Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping
34. Re: Blizzard Acknowledges Diablo III Item Duping Mar 27, 2013, 11:47 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 08:49:
You defended a turd of a game and are still defending it. Well done blizzard zealot #1321.

He likes the game, which is fine.
You don't like the game, which is equally fine.

Why the name calling?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC
24. Re: Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 AngelicPenguin

Omar!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
28. Re: Game Reviews Mar 26, 2013, 14:32 AngelicPenguin

ItBurn wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 10:29:
I haven't played the game, but there's no way it's "that" good. I may end up being wrong, but these are classic early super-high reviews and it's exactly what happened with Bioshock, which was good, but more like a 75-80.

Everyone has an opinion - I thought Bioshock was superb (some bits near the end seemed repetitive, though.) My only beef with saying its a 75-80 would be that most game reviews fall in that score, so I would be hard pressed to think anyone would find Bioshock average or slightly above average. Granted this is a problem with game review scores in general, but that is just how they are scored today.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
27. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 16:19 AngelicPenguin

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:24:
Playing Bioshock atm, bit of eh. Maybe it's because I've seen it all and the "shock" has warn off, which means, it's not a good game. Good games stand the test of time. Bioshock 2 seems more appealing atm.

Not to sound like a Cutter though, Infinite looks - infinitely better

I'm confused - are you saying you played Bioshock 2 first?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 25, 2013, 11:41 AngelicPenguin

Let me guess...American McGree has a mobile game in the works  

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Announced
10. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Announced Mar 21, 2013, 16:57 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 16:34:
The actual tiny bit of gameplay was pretty awesome.

It really was. For most of the trailer I felt like I was watching something about Magic the Gathering. Granted I had sound off...

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer
22. Re: Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer Mar 21, 2013, 16:32 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 16:22:
Netic wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 14:45:
Blah blah blah, EA evil, EA dlc is evil, whatever.
Lots of proof has been provided that EA is garbage these days, yet it seems you've ignored it and remain a fan.

His post said the only thing he likes is that they have DICE. At least read the whole thing before giving someone grief.

News Comments > NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed
16. Re: NVIDIA Face Rendering Demoed Mar 21, 2013, 11:17 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:48:
Ummm the shit they used in LA Noire was fucking tits... why the fuck isn't EVERY GAME using it by now?

Ya that was the first game where I could recognize actors by the way they looked.

News Comments > No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions
33. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:17 AngelicPenguin

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:29:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:17:
Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:59:
Speaking of QTEs, when will this horrid design crutch die already?
When games are no longer made for people with numb minds?

In the 90's we had cutscenes, in the 00's we have QTEs. Id like to go back to the cutscenes please, they might be just as immersion breaking but at least I dont have the feeling of finger raping my keyboard or mouse.

As long as they aren't those 90s cutscenes with real actors in them. Eep...

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"
44. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 16, 2013, 22:57 AngelicPenguin

hex863 wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:58:
If that was the vision, then a major error was made in calling the product "SimCity". Quite seriously, calling it "SimCity Online" from the start would have set expectations much better -- it would have avoided much of the disappointment.

It sounds as if they were trying to cash in on the brand name loyalty but then were producing something that didn't fit with that basis of that loyalty.

(And no, I don't think this is some DRM conspiracy theory or pure spin -- I can believe it really was a poor series of decisions over time where a potentially cool vision just wasn't being realized -- and they released anyway without adapting to that reality.)

I guess now it makes sense that they dropped the suffix (Sim City 5 or whatever.) They've rebooted Sim City into an online game.

I agree, though. Just tell us up front that that is the focus and you probably save a lot of headache.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
77. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 13, 2013, 11:14 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 21:53:
KTR wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 20:52:
nin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 20:22:
Also, keep an eye on the new official TA sequel.

When you say "official" are their actual devs from the TA working on it? I didn't follow the KS closely...

Yes. A lot of key members of TA and Supcom are working on PA.

Huh, thank you both! I'll have to grab it when it's out...I see preorders are up, but they're a little steep.

Agreed, I loved TA and the first supreme commander. Nice find! (They need some better PR)

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 19:30 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 17:55:
Darks wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 16:33:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:15:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:09:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:05:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

I always thought the same thing about the NBA. I want my team to play methodical defense and push the shot clock to the limit, so I think they should ban fast breaks and teams that like to run.

Who said anything about banning playstyles? holy strawman batman.

How can I strawman talking about myself? Nothing fast should happen in the NBA darn it!

edit: I'm just messing with you, but it does sound like competitive RTS isn't really your thing. Most RTS games have some sort of early game rush - in fact I can't think of a single one that didn't.

This is the main problem I have with this game. Blizzard purposely designed this game so matches only last 20 mins. They purposely give you limited resources and force you to expand. They also made defense practically useless. Most of the time when being rushed, your defense fall faster than units. Most defenses felt like they were made of paper. They get ripped through so fast.

This is what turned me off about SC and why I will never go back to it.

Blizzards track record recently is 0 - 2

Thanks Dark, that's pretty much my point. Even if you're half way decent at micro managing, half the time it doesn't matter because 2 mins in you have 60 zerglings tearing you a new asshole. Some people may call that fun. Me I just find it fucking tedious.

I know you do not like or care to play this game, but to be a decent SC2 player and get to gold all you really have to do is keep building and spending your money, and don't get resource blocked. You'll very quickly move up the ranks that way. At that point, ya someone will be doing the same thing and then you will have to out strategize them (or just do it faster.)

47. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:25 AngelicPenguin

edaciousx wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:22:
prefer macro? Sounds like total annihilation/supreme commander is up your alley.

In both those games you could very easily rush, though. I distinctly remember the little fast tank rush in Supreme Commander as being a real balance issue when the game launched.

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:15 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:09:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:05:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

I always thought the same thing about the NBA. I want my team to play methodical defense and push the shot clock to the limit, so I think they should ban fast breaks and teams that like to run.

Who said anything about banning playstyles? holy strawman batman.

How can I strawman talking about myself? Nothing fast should happen in the NBA darn it!

edit: I'm just messing with you, but it does sound like competitive RTS isn't really your thing. Most RTS games have some sort of early game rush - in fact I can't think of a single one that didn't.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 15:24.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:05 AngelicPenguin

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
41. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 13:26 AngelicPenguin

Wait - SimCity is out?  

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
78. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:30 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:58:
and ASeven, you really have me on your shit list don't you? wanna cut out the personal attacks a bit? you can debate my opinions will my eyes turn blue, but you aitn't got no right no be talking smack like that.

If you're having a problem with somebody you should probably just put them on your ignore list and move on. Life's too short.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
78. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 14:52 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:12:
EkimDeLhi wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 22:13:
And the fact that they could try to turn off cheetah speed to resolve the connection issues makes me wonder how much of the calculations are being done on the servers. If it's the case that the game actually does a lot of that on the EA server farm it's no wonder it crashed their shit. Also, if that's the case, it feels like some smoke and mirrors. So like, if everyone in the Sim City "world" starts cheetah (refuse to capitalize) mode'ing, that could just crash the entire game for everybody? At any time?

Well, if you didn't put up enough servers to handle the calculations, sure.

But here's the funny thing: EA claims that the small city sizes are necessary because OUR computers aren't powerful enough to handle the intricate detail of the game.

But then on the flipside, they say (and it seems) that a lot of these calculations are done on their server side, which is supposed to be eminently scalable. So really what they are saying is "We stuck with small city sizes because we don't want to pay for the infrastructure to allow bigger ones."

BUY NOW! SUPPORT EA!

Creston

I thought the difference was they wanted to be able to render ok on a low end computer. I dunno, looking at the videos the game looks pretty nice. I could see a huge city chugging on a slower PC.

So I guess what I'm saying is, isn't there a difference in what they are offloading to the server simulation-wise, and what they are trying to achieve performance-wise when it comes to graphics.

Don't get me wrong this is obviously a mess and a serious embarrassment, but I thought maybe that was THEIR point anyway with the dad's PC comment.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
44. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 01:50 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:08:
I'm more certain than ever they have a lot of processing going on in the server end, or maybe its all copy protection stuff where every minute it polls server "am I authorized to let this user have his water, electricity and sewer perform for 30 more seconds?"

My understanding was that they do quite a bit of processing on the server.

This quote made me chuckle: "What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game." Spinning like a top!

Is there a marketing reason why they do global releases? It does seem like releasing in one region at a time would make these problems far more manageable.

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
15. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 11:00 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:54:
including Diablo

Vastly preferred 2s. Shows up in 3 and my first thought is "really? that's it?"

I have nightmares where Diablo is nagging me as in Act 4.

297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo