Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for GarrettTX1

Real Name GarrettTX1   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 31, 2010, 23:18
Total Comments 25 (Suspect)
User ID 55920

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month
10. Re: PC Alan Wake’s American Nightmare This Month May 9, 2012, 11:04 GarrettTX1

Found this article to be pretty interesting (not certain of the vailidity of it..) from MMGM: PC Gamers Saved The Alan Wake Franchise (excerpts below)
Alan Wake has been a successful adventure for Remedy and PC gamers; in just 48 hours the Finnish developer managed to recoup marketing and development costs, debuted at number one on the Steam charts, and has captivated the long forgotten PC audience. Not bad for a game that launched two years prior as an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Regardless of launch issues and piracy, the title has managed to shift 1.4 million units since launch, which isn't exactly outstanding. Considering a large number of those units would be free download tokens included with Xbox 360 consoles during a Christmas promotion held by Microsoft, it seems that the 360 version of the game was a complete failure when it comes to sales.

Then along comes the PC port two years later, which managed to sell like proverbial hotcakes on a Sunday morning. Despite managing to recoup all marketing and development costs in just 48 hours, less than a month after launch the PC version had sold approximately 600,000 to bump the franchise up to 2 million sales across both platforms.

Considering a lengthy development period of five years, the cost of developing the Xbox 360 version would have been exorbitant. Those 1.4 million sales would have been lucky to break even, no matter how much Microsoft Game Studios subsidised the development process. Yet in just two days, Alan Wake became profitable for the developers on the PC platform. That's definitely something worth taking note of.

So considering the original title sold approximately 1.4 million on the Xbox 360, the adoption rate of this stand-alone title is a mere 3.93%. Considering the recently released Trials: Evolution managed to ship 100,000 units during its first 24 hours, some could consider Alan Wake's American Nightmare a mediocre performer once again from a sales standpoint.

With the announcement that PC gamers will also get their chance to jump head first into the twisted world of American Nightmare in less than two weeks, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out. While Xbox 360 gamers had to wait two years for another taste of Alan Wake, PC aficionados have only had to wait two months.

Alan Wake may have visited the Xbox 360 first, but he found a home on the PC. It is through his new home that Remedy can sleep easy at night, knowing that someone out there is willing to vote with their wallet for more adventures and stories from our favourite novelist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
11. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:56 GarrettTX1

Have to agree - this is looking more like Crysis 2.1 (sadly IMO) than the original Crysis (and Warhead somewhat). IE: Big beautiful levels with human opponents where multiple approaches (like stealth) could be used tactically to approach/finish the level(s).

Looks more like the shoot/blow everything up that all the lil kiddies (ie: the current target audience for pubs/devs...) like nowadays...

Would be great to hear more "Die Mr Yankee Zankee..." comments from human opponents AI in Crysis 3...

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999
17. Re: BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999 Jan 19, 2012, 16:01 GarrettTX1

Have to admit I had such high hopes for Bioshock 2 - mostly because Jordan Thomas was chosen as the creative director - who IMO, created (with Randy Smith of LGS) one of the most immersive levels (and scariest) ever - Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue
8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue Aug 30, 2011, 11:38 GarrettTX1

Another clue from STEPHANE D'ASTOUS Twitter page:
DXHR's treasure hunt ... i have been told to tweet this important message "a d / u k / w 0" ... good luck to all

LOL, after they have to give like 10+ "clues" - maybe they'll decode the message that this might have been a fail marketing "important message coming soon DX consumers!..." plan..

If this is some kind of "DLC on the way - so get out your credit cards..." thing - would guesstimate this will be one big backfire..

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
38. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 20:56 GarrettTX1

REPI (from DICE) refuted these earlier today on the Beyond3d Forums
FAKE. We haven't announced any system requirements yet

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution in August?
1. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution in August? Mar 8, 2011, 10:08 GarrettTX1

Sheesh - why not go all the way out & make it a Xmas release? Wry

With their aggressive marketing push lately IMO (and long lead up to this point) - I've been steering away from the tons-o-previews and videos not to spoil the game & now they plan to drag it out another 5 months and keep it hyped/gamers interested all that time?

I'm planning to purchase the game & hyped for it - but think they're making a big mistake by promoting it so much lately and then pushing it that far out.

News Comments > Thief 4 Image
33. Re: Thief 4 Image Feb 25, 2011, 18:13 GarrettTX1

Zoom wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 11:40:
You missed one of the most awesome and frightening video game missions of all times, Shalebridge Cradle...
+100. Jordan Thomas (with Randy Smith's help..) may have created one of the scariest, most immersive game levels ever IMO. And with Eric Brosious on the sound - it's flat out amazing IMO. Told a lot of my friends who were considering Deadly Shadows - it wasn't that great, but to buy the game just for The Cradle level.

Longtime Thief/LGS fanboy here - so ultra hyped for anything Thief again & also think DE:HR looks pretty good so far as well...

News Comments > Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans
2. Re: Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans Feb 4, 2011, 12:38 GarrettTX1

Seeing as the game is crashmania and stuttersville for me (no issues whatsoever in Fallout 3 though) - pretty much gave up on trying to finish it & thus, think I'll pass on a DLC unless it's more patch than DLC.

Bethesda forums has also been pretty much a ghost town IMO for the developers discussing/addressing the issues - so don't really want to support them either by purchasing more of their NV products...

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas DLC Clues
8. Re: Fallout: New Vegas DLC Clues Jan 8, 2011, 13:08 GarrettTX1

Can't run NV for more than an hour or so w/o a CTD & stutters like crazy (none of which happens in FO3). Yeah sure - I'm gonna run out and buy a DLC for it... Nono  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion
28. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Sells $1 Billion Dec 21, 2010, 16:39 GarrettTX1

necrosis wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 15:21:
You would think with $1 Billion they could fucking fix the PC version by now.
QFT +1. Of course when they release the first DLC and all the sheeple line up again to purchase it in droves (edit: for 5 *new* small maps) - Treyarch will probably promise us the fix is in there with the DLC.

"Treyarch is a PC Developer" and Black Ops is a "true PC title"? Um, please just start to show me & stop telling me this Treyarch....

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2010, 16:45.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam Dec 19, 2010, 01:03 GarrettTX1

Some folks had to go into the Gamesettings.ini file (in Vista it's in User\User\Documents\BFBC2\Gamesettings.ini) and change the command below to 1 to get the radio to play in the vehicles.

CarRadio=1

Overall, finding it's a blast to play - but the lag & crazy hitcode is still there on some servers as I would expect it to be - since it's still basically BFBC2.

Have to say it's a steal IMO for $15 & a lot of fun. Was getting bored with Blops & New Vegas keeps CTDing on me - so enjoying it muchas...

News Comments > Warface Footage
4. Re: Warface Footage Dec 14, 2010, 13:44 GarrettTX1

Can't wait to see the CryEngine 3 in action....

Here's a link to see in HD: PCGamesHardware.DE Video Link

EDIT: HD Version on Youtube: Link

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patch Next Week
4. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patch Next Week Dec 10, 2010, 14:12 GarrettTX1

Was going to buy it on day one - but thankfully read the Bethesda forums for a few days first. Also, almost grabbed it yesterday - but will hold of until after it's released and then can read their forums again for a few days....

Not sure what the term "QA" actually means to game developers anymore...

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Dec 1, 2010, 17:34 GarrettTX1

Just FYI - seems the all clear alarm has sounded again:

EvenBalance Update:
Wednesday 12.01.2010 [11:30AM]

We have confirmed that some of the kicks for violation numbers 132110, 132352, and 132322 made during the past few hours were caused by something other than the presence of a cheat. We encourage server admins to give players the benefit of the doubt and not ban players for these violations.
PBBans (Everson) update:
#EvenBalance have requested PB Hack Violations #132110, #132322 and #132352 to be removed from ban lists. These have now been lifted @PBBans

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch
16. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch Nov 30, 2010, 13:42 GarrettTX1

Just FYI - four new maps available for play tomorrow (12/1) and Vietnam on 12/21 (or 12/18 if you pre-order).

BFBC2 Blog Link w/Map Pack 7 Release Trailer

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch Tomorrow
6. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Patch Tomorrow Oct 29, 2010, 00:31 GarrettTX1

so why is the patch 900mb ?
Very long discussion/explanation from Kalms @ DICE on cooking things in the Frostbite Kitchen...

EA UK Forums Link

News Comments > Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned
15. Re: Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned Oct 25, 2010, 13:48 GarrettTX1

Right now - I'd be happy if they did anything with the hit regs. They've gotten soo goofy (for me) that I gave up playing the thing. Also thought the hit regs in the MOH Beta (didn't buy the game) were better.

Although the hit regs seemed to get goofy IMO after some of the server updates where Mr. Lag & Mr. Rubberbanding also showed up to the party. They were pretty decent for a while before the recent patches IMO - so will be happy to check out these to see if it helps.

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
43. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Oct 21, 2010, 15:12 GarrettTX1

Just FYI - Johan Andersson of DICE (think his alias is Repi) has posted some very informative Powerpoints on Frostbite/the Game Development Engine process (including how the base has to be designed for consoles) and just thought I'd post the link here for those who may not have seen it/want to check it out.

Slideshow: Parallel Futures of a Game Engine V 2.0

They also have a lot more technical PowerPoint presentations for public viewing on their main Swedish website: www.dice.se

News Comments > Thief Source Code Recovered?
6. Re: Thief Source Code Recovered? Oct 16, 2010, 20:16 GarrettTX1

Probably one of my favorite games & messed with the editor (Dromed) as well - but doubt Eidos will even consider doing so & especially with Thief 4 supposedly in development.

Still play Thief 2 FM's to this day & tons of excellent ones out there to play IMO - could literally play for months for those who haven't ever done so...

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer
4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Trailer Oct 2, 2010, 15:03 GarrettTX1

LOL, why don't game developers just come out of the closet already & say they are focusing most of their game development on the 12-15 year kid market - you know those people that shouldn't even be playing their games anyway?

Same netcode crap in BFBC2 (and similar games) - write it for console first (ie: the 100 ms lag between the console and hand held) and hopefully it will work on PC also...

25 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo