Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 327 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably)
6. Re: Diablo III Season 1 Ends Next Week (Probably) Jan 28, 2015, 13:40 AngelicPenguin

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 09:50:
And the winner is?? Oh right there is no clear way to see that because, we removed any fucking logic to D3 and the battle.net 2.0.0.0.0. experience. Enjoy playing your single player game online.

I keep trying to figure out why there are three other guys in my single player game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
2. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 16, 2015, 18:53 AngelicPenguin

I didn't play GTA4 on PC, but wasn't it mostly a train wreck? I never preorder games, but I'd be pretty leery on this one given the history.  

News Comments > Activision's Successful 2014
4. Re: Activision's Successful 2014 Jan 16, 2015, 18:32 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 11:15:
Ahh sell-through, the bullshit marketing speak they use when they won't talk actual sales numbers. It beat GTA5's 44 million sales so far? I seriously doubt that. Forbes calls them on their bullshit.

Activision Smokescreens 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' Sales, Continuing A Trend

And how is Destiny the new #1 new IP when by all accounts it's a big money loser?

Unless I misread it, all the Forbes article said was that they didn't release hard numbers simply because it's quite probable that the current game sold less than some of their older titles, so they don't want to look like it's on the decline. Stating that it was the biggest selling entertainment product of the year pretty clearly says that it beat out GTA5. I don't really see that as surprising.

I honestly don't even get the big conspiracy slant to that Forbes article. What company would release what they want to be positive press with things that aren't positive? Again, big deal...sheesh.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 15:14 AngelicPenguin

I guess I just don't get Wes Anderson. I watched Grand Budapest Hotel after the huge endorsements from friends (and critics raving), and thought it was just mildly amusing.

All the characters seem like caricatures and so I don't really buy into the story (same with Royal Tenenbaums.) It certainly looked nice, the cast was superb, and it had some really funny moments, but there is a certain level of detachment that kept me from really getting sucked into it.

Probably just a case of watching with high expectations. Funny how that fits in with other comments about Avatar. I saw it long after every I know had. So it had past the "greatest thing ever" phase and fallen into the "looks great, very average story" phase. So I went in expecting just that, and wasn't disappointed.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity in March
11. Re: Pillars of Eternity in March Jan 14, 2015, 14:37 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 12:43:
I think it's a little more acceptable delaying a new game rather than a port of a title which has launched on a half dozen consoles.

I don't really see why it matters. If a game needs more time, it needs more time. Take whatever time it needs to get it right.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB
27. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 7, 2015, 15:35 AngelicPenguin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 15:30:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 15:19:
It's a decent amount of effort CASH to replace mobo/cpu/ram, so I really like to feel like I'm going to see some results for doing so.
Fixed that for you.
I love to tinker with my PC so rebuilding it never an effort but a new mobo and cpu is nearly $500 and I don't think that much money will make a huge real world difference in games at 1080p

Replacing my GTX760 to the 970 for less money will probably make a much more noticeable difference for less money.

Ya, I don't really mind doing it, but for several hours time, I want to make sure I'm going to actually notice something more than my BIOS looking different. $500 every couple years doesn't seem like anything to really worry about, though.

Btw, here are some gaming benchmarks with Sandybridge, Ivybridge, and Haswell:
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1185&page=12

I'd need much more than 6 or 7% to replace 3 completely stable parts of my system.

25. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 7, 2015, 15:19 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:53:
harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 14:47:
thats what ive got and i see plenty of reasons, even gaming at 720p ... i recently got a gtx 970, and even that couldnt really get it over the fundamental hump - its a pcie 2.0 cpu but the card is pcie 3.0

gotta have rock solid 80+ fps, with all effects and bells and whistles - and its just not happening on that generation

I don't know, the real world gaming performance delta between the two seems to be almost non-existent. Granted the article is a year old but I'm not sure much has changed since then in this regard. I'm more worried about getting extra USB 3.0 slots (these old boards only have like 2) than I am about bandwidth limitations from the PCIE bus. I've got a 970GTX and I certainly don't have any issues in anything but unoptimized games.

I'm sure I will upgrade this at some point but I still don't see anything compelling yet. If you have some other benches feel free to shoot em out though, I love to tinker and I'm looking for ammo.

Ya every bench I see always lowers the graphical settings and resolutions to show cpu differences but when they are jacked up to what your video card can handle, the differences are negligible. I have something similar to yours (980 w/ an i7 Sandybridge) and don't see any reason to replace anything else at the moment. It's a decent amount of effort to replace mobo/cpu/ram, so I really like to feel like I'm going to see some results for doing so.

15. Re: The Witcher 3 Specs; Requires 6GB Jan 7, 2015, 13:33 AngelicPenguin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 11:57:
harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 11:50:
probably continues the tradition of "minimum" specs being the ones that allow you to run the game, not actually play it in any acceptable way
I think Witcher2 was a dog on the PCs when it first came out too.
I don't think even if you have the top specs this game will run well on release.

The game ran fine on release, you just couldn't enable "ubersampling" which was super sampling (on my 980 it still runs around 40-50 with that setting on to this day.)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 01:20 AngelicPenguin

PropheT wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 22:29:
#11 should be a comic about that annoying type of person that thinks all of the arguments they disagree with on complex issues can be summed up and dismissed in a few comic panels.

Funny, I was thinking that exact thing. Well said.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
29. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 01:19 AngelicPenguin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 00:22:
Hump wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 20:43:
Nothing wrong with Roberts, he does what he's always done.

Its the fans unending optimism and seemingly bottomless cash reserves thats the concern......

Hey, those people are paying for our game. Better them than me.

Exactly. Rich nerds, please continue to fund what looks like an interesting game and if Mr. Roberts could just drop me an email when it's about in the Elite Dangerous state, I'll pick it up.

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 15:00 AngelicPenguin

Wow, looks like a really nice game. Only thing holding me back is that I really wanted to play it with a flight stick and haven't done any research on that (that and it will end up adding a lot of cost to this game.)

The mouse controls sound pretty solid, but everyone says not to (I really like X3 with a mouse, though.)

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
83. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 15:02 AngelicPenguin

As others have said, I'm not sure why Valve would get flack for pulling the game, or putting it back on. It's their service, they can list whatever games they want.

They could have a page for violent mass murder simulators, and list Postal, and choose not to list Hatred. Their service - they don't have to be transparent about any of it. It's nice that they are, though.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Suspended
27. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Suspended Dec 12, 2014, 17:46 AngelicPenguin

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:27:
BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck you and your monetization schemes, Valve. Serves you fuckers right.

I have a feeling at the Parker house, you yell at kids whose costume isn't up to snuff on Halloween.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
25. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 10, 2014, 13:03 AngelicPenguin

Prez wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 12:14:
Comments like "Only pussies want to play games without dying 5 times a minute! REAL gamers want So-Crucifyingly-Hard-It-Would-Make-A-Grown-Man-Cry difficulty!!" used to piss me off because of their obnoxious elitism, now they just make me chuckle and roll my eyes at the self-important ignorance.

While I wouldn't call people who don't like difficult games "not real gamers", as a fan of difficult games, I really am happy games like Dark Souls, Meatboy (and perhaps this new nightmare mode of Alien), etc are more common nowadays. There was a real lull there.

And also as someone who did play and complete Shadow of the Beast 1 and 2 on my Amiga 500, I found his comment pretty funny actually. I mean come on, he was clearly making a joke. If you got pissed off at that sort of thing, or even eye roll, you are reading too much into it.

FYI, though, Psygnosis just published those insanely hard games, but they published plenty of easy stuff too. It was Reflections that actually MADE them.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $65M
44. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Dec 1, 2014, 14:16 AngelicPenguin

InBlack wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 09:01:

But 2000+$ space ships for a game thats not even close to release? Thats seriously fucked up, by any definition of the phrase.

I'm sure you are aware of this, but some people are very very wealthy and $2000 to them is probably like $20 to you and I. I wouldn't get bent out of shape on what those people spend their money on any more than I'm sure the idea of spending $60 on a game is a fairy tale to someone in an impoverished country.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
133. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:55 AngelicPenguin

Ya, I think they should offer a partial refund equaling the same amount the pre-order people would get, just as courtesy to those who originally backed them.

Would some folks who didn't like the game or just got bored with it or whatever, get the partial refund when they are in fact not bothered by no offline mode? I'm sure, but I think that's probably the best PR move at this point.

I can certainly see why you wouldn't want to fully refund folks who paid the higher kickstarter amounts simply because so many folks would/could abuse that and just get the game at the cheaper release price and have had the ability to play in the alphas/betas.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
287. Re: Into the Black Nov 18, 2014, 12:18 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:09:
jesus christ. it HAS singleplayer! nothing has changed!

I think most folks who are upset are upset because a promised feature was removed. You seem to be getting bogged down in whether or not that feature has any merit.

Replace "Offline Mode" with Mario Kart ships. A bunch of people got excited and kickstarted Elite Dangerous because they wanted to fly Mario Kart ships. At the last minute, the Mario Kart ships were dropped, so folks who kickstarted and really liked that feature are unhappy. I don't really see what's wrong with voicing that you are unhappy that you can't fly as Princess Peach.

224. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 13:07 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:06:
you have no idea that having to be online will require constant bandwidth saturation, and that any lost packet will mean being disconnected from your solo game. this is all hearsay.

The thing is, you don't know the opposite.

But more so, the bigger issue I think for most folks with stable internet connections will be how well the SERVER holds up? I'm sure you can make a guess that the day the game launches, they will most likely be hit very hard and would it surprise you that the game might be almost unplayable? If Blizzard can't manage to pull off game launches, I'd be very concerned about a much smaller company (granted the number of units sold of ED will not compare to any of blizzard's titles.)

Now if you purchased the game (or kickstarted or pre-ordered or whatever) with the complete expectation that you were playing an MMO style online only game, then you probably also are ready to deal with all the server related issues.

But there are those who put money in knowing there would be offline mode and having to deal with server issues would be a non-issue. For them, it's now an issue. I think you have a right to be concerned if you are this type of user and if a game server going down really bothers you, you should have a right to get a refund on it if you promised that wouldn't be an issue.

All that said, I don't even care about games have an always online mode. I mostly play D3 which is the epitome of always online. But I can totally see how someone promised on offline mode would be perturbed that it got dropped at the last moment.

I will say, though, that I don't think it's a grand conspiracy. I'm sure they planned on trying to retro-fit some offline mode, but saw that it was too large an effort to hit their deadline. Perhaps with enough complaints they can put that in post-launch.

222. Re: Into the Black Nov 17, 2014, 12:56 AngelicPenguin

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:06:
you'll never hear the kind of outrage you see here about a blizzard game, or a valve game. they're untouchable, and it's interesting to note.

Never read any D3 threads I guess.

News Comments > Diablo III Bonus Weekend
4. Re: Diablo III Bonus Weekend Oct 30, 2014, 22:10 AngelicPenguin

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:37:
You know what this game didn't need? Kadala and buffs on top of buffs on top of buffs to legendary items.

It took me about two weeks of modest grinding to deck out my Crusader, Witch Doctor, Monk, and Demon Hunter with their respective OP sets (Sunwuko 4pc, M6 etc...) and that pretty much drained my interest in progressing further and this is from ladder play where you start from scratch. Longevity in this game is now a joke when they decided to cater towards 'give me a lot of everything, now!' players.

The only time I ever thought I was anywhere near completing my character in, say, Path of Exile was when I Chanced a Bringer of Rain on my Dual Claw Shadow in his late 70s a few seasons back.

The 6 piece sets aren't supposed to be hard to complete. The drop rate for the set items are very high. The idea is you can get the set to play the build, but to play it in the big leagues you generally need a very rare item that can take a seriously long time to acquire - Starmetal Kukri and Tasker and Theos for Witch Doctor, Tasker and Theos for Demon Hunter, Furnace for Wizard, etc.

327 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo