Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AngelicPenguin

Real Name AngelicPenguin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname AngelicPenguin
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 7, 2010, 18:04
Total Comments 284 (Amateur)
User ID 55985

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
24. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway Aug 14, 2014, 15:31 AngelicPenguin

I never played GalCiv2, but I thought the AI was supposed to be one of the best - no?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes
25. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 23:27 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 18:27:

This is the problem wit the Melee classes. they do not do the insane DPS that WD and Mages do.

The only class weaker than "Mages" is Monk. Crusaders are in a much, much better place. I'd be glad if 2.1 and the updated Firebird's set pulled Wizards within striking distance of a Crusader.

19. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:41 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:23:
Well, I play one. and from what I can tell the Crusader because of the change to Heavenly Strength has been turned down. we are not getting the full 23 percent dps increase as the others are. the problem Blizz keeps over looking and what everyone is bitching about is Barbs having the ability to dual wield getting a max of 8 stats because of the two weapons. many are saying that 2HD weapons should get either more stats added, or give us a second socket to try and off set the dps loss we are loosing.

here's my char.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dark-1182/hero/43548956

So Blizzard said they are across the board buffing 2 handed weapons by 23-26%, but this does not apply to Crusader weapons? It has flail right there in the list (?)

17. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 16:19 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 16:03:
So, they increase the weapon damg by 23/26 percent, but Crusaders get jacked off because they nerf Heavenly Strength, okay Blizz that really makes a whole lot of sense. Nothing like getting a dick tease.

I don't play Crusader, but the patch notes says it will be a slight dps boost since the two hander damage is boosted. They actually went into a lot of detail as to why they did it that way, but I'm not seeing the nerf.

14. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 15:24 AngelicPenguin

PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 13:39:
Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

Except half of classes cannot use two weapons; it's one weapon socket versus one weapon socket and one (far worse) utility socket. Adding a second weapon socket would just push the balance too far away from one handers for wizard, witch, and sader. The PROBLEM is in having a SINGLE gem mandatory for all weapons and the persistent over-usefulness of %Crit/%CritDmg.

The game is fun, sure, but patches like the upcoming 2.1 highlight how unarguably flawed the game was and continues to be at a fundamental design level.

By utility socket, are you referring to crit chance on the offhands?
With perfect crit rolls everywhere, 10% crit chance is close to 130% crit damage, so they are pretty even. On a wizard, typically crit chance will be worth more simply because of APOC (well if spender builds finally become competitive.)

11. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 12:36 AngelicPenguin

Keilun wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:59:
It's not so much of a 4 vs 8 affix issue as it is an overvaluation of weapon sockets. A weapon socket is so valuable that any weapon without a socket is essentially garbage, that's why everyone rerolls a stat into a socket as is. Ramalandi's gift should help that, but the real issue is 1 weapon socket vs 2 weapon sockets.

I don't get why they don't just allow us to roll 2 sockets on a 2H and be done with it.

I haven't looked closely at legendary gems that much but I can only imagine this only exacerbates the issue.

I think they will be doing that pretty soon as no dual wielder would give up 130% CD. My understanding of legendary gems, though, is that you can only equip 3 - one for each jewelry slot.

4. Re: Diablo III Two-Handed Weapon Changes Jul 18, 2014, 11:12 AngelicPenguin

The idea behind using two handers if for builds that rely on heavy hitting skills that do not benefit from attack speed. In those cirumstances it is actually pretty darn good now on PTR.

The 4 vs 8 thing is also not as much of a factor because 2 handers natively roll much higher primary stats and one of the major rolls everyone wants on a one hander is % damage which scales with the damage on the 2 hander.

And for wizards, it would be ideal for Explosive Blast if Wand of Woh wasn't so dominant. It is also really nice for channeling builds (which got a huge buff) as the resource management is far easier with a 2 hander (to the point of being a non factor.)

So they can definitely be BIS for some builds, which before, I don't think was possible in any circumstance.

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
30. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 15:27 AngelicPenguin

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:12:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:11:
AngelicPenguin wrote on May 22, 2014, 14:46:
I actually thought the drop rates pre-buff were fine and during the buff were rather absurd. It's not unusual at all to get out of a rift with 5+ legendaries.
Once again, I guess my luck just sucks. Getting 5 legendaries in a single rift would be extremely unusual for me. I'd say one is about average. I haven't kept careful stats, but I said it's roughly equal chances of getting none, 1 or 2 -- with a small chance, maybe 5% of getting 3 or more from a single rift(T1/T2).

I average about the same, I'd say 1-2...last week, the night the buff went live, I played for like two hours and didn't have a single orange drop.

I ran T6 pretty much exclusively in the buff, so maybe my numbers are a tad inflated. I did run T5 last night with my brother (he's not geared well enough for 6), and our final tally after an hour and a half was 22 legendaries for him, 17 for me (not counting Kadala.)

Just an FYI, the drop rates in rifts are so buffed now, a really solid idea is to kill the guardian, then just speed around the map looking for chests and elites and only do those.

26. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:57 AngelicPenguin

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2014, 11:44:
Verno, I wish I had your luck. I tired Verno's advice on RRG, I'm over 50 act one caches with that method, plus whatever I had before without a ring. *sigh*

Shouldn't be too bad at this point. I think the odds of bounty cache legendaries have been estimated at 1 in 10 to 1 in 15 BEFORE the buff, and they also get a bump on the torment level you run on now. Obviously just make sure you run only Act 1.

Getting a decent four person group together who can clear T3 or T4 can really make it fast. Load up speed skills and burst damage skills, and you can pretty easily get a bag in under 5 minutes. Just skip everything but what you need for the bounty.

I played with only my brother (who had rarely played) and we got him a ring in under an hour (decent one with a socket.) And this was just two people with him not knowing how to clear them quickly. He said "look one of the legendaries is a ring." I had to explain to him that that was entirely what we were looking for during these runs.

25. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 14:46 AngelicPenguin

I actually thought the drop rates pre-buff were fine and during the buff were rather absurd. It's not unusual at all to get out of a rift with 5+ legendaries.

There are some really rare ones, however, and many are BIS for certain builds so I suppose that hunt will remain (looking at you Starmetal.)

I really enjoy the game, though. I'm concerned that I'll find everything I want to find a bit faster than I had hoped. I already put my wizard on hold since there wasn't anything else I was that interested in finding (Wand of Woh I did NOT find, but that weapon just doesn't appeal to me - too loud and spammy.)

There is the content patch and balance patch coming though, which could change a lot of things.

News Comments > Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near
27. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 15:22 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 15:07:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 12:53:
MrGrosser wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 12:41:
What will happen to Paragon Levels when RoS drops? Will you not progress any levels until you reach 70? Will they reset to 0 and you can start gaining them again at 70?

Your paragon progression stops in RoS temporarily until you hit 70, then starts again.

This is also why you should be grinding out your paragon levels now at 60, because once you make it to level 70 the XP to gain the next level is going to be much higher.

As for the Mystic being available in Act 5. It was once said she would not be available until after you completed Act 5. But she actually becomes available about 1 hour into the game before or after you kill Urzael.

No one is going to have the matts available from the start of the Add-on to even begin using her ,which is why you find her later in the game.

So disenchant everything you get. Blue items too.

I've heard mixed things about this. Some say the xp gain is so massive in RoS doing bounties and such that you don't really need to feel compelled to grind out paragon now.

Personally, since current 2.0 legendaries are most likely far inferior to their 70 counterparts, I have been doing only xp farming because the bonus is just too massive relative to xp/hr before.

23. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 12:53 AngelicPenguin

MrGrosser wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 12:41:
What will happen to Paragon Levels when RoS drops? Will you not progress any levels until you reach 70? Will they reset to 0 and you can start gaining them again at 70?

Your paragon progression stops in RoS temporarily until you hit 70, then starts again.

18. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 12:00 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:56:
No Angelic, this was a bonus to even the Paragon stuff. Again, I need to check with a few others about this. But it was rumored.

Sounds like a rumor then again. I can guarantee I would have heard about something as cool as that (bonus move speed would be insanely userful.)

14. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 11:31 AngelicPenguin

Darks wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:27:
Linksil wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:16:
For LgFriess:

You can do everything in act 1-4 only and get lvl 60 from playing through without the exp. Problem you run into is that the exp isn't just 61-70 it's Act5. IE if you want the story to continue beyond the killing of Diablo3 in a natural progression you'll want the exp come tuesday. I haven't done a new character, but most people were saying that one play through of Act 1-4 got you around lvl 50 without repeating levels/turning up diff. So you'll have to play through it again or just repeat quests from 50-60 where as having act5 will let you keep exploring new levels while leveling up.

You can't unlock the mystic to mod equipment until you've played through act5 once.

Just to be clear on the fast leveling thats occurring now, Blizz is giving everyone a 50% XP bonus now. That is going away come Tuesday. So take advantage of it now while you can. Many are using this XP bonus to level their Paragons. I heard through the grape vine that anyone over 100 Paragon is getting a bonus movement speed. But how true that is, I canít say for sure. Itís been mostly rumor, but being above 100 defiantly has its benefits.

Like when you start a new Char you have immediate access to those paragon levels you can apply to that new char. I leveled a new Barb just so I could farm the newer legendries for the Crusader coming out.

I also played the game on Expert Difficulty and had no issues up until the Fourth Act. Then it started getting a lot more difficult. So take advantage while you can of that bonus XP.

I don't think there is any RoS bonus based on your paragon level like movement speed. Perhaps folks are talking about the fact that you can assign paragon points to movement speed? Obviously having more paragon points allows you to max that and use less items to get to 25% (the cap from items and paragon.)

10. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 11:14 AngelicPenguin

LgFriess wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 10:38
uick question for you vets. I just picked it up the other day and am working my way through with a wizard. Is there any point for me to pick up the xpac now, ie. will I be missing anything important in the first 60 levels, or should I just wait until I get close to the end. [/quote:

No difference since xpac is not released yet. After Tuesday, then yes, big difference. Then you could play 1-60 in adventure mode and skip campaign mode altogether (if you have already played the campaign.)

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos
35. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos Mar 21, 2014, 11:01 AngelicPenguin

Fletch wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 09:00:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 15:05:
We get it - you don't like it. You can just post "I do not like D3" in every thread and we will have your input.

We get it - you like it. You can just post "I like D3" in every thread and we will have your input.

My point was that there was no substance to what he posted, so saying "I do not like D3" was just as meaningful. Typically when I post about the game, I have something concrete to add.

34. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos Mar 21, 2014, 10:57 AngelicPenguin

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 02:18:
My take:

The builds that work are the same ones that worked prior to Loot 2.0.

Someone either never played wizard before or completely forgot what builds were viable pre-2.0 and what are now.

29. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos Mar 21, 2014, 01:04 AngelicPenguin

Ward wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 23:32:
...refusing to accept on-line always and the uninspiring skill-tree

so these have changed?

Seriously Optional Nickname! you make some excellent point but you forgot the story was the worst.. ever... i mean ever...that could of been written.

Dunno - have you seen the Phantom Menace?

25. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls New Skill Videos Mar 20, 2014, 17:32 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:33:
I'll check it out later for sure. I'd really like a decent multishot build like I used to have but it just feels way weaker than it used to be.

I haven't yet tried my demon hunter in 2.0 but I know in the RoS beta everyone was loving Cluster Arrow.

The demon hunter lifer I play with has mostly still been using Bombardment, though, but we've been doing COTA mostly.

News Comments > Diablo III Australian Server Launches; Reaper of Souls Trailer
54. Re: Diablo III Australian Server Launches; Reaper of Souls Trailer Mar 20, 2014, 15:51 AngelicPenguin

My theory on two handers is that in RoS there are non attack speed builds where the damage boost on them makes them the desired weapons and if they buff them straight up to be as good as dual wield or orb/mojo that those builds would be too strong.

Just a guess though, but on one of the videos I recall Travis Day talking with someone else from Blizzard in their party about some earthquake barb build he was playing and how a 2 hander was perfect for it.

284 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo