Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 284 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:15 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:09:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 15:05:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

I always thought the same thing about the NBA. I want my team to play methodical defense and push the shot clock to the limit, so I think they should ban fast breaks and teams that like to run.

Who said anything about banning playstyles? holy strawman batman.

How can I strawman talking about myself? Nothing fast should happen in the NBA darn it!

edit: I'm just messing with you, but it does sound like competitive RTS isn't really your thing. Most RTS games have some sort of early game rush - in fact I can't think of a single one that didn't.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 15:24.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
42. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:05 AngelicPenguin

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

I always thought the same thing about the NBA. I want my team to play methodical defense and push the shot clock to the limit, so I think they should ban fast breaks and teams that like to run.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
41. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 13:26 AngelicPenguin

Wait - SimCity is out?  

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
78. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 21:30 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 20:58:
and ASeven, you really have me on your shit list don't you? wanna cut out the personal attacks a bit? you can debate my opinions will my eyes turn blue, but you aitn't got no right no be talking smack like that.

If you're having a problem with somebody you should probably just put them on your ignore list and move on. Life's too short.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
78. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 14:52 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 12:12:
EkimDeLhi wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 22:13:
And the fact that they could try to turn off cheetah speed to resolve the connection issues makes me wonder how much of the calculations are being done on the servers. If it's the case that the game actually does a lot of that on the EA server farm it's no wonder it crashed their shit. Also, if that's the case, it feels like some smoke and mirrors. So like, if everyone in the Sim City "world" starts cheetah (refuse to capitalize) mode'ing, that could just crash the entire game for everybody? At any time?

Well, if you didn't put up enough servers to handle the calculations, sure.

But here's the funny thing: EA claims that the small city sizes are necessary because OUR computers aren't powerful enough to handle the intricate detail of the game.

But then on the flipside, they say (and it seems) that a lot of these calculations are done on their server side, which is supposed to be eminently scalable. So really what they are saying is "We stuck with small city sizes because we don't want to pay for the infrastructure to allow bigger ones."

BUY NOW! SUPPORT EA!

Creston

I thought the difference was they wanted to be able to render ok on a low end computer. I dunno, looking at the videos the game looks pretty nice. I could see a huge city chugging on a slower PC.

So I guess what I'm saying is, isn't there a difference in what they are offloading to the server simulation-wise, and what they are trying to achieve performance-wise when it comes to graphics.

Don't get me wrong this is obviously a mess and a serious embarrassment, but I thought maybe that was THEIR point anyway with the dad's PC comment.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
44. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 01:50 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:08:
I'm more certain than ever they have a lot of processing going on in the server end, or maybe its all copy protection stuff where every minute it polls server "am I authorized to let this user have his water, electricity and sewer perform for 30 more seconds?"

My understanding was that they do quite a bit of processing on the server.

This quote made me chuckle: "What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game." Spinning like a top!

Is there a marketing reason why they do global releases? It does seem like releasing in one region at a time would make these problems far more manageable.

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
15. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 11:00 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:54:
including Diablo

Vastly preferred 2s. Shows up in 3 and my first thought is "really? that's it?"

I have nightmares where Diablo is nagging me as in Act 4.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 AngelicPenguin

Are there ANY articles on that DSL reports site that don't sound completely biased? It makes it hard to take anything written there even remotely seriously.  

News Comments > Diablo III Item Change Plans
11. Re: Diablo III Item Change Plans Mar 5, 2013, 19:06 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 17:20:
Verno wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:13:
Sounds like they're taking some cues from Path of Exile and Torchlight 2. Oh well, steps in the right direction at least. That guy sounds like he really does understand some of the design problems and mistakes made.

Changes for the good being made since the moron Jay Wilson left.

Things can only get better since hes not there stifling the game with his horrible ideas. The guy did not listen to his own people telling him that many of the design decisions were bad. But his ultra-ego Its my way or no way made him think he was god. And one of the reason hes no longer there, even though he says he left on his own. Yea, we buy that story.

BTW, what really pisses me off about these patches and their fixing set items and legendries is, they had better fix it so all of the current ones are fixed with the same attributes. That really pissed many off the last time they made a big change to these items. Everyone had to go out and re-farm them again and spend hours upon hours farming them or end up spending ungodly amounts of gold to get one item.

I can pretty much guarantee they won't retrofit any of them. I think they are concerned about changing something someone actually likes, but I think they should add a "re-roll" option to allow it be like the latest version.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2013, 13:59 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 09:33:
Yup my Razer Copperhead had the exact same problem after less than a year of heavy use. My Logi G5 has been rock steady for like five years.

I heard that Logis after the G5 had build quality issues...

Ya, I've had the same issue with two of my Razer mice. A third is still going strong, but my Logitech has had no problems.

I'm a lefty, so my mice options are a bit limited.

News Comments > No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play
18. Re: No Diablo III PC/PS4 Play Feb 26, 2013, 00:01 AngelicPenguin

Asmo wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:20:
Krizzen wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:46:
It's relevant because Blizzard mentioned it around the first time they said Diablo 3 and console in the same paragraph. They said they had Diablo 3 working with a console controller, and it worked pretty good. The community response was immediately: "Can I use my 360 controller on PC? Why can't I since you guys have it working?"

That's why it's relevant.

I have about as much respect for those people as I do for someone who willingly cuts off perfectly health legs so he can use a wheelchair...

Blackhawk wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:09:
Stop with the conspiracy theories.

There is no cross play for the same reason that there is no cross-play with most competitive games (especially those where you're spending real cash: It is impossible for a console player to remain competitive with a PC player. I can program my keyboard with complex inputs that would twist someone's thumbs into a pretzel if they tried it on a controller.

A keyboard/mouse can provide more input more quickly and precisely than a controller.

In other news, water is wet.

Sad thing is, the PS3 (and presumably the 4) have full mouse/keyboard support built in. But they can't give anyone the advantage otherwise they would have to do it for everyone...

Not that I'd buy it on either platform, but hell, let the user select the control scheme on startup and if the happen to be a PS3/4 user with a mouse/kb, let them play with the big kids instead of being stuck in the kiddie pool.

I have no idea why it bothers you if someone wants to use a controller for their PC. I thought a big part of PC gaming was that you had options.

Funny enough, you seem all for it on the PS3/4.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Star Wars Feb 22, 2013, 13:15 AngelicPenguin

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 11:08:
Am I the only one a little worried about these rumors that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are in talks to be in the next Star Wars movie? Mark will be 63 by the time the movie is out, and Harrison will be Seventy-Fucking-Two!

I'm not sure why you are worried. Look how well shoehorning characters from the original trilogy worked in the prequels.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Season Pass Announced
25. Re: BioShock Infinite Season Pass Announced Feb 21, 2013, 17:10 AngelicPenguin

kyleb wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 16:56:

That said, while Dark Souls world certainly isn't as open as Bethesda games in some respects, it's not nearly "a nice linear rail" either, and is more open world than Bethesda's in the sense that you can explore the whole world without ever seeing a load screen other than the one when you start up the game. To all of you who've never bothered to play it: you're missing out on an amazing experience.

Yup, my game of the year

News Comments > GeForce GTX TITAN Announced
76. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 20, 2013, 18:22 AngelicPenguin

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 12:05:
dj LiTh wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 11:07:
...Your statement is completely false...

Wha... how can you not get what I mean, do we speak different languages here?

I THINK traditional CPU CORES ARE TOO SLOW compared to modern GPU's and their many-core approach.

I ALSO THINK THEY SHOULD BE FASTER IN GENERAL by factor 5 to 40 per CORE to be USEFUL for futuristic stuff. Like AI, Physics and proper.. AI.

Meh!

If you want slower cpu's, good for you. I want faster cpu's.

You made quite a few posts trying to tell us how an apple is a small red orange.

News Comments > Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite
24. Re: Gone Gold - BioShock Infinite Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AngelicPenguin

Esoteric wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 03:17:
I've still yet to play Bioshock 1 and 2. My girlfriend has beat both, really liked them, and is very much looking forward to Infinite. I told her maybe she should wait and check reviews first before buying it. She's like, "Nope, I don't care, I really enjoyed the first two and this one ties up the story, I'm going to play it good or bad."

So, should I play Bioshock 1 and 2? =P

The first half of bioshock is really great. After that it gets a tad samey but it's still a good ride. I never played the second one as the reviews made it sound like an inferior copy (done by a completely different team as well) and I felt like the first one gave me all I needed in that world.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:49 AngelicPenguin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:02:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:28:
Crysis 2 for me was just a graphical showcase. The gameplay was pure crap. Crysis 1 (before the aliens) was quite good.
You got that backwards. Crysis was nothing more than a technical demo. Crysis 2 added a Holywood-style narrative and refined the gameplay, especially the nanosuit; while it certainly wasn't amazing it had very good atmosphere - the music was particularly noteworthy (pun intended). I really didn't like Crysis, especially not after Far Cry, but Crysis 2 was decent in an over-the-top action movie sort of way - it wasn't anything special but it was a decent game.

The reviews seem to suggest the same is true of Crysis 3, which is fine by me. Sure it's disappointing that they haven't evolved the series like Ubisoft has with Far Cry 2 and 3 but what it does it does well (at least based on my experience with the multiplayer beta). It's a shame I won't be getting it, as it appears it won't be released on Steam.

I agree with SirKnight - I thought Crysis was quite a bit better than Crysis 2, but I enjoyed them both. Too many narrow hallways in 2 (or should I say alleyways conveniently filled with crushed debris.)

I think it also helped that in the first one, if you played on delta difficulty the enemies spoke Korean. It helped hide what they were saying. In Crysis 2, I'd hear "all clear" when 5 of their buddies were laying there dead and I had cloaked for 10 seconds. In Korean, for all I knew he was praying that I didn't kill him.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 AngelicPenguin

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 20:06:
Once I got past the fact that Crysis was not Far Cry, at least not once after that damned alien ship and turning the world to snow in the first game, I was able to enjoy this series a bit more.

I really enjoyed the second game - I loved that it varies from pure action to stealth gameplay - and I really hope this one is even better.
Thanks, Amazon, for sending me the promo code late at night. QQ.
Wondering how long the game is; hoping the 5 hour reports are inaccurate,
Ray

The guy on shacknews said it took him 10 hours, but that he is rather slow at games.

62. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 18:18 AngelicPenguin

Asmo wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 16:49:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 11:17:
Shataan wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 10:16:
Wtf is the point of having this kinda power if most Developers don`t push the vis envelope in their games.

Multi-screen gaming.

Not required, I run 6080x1200 (3x 24" 1920x1200) on a single GTX680 4 gig (the extra RAM makes the big difference with the extra displays, a 2 gig has issues with the textures), typically most games can run med-high no sweat. Far Cry 3 on high ran solidly, although I'd say envelope pushing with Crysis 3 might give it a heart attack... =)

Ya, I was just pointing out that in multi-screen gaming you really start to need this sort of power if you want to jack the settings up. I run dual 7970s in 3 24" screens and there are many games I can't play on the max settings across all three. Then I have to compromise, either lower the settings or play on the center screen.

I think these cards are made for people who don't want to compromise and obviously like to spend their extra cash on their gaming hobby.

61. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 18:12 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 15:03:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 14:51:
While it pains me greatly to say so, I actually have to agree with loony (sic.) A single 7970 at 2560 resolution would not maintain 60fps on the highest settings in any of the examples he listed.

I never claimed it would, I'm just saying you don't need to run out and buy a $1000+ quasi-commercial card to solve that "problem" necessarily but hey if thats how someone wants to spend their money *shrug*. You can't simply set a framerate target in stone either, different engines are optimized for different targets. The original Crysis is a great example of that. My personal philosophy is to shoot for reasonable averages at what I consider playable at the highest settings.

I understand, but he is obviously (abrasively) coming from a point of view where he wants to play his games in the highest settings at the highest single monitor resolution you can without sacrificing frame rate. And this scenario will require two $500 cards (or I suppose this card, which I don't know anything about.)

Obviously no one needs any of this stuff, but he is arguing against people who say with a single monitor this is overkill, which for that criteria it is not.

44. Re: GeForce GTX TITAN Announced Feb 19, 2013, 14:51 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 13:50:
loomy wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 13:36:
wrong motherfuckers. 680/7970 can both skip down to 30fps or below in crysis/far cry/bf3/skyrim modded. you just need a 2560x monitor and the settings turned up.

don't preach unless you're on a 30" monitor playing all games at the highest settings. if you aren't part of the $1000 video card club or $1000 monitor club, don't open your stupid fingers, you damned whiners

Nah, you don't need a $1000 videocard to drive that setup and there's a difference between minimum framerates and average. You can spend yourself into debt chasing high mins that will always be elusive due to optimization, driver issues and etc. Single card solutions are a mixed bag for multi-mon and very high resolution gaming, there are many scenarios where SLI/CF is preferable as an upgrade path. Either way the real world usage scenario for something like this in a single monitor setup is going to be practically non-existent outside of a development environment. You can spend half the money and get the majority of the performance from a consumer part to drive your crazy Korean monitor or Apple Cinema Display.

While it pains me greatly to say so, I actually have to agree with loony (sic.) A single 7970 at 2560 resolution would not maintain 60fps on the highest settings in any of the examples he listed.

284 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo