Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 292 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator
128. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 AngelicPenguin

ASeven wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 11:59:
in other news, perhaps the first honest review of D3.

The Good:
- Excellent transition to character meshes from sprites
- Masterfully done visuals
- Gorgeous soundtrack
- Top flight voice cast delivering excellent performances

The Bad:
- Always-on connection is always bad
- Distinctly dumbed down character system
- Lack of visual character customization is a shortcoming
- Tremendously vulnerable to external Internet instability
- "Play it how we tell you to play it" is precisely as much fun as it sounds

Score: 4.5 / 10

I dunno, I read that review. The reviewer never figured out to turn on elective mode, so he could play a build he wanted to. I do get that it isn't the most obvious option, but I would find the skill system very limiting without it too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

127. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 AngelicPenguin

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:14:
"No one is having any issues" is a hilarious thing to say in regards to Diablo 3.

Well, again, I was referring to my group of friends who play the game, not everyone. You are taking that quote out of context. I do stand by it, though. None of them have been hacked, and as I said earlier, I expect maintenance and some lag occasionally in an online game.

If you can give me some issues that would amount to "mountains of bullshit" (not your words I know, but that was the quote I responded to that started this discussion) I could specifically ask them if they have this issue(s). I suppose they could be but are just not saying anything about it, but if you knew some of them, they will complain about anything.

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:14:
liking the game is a very popular stance

I'll just have to agree to disagree. If you go into the comments on any diablo 3 posting there are usually a few people who say positive things about it, but the majority of the posts are very negative, so it certainly does not seem a popular stance to me.

I guess that's just how forums are, though. Most people seem to go to them to complain. I get it though, it's human nature. If you say you like something it opens you up to ridicule, while when you are trashing something you are doing the ridiculing (if that's even a word.)

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Design Document
11. Re: Wasteland 2 Design Document Jun 12, 2012, 14:29 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:31:
An example from the doc:

[RPG: RPGs havenít kept pace with time...

Nice - any mention of blood sausages?

122. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 14:10 AngelicPenguin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 13:46:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:53:
Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:33:
and are going to add lots of interesting affixes to make items more fun.]

Hmm, where did they post this?

I read it on the discussion on reddit with Jay and some of the other designers/developers earlier this week. I would hate to misquote someone but I am almost positive they said they would have some cool affixes that no other items have to make them more legendary.
Only fixing legendary items doesn't sound like it will fix the fundamental problem of 99.9999% of loot being boring. Legendaries are so rare that changing those alone will have very little impact on the fun factor.

This was under the discussion about making legendary items cooler. I'm pretty sure there was more discussion about non-legendary items as well.

120. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:33:
and are going to add lots of interesting affixes to make items more fun.]

Hmm, where did they post this?

I read it on the discussion on reddit with Jay and some of the other designers/developers earlier this week. I would hate to misquote someone but I am almost positive they said they would have some cool affixes that no other items have to make them more legendary.

118. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:07:
But don't you think it's in their self interest to make the game enjoyable long term?

No idea where you inferred that as I didn't say it. .

Oh I wasn't implying you said that - probably a poor way to phrase it. I was simply meaning that, while there are lots of issues that you pointed out, it seems to me that if the game isn't made fun (items/inferno) then people won't keep coming back to it.

I mean they have already stated that they are adjusting the inferno difficulty curve, are going to look at some of the nastier monster combinations, and are going to add lots of interesting affixes to make items more fun. (In addition to making legendaries stronger than most blues/yellows.)

116. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:37:
The thing is that if the loot tables were a bit more interesting I don't think people would be so impatient. You found tons of interesting items all the time in Diablo 2, everything from uniques to low level set items and so on. They really failed in that regard with this game, the heavy focus on main stat/vit is incredibly boring and the lack of unique loot makes everything feel homogenous. The gameplay is solid but not so amazing that it can stand on its own without diverse loot tables.

So I mean while I see where the "JUST HAVE FUN AND CHILLAX" crowd is coming from, people obviously want different things from the game and D3 doesn't cater to those interests as well as its predecessor did.

But don't you think it's in their self interest to make the game enjoyable long term? From reading interviews with the creators if you read between the lines it sounds like they were so concerned with balance they missed the fun part of the items. Now that they are aware of it, I don't see why they wouldn't go in and do it.

How long that takes, I'm not sure, but I am sure of this - they are going to make it (more) fun because that will make them more money, which is fine by me.

114. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 11:09 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:05:
The game isn't really difficult at all until Inferno IMO, I can't even recall dying unless server lag was involved until I hit Inferno. So I mean in that sense you're right, you don't need the AH...until Inferno. Inferno Act 1 is a whole different thing from Act 2 beyond though, you need the AH to gear up for the latter because the drops simply don't happen in Act 1. The only way I geared up for the later acts of Inferno was abusing resplendent chest spawns and treasure goblins, I was lucky because I got it done before they got hotfixed. Now gearing up for that content involves a significant amount of gold which keeps increasing daily due to botter gold flooding the economy.

Melee classes have it a lot worse than ranged in this regard, ranged can get away with having a good weapon but melee need a shitload of armor, all resist, vit and main stat gear. My buddy is a Barb who practically melts when anything touches him in Inferno Act 2 despite spending over a mil in AH gear.

These are things they've admitted already are problems and are looking into addressing but in the meantime that's not much of a consolation to people trying to do this content.

I have read this and experienced some of this as well. This is why I simply started new characters when I hit inferno after dabbling in it for a bit. I figured balancing the end game would take some time, so no reason to really worry much about it yet.

112. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 10:50 AngelicPenguin

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 03:13:
You don't play much (or you don't play at varied times) if launch day is the the only time you've had issues. Also, I'm guessing you and none of your friends play hardcore, there was that massive blizzard caused lag spike the other day that basically perma killed everyone playing hardcore at the time.

Not only that, they've had issues with the game being down for maintenance for nearly a whole day, and thats after launch. That prevents me from playing "single player" which isn't fun. Today they just announced a 3 hour down time for the game. If its anything like past announcements it will end up being 5 or 8 hours.

Also, the commodities part of AH was down for a couple weeks, which hinders things like getting good gems for socketed gear. I've seen other issues too (and not on launch day), and I don't have nearly as much time in the game as some people. The full game functionality hasn't been enabled (and I won't count the RMAH since they announced before game's release it wouldn't be enabled for a while) for probably 50% of the game's life. A 50% full functionality uptime is pretty horrible.

I play a lot actually (monk and wizard in inferno, and demon hunter in hell.) I have not used the AH, though, as I don't see how it could possibly be balanced this early in the game and it seemed like massive twinking. The game isn't THAT hard until inferno anyway.

111. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 AngelicPenguin

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:42:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:31:
You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues.

You sound like Baghdad Bob or Officer Barbrady saying this stuff on posts talking about issues.

Many of the people who post here have the game, and just about all of us know many friends who do as well. My friends have been hacked, have dealt with lag, and have experienced the poor inferno balancing. It's hard to believe that nobody in your circle of gaming friends have had "any issues".

Which "posts"? I responded directly to someone who responded to my post. He complained in vague terms and I responded everything is ok here and asked for more specifics.

I don't know who those people (Bob or Barbrady, although I assume it's something derogatory) are, but I am genuinely speaking from experience. I have multiple characters in inferno, have never used the AH, and have a group of friends who play a lot. The only "issue" we've had is when the game is down for maintenance other than launch day. But I bought an online game, so I was expecting the servers to be taken down periodically.

I do get that liking this game is an unpopular stance, so I should probably just keep quiet.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2012, 11:07.

104. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 00:31 AngelicPenguin

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 19:24:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 17:51:
It's a popular game, and I know it's fun to dump on - carry on!
Who's dumping on it? It just seems to me like a lot of inconvenience for "just a little hack and slash game", when there are ways to both hack and slash without it. And I get that it's been fine for you*, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people have had to sift through a lot of crap to get to the game underneath. Enjoyable though it may be.

Oh and just fyi, my opinion of the game has nothing to do with impressing any kids, cool or otherwise. In fact, if I were caught hanging out with the cool kids, I'd likely end up on the sex offenders register, large bearded adult that I am. So if you can leave out the tired cliches next time, that'd be grand.

*using your personal definition of the word "issue".

I wasn't referring to you specifically - I simply meant it is obviously an easy target because it generates a lot of interest, so it appears people like to pile on and make fun. I'm not sure what cliche that is, but ok, I won't use that one anymore.

And the fun little hack 'n slash was really my point. Other than launch day, I don't know what sort of inconveniences you are talking about. I come home, click play game, and kill stuff for a while.

You mentioned "mountains of bullshit", "a lot of inconvenience", "a lot of crap" which I just don't see and virtually every one of my gaming friends is playing this game and no one is having any issues. Maybe some specifics would help, I dunno.

88. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 17:51 AngelicPenguin

everyone wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:46:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 15:14:
So serious - it's just a little hack 'n slash game.
Which makes putting up with the mountains of bullshit all the more ridiculous.

The only issue I've had in my 100 hours+ was not being able to log in on launch day for a few hours. I just play and enjoy the game and sometimes at work read some comments on news sites for amusement (or in Verno's case, some useful information.)

It's a popular game, and I know it's fun to dump on - carry on!

55. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 15:18 AngelicPenguin

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 15:12:
I know what you mean Creston and I feel as though it would be a fairly dangerous precedence to revive a HC character for those who have died to issues outside of their control.

On the other hand, it is a risk and most of us may not even make it through Act 1 Normal without keeping the floor boss at bay; however, it feels like a giant cop out at the same time when you can be an incredibly skilled player and die due to server-side collision issues that may be nearly impossible to be aware of until it's too late.

Without knowing how long or even whether or not this will be fixed in the future is simply up in the air and it becomes much worse when Blizzard is making little to no noise in regards to these issues and only addressing them if a certain number of complaints are made. If this is working as intended with their server-side infrastructure and little to no change is made, well, that's just bad news bears for those who stay for Hardcore.

I think until these sorts of issues get ironed out, I would just play a regular character as if they were hard-core. It's like any rogue-like. You can backup your saves if you really want to, but you are only cheating yourself.
I get you would lose some of those perks like the notice of how far you have gotten a hard-core character, but I think I would take that over losing 50+ hours.

54. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 15:14 AngelicPenguin

Luke wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 14:57:
ASeven wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 12:06:
But...but... being always online meant no item duping and bots!!!!11!!!

Yeah, in the end the excuses they made to put this game online always ended up happening anyway.

In another topic, master fanboi Krovven once again shows why he's quite the idiot.

Hmm i wonder who is the idiot , those who play this money train , or those who may see what they are doing.
Next up fingerprint gadget to identify that the Authenticator is yours.
You fanbois keep eating every bit THEY come with
thats one hell of a price to play a singelplayer game , and the more you fanbois (fanboys) keep saying "Okaaay " the more will come and other compagnies will dupe it and...ahh forget it blizz my ass they laugh even harder now at you fanibois Wall2

So serious - it's just a little hack 'n slash game.

3. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 11:23 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 11:14:
changing the terms whenever they want, for any reason or no reason, whether you like it or not.

have fun, players.

Wait - do you NOT like diablo 3 and/or blizzard? I wasn't sure...

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
19. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 11:33 AngelicPenguin

briktal wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 09:49:
panbient wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 06:31:
The Pyro wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:46:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:36:
No mention of interface changes yet?

For a game that's been in development for more than a decade I would certainly hope the interface was ironed out by now.

You would think so but how hard would it have been to implement a 2nd loadout for skills and weapons (kind of exactly like how you could have 2 weapon sets equipped in Diablo 2...)

Or maybe making potions auto-pick up.

Or better yet... how about making the Gems and Crafting Pages any other colour besides white when they drop.

Or maybe an option to not even display loot below a certain level. I think it gets kind of annoying to have to dump out white and grey loot I accidentally picked up while trying to collect gems and potions.

Nothing of what I just suggested is overly complicated nor hasn't already been done in either Diablo 2 or any of its derivatives.

From the AMA they did on reddit yesterday, they are planning on making potions/gems/pages a different color and also looking at adding options to filter out white/grey items.

I think the alt weapons/skills was intentional, so you couldn't abuse the flexibility in the skills system.
The potion change would be nice except you'd need a way to filter out lower level potions. I'd rather manually pick up the good potions, then be forced to dump the bad ones.
Gems I agree with - they are easy to miss.
The white drops I think Jay Wilson said in an interview that they thought about it, but really liked the idea of killing monsters and having a jackpot of items drop. If it was only blue or better, you'd lose a lot of that feeling. I suppose they could just add an option so that you cannot pick them up, but they could still drop.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
18. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 11:28 AngelicPenguin

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:36:
No mention of interface changes yet?

They mentioned the interface was not modular, so it wasn't something they could do easily.

Too bad - I'd like to run it on three screens, but having the interface and minimap on the right screen makes it pretty unusable. I play with a buddy who runs three and I have to be the "map guy."

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
18. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 7, 2012, 11:02 AngelicPenguin

Too late guys, I already pre-ordered the diamond chisel. Better luck next time, suckers!  

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: You're wrong and an idiot. Jun 4, 2012, 01:09 AngelicPenguin

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 19:35:
winning on the internet is like winning the special olympics

His post was less hateful than yours. I know this is a commonly used joke, but it wasn't funny the first time.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
35. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 14:34 AngelicPenguin

DG wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:59:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 13:36:
So the auction house allows you to buy items in game? For what purpose? So that you can skip finding those items yourself?

I've never played any of the Diablo titles (or any MMO). But this mechanic sounds strange. Would I play Jagged Alliance and go online and purchase the best weapon right at the start of the game?
Yep. Though, gear is levelled so you can only really equip the best gear for your level.

But, at least on the lower levels it totally voids all the in-game gear. Even the best stuff I get dropped is several levels behind me so I'm dumping it on the AH and buy my own gear.

Of course everyone else is doing the same thing so at lower levels the market is flooded. Gear that people pick up is useless to them so they're picking up 10+ items to dump it on the AH for every one thing they buy.

Blizz presumably balanced the game assuming people would have maybe one or two levelled items but due to AH being so cheap everything is levelled rare gear with the desired attributes.

I doesn't help that normal is easy anyway. Despite buying stuff pretty cheap I'm ridiculously overpowered, just tanking bossfights. It got really silly when I hit the level where you get sockets in items to put gems in, because of course both gems and socketed gear are very cheap on the AH so I'm running around with multiple +40 strength or whatever when they were assuming I'd have maybe one or two +4.

To be fair the main balance considerations should rightly be the harder difficulties, but a lot of people (probably me included) will only play this game through once and you don't get to play harder settings until you beat normal.

I just didn't use the auction house in normal - was more fun that way.

292 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo