Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 284 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 14:32 AngelicPenguin

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:36:
Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC

I thought Batman's played great with a k/m. I bet faster then a controller.

I played Batman AA with keyboard/mouse, but for a goof tried AC with an xbox controller - I thought the controller was better honestly, and I play pretty much everything with keyboard. It was just far easier to do the combat, imho.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics
40. Re: Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics Dec 18, 2012, 11:05 AngelicPenguin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 22:14:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 21:36:
People say it was unoptimized as if they've cracked open the source code and taken a look - the amount of shader effects in that game is incredible. The only PC game I've seen to date to match it visually is Witcher 2.

It was simply future proofed - people complained that they couldn't run it on its highest setting, and upon release you were not supposed to be able to.
No, it wasn't future-proofed. If it was then hardware released five years after the game should have been able to run it pretty well, yet I still get framerate drops. Also, there isn't much point developing a game that can only be run at maximum settings years after release - most people play a game and then move on. Genres move on so quickly and there are very few games that I enjoy going back to and replaying.

Games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament really pushed the graphic envelope and advanced the genre, yet they didn't collapse systems - and they scaled well to future hardware.

As for visuals, I disagree. I was never impressed by the graphics in Crysis, even though the engine was very advanced at a technical level. The Witcher 2 certainly had great visuals, especially for a DX9 game. For PC visuals there are lots to choose from: Alan Wake, Far Cry 3, Far Cry 2, Batman: Arkham City, Dishonored, Crysis 2, Metro 2033, Black Mesa and even Trine 2. I'm not saying any of those games are necessarily better at a technical level (nor are the screenshots I picked always the best representation of the visuals), just that I prefer the visuals.

Check the visuals out comparing Crysis (a 2006 game) to Far Cry 3, which is one of the nicest looking games released this year and pushes hardware pretty much the most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ohqbEn1v8

Hardware in 2006 was not at a point yet to play the game looking like that. They had multiple presets to deal with this. Medium looked like Far Cry and still looked great, high was the best you could play upon release with very high end hardware, and very high at playable framerates came a few years later.

Crytek got a lot of flack for that, though, so I doubt they will release a game again that's highest setting is not playable upon release.

I still completely believe the intent was that you could play the game with later hardware. It made sure Crysis showed up in most video card reviews for 5 years. I think this was intentional.

News Comments > Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics
33. Re: Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics Dec 15, 2012, 21:36 AngelicPenguin

Everybody has opinions, mine is that Crysis is one of my favorite shooters ever. Crysis 2? Not so much. It was far too claustrophobic for me. Also the AI in 2 seemed much worse, but it could be that the AI in Crysis spoke Korean, so it was harder to notice the stupid things they were doing.

People say it was unoptimized as if they've cracked open the source code and taken a look - the amount of shader effects in that game is incredible. The only PC game I've seen to date to match it visually is Witcher 2.

It was simply future proofed - people complained that they couldn't run it on its highest setting, and upon release you were not supposed to be able to.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:36 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:32:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:20:
I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

I get a lot of drops, it's just that 99.9% are shit to the point where you tune out drops themselves. I don't care about finding one selling for hundreds of millions, I'm trying to obtain gear for my character to use which should not be a rare thing to find. They didn't strike a good balance between gear quality and drop rate.

Ya, I wasn't arguing about that, I was commenting on "one legendary in a week for 3 people." Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:20 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:27:
I've been revisiting Diablo 3 over the past few weeks, they did a lot to fix up the games issues in terms of balance and design but forgot about loot *again*.

Yellow is the new blue. You find so many yellows that you stop identifying them until you get back into town. Same problems as launch, useful drops are so rare that you end up on the AH to get stuff. I played pretty hardcore for a few weeks with 3 buddies, between the lot of us we had one shitty legendary with horrible stats roll and a bunch of marginal yellow upgrades.

How they continue to fuck this up is beyond me. Make the game like Torchlight 2, I was drowning in awesome loot and the choices were often difficult. Rather than vendoring shit I actually filled up my stash, finding many items that would be useful for different classes and builds. Compelling choices, not waiting a year to find a diamond in a mountain of horseshit.

Monster Power kinda sucks BTW, the increase in drop percentages and loot quality often isn't worth the increasing run times. The games loot system revolves around their revenue stream more than it does gameplay enjoyment.

Anyways still really flawed and frustrating. It sucks because the gameplay and balance is hugely improved but the loot system is just inherently fucked. Enjoy finding the only legendary you might all week and having it be some shitty Wizard item with a strength roll.

I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
21. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 17:47 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:52:
BobBob wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:29:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 13:35:
Just out of spite for deqer i gave d3 another shot, 1.05 has turned out pretty good. I'm enjoying it.

Please delete your BluesNews account.

You first. Atleast i'm not some jaded internet kid and actually give new patches a try in games.

Don't fight the angst.

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
11. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:10 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 11:17:
Have fun playing your single player game online, being tracked and owned by the company.

There are ways to have fun online with people, and this isn't one of them.

All we have here is a King Kong company who took their best franchise and used it on all of you people as a way to shove DRM/ownage down your throats, and you all bought it.

Hopefully most of you learned from this and you won't buy into this type of thing again.

You must be the life of the party.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in Spring
47. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in Spring Oct 31, 2012, 12:05 AngelicPenguin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 11:55:
InBlack wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 08:07:
Sempai wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:55:
And of course no PC from these douche bags.

Fuck you Rockstar, just..fuck you.

One of the reasons why I dont support them anymore, they released GTA4 on the PC like a whole fucking year after it appeared on the consoles. Needless to say I didnt buy it, they can go fuck themselves for all I care.

I wont even mention the fact that RDR was NEVER ported to the PC. Dont support those pricks, dont buy their games.

Wow. Calm down.

I will buy it for console and PC.
A lot around here say SA was the best version, and it looks like this will be an upgrade to that. I am a gamer, I have most systems released and buy great games for all systems. You will be missing out.

No...just no!
My system good - other systems bad.
Anyone who doesn't make games for my system is evil. You know who else didn't make games for PC? Hitler

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
14. Re: Diablo III Patched Oct 17, 2012, 11:57 AngelicPenguin

1AngryGamer wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 10:52:
Armengar wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 06:15:
Well I think im still the only person having fun. You see, I like "the patrician" type games and I see D3 as being a hack n slash with a trading meta game included.

I love the D3UP.com website, If im on the AH then I have that site in my second monitor and D3 on windowed in my primary.

I might be niche but I still like D3. Finally completed it with my WD the other day, spent about 5M all in so not exactly a powerhouse build. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/KK20-2930/hero/11514245

overall I like the new patch. keep it coming!

Spoken Like a true WoW Raider. In a game as lame as World of Warcraft number crunching and standing around on Panda Raids watching numbers float over people's heads is all there is to do. It is good to see that other Blizzard titles can pass on the legacy

Living up to your name.

News Comments > Diablo III Monster Power Detailed
22. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 12, 2012, 17:40 AngelicPenguin

Great monster power discussion going on.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming
42. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 17:01 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 16:16:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Descender-1363/hero/16469414

I guess calling my monk a "self founder" is a bit of a stretch. I mostly geared him with stuff I found while playing my WD. My WD has some GAH items (the legendary neck i found though) from before the 1.0.4 patch, because the class was just very broken. I just got my monk physically into inferno the other day, and his gear has been... waiting for him

Before you ask... I've been collecting cold resist gear for use with the one with everything passive... and crit chance gear basically. I use deadly reach/scattered blows because teleporting all over the place with thunderclap gives me a headache. He's going to need another upgrade or 2 before he "walks right into act 2" solo... but I rarely play by myself anyway, and post 1.0.4 that makes everything insanely easier.

I found about 1000 life on hit makes act 2 pretty easy for a monk (you'll note my off hand is pretty lousy but has a really nice life on hit boost.)

Cyclone strike - nice. That's easily my favorite monk skill. I run that when I game with friends (which is usually.) Demon hunters and witch doctors love me for it. Although I run the rune that let's me spam it.

36. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 16:19 AngelicPenguin

Undocumented Alien wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 16:10:
If you farmed late game inferno

FAIL! You have to farm late game inferno to get good stuff in D3. Anytime a game makes me FARM for "interesting" loot it will be shelved relatively quick.

Your honor, I rest my case.

Pretty sure he said you farm late inferno to get upgrades, not "interesting" loot. The really interesting stuff are the new legendaries, and the lower level ones drop quite a bit now actually.
(They increased the drop rate for lower level legendaries significantly.)

30. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 15:59 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:50:
My inferno level monk is entirely geared with stuff I found on my own, mostly while playing my WD.

Got a profile link? My main character is a monk myself, so just curious to see another self founder's gear.

Here's mine btw: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GunnersDream-1109/hero/4018642

I can run act 2 pretty easy with that gear for my monk, so I swapped out a nice damage boost, all resist, spirit regen legendary helmet that I was using while I was initially struggling. (And yes, the legendary was self found too.)

27. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 15:48 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 15:08:
It irritates me that people can't get their head around the fact that you don't have to touch the auction house (real money or gold) to play diablo 3.

If you DO touch it, that means you are changing the bell curve for your equipment upgrades, and basically removing thejoy of finding any upgrades from the realm of possibility.

Yup, two characters restarted with no auction house whatsoever and I currently have them both in act 2 inferno. I probably find one upgrade every few hours still. (3 legendaries since 1.04.)

If you want the best you can get in the shortest amount of time, use the AH. If you enjoy finding your own upgrades, don't (some of my friend's refer to me as "Amish" for not using the AH.)

News Comments > Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report
29. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 14:44 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:14:

It's equally amazing to me how companies with zero project management, Valve and Blizzard for example stay in business.

Would you really want a valve product on based on some managers dictated timeframe?

Hell, Blizzard can't get it right half the time even when they do take forever...

I know, working in the software industry and hearing someone refer to project managers in a positive light is amusing.

News Comments > Morning Previews
17. Re: Morning Previews Sep 19, 2012, 16:59 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 16:03:
You D3 people... I feel sorry for you.

Have fun being controlled:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6573698478

and never to play it offline, never to play it lan, never to mod it, all for $60 because it has Blizzard tag on it.

Grats.

You always sound upset. Would you like an internet hug? Really, people who play diablo 3 are doing fine - it's just a game my friend.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam
4. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:44 AngelicPenguin

Amnesia had mods? I just played (and enjoyed the hell out of) the base game.  

News Comments > Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans
8. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 14:27 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:00:
Now CC is getting wacked too.

If you read the article, you'd note that CC was getting buffed. Unless you use the term "wacked" to mean making something better.

News Comments > Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans
7. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 14:25 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:15:
Crowd control?

Is this Diablo or WoW?

Pretty sure some skills in diablo 2 had stuns.

News Comments > Project Giana Kickstater/Demo
10. Re: Project Giana Kickstater/Demo Aug 25, 2012, 18:17 AngelicPenguin

Wow I remember this game on my amiga.  

284 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo