Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Satoru

Real Name Satoru   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Satoru
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 14, 2010, 13:20
Total Comments 49 (Suspect)
User ID 56002

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Runemaster Cancelled
2. Re: Runemaster Cancelled Dec 5, 2014, 13:27 Satoru

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 13:13:
Bummer. I was interested in this.

true but at least they're saying "yeah this isn't goign to work we're sorry" rather than "this isn't going to work but we'll release it anyawy and take your money"

It's just the internal team so they'll get reallocated to differnt project so it's not like those people are out of a job or anything. So while it's bad news, at least it's probably the best scenario for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
1. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 09:45 Satoru

Can you even get past the intro sequence with just 24 minutes in a AAA game these days? Hell FF doesn't let you push any buttons for like 1 hour :p

The fact that you get a steam key when you purchase is kinda silly. It means that you're going to have to download the game TWICE if you buy it off this service. That's only gonig to trick people once before they figure out that's fairly unappealing

Also practically all download services do compression....

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2014, 16:15 Satoru

I like how they put forth the only valid point in #5 the immediately dismiss it. Which shows a vast lack of understanding on how the physical distribution channel works.

Publishers set pricing. And physical retailers do not like being under cut by digital retailers. Thus they force publishers to set their digital and physical pricing to be the same. And if you think this is some kind of fantasy, note P&G will literally dance naked outside Walmart's corporate headquarters if the Waltons say so.

The article seems to miss the point that for CONSOLE games physical distribution is the only way to get to the masses. And if a retailer doesnt like you, you can be rest assured your next game will be rotting in the back next to the WiiU titles. While your competitors title will be prominently displayed at the front, while the cashiers constantly ask every person that walks in if they want to pre-order it.

News Comments > $80 Offworld Trading Company Prototype Released
6. Re: And it keeps going Jul 22, 2014, 15:01 Satoru

Cpmartins wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:51:
If you choose to pay for something, then it isn't robbery. I don't care for the game as it is now, but I'll take a look at it when it's finished.

Stardock already has a 'ban' on the game internally because people were playing the prototype constantly so much.

News Comments > Steam Video Capture Utility
2. Re: Steam Video Capture Utility Feb 24, 2014, 17:09 Satoru

This isnt really a 'steam' thing it's just another application on the steam store.

The title makes it sounds like its an integrated feature which is mislading

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
21. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 17:06 Satoru

avianflu wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:37:
Australia is growing oddly conservative and has been for some time.

oh and just try immigrating there. The answer will be no unless you are 20-something.

And white

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep Jun 25, 2013, 11:34 Satoru

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 11:23:
Creston wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 11:12:
Last week's patch was like 30 megs or so. I doubt it's that small... They've got tons of new art in the DLC, so I expect it to be a Gig if not larger.

Creston

I thought I got one for like 200 meg, but even that would be small...could be a partial.

The Torque DLC is already 900MB

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\DLC\Iris

And Captain Scarlett's was 900MB as well

G:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\DLC\Orchid

Given that this DLC is the 'largest EVAH!!!' I'm guessing you're not going to get away with anything less than 1GB

EDIT:

Poking around the DLC appears to be 'slightly' preloaded under the codename Aster

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\DLC\Aster

No real assets but you can see 'hints' of what is to come in the willowdlc.ini

Not really spoilers but I made it secret just in case

+Package=GD_Aster_CriticalFail
+Package=GD_Aster_RaidBoss
+Package=GD_Aster_WinterIsComing
+Package=GD_Aster_RollInsight
+Package=GD_Aster_LootNinja
+Package=GD_Aster_ClaptrapWand
+Package=GD_Aster_TempleTower
+Package=GD_Aster_ClaptrapApprentice
+Package=GD_Aster_PetButtStallion
+Package=GD_Aster_SwordInStone

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2013, 11:41.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
2. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 09:49 Satoru

What's the point of an R18+ rating system if you're just going to do the EXACT same thing as before, which is to exclude anything and everything under the sun.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Beta Keys [Updated]
7. Re: Dota 2 No Longer Requires Beta Keys Jun 21, 2013, 13:30 Satoru

Note GosuGamers TOTALLY SCREWED this up. DOTA2 still requires keys. They were apparently too stupid to say INSTALL the game and test whether their 'news' was true.

It is not. They did it for pageviews for something they knew was false.

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
71. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 13:05 Satoru

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 10:19:
Satoru wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 09:56:
EULA are 100% legal in all countries it is a legal contract.

Unless you can point to a specific provision and to what local law it violates they are legal. No matter what you think they are legal and enforceable.

You can put whatever you want into an EULA, it doesn't mean it will hold up under scrutiny and judgment. Saying something is 100% legal in all countries is an over generalization too.

My point was that people think EULA are illegal. They are not as they are contracts. Specific provisions may be unenforceable depending on the clause or local law, but even that in no way makes them "illegal". People need to get it into their brains that EULA are contracts an are enforceable world wide.

Almost nothing on any properly written EULA is unenforceable no matter what county you are in. This is how Xbox is able to obliterate your entire account if you put "Tutorial for 1800 MSP" in your profile.

If EA kills your account because they have proof that You withheld a bug during the beta, then you have no recourse. There is nothing illegal about it. Even if proving it would be quite difficult.

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
68. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 09:56 Satoru

EULA are 100% legal in all countries it is a legal contract.

Unless you can point to a specific provision and to what local law it violates they are legal. No matter what you think they are legal and enforceable.

The clause appears to be designed such that cheat creators would be liable within the game. A cheat creator could release a cheat from a known bug but not cheat themselves. Thus never violating the EULA though ruining the game for everyone

This is one minor way in which companies can go after cheat creators.

It's a bit of a round a bout way of doing it though

News Comments > New Space Hulk Game Next Year
10. Re: New Space Hulk Game Next Year Dec 11, 2012, 01:31 Satoru

ChaosEngine wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 21:49:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 20:45:
Think the success of XCom had anything to do with this?

Speaking of XCom, I hope they made a decent profit on that. It would be a shame it if went another 12 years in between releases.

Was just thinking the same thing myself

Given their previous history of games, the quality, and how they look. I would use a different analogy

It looks like a JA2 update... and we all know how that went. I'm very very dubious this studio can give anything remotely polished like Firaxis. The launch trailer and the Space Marine model alone make me feel very uneasy. The spacemarine model looks.... 'odd'. Especially given Relic's treatment of the franchise, this looks very ham handed. I 'want' to be excited but nothing about teh studio, the movie, or the even the single still provide make me think this is going to be anythign other than an unmitigated disaster.

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
23. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 22:05 Satoru

spindoctor wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 19:02:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:07:
If only Blizzard had the kind of resources that InXile or MinMax games had, then they could afford to just do a proper Linux port.

But with a small indy studio like Blizzard you just have to take what you can get.

95% of all games do not have a Linux client, and I don't think Blizzard ever claimed that Linux was supported, so why single them out?

And how can people be surprised when their automated cheat detection system finds problems when people connect through an emulator on an unsupported environment?

On top of the fact that these 'reports' are suspicious and so few. There's hardly a 'revolt' going on in any of the Wine forums about it. Of course the WINE is 'unlinked' how convenient for the author of that incredible piece of nonsense. If this was really a big problem you'd see more than this level of noise about it. Just because they're linux users doesn't mean they're not cheating just like everyone else.

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
7. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 Satoru

I like how they take totally unsubstantieted claims by a SINGLE user as fact that linux bans are happening

Then they do things like "Oh a user said they could look at thier hard drive for any bots, but Blizzard cut off communications" as if looking at their computer would prove anything? This isn't reporting it's just some biased moron on the Internet trying to thread together any shred of possible innuendo to form it into a whole laughable consipiracy theory against Linux D3 users.

And agian all these users are 'anonymous'. Really? If you're posting to the WineHQ forums say "This is my battle tag, this is why i got banned, help me" not "Im going to bitch and whine but not actually give any useful verifyable information."

And that thread 'collecting information' on PlayOnLinux has 10 posts.

TEN POSTS

Is that the MASSIVE BAN going on? There were more posts whining about DH nerfs than this.

Whoever this writer at CinemaBlend is, they obviously have some kind of axe to grind and are pulling together incredibly tenuous data point and trying to wrap them together. It's quite sad.

Just because you're running on Linux doesn't mean you're not cheating. Done. There is no data to show a MASSIVE problem with Linux users being unfairly banned. There is hard data to show that those who haev been banned, have been banned correctly.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2012, 12:42.

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
22. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 01:38 Satoru

Draugr wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:36:

So there is a part of the game that you don't get access to unless an authenticator is involved? Sounds like getting screwed to me, especially when you consider this only became policy AFTER the games release. Parts of the game were taken away from you unless you met their NEW criteria.
I don't know or particularly care if its worthy of a class action suit, but them providing a solution is how I feel about the situation.

There is only one thing that 'requires' the authenticator the Real Money Auction House. You don't need to use the RMAH. YOu can simply use the normal gold auction house and that doesn't require an authenticator. So only one entirely optional, with an effective alternative, requires you to have the authentictor. You can play the entire game, go online with friends and strangers, use the gold auction house, and never touch an authenticator (assuming you have a good password policy and arent stupid enough to get phished) It's 'nice to have' for stupid people but its certainly not required to play the actual game itself in any way.

21. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 01:36 Satoru

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 23:11:
The Smartphone authenticator works for every blizzard game, your info was wron

he's probably talking about hte old 'sms' auth option that was available. Where it sent you a code through to authenticate. That was compatible with WoW or something but not D3.

19. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 01:32 Satoru

Tomas wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 22:51:
I get more Blizzard spam than any other type which is pretty impressive. That said, I find it rather ridiculous that I'm expected to buy a special device to protect my accounts. I can see it being necessary for WoW as it's an online only game, but for Diablo III that just doesn't make sense. I mean, I just want to play with my buddies on the LAN. Oh, wait...

So lame, obnoxious joking aside, I was pretty ticked when I saw all the account theft going on with D3, and when I was pretty much told to buy a device to secure my account that was kind of like getting kicked in the jimmy. I was under the impression that you couldn't use your cell phone for D3...did that change or was I just fed bad informatio

Note D3 is basically an online game like WoW

The SMS auth portion wasn't compatible with D3. But you could get an authenticator on yoru smartphone for free. And you can emulate an android sdk on your dekstop to get the android app if you really dont want the physical auth

18. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 01:25 Satoru

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:05:
Satoru wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 00:58:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 00:26:
Yeah, if there is a piece of hardware (or complimenting software) that is essentially mandatory, I expect them to provide it.

This. It is insulting beyond belief that Blizzard would have the gall to charge extra or require use of third party solutions for security.

You don't HAVE to use the authenticator. Only if you want to use the RMAH. And you can use it FOR FREE if you have a smartphone. Thus the entire concept of 'enriching' themselves is entirely logically inconsistent.

I agree that the Class Action suit is a bit goofy, but their game is coded very specifically to strongly encourage (if only a hair short of mandating) use of the auction house, then obviously the added security of an authenticator is a must. It ought to have been provided by them instead of making people pony up more cash for one or use a third party one. The former is just a cynical milking of your fanbase and the latter is just carelessly dismissive of their own obligation to make sure people using their game's features are as protected as they can be. In my opinion of course.

I use the Gold AH fine to level up my char to get stuff. If you just play the game, and want to use the Gold AH you don't need the authenticator at all. If you have a reasonable password policy you're fine. All claims of 'mass hijacks' were just people with bad/reused passwords. And again you can get the authenticator for free via any smartphone, or even on yoru desktop by using the Android SDK to emulate one. If cost is really a huge issue there are ways around it. The auth is just added security, but isn't actually requirerd unless you use the RMAH. Otherwise it's just 'nice to have'. The problem is that people who use these games have incredibly bad password, or are easily tricked into giving them away for FREE GOLD or whatever nonsense they want in the game. User stupidity is the reason authentictors exist for about 95% of the population.

You only NEED the auth for the RMAH. and again you don't 'need' to use that. You can use the Gold AH to get what you need.

16. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 00:58 Satoru

Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 00:26:
Yeah, if there is a piece of hardware (or complimenting software) that is essentially mandatory, I expect them to provide it.

This. It is insulting beyond belief that Blizzard would have the gall to charge extra or require use of third party solutions for security.

You don't HAVE to use the authenticator. Only if you want to use the RMAH. And you can use it FOR FREE if you have a smartphone. Thus the entire concept of 'enriching' themselves is entirely logically inconsistent.

14. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 00:51 Satoru

Riker wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 23:34:
Sounds reasonable to me. It sounds like that $26 million was profit. Covering your costs is one thing. Profiting off your own systems' insecurity is another thing entirely.

None of that was 'profit' They're selling them AT COST. You can pay up to $10 for even crappy authenticators. $25-50 for RSA branded ones. And the authenticators are only a small fraction of the LICENSING costs to maintain all those authenticators on the back end with licenses required for every single authenticator, on top of the server and maintanence infrastructure. They are 'not making money' by any stretch of the imagination.

Note you can get authenticators for free on any cellphone. Ergo if 'making money' was the presumption, why make such an option available? IT's stupid logic that's why.

And note Authenticators aren't REQUIRED to play. They're added security. Note you DO NOT HAVE TO USE the RMAH. Thus any idea that you're 'forced' to use an authenticator is again moot.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2012, 00:56.

49 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo