Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 287 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
63. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 23:51 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 18:35:
Kawlisse wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 18:08:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 11:01:
A game thats suppose to have 1000x more features then X Rebirth in half the dev time, what could go wrong!

Dont get me wrong, the amount of time to make Star Citizen is really short compared to X rebirth !!! But what? it took 7 years to release a crap game like X rebirth ???? Animations are crap, in ship textures are crap, the only good looking thing is space.

X Rebirth is a total letdown. I am keeping my fringers crossed for Star Citizen.

Oh trust me, i think myself and countless other Bluesnews commentators would like nothing else then to be completely wrong in every regard about this game. In fact nothing would make me happier then to be wrong about this game.

So it's that bad huh? I was really looking forward to it (really liked X3TC.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
62. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 23:47 AngelicPenguin

ItBurn wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 15:05:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:52:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:25:
What? These features don't, in any way, turn the game into a tech demo. Far cry 2 and 3 are tech demos? I had a LOT more fun with Crysis 1 than Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is a COD clone. Crysis 1 is the evolution of Farcry 1. The reason it's less fun is debatable, but I think it's because they tried to go the more serious route.
The problem with Crysis is that it had weak gameplay, a terrible narrative and was very poorly optimised. By the time people were able to play it at high settings there were games with much better gameplay, graphics and optimisation - Far Cry 2 being an obvious example. I can certainly understand why people refer to Crysis as a tech demo. Crysis 2 had a much better narrative, pace and optimisation - it was the better game, even if it went a bit too linear.

Crysis 1 is still one of the best looking games out there in my opinion, if you consider that it's open world. Compare it to any other open world shooter released to date and it looks better. I also disagree that Crysis 2 was the better game. I had more fun with the first. But whatever, that's just me.

Nah not just you. I had to force myself to finish Crysis 2 and I loved the first one. I never get the tech demo argument either, but I guess it's all just opinions anyway. The original Crysis is actually one of my favorite shooters.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Developer List Found
37. Re: Half-Life 3 Developer List Found Oct 2, 2013, 19:05 AngelicPenguin

Icewind wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 18:50:
Clearly, that didn't happen but no one called them on it because Valve is god.

Look a few posts above yours. As if in this day and age everyone isn't called out about everything.

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
41. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 16:43 AngelicPenguin

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:20:
They just did their all new engine, though.

Is this the engine without the ugly face NPCs? :-)

News Comments > More Diablo III Itemization Answers
9. Re: More Diablo III Itemization Answers Apr 12, 2013, 18:52 AngelicPenguin

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 16:15:
They made the mistake of putting all the character's weight in to gear and then funneling the best stats in to three types: crit damage, crit chance, and attack speed. Weapon damage was great since it's what your abilities were based off of but even a higher-damage weapon was garbage if it didn't have at least two of those three stats.

You are correct in general, but technically weapons can only have crit damage, while it's various armor pieces that are worthless without generally two of the three. It is all very homogenized.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC "Half-Assed" - PC Prioritized for Sequel
65. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 18:46 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 12:30:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 12:28:
Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:46:
Whatís offensive to me is when some junkie kid screams about needing controller support for a pc game. Yes that is offensive. You want to play with a controller go play on your console. Itís that simple. If you donít own one, then stop trying to turn your pc into one.

It's really so hard to understand that some games play better with a controller? FPS, RTS, etc play infinitely better with a keyboard and mouse, flight sims and space games play better with a joystick, and 3rd person fighting style games (batman AA/AC, darksiders, dark souls) play better with a controller.

You use the right tool for the job.

Spoken like a true console freak!!

o........k.........

I actually play all my games on a PC, but I can see this discussion is going nowhere, so thanks anyway.

28. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 12:28 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:46:
Whatís offensive to me is when some junkie kid screams about needing controller support for a pc game. Yes that is offensive. You want to play with a controller go play on your console. Itís that simple. If you donít own one, then stop trying to turn your pc into one.

It's really so hard to understand that some games play better with a controller? FPS, RTS, etc play infinitely better with a keyboard and mouse, flight sims and space games play better with a joystick, and 3rd person fighting style games (batman AA/AC, darksiders, dark souls) play better with a controller.

You use the right tool for the job.

26. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 12:25 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:59:

And donít confuse yourself on joysticks and try to compare them to a controller. Joysticks had a purpose for flight Sims and Mech games. You didnít see people back in the day trying to play Quake or any other FPS game with a joystick. Thereís a big difference and the two cannot be compared.

Funny, I could make the same exact argument for Dark Souls - playing with a keyboard and mouse is clearly not how it's intended to be played. Should it have been playable that way? Absolutely. Is that the best way to play it - absolutely not.

17. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 11:44 AngelicPenguin

Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:25:
Thank god I did not listen to this community during the xmas sale on steam.

You must not have been listening too closely. No one would recommend you play this game with anything but a controller.

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage
21. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 17:14 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:56:
Yeah agreed Penguin, Skyrim is nice to look at but the combat feels absolutely antiquated when you finally play a great combat system. The weight, feedback and fluidity of the combat in the Souls games is just awesome. I loved the PvP system too, they implemented it all really well.

I still remember my first win when I was invaded. (All previous invasions at that point were painfully lopsided.) I was in Sen's Fortress and was at the furthest point I had been, so was in all new territory, then I get the dreaded "Invasion" text.

I wait around for a bit but no one comes to fight. Confused, I simply moved on. There was a point in that level where there is a long narrow bridge (the narrowest one.) The invader dropped down there from above as I was crossing it (literally for the first time.) I almost pissed myself.

I could see he was wielding a katana, which for me was lucky, as I was a dex build and couldn't deal well with big strong attacks (my poise wasn't great.) I knew my strongest attack was my pyromancy glove which I had upgraded quite a bit, but I didn't want him to know I had it.

So I ran around a bit faking with my katana out, blocking and dodging and looking for an opening to surprise him by switching to pyromany. Then he hits me with his lightning katana and almost killed me in one hit. I managed to roll around, switch to my glove and use Greater Combustion on him and almost killed HIM in one hit. He started to back away, and I managed to get him in a narrow hallway where we both attacked at almost the same time. Obviously since this my first win, you know who got the last hit.

The humanity and souls he dropped I managed to lose about two minutes later, as I said this was the furthest I had been in Sen's (that level is a bitch the first time.)

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 17:20.

19. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:52 AngelicPenguin

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:39:
Esoteric wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:17:
I think it's the best combat I've ever had in a PC game. Everything is...fair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It's a learning process.

I'd wish that more action RPGs or MMOs had a similar system of weight and balance. Especially the Elder Scrolls games. Combats always been one of their Achilles's Heel. Imagine an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Soul's weighty combat system... *drools*

I couldn't agree more. After playing Dark Souls I literally never played Skyrim again. The idea of going back to that clunky combat just didn't appeal to me.

17. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:30 AngelicPenguin

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:06:
Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

Like what sort of shortcuts and secrets?

When you get to certain points you can kick down a ladder to provide access between areas, open up a gate, stuff like that is what I'm assuming hes referring to.

The spawning system in Dark Souls makes sense, without it people would just cheese the levels. It isn't a hindrance anyway, eventually your skill at the game increases to the point where you can run the whole thing easily.

How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

That's not how the game plays in practice at all. At least that's not how I played it. You slowly work your way through areas from one bonfire to the next. When you get to the next you may or may not level up depending on how many souls you accumulated.

You mostly upgrade your items at blacksmiths or npcs, which do not respawn enemies and for the minor upgrades you do yourself, see the above method.

The only time where it ever came up was if I had managed to accumulate a lot of souls and had not reached a bonfire yet. Sometimes I had to decide to push on or teleport back to the bonfire to use them. That was pretty rare, though, as the most souls you get at once are from boss fights and after that you are almost always allowed to spend them because the next bonfire should be pretty soon.

And the whole do I push on to imminent death or race back to use my souls is part of the whole appeal of dark souls. In new areas you constantly have a feeling of doom.

16. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:14 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

I agree, I can't think of day 1 purchase more than this. Dark souls is probably my favorite game in the past 3 years.

I loved Demon Soul's but hated farming for healing items, which Dark Souls handles brilliantly.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR
21. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 19:01 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 17:16:
So, even though I used suicide topic as just an "example" and even though I said "God forbid you don't", you all still were butthurt enough about it to report me? ...

Get real.

Seems like no one can say the word "suicide" in any context without you all getting butthurt about it. "OMG, he said the S word!" "OMG, he said the R(rape) word!" ...

Cry me a river.

Turn on your curse filter, and customize it for adding the word "suicide" then.

"One day, should you decide to commit suicide--God forbid you don't"

Funny, doesn't that read as you want him to commit suicide? Wouldn't it be "God forbid you do"?

Anyway, I had to read the sentence twice to realize you weren't telling him to go kill himself.

19. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 16:49 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 16:46:
After i read a deqer post i feel obligated to play atleast an hour. Currently have a level 60 hardcore monk. I do enjoy hardcore as there is no RMAH and the AH is always in a state of flux with chars dieing and needing new items.

Ya, after reading it, I sort of felt like buying some expensive items on the RMAH.

13. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 15:04 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 14:36:
Cram wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 13:36:
I'm hoping a year or so down the road and maybe there's a lull in games to play, that Diablo itch comes back and I end up surprised at the improvements made over time.

Why would you support a company that shoves always-online down your throat for a single-player game? Even if the game became free, you shouldn't support a company that does this. You need to open your eyes a little wider.

See my post above.

8. Re: Diablo III 1.0.8 on PTR Apr 9, 2013, 13:07 AngelicPenguin

flechett3 wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 12:59:
Things that should have been in the game since day 1!

That horse you are beating is long dead.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2013, 15:05.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
56. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 15:00 AngelicPenguin

SirKnight wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:40:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:17:
Carmack made a big error with the megatextures stuff!

No it wasn't Carmack's fault at all (unfortunately so many do not understand how the tech works and why it's needed at all). It's how id (the artists) used it. Virtual Texturing (megatextures) is a great technology in many ways and is the future of texturing, but if not used right it will look bad.

The way id used it was to have unique texturing everywhere, instead of having repeated textures like in the past. But because of the storage limits of the consoles, this unique-ness sacrificed texture quality. One of the biggest benefits of virtual texturing is to have texture detail you could not physically have otherwise due to hardware texture size limits (which is about to change with future GPUs). id chose the other path, which resulted in blurry textures since their large textures had to stretch over a whole world to get the unique texturing they seem to have wanted.

Ya, I thought the idea seemed really neat, but I guess in practice it didn't work out. Didn't they also have something where it would auto adjust the quality so the game kept a constant 60 fps? I thought that sounded awesome, but I dunno how it turned out, since I never played Rage because the reviews were mixed. I have played all their other games and personally my favorites are Doom 2 and the original Quake, so I guess it has been a while since they did something really great for me.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
54. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 14:47 AngelicPenguin

vrok wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 08:09:
netnerd85 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:48:
Wesp5 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:11:
In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and with it's quest structure it is closer to games like Skyrim than anything id had done before. Sadly the megatextures made too many problems on low end systems while at the same time killing off possible mods, but with the right system RAGE looks absolutely beautiful and the characters are the best since Bloodlines, which includes everything RPG from Bethesda!
Could not agree more. RAGE is a masterpiece, the gunplay is second to none. The characters are so under rated.
Brilliant sarcasm. *applause*

Seriously, how much money did you guys get for writing these comments? Where do I apply for a job?

You guys always show up. What difference does it make to you if they enjoyed Rage? They are certainly just an entitled to share their opinion as you are. If someone likes a game you don't, it doesn't mean they are a corporate shill it means they <gasp> have a different opinion.

News Comments > Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released
22. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 11:04 AngelicPenguin

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:45:
I'd like to see a developer create a Jango/Boba Fett Bounty Hunter type game in the same vein as Jedi Outcast/Academy. You get bounties to take out good or bad targets and go through a story. Surprised that has never come around.

Boba Fett sure, but who is this "Jango" you speak of? (sarcasm.)

287 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo