Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rick Williams

Real Name Rick Williams   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname budrojr
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 2, 2010, 20:00
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 55974

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 12, 2014, 10:05 budrojr

Also perhaps because their QA was complete and total crap. The game was horrifically and unplayably broken for months before they got it working right. And to this day the game is rife with bugs which cause you to lose inventory or be able to exploit the heck out of things.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the game. But it could have been so much better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 budrojr

I'd like to see it be a felony to be caught tampering with the recording devices on a cruiser or police officer. I'd also like it to be mandatory that police would not be allowed to operate or patrol without those recording devices being present. People would always try to mess with the recording equipment, but at least you could charge them for doing so.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta Update - More Backer Access
11. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Update - More Backer Access Feb 25, 2014, 18:09 budrojr

I think the early backers of all stripes should have gotten beta access for free. If it weren't for us, this game wouldn't even exist.  

News Comments > LEGO: The Hobbit Announced
5. Re: LEGO: The Hobbit Announced Nov 25, 2013, 23:37 budrojr

I want to see Lego: The Walking Dead.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Extended Free Trial This Week; Patch Next Week Sep 24, 2013, 16:25 budrojr

I completely agree with this assessment. There is a lot to do once you hit 80, and even then the gameplay changes from class to class. And you have to play multiple races to see all the different angles to the storyline.

I've been playing casually for a year, and haven't come close to doing all there is to do. And with no subscription fee, you don't have to feel guilty about dropping the game for awhile to do something else. The art is fantastic, and the game is fun to play just to explore the environment. Honestly, you could spend your money on much worse. It's a great value.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. E-Sports Sep 8, 2013, 09:50 budrojr

People have been asking this question for over a decade. The answer is still no.  

News Comments > Revised State of Decay Okayed Down Under
10. Re: Revised State of Decay Okayed Down Under Jul 12, 2013, 21:33 budrojr

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that Cutter is from America unless you traced some kind of routing info I haven't seen or have seen another of his posts where he outs his location. But that aside. Is he wrong? No. At least not anymore than you are about the JJ nip slip thing. The majority of the country was pretty much only miffed that she tried to act like it was an accident. B*tch you know you planned that to happen exactly as it happened. Don't insult our intelligence.

In the end you and Cutter are both insinuating something about an entire country that isn't true. Most Aussies I'm sure are just like most Americans in that we couldn't care less about what is and what isn't displayed in a game. It's the review boards who think their entire job is to protect people from themselves. It's one thing for them to say, this is bad and it should be rated such and such. It's another thing entirely to ban it because of what they think is too much. In doing so they step on my freedom to make an informed decision and choose for myself at that point, and they need to fark off. And Australia is far more repressive in that regard than the US, although we seem to be heading more in that direction every day much to my dismay.

If I wanna see blood and gore, boobs and drugs, that's my choice. Nobody else should get to make that choice for me once I reached adult age. And if someone else doesn't want that? Don't buy the game. Or petition the developer for options to disable or control content. But let's not get into a circular hypocritical name calling battle. It's entirely possible for both of you to be wrong.

News Comments > Independence Day Consolidation
23. Xbone headset and advertising Jul 4, 2013, 14:22 budrojr

I was totally not surprised that the headset they are recanting and putting in the package now is the cheapest POS wired setup they could do. Their last generation headsets were trash that were easily supplanted by an outperforming $2 cell phone headset. I mean, they had to TRY to produce something that shitty. And then to insult us by slapping a $20 price tag on it? Not forgivable. The more you continue to show me you're only about the money and not about the service or the games, the harder it's going to be to convince me to give you my money.

And as far as advertising is concerned, I don't want to see it unless I am looking for it. I paid for your console. I paid for your Xbox Live service. I pay for your exclusive games because you want people to support your brand and not play on the platform of their choice when I really wish I could play them on something else. I pay I pay I pay. That means that I want my experience to be free from all advertising being forced on me. If you want me to use something that's going to pump shit into my house against my will, then you better give me the console for free. Because I will NOT pay for a device that does that to me. You're double dipping. Either the advertisers pay, or I pay. You don't get it both ways. Cable companies are feeling the effects of this principle as people jump ship for cheaper alternatives with less advertising (Netflix, Hulu, etc).

I am a person, a customer, not your "market." Your console should be nothing more than a platform, and not a proverbial contract. Your service should be superfluous. I should be able to play the game I want to play, on the system I want to play it on, against other people on other platforms who want to play the game on THAT system. We should not be tied to you, but should be a part of the SAME GAME.

If you console makers are not going to swallow your egos and work towards that goal for the good of the gaming community as a whole, then you can all kiss my ass this next console generation.

News Comments > Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week
4. Re: Gunpoint Demo Now; Game Next Week May 28, 2013, 12:23 budrojr

I don't think you gave this much of a chance. It's kinda neat. Play the demo, and I think you might like it more than you expect.  

News Comments > Dead Island Riptide Preorder Bonuses
3. Re: Dead Island Riptide Preorder Bonuses Mar 4, 2013, 21:56 budrojr

The first game was messed up so badly for so long that I swore way back then I would under no circumstances pre-order another game from this company. I think it'd send a pretty good message to them to not release crap if people waited until release to see if the game works or is another broken mess.  

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
18. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 11:40 budrojr

I guess since you couldn't be concerned with reading anything, you missed the part about "So what if my level 215 isn't significantly more powerful than your level 50 because all real rewards for leveling slow down or stop completely at level 50. It's just nice to be able to show off my time investment."

This is kinda why the tl;dr crowd is not one I like to pander to. They just don't seem to have any time to think for themselves, investigate the reasons behind things, and only concern themselves with sensationalist headlines.

News Comments > Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50
15. Re: Why Borderlands 2 Level Cap is Still 50 Feb 8, 2013, 11:23 budrojr

For the tl;dr crowd I will sum up the wall-o-text below: Level caps suck and shouldn't be in RPGs at all, and inventory/bank caps suck even more in a game where the entire post-game draw is farming for loot.

When I play RPG-like games, I hate having a level cap at all. If I want to keep playing the game, I like it to reflect that fact to other people I play with. So what if my level 215 isn't significantly more powerful than your level 50 because all real rewards for leveling slow down or stop completely at level 50. It's just nice to be able to show off my time investment. And no, the badass ranks don't really do that all that well since you can easily add a lot of rank by just making another character.

What I can't stand is that after all the whining and complaining about inventory space and bank space in the original borderlands, why they not only didn't drastically increase the inventory/bank size in borderlands 2, but in fact halved it. And there are WAY more items in BL2 worth keeping and playing around with than there were in BL1.

And why is the bank character specific? We are all wanting to trade items between toons, so why the restriction? Games don't need realism on all levels. It's a game. Let me carry a crapload of items if I want, let me store a crapload of items if I want, and don't restrict me from trading them EASILY in MASS QUANTITIES between toons. It's dumb. And they actually regressed in this area from BL1 to BL2.

And why the caps on eridium/seraph crystals/torgue tokens? And money is STILL freaking useless overall, especially since the slot machines spit out nothing but trash.

Serious dev team. You didn't plan for stuff to happen in BL1 because you didn't know what people would like and wouldn't like. That is understandable. In BL2 you absolutely did know what people wanted and still just didn't deliver. This leads me to believe you didn't care about making the most enjoyable player experience you could. Instead you were focused on the money. Give people what they want and the money will come. You are not making a case for me to trust you for a 3rd installment of your IP.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
15. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 12, 2012, 09:37 budrojr

RailWizard wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 15:31:
lol PC gaming is dying, oh no wait it's consoles!

The real headline is Gaming is Dying and it's because 'they' are giving gaming the Las Vegas treatment where the house always wins. Money has always been a factor, but now it's the only factor.

Came here to say this, and was glad to see it's the very first comment.

A lot of games seem to be designed these days with obvious pieces missing, so they can protect new sales or make additional sales from DLC. In addition, game prices fall so quickly once the initial rush is over for the latest blockbuster that it only makes sense to wait a little while for lower prices, package deals, or GotY editions which include all the DLC at a fraction of the cost. All this with the general feeling that games are rushed out the doors these days with all kinds of quality issues and bugs, and not as many people are ready to be early adopters anymore.

I don't think consoles are dying, and I don't think game sales are truly slowing down. I think gamers are see a cost advantage to putting off purchases and waiting until developers truly polish their games.

If they'd offer better incentives to pre-order or day one purchasers, more people might spring for the new games when they come out. If I'm only going to be rewarded with some stupid poster or in-game decal for being an early adopter, I'll just wait until they release a few patches and the price drops to $29.99 somewhere so I can afford the DLC which is needed to make the game feel more complete.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
14. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 15:32 budrojr

I hope some of those items are in the game itself. I wonder just how many extra bag slots you can buy, and do they go to all toons on the account? If I have 10 toons and have to buy extra bag slots for each toon, I'm not going to be happy at all.

From those screenshots, it looks like the pricing for a lot of the items is set too high. At current enchange rates, a character slot would be about $12.50. What's wrong with multiples of $5? Setting the currency off like that is going to mean I'll be waiting until a half-off or other discount sale or something. I'm fine to buy stuff, but not when it looks like greed. :/

Then again, I've already outed myself as being a cheap, broke player.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
11. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 14:34 budrojr

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about. In the original GW, if you wanted the vanity items, the ONLY option you had was to pony up real world money. In GW2, you can still do it that way, or if you're a cheap or broke player (like me), you now can spend your in-game gold on the items needed to get the vanity items.

Anet has ADDED a helpful way for more people to acquire the vanity items. They didn't take anything away, and they certainly aren't forcing you to waste time grinding for things you DO NOT NEED to play the game. It's not at all like WoW, LotRO, RIFT, DDO, or other games that require you to spend your cash on mount licenses and mounts to do something that is really integral to the gameplay. If you don't want the vanity items, don't spend the cash, and don't waste your gold. Your gameplay experience and mine will be none the worse for it.

But since they are relying on these types of microtransactions rather than fees to fund their game, I can totally see why they would rather have you spend the cash than grind the gold. These devs have listened to all the complaints about other MMOs, and done nothing but try to improve the experience in every way possible. It seems all they're getting in return is a bunch of griping from ignorant people.

Whether anyone believes it or not, this system is extremely nice, and in the end the only people I think won't be pleased are the trolls and WoW fanboys.

News Comments > Dead Island Bloodbath DLC Released
13. Re: Dead Island Bloodbath DLC Released Nov 23, 2011, 19:16 budrojr

I play on the Xbox 360 and the game has been horribly broken since day one. It started off with the corrupt save game issue which I'm not sure they really knew how to fix for awhile. The latest patch finally did fix this problem but brought back all kinds of other problems and even added a couple new ones.

There are places in the laboratory area which are bugged and I cannot access now; areas in which I should be able to go (e.g. the front office where you first encounter the security guard giving quests). This impacts story progression because I can't get the quests I need to proceed with the game.

The crafting menu is acting wonky again, with the cursor jumping to random places after you craft an item. So if I want to craft 10 deo-bombs for instance, I have to craft one, find it in the list again, craft another, find it in the list again, etc. I haven't even bothered to try to sell or trade anything again, because if the crafting menu is jumpy, the other menu systems are likely jumpy too.

They fixed the item duping exploit, but now when I craft items, anything I am holding is dumped on the ground. This was a pretty big problem when I lost my level 50 Deathstalker Zed's Demise after modding a shotgun and making some ammo. I also lost the shotgun and a pistol when it clipped through the floor of the boat and dropped into the water where it was unretrievable.

These are just some of the more annoying and costly examples. Dead Island has a great concept and has incredible promise to be an awesome triple-a franchise, but I don't think it'll ever grow like it should because of how badly the first one was botched. It was released a good 6 months to a year before it should have been, and they have not done a good job at all of fixing the problems.

It was and continues to be so frustrating (if not downright unplayable) that I actually shelved this game. I pull it out every time I see a patch released, excited and hopeful that they have fixed these major problems, and that I'll finally be able to kick zombie butt with friends again. What they do fix, opens up a whole new crop of problems which are just as troublesome. It's just 1 step forward, 2 steps back with these guys with every patch.

And don't even get me started on charging for DLC which is included on the disc. What's next? Disabling the B button on the control pad until I pay for the unlock DLC? I can't think of a better way to get me to never buy another game from this developer.

News Comments > Dead Island Bloodbath DLC Released
2. Re: Dead Island Bloodbath DLC Released Nov 23, 2011, 12:28 budrojr

Considering that this content is actually ON THE DISC, I think it's pretty sick they are charging ten bucks for the "DLC." The DLC was one of those 160k unlock keys. This content should be available FREE to anyone who buys the game new, not just to people who pre-ordered it. And in all honesty, as broken as this game continues to be almost 3 months after release, I think those who still own and play this game deserve a lot more free.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 2, 2010, 23:22 budrojr

Kajetan wrote on Oct 2, 2010, 19:51:
EA proudly announced, that the new MoH sets a new pre-order record. Seems, like EA didn't offend a majority of their customers, that they only offend people, who were not their customers at all. As such, a wise and clever marketing move, knowing that gamers don't give a shit about the faction name in a modern warfare shooter.

Since the new MoH has already set a new pre-order record, a viral marketing stunt like this probably won't really help sales any. Most marketers do stuff like this when they are trying to push a mediocre product that has seen very little publicity. But MoH looks like a triple A title that has seen a lot of good press up until this point. Theoretically a move like this would hurt sales, except for your correct observation that gamers are going to buy a great game regardless of what everyone is named. Those who were sitting on the fence will probably be turned off by all the negativity surrounding the game now. Especially since EA caved. Now there is no controversy. There is nothing more to see.

The problem is that while gamers may not particularly care about the name of the bad guys' team, I think they do care about being shoveled a line of crap for any reason. We were promised the first ever game of total realism in a current real world conflict, telling the story of real soldiers fighting a very real enemy, and then when the chips were down EA broke that promise. And they did it without telling us a particularly good excuse which only feeds the feelings of being lied to. Both sides have treated us like we are stupid, and I feel like this is what has so many people upset. Hence I think EA's decision wasn't marketing, but a clumsy effort at backpedaling to try to appease a minority.

Now, if some EA official were ever to step out and say for certain that it really WAS just a big marketing stunt, I'd have to just call them a bunch of jerks since intentionally lying to your customer base to inflate sales is a really crappy way to get attention for your product.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Oct 2, 2010, 17:38 budrojr

Kajetan wrote on Oct 2, 2010, 16:15:
budrojr wrote on Oct 2, 2010, 16:05:
I agree with this article very much, however.
You do know, that this whole affair was only a viral marketing campaign from EA to hype the launch of the game?

I fail to see how pissing off a huge portion of your customer base is a wise marketing move. It's not like the game was unknown or anything. It already stood to sell a metric crapload of copies at launch. I think they got themselves caught between a rock and a hard place with no real good way out. On the one hand, if they don't cave to pressure, they jeopardize further involvement from the military which could lower the overall quality/realism of all future militaristic games. On the other hand, if they cave, they piss off the freedom of speech/games as an artform camp. I think they made the decision which would impact the long term situation the least. It's a tough call for them to make, and I disagree with their decision. As much as it irks me, I will still buy the game.

Suggestion to EA: Why not change the code so we can modify the name of EITHER force to whatever we want? Then you could have Taliban V. Tier 1, pirates v. ninjas, or whatever. Best way to deal with it is to make it a total non-issue for either side.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Oct 2, 2010, 16:05 budrojr

[VG]Reagle - "A few years ago the Taliban were our best friends. We trained them and armed them to fight the Russians. Now they are the "enemy" lol."

So you're saying that the enemy of our enemy should always be our friend? I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. Or was that just an observation?

I don't believe the Taliban were EVER our friends. I think they were a tool the CIA very foolishly used. In retrospect it seems they picked the wrong "enemy" to work against.

I agree with this article very much, however. It seems that the top brass have forgotten that they are supposed to be protecting the ideals of this country, not subverting them. Their decision is unfortunately very un-American and highly regrettable. It is just as regrettable that the developers caved on this matter, although I understand their position.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo