Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 287 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
16. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:53 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:15:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:19:
Because it's news about a game and this is a gaming news site?
A PTR UPDATE! WOWWWWWWW! ... ...

I sort of like that as the subject line of the news post. Maybe blue can give you a job.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 14:46 AngelicPenguin

Alamar wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 14:15:
MisterBenn wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:50:
Hark659 wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:51:
Too busy playing Path of Exile.

Yeah I jumped on the open beta and have played it full time the past few days. There's definitely something about it that's compelling.

I've played a bunch more, and there are a few interesting bits to it, but the combat is so... clunky, it's very off-putting...

But I'm still trying to 'give it a chance', and I got my Shadow to 21 or so, and now that I have cleave (Which is Strength, as opposed to my Shadow that is the other two), I'm enjoying using that.

I do like DoTs though, so Viper Strike (melee DoT, stacked up to 4 times) and the fire trap (ranged, AOE DoT) are what I mainly have been using, but again, clunky... Especially switching targets...

I'm not sure if it's just an animation thing that so many people have complained about with some games (that I never had an issue with), or it's just timing on attacks/switching targets, etc... I've heard that more attack speed helps, but only so much as to make the awkward parts a bit shorter.

-Alamar

I felt the same way...the combat feels off. Say what you want about D3 but they nailed the bad ass killing creatures part.

4. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Feb 1, 2013, 11:19 AngelicPenguin

deqer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:51:
Why are you still posting news about this fucking game?

It's too late now. It's over.

The game is ruined, and too late now for patches and stuff.

Because it's news about a game and this is a gaming news site?

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Patch Notes Updated
2. Re: Diablo III PTR Patch Notes Updated Jan 31, 2013, 10:49 AngelicPenguin

Quite the contrary, almost all of these are good changes.  

News Comments > Crysis 3 Crisis Averted
14. Re: Crysis 3 Crisis Averted Jan 30, 2013, 12:49 AngelicPenguin

Beamer wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 10:11:

Read my next post - these things aren't an accident and no one deserves "blame." And it isn't the job of the game designer to read the EULA. It would be nice if he did, but he has an entire legal team, who has an entire outside counsel team, dedicated to making these decisions. Even if he knows about these things he often can't fight them because:
a) it isn't his job to
b) it isn't his ass on the line if they get sued

The EULA has one purpose: to prevent the company from being sued. The counsel mostly has the same purpose. So EULAs are created by counsel to cover as much ass as possible. They overreach. They always overreach.

But the guy who is actually enforcing the EULA has no clue that it overreaches. He runs things the way he feels they should be run. He's not a jackass, and he'd never ban someone for not reporting a bug. Most people don't report bugs, and fuck, most people only find incredibly obvious bugs and you don't want them reporting it because 500 people already have.

Again, this does not mean people shouldn't complain and fight it, but just know it will always happen. The lawyers are paid exclusively to prevent the company from liability. The only way to do that is to overreach, because it becomes a cat-and-mouse game and some jackass will always find some jackass reason to sue, ruining it for everyone.

Sometimes I wish blues had a thumbs up option.

News Comments > Sins of a Dark Age Trailer
6. Re: Sins of a Dark Age Trailer Jan 29, 2013, 17:10 AngelicPenguin

I wonder why all the footage they show is so zoomed in (I played it without audio, so apologies if the director explained that.)

Dunno, it just seems like this sort of game is more impressive seeing the larger picture.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta
6. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta Jan 28, 2013, 12:39 AngelicPenguin

Weird look at that, an Nvidia driver ready before the game comes out.  

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
19. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 20:53 AngelicPenguin

Panickd wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 20:36:
Sempai wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 19:15:
You state you're listening? I call bull.

Did you listen to the outcry concerning the auction house? No.

Did you listen to the outcry of forcing us into logging on Battle.net in order to play our game? No.

You are full of shit Rob Pardo.

I think you confuse listening with caving to internet whining.

Listening involves taking in the viewpoints of others that may run counter to your own. It does not necessarily mean you will make changes based on those viewpoints. That is to say, just because they did not alter the design of the game to meet your specifications does not mean that they didn't listen to and hear you.

ssh - you'll unleash the angst.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
39. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 19:28 AngelicPenguin

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:03:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:54:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbTFdy3BTg
That's a great comparison. I find it amazing that anyone can watch that video and suggest that Crysis has better graphics than FC3, yet judging by the comments there clearly are people who believe that. I honestly don't understand it.

Dunno, I think the lighting looks more realistic in the crysis video. More natural. The far cry 3 one the colors look too bright/saturated.

I think they both look excellent, mind you.

Judging from the comments in the video, it looks like its split, so I certainly don't think I'm alone.

35. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:16 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:59:
No, I wasn't joking. Seriously, is anyone going to really buy this at full price? I'm sure as shit not. I loved Bioshock. B2 was meh. This looks bleh.

I thought BioShock2 was made by a different developer, while the team that made BioShock moved on to work on BioShock Infinite.

32. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:41 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:14:
"I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware."

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is... why did it run so poorly on your dual core cpu?

It all has to do with how the game is programmed. Some games only use the physical cores they assign threads to, some just report CPU needs to the OS and have the OS handle the load balancing.

Crysis 2 is actually a perfect example of a game that is not threaded properly. It uses 3 cores (because it's an x360 coded game at heart) and does some weird load balancing for any more than that.

I'll take your word for it using 3, which certainly seems plausible since it ran better on a quad core which has 3. I don't know how that translates to not being threaded properly, however. Unless you are an engine programmer and crack open the source code, I don't see how one can make that claim from the outside.

This seems a bit off topic from Bioshock Infinite though.

29. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:45 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:31:
UE3 streams in textures at multiple detail levels... doesn't it? you see it as texture "pop-in". How much more noticeable is that pop-in going to take now that we have huge uncompressed textures to throw at it?

I understand that programming for multiple threads is "harder"... but a lot of it is built into the engire they purchased int he first place... in this case UE3 which has plenty of threading options available to programmers that rarely get used. It's not limited to just programming for "multiple cores" either. Lots of ports (GTA4 comes to mind) are severely CPU intensive for really no reason.

Most modern games that have graphics options allow you to set the texture detail - I'd assume this will as well. If your video card's memory is on the slow or small side, setting the texture quality to "full" or whatever they will call it will probably hurt.

I still don't really see the point in the multiple threads argument. When I saw that Crysis 2 performed MUCH better on a quad-core than a dual-core, I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware.

26. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:25 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:23:
There is nooooo real reason that games have jumped from single core to quad core requirements in the last few years outside of shoddy, lazy, un-optimized game engines.

Bioshock2 had a refresh rate lock on it (who knows why, the first game didn't and no other UE3 games do...), so this can't be a day 1 purchase for me.

"unadulterated, full-resolution textures" - How long is it going to take to stream in that layer of textures? What does "full resolution" mean anyway? That's not a real thing.

"Hard Drive: 30 GB free"

This is a bigger deal than anything on this list.

I have no idea what you mean by "stream in" - are you hoping to play on a streaming service? (ba-da bump) I thought it was pretty obvious he is saying that the PC release will have the full uncompressed textures, while the consoles will have to make compromises for memory.

And in the days of 3 terabyte hard drives, I'm not sure 30 GB is really an issue. Maybe with an SSD you'd have to shuffle some other games around while you play through this game - I dunno, personally I'd prefer they use whatever makes it look the best.

And on the quad-core - you do realize it's HARDER to multi-thread something, so that it takes advantages of multiple cores, right? Shoddy and lazy is not what immediately springs to my mind.

19. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 14:52 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:43:
No one is buying this until the bargain bin anyway so it doesn't much matter what the specs are.

I'm guessing this is a joke I'm missing as Bioshock sold very well.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I don't have complaints on either one of them, visually. Both look fantastic.

The Infinite trailer certainly looked hard to pull off as an actual game, though. After Bioshock, though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

10. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 12:54 AngelicPenguin

JayDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I have to agree. Call me crazy but I still think the original Crysis looks better and that's DirectX 10.

I don't think that's crazy at all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbTFdy3BTg

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 18:55 AngelicPenguin

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:23:
That's how Nintendo sees it. I doubt that's how MS or Sony see it, especially when Nintendo is in the lead...

I don't think they cared initially. But after Nintendo built its Scrooge McDuck money vault anyone would be envious. Then the "me-too!" motion addons came out.

I thought Scrooge McDuck had his money in his swimming pool and would take a dive in. At least that's how my foggy memory remembers it.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans
8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Plans Jan 9, 2013, 16:59 AngelicPenguin

Trevellian wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:06:
Gas Bandit wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:56:
Hope they do something about the game crashing every 1.5 hours on win XP. I rather like this game.

Hah, you're lucky the game even runs on XP. I don't blame them for not supporting it one bit. Quit being stubborn and upgrade to Win7 already.

That's like bringing gun control or religion into an argument. Neither of you will convince the other.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 15:43 AngelicPenguin

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:20:
Yippedee fuckin' doo.

How about unfucking the point values and letting people take more during the fights, instead of less.
Goofy goddamned bullshit.
"Hey this is a fun game."
"You're right. Let's fix that."

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with this patch bringing the Second Wave to life. It's nice to see them giving enough of a shit that they released a third patch.

My problem is and will always be their point value rape, where suddenly my build isn't just not allowed, but all the gear is now ridiculously expensive, while everything else is unimproved and dirt cheap.

In multiplayer matches, about half the aliens are avoided, and the other half are shits and giggles (griefing support).
Yet instead of increasing the usefulness of those critters, they nerf the useful and interesting gear.

Nobody takes Mutons, but it's only 3800 points for an Elite Muton!
Critters don't take gear (no mindshield) but they come with a 1500 point grenade!

Allowing aliens to equip gear, to level up and down, at the cost of points would mean a massive variety of gameplay options, and strategies.
A balancing nightmare? Fuck so be it, at least there's some fucking options.
At least I'm not going to be another squad of plasma toting fucktards, going against a squad of plasma toting fucktards.

Unbalanced isn't instantly a bad thing. Games aren't always balanced. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on the roll of the dice.

For those unfamiliar with the multiplayer in this game, mind elaborating? Are you saying all multiplayer games use the same alien setups?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2013, 15:18 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 13:27:
Man the next round of picks are going to be tough, I am digging through stats and watching old games trying to figure them out

I certainly don't think the broncos or patriots games are hard to call. And I'm a Texans fan

287 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo