Hacked? Nov 7, 2011, 15:36 Satoru

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 13:38:
It's time for Valve to get their asses together when it comes to security. It doesn't sit well with me that I have a Steam account with a few hundred dollars of games on it, and I'm getting emails from webmaster@steampowered telling me to sign up for a warez/cheat site...

Time to wake the fuck up, Valve, goodwill doesn't last forever when you're dropping the ball.

You will note that I can send you an email that appears to be from anyone on the planet from any domain name without hacking the Steam forums at all.

News Comments > More Origin Spyware Accusations
41. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 09:45 Satoru

baltar wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 07:35:
I heard some success with installing origin under sandboxie to lock it down from digging around your machine.

I got a wrapped copy sitting on my desk and am torn between actually installing it in sandboxie or returning it for a refund.. Really haven't decided yet.

The best you can really do is firewall the executable. The program is just doing a dir of the program files directory. Thus the only way to really 'sandbox' it would to run origin under a user profile that has no access to this directory. The problem is Program Files is a 'special' directory in Windows and you can't really lock it down much beyond the initial settings. So getting Origin to not scan that directory is going to take some ugly hacks.

Even after all your ugly hacking you're going to have problems. Note Origin needs to launch BATTLELOG which is their horrible browser based matchmaking. So if you're running IE, then Origin can't launch IE which is in Program Files, so ... no BF3. Even if you have some other browser, there's a 99% chance you installed it in Program Files so you'll have to move that out. And you'd better hope it doesn't need anything in Program Files\Common Files or again... totally screwed.

News Comments > More Origin Spyware Accusations
16. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 1, 2011, 23:55 Satoru

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 22:15:
Steam may very well do the same thing. I honestly couldn't tell you what data Steam collects. I don't get any Gabe Newell-endorsed erectile dysfunction product emails, so I just don't worry about it. As much as I detest EA and Origin, I'm trying to think what data they could collect from my PC that would bother me or somehow affect me and I'm coming up empty. Though that could just be because I am extraordinarily dull in every way...

It's pretty easy to replicate the behavior in the video. Just google Process Monitor and download it from Microsoft. Filter for Steam.exe and run the program. You'll see it accesses some windows dlls and mostly stuff from the Steam directory.

Then do the same but replace the filter with Origin.exe. It will suddenly start scanning EVERYTHING in program files.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Parasites
4. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Parasites Sep 12, 2011, 14:23 Satoru

Their 'tower defense' description is basically their attempt at describing a vast customizable space warship simulator in a way that won't frighten off most people. It would be like describing Doom but saying "It's like a rail shooter except you have freedom of motion do decide where you want to go".  

News Comments > Steam From Dust Refunds
21. Re: Steam From Dust Refunds Aug 24, 2011, 13:08 Satoru

• Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 11:36:
    That's the distinction that consumers, or Bluesnewsians don't seem to get... DRM works... CD checks worked... Windows Activation works...

What exactly are you basing this on? The existence of these things doesn't define their effectiveness. In fact they quite often have demonstrably little effect on piracy judging by the industries numbers and complaints about it.

One time online activation has been extremely effective against games being released before their street date. Pre-street date releases of PC games are pretty much in the minority now. Where as on the console side it's still a major problem.

News Comments > Alpha Centauri TMs
    7. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 12:37 Satoru

The AC trademark is meaningless. EA will never make the game we want.

The main problem is that what developer is going to make a PC only version of AC? At least with Syndicate you could create a game that would work across the PC and consoles. But the 'traditional' AC simply can't be done on consoles.

Thus is EA going to give some unknown studio tons of money to make AC and only be able to sell it on the PC platform? Of course not. They're more likely to go the current "X-COM" FPS reboot route of some kind with AC.

The trademark thing is more to disallow 2K from making an AC named game, rather than enabling EA to make one.

News Comments > GameStop to Sell Game Downloads
    1. Re: GameStop Launches In-Store Downloads Jul 28, 2011, 17:51 Satoru

I guess it kinda makes sense with Deus Ex. Since it's a Steamworks game the install disc itself is worthless anyways. You're just buying a box so you can type in the code into Steam.

Oddly no store offers an actual pre-order discount....

News Comments > On Risen 2 DRM
    28. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 16:05 Satoru

noman wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:52:

Correct, and even for games that can be run outside of Steam (which are very rare) there could be issues.

Can you give a specific example of a game that does not work in offline mode? You claim this behavior is 'rare', yet I've never seen a game that won't run in offline mode (aside from MP games which obviously don't count).

27. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:54 Satoru

Personally I've only ever heard a few arguments whenever any Steam only game comes out and most of them are pretty silly.

1) I HATE DRM. Ok... fine. But do you own any of the following: any console, dvd or blu-ray player, a TV with HDMI, and practically every electronic device has some kind of DRM enabled. I don't disagree that less drm would be better, but to boycott something because of it seems a bit incongruous given the ubiquity of it in the marketplace. You'd pretty much have to crawl into a hole in the ground to totally avoid DRM products in general.

2) I HATE STEAM. Ok.. .fine. But why? Usually it's 'because it runs in the background', like your IM client, Skype, etc. so why single Steam out? You could always not have Steam running on startup and kill it when you finish playing if that's your cup of tea. Or it falls into the I HATE DRM, scheme so refer above.

3) What if Steam goes bankrupt. This seems like an odd argument. Look at the current high profile shutdowns of APB, Dirt, and all the old sports game servers. These seem like much more pressing concerns than Steam going bankrupt. Not that it isn't a 'possibility' of course.

The only actual legitimate concerns I've heard are

1) Bandwidth usage in areas were internet is metered or is at some ungodly slow speed. This is definitely unfortunate. It definitely underscores the digital divide that exists.

2) Inability to control patches locally. Though this is usually related to the above issue, where users want to control patch downloads either due to bandwidth problems. Civ5 had an interesting discussion where because specific patches are so gameplay changing that users didn't want the latest patches to totally screw up their existing saves. That problem seems to be pretty Civ5 specific though. The bandwidth problem is usually the most often cited issue with patch controls.

Admittedly I like Steam, because I live in a region where I can fully utilise the capabilities of it to my advantage. I realise that other people who are disadvantaged with bandwidth either by cost or availability would dislike Steam.

I think ultimately devs choose Steam due to it's advantages over competing download platforms. Most notably the availablity of achievements, automatic patch management, distribution cost reduction, and DRM.

22. Re: On Risen 2 DRM Jul 26, 2011, 15:23 Satoru

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:15:
    verrul wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 15:02:
    you can go to steamapps folder and open commonapps and make your own shortcuts and outside of VALVE and some online games you do NOT NEED STEAM LOADED. just for the activation one time that's it.

This is not true. For most non-steamworks games sold on Steam this can be done, but not for steamworks titles. Since Steamworks titles are mostly the only games I buy on Steam that doesn't really help me.

You can run steamworks titles offline. You just don't get the advantages of Steamworks, such as online save games and such. Civ5 works totally fine in offline mode and is highly integrated with Steamworks.

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
    13. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 13:34 Satoru

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:23:
    Steam definitely has xbox beat on visibility of new releases. The xbox live service focus's on xbox live arcade titles and retail releases heavily and clouds everything else behind that.

XBLI was awful from the start. Impossible to judge quality of a title, and often difficult to even see what a title was about. There doesn't seem to be an effective way to sort titles or display information. Computers do this far, far better, which is why I'm happy you're able to buy cellphone games via computer. That said, Steam isn't too much better on this front, but at least games on Steam tend to have an internet presence elsewhere to get information.

XBLA has gone like XBLI by this point. It's been about a year since I've purchased a game there, or much even browsed it. Amazing at first, but by now the selection is too great, the quality too varied and the ability to tell what you're looking for too low for me to bother. I'll spend more time looking for a game than playing a game.

At this point calling both those sections failures seems right.

Steam does have similar searching and library visibility issues. There's so many games on Steam now it's almost impossible to browse it all coherently. I think their daily/mid-week/weekend sales are their way of bringing to the front page some game that would otherwise wallow in the depths of Steam's catalog. From that perspective, I think XBLI/XBLA could really benefit from the Steam model of cycling through games more frequently on their front page to give exposure to more of their library to people.

I know people complain a lot on the Steam forums that the Deal of the Day 'sucks' or whatever. But you'd never find this gem of a game without the deal of the day

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45100/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_2

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
    12. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 13:30 Satoru

Tumbler wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 12:30:
    And there is no demo on the steam version of the game...I downloaded the trial on the live indie marketplace and I am probably not going to go back and play it...this is one area steam is pathetic in. They have locked down content yet no way to try it in most cases. You can download a separate demo in some cases but you'd need to come back and download the full game after purchasing it if you wanted it.

The architecture of Steam vs Xbox360 doesn't make 'full demos' possible I would think as a drop in API possiblity. Because the x360 is locked down and hasn't been compromised in terms of security, it allows them a lot of freedom to provide some kind of timed demo.

On Steam this pretty much is not possible. Steam games are already cracked once the game becomes unlocked. Thus there is no real value add to providing this service, since almost no one would use it due to the lack of confidence that it would stay 'locked'. OnLive has this feature but that's because they control the content on their end.

And just an FYI some games on Steam do have demo 'upgrades'. Audiosurf I downloaded the demo during the sale, then when I bought it, it downloaded almost nothing to unlock the game.

News Comments > Might & Magic Anniversary Trailer, Heroes VI Beta Starts Today
    2. Re: Might & Magic Anniversary Trailer, Heroes VI Beta Starts Today Jun 28, 2011, 14:12 Satoru

I'm hoping its at least as good as the King's Bounty series has been in it's absence.  

News Comments > Capcom DRM Follow-up
    27. Re: Capcom DRM Follow-up May 26, 2011, 22:04 Satoru

Wow your ignorance is astounding. As indicated GFWL is already part of the development stream. They can't change it now. It's not THAT arduous a requirement, though I am the first to say I am not a huge fan of it. He's defending it from people LIKE YOU who dismiss it out of hand without really understanding what's going on.

The irony is that people like you complain about hacks and cheats in PC games, yet SCREAM bloody murder if a company tries to protect their game from it. If you use DRM in a way that complements your anti-cheat strategy as WoW does, then isn't that what you want. Especially in a online competitive games such as SSF4?

I want a level playing field for onilne competition in SSF4. If DRM is part of that strategy and is integrated in a good long term plan to maintain the game's integrity for legitimate users, then I'm all for it.

If someone asks for your opinion and you simply spit out "DRM SUCKS" then really you have contributed less than zero to the conversation.

News Comments > AoE Online Keys
    12. Re: AoE Online Keys Apr 29, 2011, 16:17 Satoru

Id love one as well  

News Comments > Portal 2 User Review Backlash
    150. Re: Portal 2 User Review Backlash Apr 21, 2011, 15:29 Satoru

It takes about 8-10 hours to finish up the campaign. That isn't much longer than most games these days. You can burn through Crysis2 and CoD in that timeframe.  

News Comments > Bigfoot and Gaikai Partnership
    3. Re: Bigfoot and Gaikai Partnership Apr 5, 2011, 13:44 Satoru

Bigfoot? Isn't this the same company that sells exteremly overpriced network cards and crap to 'gamers'? Network latency is not a local issue, its a problem down stream. You can't 'fix' it by having some kind of overpriced network card attached to your computer.  

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI in June
    14. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI in June Mar 20, 2011, 17:06 Satoru

Lurk moar wrote on Mar 20, 2011, 14:10:
    Might & Magic Heroes 6 - Official Website or just mmh6.com

Wow, I think UBI needs to fix their google rankings. If you google Heroes Might and Magic you get this

http://mightandmagic.us.ubi.com/

Even still the Facebook page should have a link to the main page. Why should this information be this hard to find on google is puzzling.

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo