Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for avianflu

Real Name avianflu   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname avianflu
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 2, 2010, 18:08
Total Comments 1309 (Pro)
User ID 55926

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
24. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:38 avianflu

For years and years the "editors in charge" kept hiring college students to do one-off reviews that were (often) really really terrible.

A profound lack of editorial direction drove me away from these websites.

I am not sorry to see these 3 websites go. I am better off reading Amazon reviews.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 09:26 avianflu

Far too risky to spend 500 bucks and find out you bought something loaded with next gen DRM. Wont know for sure until consumers actually can buy them, take them home, and turn them on. I'd be very wary to pre-buy.

Remember it is not just what is said by the PR folks, but what isnt said:

Is game activation over the internet mandatory for every disk-based title? Will used-games in some way need to be registered on the internet and SONY before they will actually play? What exactly happens when the console is in off-line mode? Are there any caveats to that mode other than the obvious ones? Do you have to be already online in order to activate offline mode? etc. Sony has already thought about all of these ideas and more.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2013, 09:34.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 16:28 avianflu

The current 360 GUI is so annoying it actively deters me from turning it on at all.

The PS3 was a real disappointment but largely because it lacked the interesting exclusives that the PS2 had all of the time.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 09:25 avianflu

+1 to Peteham. Couldnt agree more about that: pretty much insta-kills the gameplay.

Never understood the appeal of Crysis after they made the fairly impressive Far Cry 1.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Feb 19, 2013, 13:36 avianflu

FOT -- some great ideas but all of the maps (except 2 defensive maps) were "gauntlet" maps where you are compelled to walk down the street and everything shoots at you. And that got old pretty fast.  

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Feb 19, 2013, 13:23 avianflu

The biggest red flag was in October when a few key leads left the project, after some others had already left. You never know the whole story when these things happen but it leaves me very wary about the title.

for more info google "two-more-irrational-staffers-leave-bioshock-infinite-team"

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 19, 2013, 10:10 avianflu

Far Cry 1, for its time of release, was a brilliant 9 out of 10 game. The scalable engine was impressive too.

Havent liked anything of theirs since sadly.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 avianflu

i'm gonna call it: this game had lots of internal issues and lots of delays amd with a large budget no less. It will suck big time.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Impire
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 avianflu

my kind of game but will wait for lots of reviews  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 11:26 avianflu

Perhaps even more important to Nintendo, the wii U is not selling well in Japan either

http://bgr.com/2013/01/11/nintendo-wii-u-sales-analysis-289621/

If it continues, it is not impossible to see the Wii U discontinued in 2014. Lack of 3rd party support is a big red flag.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
16. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:02 avianflu

I think we have to embrace the fact that linux is what it is now in 2013, rather than the giant promise that it held 15-20 years ago.

Anything like a Steam client would have been anathema in the old days -- when open source was the bedrock of the internet -- but these days? Everything is closed system and retail.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
34. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 13:06 avianflu

Multiple firings like that dont happen unless there was some area of notable and chronic dysfunction.

We'll never know the whole story.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 12:10 avianflu

I have tried repeatedly to like JRPG's because I like turn-based. So I have really really tried. But the hyper-adolescent plots are a big reason I avoid them. Its not like Mass Effect is the most mature story ever, but that is wholesale better than the characters and stories we get in jrpg's. Kuni looks amazingly artful, but I personally cannot get past the characters.  

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
51. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 13, 2013, 12:03 avianflu

Lobster wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 14:23:
Ugh. I loved everything about Fallout: New Vegas EXCEPT for New Vegas.

Really agree -- the weakest part of an otherwise great game was LV itself. The "city" area was small and underwhelming. There was nothing city-like about it. Hopefully the devs realize this?

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 avianflu

Are we looking at the next video game console market crash?

I am beginning to wonder if there's enough consumers who actually want these new ultra-DRM-filled consoles.

Sure some will buy them but enough of them?

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
10. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 avianflu

Hands down one of my fave games of all time.

A++ for the sense that you are exploring 2 large derelict spaceships where anything can be just around the corner.

SS1 was rather exceptional too, and its a shame it doesnt get more love.

On the other hand, I've played SS2 3 times, so there's really no need to play it again.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2013, 13:11 avianflu

I have found that freemium games are not actually fun -- bottomline. They are totally off my radar these days.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 avianflu

You have to go back to the 1999 "A vs P" for a game that got the atmosphere and horror correctly:

Every 10 steps was a strategic decision and the aliens literally waited in the dark and then lunged. Only problem is that there was no save option in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIYfU-j-gf4

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
5. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 12:11 avianflu

Unless they use a new engine, I am not sure how interested I would be.

NV was great but the engine was showing its age in every. possible. way.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 11, 2013, 15:53 avianflu

smartTV is the "selling feature" of the moment for TV's.

Almost completely bogus since the firmware-based apps will be supported for maybe 2 years max.

1309 Comments. 66 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo