Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage
19. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:52 AngelicPenguin

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:39:
Esoteric wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:17:
I think it's the best combat I've ever had in a PC game. Everything is...fair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It's a learning process.

I'd wish that more action RPGs or MMOs had a similar system of weight and balance. Especially the Elder Scrolls games. Combats always been one of their Achilles's Heel. Imagine an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Soul's weighty combat system... *drools*

I couldn't agree more. After playing Dark Souls I literally never played Skyrim again. The idea of going back to that clunky combat just didn't appeal to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:30 AngelicPenguin

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:06:
Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

Like what sort of shortcuts and secrets?

When you get to certain points you can kick down a ladder to provide access between areas, open up a gate, stuff like that is what I'm assuming hes referring to.

The spawning system in Dark Souls makes sense, without it people would just cheese the levels. It isn't a hindrance anyway, eventually your skill at the game increases to the point where you can run the whole thing easily.

How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

That's not how the game plays in practice at all. At least that's not how I played it. You slowly work your way through areas from one bonfire to the next. When you get to the next you may or may not level up depending on how many souls you accumulated.

You mostly upgrade your items at blacksmiths or npcs, which do not respawn enemies and for the minor upgrades you do yourself, see the above method.

The only time where it ever came up was if I had managed to accumulate a lot of souls and had not reached a bonfire yet. Sometimes I had to decide to push on or teleport back to the bonfire to use them. That was pretty rare, though, as the most souls you get at once are from boss fights and after that you are almost always allowed to spend them because the next bonfire should be pretty soon.

And the whole do I push on to imminent death or race back to use my souls is part of the whole appeal of dark souls. In new areas you constantly have a feeling of doom.

16. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:14 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

I agree, I can't think of day 1 purchase more than this. Dark souls is probably my favorite game in the past 3 years.

I loved Demon Soul's but hated farming for healing items, which Dark Souls handles brilliantly.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR
21. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 19:01 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 17:16:
So, even though I used suicide topic as just an "example" and even though I said "God forbid you don't", you all still were butthurt enough about it to report me? ...

Get real.

Seems like no one can say the word "suicide" in any context without you all getting butthurt about it. "OMG, he said the S word!" "OMG, he said the R(rape) word!" ...

Cry me a river.

Turn on your curse filter, and customize it for adding the word "suicide" then.

"One day, should you decide to commit suicide--God forbid you don't"

Funny, doesn't that read as you want him to commit suicide? Wouldn't it be "God forbid you do"?

Anyway, I had to read the sentence twice to realize you weren't telling him to go kill himself.

19. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 16:49 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 16:46:
After i read a deqer post i feel obligated to play atleast an hour. Currently have a level 60 hardcore monk. I do enjoy hardcore as there is no RMAH and the AH is always in a state of flux with chars dieing and needing new items.

Ya, after reading it, I sort of felt like buying some expensive items on the RMAH.

13. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 15:04 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 14:36:
Cram wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 13:36:
I'm hoping a year or so down the road and maybe there's a lull in games to play, that Diablo itch comes back and I end up surprised at the improvements made over time.

Why would you support a company that shoves always-online down your throat for a single-player game? Even if the game became free, you shouldn't support a company that does this. You need to open your eyes a little wider.

See my post above.

8. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 13:07 AngelicPenguin

flechett3 wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 12:59:
Things that should have been in the game since day 1!

That horse you are beating is long dead.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2013, 15:05.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
56. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 15:00 AngelicPenguin

SirKnight wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:40:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:17:
Carmack made a big error with the megatextures stuff!

No it wasn't Carmack's fault at all (unfortunately so many do not understand how the tech works and why it's needed at all). It's how id (the artists) used it. Virtual Texturing (megatextures) is a great technology in many ways and is the future of texturing, but if not used right it will look bad.

The way id used it was to have unique texturing everywhere, instead of having repeated textures like in the past. But because of the storage limits of the consoles, this unique-ness sacrificed texture quality. One of the biggest benefits of virtual texturing is to have texture detail you could not physically have otherwise due to hardware texture size limits (which is about to change with future GPUs). id chose the other path, which resulted in blurry textures since their large textures had to stretch over a whole world to get the unique texturing they seem to have wanted.

Ya, I thought the idea seemed really neat, but I guess in practice it didn't work out. Didn't they also have something where it would auto adjust the quality so the game kept a constant 60 fps? I thought that sounded awesome, but I dunno how it turned out, since I never played Rage because the reviews were mixed. I have played all their other games and personally my favorites are Doom 2 and the original Quake, so I guess it has been a while since they did something really great for me.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
54. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 14:47 AngelicPenguin

vrok wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 08:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:48:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:11:
In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and with it's quest structure it is closer to games like Skyrim than anything id had done before. Sadly the megatextures made too many problems on low end systems while at the same time killing off possible mods, but with the right system RAGE looks absolutely beautiful and the characters are the best since Bloodlines, which includes everything RPG from Bethesda!
Could not agree more. RAGE is a masterpiece, the gunplay is second to none. The characters are so under rated.
Brilliant sarcasm. *applause*

Seriously, how much money did you guys get for writing these comments? Where do I apply for a job?

You guys always show up. What difference does it make to you if they enjoyed Rage? They are certainly just an entitled to share their opinion as you are. If someone likes a game you don't, it doesn't mean they are a corporate shill it means they <gasp> have a different opinion.

News Comments > Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released
22. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:04 AngelicPenguin

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:45:
I'd like to see a developer create a Jango/Boba Fett Bounty Hunter type game in the same vein as Jedi Outcast/Academy. You get bounties to take out good or bad targets and go through a story. Surprised that has never come around.

Boba Fett sure, but who is this "Jango" you speak of? (sarcasm.)

News Comments > Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans
23. Re: Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans Apr 3, 2013, 15:46 AngelicPenguin

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 11:59:
As a working adult with a family, I'd gladly take Diablo 3's system over the others.

Personally, I'd take D1's system over both D2 and D3. I liked the "Save" anywhere capability as you didn't have to run all over the place to find a stupid waypoint to hold your current progress.

By system, I meant how you create your build. In D3, saving never comes up as you just start the game at the end of an Act and go play whatever area you want. I suppose when you are initially going through the campaign, but that's a pretty small part of the game.

News Comments > Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans
19. Re: Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans Apr 3, 2013, 11:04 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:33:
There are simply better games to play,

I personally still prefer Diablo 3 to both TL2 and PoE, but I can understand if someone hates Diablo 3 for the changes they made.

If you are a min/maxer and loves to tweak builds until you find the perfect one, I can see how this design isn't really for you.

As a working adult with a family, I'd gladly take Diablo 3's system over the others. I can, for the most part, switch my build at the drop of a hat, login with my friends and play for a few hours, then switch it back to something else later.

I just find the game a lot of fun in short bursts with buddies. The combat is excellent, the skills have a great punch to them, and finding legendaries is fun (even if they are rarely great.)

Does it have its problems? Absolutely, and they will probably mostly get sorted out eventually.

If you hate the game, though, no problem. Every game isn't going to suite everyone. (I sort of hate PoE, too

News Comments > Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks
20. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:54 AngelicPenguin

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 10:21:
I wonder if I'm the only one asking this in the gaming world, but, what on earth do people get out of mods that can alter a game to such extent,

I mean, to people enjoy modding so that they can simply press X and have the whole 20 screens of monsters around them just vanish? Perhaps I am misunderstanding modding, and just think of it as a spoiler cheat cartridge.

I think you should go look up some mods for elder scroll games. They enhance those games in almost every conceivable way.

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
87. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 18:02 AngelicPenguin

Flatline wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:29:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:27:
Flatline wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:12:
And really, assuming that there are a million unique logins a day, and they sold 12 million units, we're probably talking about around a 10-15% player redemption. That's not a lot really.

Ya I have no idea what Blizzard expected, gamers expected, etc. I will say if someone told me 10% of a game's population are playing it regularly a year after it came out, I'd think that was pretty successful, especially when that 10% is a million users. But I have no idea really on something like this.

Call of Duty: Elite has around 10 million users for a relative benchmark.

Is a console game relative?

85. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 17:27 AngelicPenguin

Flatline wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:12:
And really, assuming that there are a million unique logins a day, and they sold 12 million units, we're probably talking about around a 10-15% player redemption. That's not a lot really.

Ya I have no idea what Blizzard expected, gamers expected, etc. I will say if someone told me 10% of a game's population are playing it regularly a year after it came out, I'd think that was pretty successful, especially when that 10% is a million users. But I have no idea really on something like this.

81. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 17:04 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 16:09:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 15:38:
I think that shows very clearly what is shouted about on game forums doesn't translate into reality at all.
I don't think thats what it shows. I think it shows that they could have done far far more sales if they had a little more sense about how they made the game.

More than 12 million sold?

All I was saying is that, while the game seems despised on gaming forums, there are plenty of gamers out there playing it, so I'm assuming they find it fun.

74. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 15:38 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 14:27:
Darks wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:01:
It may have sold that many copies, but there are defiantly not that many people sitting around playing it now. Compared to D2 this game has failed to hold its luster that kept many D2 players playing for several years.
What do you mean "may" ? It DID. In fact it sold 12m copies, they announced it on their earnings.
link
Not exactly a secret or a guess from NPD here.

Also, in last day or two, its been announced that they have 3 million unique players a month and 1 million unique players a day. Seems like its holding its lustre just fine for a large number of people (I'm not one of them).
http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/story.html?sid=6406151

People aren't exactly sticking it to blizzard over this game even now. If anything the lesson blizzard will take away from this is they can say anything and sell anything they like and people will rush out to buy it.

I think that shows very clearly what is shouted about on game forums doesn't translate into reality at all. Killing stuff is a lot of fun in that game, and I think to a large number of people, that's all that matters.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 28, 2013, 17:36 AngelicPenguin

Everything about Java 8. Except the appropriate warnings against using it.

You do realize that there is a big distinction between server side java which is widely used and adopted and client side java for running programs using java web start or applets, correct? The latter is where the exploits are occurring and no java developer in their right mind has written client side applications requiring java to actually be installed on a client machine in at least a decade.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC
95. Re: Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC Mar 28, 2013, 14:50 AngelicPenguin

siapnar wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 21:59:

The guy playing SUCKS DICK. God, what a joke.

You do realize this is a trailer right? I'm sure they played the same sequences over and over until they had one that looked really awesome. How much he got shot at or where he was positioned probably had nothing to do with skill it was more certainly to give the best impression of the effects and graphics.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC
72. Re: Battlefield 4 Gameplay Trailer; Preorder Bonus DLC Mar 27, 2013, 19:22 AngelicPenguin

TGro wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 17:01:
ASeven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 16:51:
TGro wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 16:40:
I had to make an account (been reading Blues since the 90s) to post a rant....but I erased it and am posting the sum.

Gamers have become the bitchiest bunch of prima donnas, often I read the comments just to see the views of another...but this is starting to turn into youtube.

So you made an account to bitch about people bitching? You're not the smartest person, are you?

Geez, we're attracting more and more idiots by the hour. Must be the water.

Said the pot to the kettle, coincidentally enough your exact post earlier is one in which my rant was about. Meh, I have said all I feel like saying on the subject...bitching about bitching, so be it.

True, there is a ton of negativity on the forum, but that's how it seems everywhere on the internet. Anonymity and all. I re-read his post though and honestly didn't think much about it - or was that just the straw that broke...

On topic, I thought the trailer looked pretty neat, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of playing going on. I haven't played a modern warfare type shooter since COD4, so maybe I'll try this one. If I get to play the game with Omar it might be worth it! (He's in the wire, if some of you sadly haven't seen it.)

297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo