Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 297 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
32. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:41 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:14:
"I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware."

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is... why did it run so poorly on your dual core cpu?

It all has to do with how the game is programmed. Some games only use the physical cores they assign threads to, some just report CPU needs to the OS and have the OS handle the load balancing.

Crysis 2 is actually a perfect example of a game that is not threaded properly. It uses 3 cores (because it's an x360 coded game at heart) and does some weird load balancing for any more than that.

I'll take your word for it using 3, which certainly seems plausible since it ran better on a quad core which has 3. I don't know how that translates to not being threaded properly, however. Unless you are an engine programmer and crack open the source code, I don't see how one can make that claim from the outside.

This seems a bit off topic from Bioshock Infinite though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:45 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:31:
UE3 streams in textures at multiple detail levels... doesn't it? you see it as texture "pop-in". How much more noticeable is that pop-in going to take now that we have huge uncompressed textures to throw at it?

I understand that programming for multiple threads is "harder"... but a lot of it is built into the engire they purchased int he first place... in this case UE3 which has plenty of threading options available to programmers that rarely get used. It's not limited to just programming for "multiple cores" either. Lots of ports (GTA4 comes to mind) are severely CPU intensive for really no reason.

Most modern games that have graphics options allow you to set the texture detail - I'd assume this will as well. If your video card's memory is on the slow or small side, setting the texture quality to "full" or whatever they will call it will probably hurt.

I still don't really see the point in the multiple threads argument. When I saw that Crysis 2 performed MUCH better on a quad-core than a dual-core, I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware.

26. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:25 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:23:
There is nooooo real reason that games have jumped from single core to quad core requirements in the last few years outside of shoddy, lazy, un-optimized game engines.

Bioshock2 had a refresh rate lock on it (who knows why, the first game didn't and no other UE3 games do...), so this can't be a day 1 purchase for me.

"unadulterated, full-resolution textures" - How long is it going to take to stream in that layer of textures? What does "full resolution" mean anyway? That's not a real thing.

"Hard Drive: 30 GB free"

This is a bigger deal than anything on this list.

I have no idea what you mean by "stream in" - are you hoping to play on a streaming service? (ba-da bump) I thought it was pretty obvious he is saying that the PC release will have the full uncompressed textures, while the consoles will have to make compromises for memory.

And in the days of 3 terabyte hard drives, I'm not sure 30 GB is really an issue. Maybe with an SSD you'd have to shuffle some other games around while you play through this game - I dunno, personally I'd prefer they use whatever makes it look the best.

And on the quad-core - you do realize it's HARDER to multi-thread something, so that it takes advantages of multiple cores, right? Shoddy and lazy is not what immediately springs to my mind.

19. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 14:52 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:43:
No one is buying this until the bargain bin anyway so it doesn't much matter what the specs are.

I'm guessing this is a joke I'm missing as Bioshock sold very well.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I don't have complaints on either one of them, visually. Both look fantastic.

The Infinite trailer certainly looked hard to pull off as an actual game, though. After Bioshock, though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

10. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 12:54 AngelicPenguin

JayDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I have to agree. Call me crazy but I still think the original Crysis looks better and that's DirectX 10.

I don't think that's crazy at all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbTFdy3BTg

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 18:55 AngelicPenguin

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:23:
That's how Nintendo sees it. I doubt that's how MS or Sony see it, especially when Nintendo is in the lead...

I don't think they cared initially. But after Nintendo built its Scrooge McDuck money vault anyone would be envious. Then the "me-too!" motion addons came out.

I thought Scrooge McDuck had his money in his swimming pool and would take a dive in. At least that's how my foggy memory remembers it.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans
8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans Jan 9, 2013, 16:59 AngelicPenguin

Trevellian wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:06:
Gas Bandit wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:56:
Hope they do something about the game crashing every 1.5 hours on win XP. I rather like this game.

Hah, you're lucky the game even runs on XP. I don't blame them for not supporting it one bit. Quit being stubborn and upgrade to Win7 already.

That's like bringing gun control or religion into an argument. Neither of you will convince the other.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 15:43 AngelicPenguin

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:20:
Yippedee fuckin' doo.

How about unfucking the point values and letting people take more during the fights, instead of less.
Goofy goddamned bullshit.
"Hey this is a fun game."
"You're right. Let's fix that."

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with this patch bringing the Second Wave to life. It's nice to see them giving enough of a shit that they released a third patch.

My problem is and will always be their point value rape, where suddenly my build isn't just not allowed, but all the gear is now ridiculously expensive, while everything else is unimproved and dirt cheap.

In multiplayer matches, about half the aliens are avoided, and the other half are shits and giggles (griefing support).
Yet instead of increasing the usefulness of those critters, they nerf the useful and interesting gear.

Nobody takes Mutons, but it's only 3800 points for an Elite Muton!
Critters don't take gear (no mindshield) but they come with a 1500 point grenade!

Allowing aliens to equip gear, to level up and down, at the cost of points would mean a massive variety of gameplay options, and strategies.
A balancing nightmare? Fuck so be it, at least there's some fucking options.
At least I'm not going to be another squad of plasma toting fucktards, going against a squad of plasma toting fucktards.

Unbalanced isn't instantly a bad thing. Games aren't always balanced. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on the roll of the dice.

For those unfamiliar with the multiplayer in this game, mind elaborating? Are you saying all multiplayer games use the same alien setups?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 15:18 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 13:27:
Man the next round of picks are going to be tough, I am digging through stats and watching old games trying to figure them out

I certainly don't think the broncos or patriots games are hard to call. And I'm a Texans fan

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 12:29 AngelicPenguin

I was hoping they'd take RG3 out because I just felt bad for the guy. He looked so hobbled, and as time went on it became clear he wasn't going to remove himself, so I was hoping Shanahan would make the decision for him.

I don't fault him for leaving him in though. After the fast start, I can see him hoping he could last the game. Thank goodness he didn't really injure himself on that botched snap, or the uproar would have made this look like nothing.

News Comments > GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues
33. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 16:40 AngelicPenguin

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:54:
mag wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 15:51:
Also: I have and use an xbox 360 controller on my PC. It's kind of a piece of shit. The actual thing feels sturdy, but the D-pad is the worst of any controller I've ever used, the buttons are mushy, and the analog sticks click.

The PS3 controller is much nicer, but you have to do a little fiddling to get games to recognize it as a 360 controller, sometimes.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I hate the PS3 controller. Too light, sticks too close together, absolutely horrifically bad shoulder buttons, etc.

You're correct about the d-pad on the 360 being awful, but I rarely use it - only for selecting weapons and it does that fine (well, when going for cardinal directions. Starts getting worse if you're going 8 way.) The newer controller fixes this decently, for additional cost. No issue with me with the sticks, though, nor the buttons, and the shoulder buttons are infinitely better.

I believe Hori makes a 360 controller with a legit d-pad (no floaty sphere thingy.) I bought it a while back for games that really needed a good d-pad. As a plus, since this is a PC discussion, it is wired, so you do not need the usb wireless adapter for it, so this is the one I leave hooked up to my computer.

News Comments > GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues
9. Re: GOG.com Sale Concluding; Steam Sale Continues Jan 2, 2013, 14:45 AngelicPenguin

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 14:39:
I was gone for most of 2012 but I have bought pretty much every 2012 game I wanted in these sales. Only exception being Borderlands 2, but as a solo player it's much lower on my priority list than it would be for an online gamer.

Now I have to make the agonizing decision of which to play first. I'm thinking Dishonored or Far Cry 3.

Dino Beatdown?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 14:32 AngelicPenguin

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:36:
Dark Souls is one of those games that are best played with a controller, period. Like Assassin's Creed, Batman: AA/AC

I thought Batman's played great with a k/m. I bet faster then a controller.

I played Batman AA with keyboard/mouse, but for a goof tried AC with an xbox controller - I thought the controller was better honestly, and I play pretty much everything with keyboard. It was just far easier to do the combat, imho.

News Comments > Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics
40. Re: Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics Dec 18, 2012, 11:05 AngelicPenguin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 22:14:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 21:36:
People say it was unoptimized as if they've cracked open the source code and taken a look - the amount of shader effects in that game is incredible. The only PC game I've seen to date to match it visually is Witcher 2.

It was simply future proofed - people complained that they couldn't run it on its highest setting, and upon release you were not supposed to be able to.
No, it wasn't future-proofed. If it was then hardware released five years after the game should have been able to run it pretty well, yet I still get framerate drops. Also, there isn't much point developing a game that can only be run at maximum settings years after release - most people play a game and then move on. Genres move on so quickly and there are very few games that I enjoy going back to and replaying.

Games like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament really pushed the graphic envelope and advanced the genre, yet they didn't collapse systems - and they scaled well to future hardware.

As for visuals, I disagree. I was never impressed by the graphics in Crysis, even though the engine was very advanced at a technical level. The Witcher 2 certainly had great visuals, especially for a DX9 game. For PC visuals there are lots to choose from: Alan Wake, Far Cry 3, Far Cry 2, Batman: Arkham City, Dishonored, Crysis 2, Metro 2033, Black Mesa and even Trine 2. I'm not saying any of those games are necessarily better at a technical level (nor are the screenshots I picked always the best representation of the visuals), just that I prefer the visuals.

Check the visuals out comparing Crysis (a 2006 game) to Far Cry 3, which is one of the nicest looking games released this year and pushes hardware pretty much the most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ohqbEn1v8

Hardware in 2006 was not at a point yet to play the game looking like that. They had multiple presets to deal with this. Medium looked like Far Cry and still looked great, high was the best you could play upon release with very high end hardware, and very high at playable framerates came a few years later.

Crytek got a lot of flack for that, though, so I doubt they will release a game again that's highest setting is not playable upon release.

I still completely believe the intent was that you could play the game with later hardware. It made sure Crysis showed up in most video card reviews for 5 years. I think this was intentional.

News Comments > Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics
33. Re: Yerli on Crysis 3's Superior Graphics Dec 15, 2012, 21:36 AngelicPenguin

Everybody has opinions, mine is that Crysis is one of my favorite shooters ever. Crysis 2? Not so much. It was far too claustrophobic for me. Also the AI in 2 seemed much worse, but it could be that the AI in Crysis spoke Korean, so it was harder to notice the stupid things they were doing.

People say it was unoptimized as if they've cracked open the source code and taken a look - the amount of shader effects in that game is incredible. The only PC game I've seen to date to match it visually is Witcher 2.

It was simply future proofed - people complained that they couldn't run it on its highest setting, and upon release you were not supposed to be able to.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:36 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:32:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 13:20:
I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

I get a lot of drops, it's just that 99.9% are shit to the point where you tune out drops themselves. I don't care about finding one selling for hundreds of millions, I'm trying to obtain gear for my character to use which should not be a rare thing to find. They didn't strike a good balance between gear quality and drop rate.

Ya, I wasn't arguing about that, I was commenting on "one legendary in a week for 3 people." Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2012, 13:20 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 09:27:
I've been revisiting Diablo 3 over the past few weeks, they did a lot to fix up the games issues in terms of balance and design but forgot about loot *again*.

Yellow is the new blue. You find so many yellows that you stop identifying them until you get back into town. Same problems as launch, useful drops are so rare that you end up on the AH to get stuff. I played pretty hardcore for a few weeks with 3 buddies, between the lot of us we had one shitty legendary with horrible stats roll and a bunch of marginal yellow upgrades.

How they continue to fuck this up is beyond me. Make the game like Torchlight 2, I was drowning in awesome loot and the choices were often difficult. Rather than vendoring shit I actually filled up my stash, finding many items that would be useful for different classes and builds. Compelling choices, not waiting a year to find a diamond in a mountain of horseshit.

Monster Power kinda sucks BTW, the increase in drop percentages and loot quality often isn't worth the increasing run times. The games loot system revolves around their revenue stream more than it does gameplay enjoyment.

Anyways still really flawed and frustrating. It sucks because the gameplay and balance is hugely improved but the loot system is just inherently fucked. Enjoy finding the only legendary you might all week and having it be some shitty Wizard item with a strength roll.

I dunno Verno - maybe your magic find was too low, or your monster power is too high? The ideal farming method is mp0 with max magic find (really easy to obtain on mp0.) The legendaries should just roll in. I got 9 last night in just over three hours.

If you are talking about finding a legendary worth hundreds of millions? Then ya, that's still pretty rare (and should be.)

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
21. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 17:47 AngelicPenguin

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 15:52:
BobBob wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:29:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 13:35:
Just out of spite for deqer i gave d3 another shot, 1.05 has turned out pretty good. I'm enjoying it.

Please delete your BluesNews account.

You first. Atleast i'm not some jaded internet kid and actually give new patches a try in games.

Don't fight the angst.

News Comments > Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up
11. Re: Linux Diablo III Bans Follow-up Nov 15, 2012, 14:10 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 11:17:
Have fun playing your single player game online, being tracked and owned by the company.

There are ways to have fun online with people, and this isn't one of them.

All we have here is a King Kong company who took their best franchise and used it on all of you people as a way to shove DRM/ownage down your throats, and you all bought it.

Hopefully most of you learned from this and you won't buy into this type of thing again.

You must be the life of the party.

297 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo