Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for w34sl3

Real Name w34sl3   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 25, 2010, 16:35
Total Comments 36 (Suspect)
User ID 55907

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 23:28 w34sl3

No,no,no. Please stop this idea PCmag.com. EA dont you listen to a word they say (Not that they will anyways). You keep on protecting yourself from those terrible pirateses. DRM is the wave of the future and there you are riding that wave of protection on your intellectial property. You have a right, nay and obligation to your shareholders to protect thier interests. If there are a few bumps in the road when a new IP ships well the customer can just wait until the issue is resolved.
Look this is new territory and there are bound to be some trials along the way. I mean what does the customer expect, you to build large server farms just to beta what thousands of people logging in at one time would do? I dont think so, that stuff is expensive and it cuts into profits. Profits are what your shareholders expect, so its best to deliver.
Hey if Activision and Ubisoft can have it in thier games, then dang gum, so can you. Oh sure they had some problems in the begining, but look at all those sales from bringing back dead IP's. And just think after a year you can turn off those servers when no one plays that game, or even better migrate them to next years version of the same game. I mean its not like your shipping a game that doesnt work as advertised or anything, like some kind of Acclaim software or something. Its just a minor glitch in your DRM grand sceme, it will get worked out, besides once it starts working all those whining customers will come right back. Yep EA your on the right track, the true path, those other nilly willy companys might balk at DRM or the customer backlash, but not you EA, nope you need to stand strong, keep on the path and dont listen to anyone in your beta forums. How many of those little people really know what thier talking about anyway. If they were so smart they would be making thier own games, right? Right. Now get back to working on next years version of SIMcity and let those networking guys clean up that server mess, you got profits to make and future IP's to plot out.

"Give a man enough rope and he'll hang himself."
-American Proverb quotes

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB?
8. Re: Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB? Nov 14, 2012, 12:11 w34sl3

After reading it all I can think of is the matrix....

Cliffy B picks up the phone and it rings...

Cliffy: Hello.
Morpheus: Hello, Cliffy. Do you know who this is?
Cliffy: Morpheus.
Morpheus: Yes. I've been looking for you, Cliffy. I don't know if you're ready to see what I want to show you, but unfortunately you and I have run out of time. They're coming for you, Cliffy, and I don't know what they're going to do...

heh

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2012, 13:26 w34sl3

I can agree with you that running the ball will lead to him getting hurt. Just look at QB's who have ran alot in the past and you can see then getting crunched. But I think he proved he had the ability to be a QB in the league when he beat the steelers with his arm. You can say they were an injured team or what not, but that didnt make Tebow throw any better. It just made the game plan work better, tebow still had to make the throws. So he has the ability, like alot of QB's coming out of college, its a matter of developing into a better QB than just a quick look and run guy.  

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans
6. Re: Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans Mar 4, 2012, 06:18 w34sl3

I have been enjoying this game as well. The one thing that I think would help a bit is more ways to manipulate your nieghbors. Like starting a war with someone. You can only plant false claims, unless you happen to have some former claim by birth or title. So you end up waiting around for one of your false claims to take. I would like to see more plots that allow the player to attack thier nieghbors, for whatever made up reason. *On a side note I havent tried to send my priest to some elses land to hunt for heretics yet, might just delcare said ruler as one. Wonder if that would work?*

Speaking of ways to manipulate people , why cant I get my vassels to attack each other? I mean if a vassel is a problem, why cant I "suggest" to my other vassels how I would be favorable to others if said first vassel just happened to be killed. Better yet why cant I have a festival and invite my neighbors only to insult one in a plot that I know will start a war. More to the point, I should have more ways to manipulate my nieghbors into wars. At least it would spice up the game a bit.

All in all though I think it is a fun game still.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day
20. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 12:04 w34sl3

ASeven wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 11:46:
I think PC Gamer's score on DA2 pretty much made me lose quite a lot of respect for them. Considering they've lambasted other games before for less I wonder what the hell happened.

I agree, except I lost respect for PC Gamer awhile ago. Caused me to post on a message board for the first time. Then I got called a shill cause I didnt agree with the masses. Happens sometimes I suppose.

It just as apparent now as it was then, how PC Gamers reviews are decided, by he who shells out the money.

News Comments > EA Departures
2. Re: EA Departures Feb 16, 2011, 12:21 w34sl3

I agree with you, like having the strongest portfolio matters when your upper management is full of guys who dont have a clue.

This story sounds like the same regurgitated speach we hear from EA every so many years. "Oh we really dropped the ball, but we are going to do much better now." Yeah ok, if that was really the case then they wouldn't have a continual track record of the same failing practices.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2011, 23:15 w34sl3

I actually think the article is right on. Not that every publisher will watch minecraft and learn, but quite a few upstarts will. Those who do watch and learn have an opertuinity to grab market share from the big players who dont.

We hear all these publishers talk about how expensive it is to make games and how they have to raise prices to remain competative. Yet here is a game that did nothing like the business model the big players are currently running and this company is making money.

The games success is in response to the market reacting to what it wants. You dont need fantastic graphics that look wonderful in screenshots and on the box. You do however need gameplay. I think its time to rethink how the resources of each game are divided up, with more focus being put on gameplay and less on flashy graphics. The telling fact that there a lack in gameplay depth, is the fact that this game has had so much success and it isnt even finished yet.

This kind of reminds me of how First Person Shooters used to be until Halflife came along. Hopefully publishers will look at minecraft and change how they focus thier gaming blueprints for what makes a triple A title. One can only hope.

News Comments > Homefront Crunch Time
10. Re: Homefront Crunch Time Jan 17, 2011, 12:30 w34sl3

You know, I have no sympathy for the complainers. I think David Votypka is right on with his comment. If you want compare where you are working 10 hours a day, seven days a week, to the rest of modern America, I think you will find your job much better than most. Think of all the industries out there that work either outside or without any form of climate control inside a large buidling. Hey winter isnt to bad working inside, but summers really suck. I am sure you could find lots that work 10-12 hour days seven days a week, for months at a time. Home builders come to mind, what about road contruction crews, and I am sure there are tons of manufacturing factories that are working much longer days now, rather than pay for more workers.

Seriously, how many of these complainers are salary guys, Hmm? Did you not know what you were signing on for? Did they lie to you in the interview and tell you they never have crunch time? Did you not understand the inductry you wanted to work in? Were you complaing for the almost two years you probably worked 8 hours a day while the project was coming together? Now that it is coming time to ship the product you are complaining becuase they want you to sacrafice your time for the beterment of the team?

BAH! That would be like military people whining once they started getting shot at..."they get to shoot back? thats not fair!" Come on.

You can talk all you want about how great a worker you are, but your true colors come out when the job goes to crap. If you cant stand in the trenches when the job gets tough, you probably dont deserve the job you have. I used to tell my workers, "If the job was easy everyday they would have called it fun, instead of work."

There are so many people in this country who work in worse conditions for just as many hours if not more, i cant even believe this is somehow news. We wont even touch the people and conditions outside this country.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
8. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 5, 2010, 21:37 w34sl3

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLBx9XOhsm8[/url] NSFW

A perfect example of why Jack Thompson is a egotistical blowhard.

News Comments > Elemental Patched
27. Re: Elemental Patched Sep 18, 2010, 16:40 w34sl3

mixma242 wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 22:54:
zodden wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 22:27:
At least Stardock continues to try and improve the game and fix it. Many companies abandon totally a project that's less then successful.

True, and that is one of the qualities that made Stardock's good reputation. They have been working hard under horrible stress for weeks at this point, and shown that they truly care.... but....

Elemental should never have been released in the first place. We all hear about buggy games, but seriously I have been playing computer games for twenty years and Elemental is on top of the list for 'bad state at release'. Good post release support does not excuse releasing garbage.

Stardock has veered into dangerous turf, and they have gotten zapped for it. They thought that any failings could be made up for in a quick 0day patch, and they planned their business strategy around that. An example is the multilayer - it is touted as a feature yet we now know they never intended to have that as a feature at release. They thought they would patch that in one week after release. Instead, the product is so distressed and they are so far behind that one month after release they still have not implemented it.

Yeah I am going to have to agree with you here, never should have been released. When you mentioned about the multiplayer it made me think they had to have known in beta that multiplayer was not going to make it even if they somehow fixed all the problems with a 0 day patch. Its almost like they ran into some huge problem that they just couldnt fix for weeks on end, or they put a ton of work into some features and then during beta abandoned them and went with a whole new set of features or gameplay.

I hear people talk about they should have extended beta till the game was finished, but I dont think that really applies here. I really feel like they should have extended the alpha, fleshed out the game play and then used beta only for stress testing. That way they are not setting a release date or co-ordinating with marketing on whats on the box, until they have a comfortable, stable game.

As for Civ 5, Sid Meier can keep his game with his vapor A.I. Thats so advanced it has to cheat in order to make a competent opponent. I mean Starcraft has better A.I. and its an RTS... Ofcourse I guess you could argue at least it has an A.I. unlike Elemental, and you would be right.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Jupiter's cock Sep 16, 2010, 05:22 w34sl3

space captain wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 21:15:
if you want to see a good show, go watch Spartacus: blood and sand

I started out thinking it would be some cheap starz/Sci-Fi channel bad production with horible CGI effects. But was suprised to find it was actually pretty good. I have much more respect for the actor from the Mummy(John Hannah) after watching him in this. He really plays a good bastard.

Is there a time table for the continuation of the series? They seem to have left the door open for there to be more.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2010, 17:36 w34sl3

The real problem exists between the publisher(marketing) and the developer(production), yet the customer gets screwed. This sounds like every other business on the planet. The reality is when there is a stranglehold on a form of business, people will find a new way to do the same thing that is being used against them. Ala digital distribution, which is why things like Steam, Impulse, etc will only continue to grow. On the console side, the same thing can be seen with Microsoft and I imagine Sony(I don't know about PS3). Just like Netflix burst blockbuster and Hollywood video's bubbles, so will downloadable digital content smack the retailers and publishers around.

I am really surprised we don't see a game service like steam from EA or some of the other publishers. I mean clearly the trend is coming, just look at traditional books. Book publishers are taking a hit with the emergence of Ebooks(kindle,etc), especially with authors being able to get a better royalty deal than they can with traditional book publishers. You would think with the writing on the wall that these gaming publishers would be all over those emerging revenue streams, yet that doesn't seem to be the case.

News Comments > Neverwinter Interview
14. Re: Neverwinter Interview Sep 14, 2010, 20:55 w34sl3

This is kind of sad to see as the first Neverwinter Nights was a blast and yes I played it mostly single player. Has anything made by Cryptic Studios really been triple A yet? If I were looking for someone to make a game for me, I dont think they would be on my list. Nothing they have done has really been stellar. I dont really blame them for StarTrek, They got handed a half finished game and then were asked to hit a deadline. I would have respected them more if they would have turned it down.

So really after hearing they are making the new game, I dont have much hope for it. I will still be watching, but I wont be holding my breath.

News Comments > The Bible Online Beta
47. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 11:10 w34sl3

InBlack wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 10:29:
Im not trying to disprove God here. As far as I know there isnt a single scientist alive today who would even try that. He would be the laughing stock of the entire community. Both scientific and religious ones....

But science is making leaps and bounds. Its based on real, testifiable, experiments. Religion is based on.....faith? Belief?

Do we agree on that at least? I agree that people should be open minded, but saying "God did it" about anything isnt open minded. Its being blind, and is exactly the opposite of what science is about.

I understand your fear bro. I feel for you. But relax. No one is threatening your beliefs. They are your own, but they should have nothing to do with science, and any science based on beliefs cant be called science at all...

We can agree on that, I absolutly believe religion is based on faith and science is not. That a fundemental difference between the two. And yes science is based on testifable experiments.

I also agree people should be open minded, and there are close minded people who are religious and the same for those who are not.

I cant agree with saying "God did it" about something a person cant explain is being blind. That is part of faith, you either believe it or you dont. You may not agree with that and thats ok I dont think less of you for it. Your beliefs are your own as well.

Heh, I dont have any fear bro, just having an open converstation about science and beliefs. Its all good.

45. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 10:48 w34sl3

InBlack wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 10:22:
LoL Dude. Just because Science and scientific theories are constantly evolving doesnt make it into a belief.

Newton's theory of gravity. You know of it? Its a brilliant piece of mathematics. And it described the force of gravity nearly perfectly. I say nearly because it was supplanted by Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

Does that make Newton a fraud? Was he wrong? Theories are supplanted and improved upon constantly. Newton got many things right. That is the beauty of science. As we learn new things we constantly improve our knowledge of the universe. KNOWLEDGE not belief.

Once again you are using flawed logic here. You are saying that simply because we dont know EVERYTHING we cannot claim to know ANYTHING. And that my friend is pure and simple bull...

I am not saying that because we dont know everything we cannot claim to know anything. I am saying that just because we cannot test for something doesnt mean it isnt possible.

And I disagree again, your knowledge is based on what you believe to be the truth. What you have tested for and the results that those tests have returned.

I agree Newtons theory of gravity may be a wonderful piece of mathmatics, but he wasnt entirely correct. It dosent make him a fraud, just human, capable of being wrong. Just the same as Einstein was once you got to quantum mechanics if I recall correctly. I could be wrong here, getting a bit out of my knowledge base.

But the overall point being that your knowledge is based on your most current data. Yes alot of things may very well be correct. But your are more than likly to be wrong about some things too. Isnt it those possiblities that drive us to pursue things further?

42. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 10:04 w34sl3

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 08:46:
Science can no more prove there isnt a god, than prove there is one. And for all of the wonderful scientific discoveries that are made, science has a pretty good track record of being wrong, alot.

That's some seriously fifth grade logic right there, "well you can't prove it isnt so there!". That's essentially saying that anyone can simply say anything and if it can't be immediately disproven to everyone in the worlds satisfaction then it's automatically true. If that were anything but BS then you must by default accept every other faith, conspiracy theory and other idiocy that man can cook up. I'd also like to point out that most religious people don't actually practice that either, they only adapt it when its convenient for an argument. "Science" isn't about binary rights or wrongs, it's about accountable principles, research and the pursuit of scientific understanding of our universe.

That not fifth grad logic, thats questioning wether something can or cannot be possible. Your not simply saying "You cant prove it so there." Nor is it saying that anything that cant be disproven is automaticaly true. But if I cannot test something and disprove it, then it can be a possibility that I should account for wether its air temprature or a chemical lining, or anything else that might skew my data.

Oh and I agree there are alot of people out there who only want to beleive what they believe no matter what anyone else says, Wether they are religious or otherwise.

I agree with the last line, it isnt about being right or wrong, yet people still use it as proof that religious people are wrong for believing in god. Sad really, because alot of religious people believe almost anything is possible and every scientist should by default until he or she can prove otherwise.

41. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 09:41 w34sl3

InBlack wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 08:13:
My personnel favorite are scientists who dont believe in the possiblility of there being a god, yet believe in multiple dimensions. Ah gotta love bull headed people.

The extra dimensions are not (to the 4 we actually experience) "made up". Its not "belief". They are neccessary in the mathematical model that is used in some theories such as the superstring theory. Do you understand the difference?

I do understand the difference, my point was that someone would believe in something they cannot see, touch, or otherwise prove existed and yet use the same argument in reference to there not being a god. That is why its called a theroy and not a law. Even sceitific laws get proven wrong. Also I am talking about the possiblilty of there being a god, just as possible as there being mutiple dimensions.

InBlack wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 08:13:
Science has NOTHING to do with religion. Proving that scientists make mistakes is nothing exceptional or new. People make mistakes all the time. Please believe all you want. But do not bring logic or science into it. It has nothing to do with any of it.

This is where we disagree. It does when people use science for their proof that god dosent exist, the argument being that you cannot prove that a god exsits. At one time you couldnt prove atoms existed either, but they still existed. Perhaps we just havent found a way to prove god dosent exist yet. Perhaps we never will.

People do make mistakes all the time. That point being that scientist make mistakes just the same and are still capable of making them even with everything they know now. So science could be wrong and god could exist.

People's beliefs will always be threatened by science for one simple reason. Science is not about belief. It is about testability, logic and truth. In fact science exist so people dont have to believe, it exists so that they can KNOW.

For example I dont believe that the Earth is round. Or that it revolves around the Sun. I know those things.

Again I disagre, science is a belief, based a data collected and tested. It is not based on truth because science is not infallible and has proven to be wrong on beleived truths in the past. So your truth is only as good as your data.

Using your example: at one time Galileo tried to explain the same thing you know to someone standing on flat ground, watching the sun rise over the horizon. The man on the flat ground knew Galileo was wrong by the data he had available, the flat ground and the moving sun. Galileo was right, but it didnt appear so to the man standing on the ground.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 7, 2010, 08:17 w34sl3

More finger pointing. Its those video games corrupting our kids. Just like it was rock n roll and devil music, and anything popular with kids. Couldnt be that unhealthy fast food that is constandly targeted at our youth? Noooo. Including a toy in that kids meal isnt targeting children, it just good clean wholesome marketing! =D

I bet if you didnt feed a kid and only let him play video games he wouldnt be fat. Im pretty sure its the food intake that is the problem, not the video games.

News Comments > Stardock On Elemental's Future
25. Re: Stardock On Elemental's Future Sep 7, 2010, 07:49 w34sl3

ASeven wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 07:41:
Obvious shill is too fucking obvious.

Just because EA doesn't listen to the community are are thick and awful doesn't excuse the fact that Stardock is guilty of the exact fucking same. EA's failure is not an excuse for Stardock's obvious failure, it won't take them away and Stardock is even worse because they have that gamer's bill of rights which Brad managed to break almost every single point in it.

You are absolutly correct it fucking dosent!!!

Ok? Are we clear there? You wana cookie?

Are you a fucking shill?

Cause I sure the fuck aient!

Are we clear there too?

Anything else real cute you wana say sparky?

38. Re: The Bible Online Beta Sep 7, 2010, 07:26 w34sl3

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2010, 05:54:
True, unbiased science even points to a creator; systems are way to complex

Many things are complex but complexity alone doesn't imply anything. Ignorance is not an argument for a creator and this is exactly the reason why I can't take most religions seriously. Funny how that disappears in the face of undeniable scientific discovery yet religions adapt by trying to force science into their dogma or by ferociously attacking it.

YOU created something, therefore SOMETHING created YOU, therefore SOMETHING is GOD who created EVERYTHING...

It's simply religion trying to co-opt science because it cannot explain it. The more bull headed practitioners discovered awhile ago that Oh shit, this science stuff is really screwing us because our magical book can't explain 90% of it. So instead of trying to combat it directly, many times they will just try the "man was created by god therefore all science is god" crap.

I gotta say your are corrrect in stating that ignorance is not an argument for a creator. You either believe or your dont. But ignorance is also not an argument for there not being one either. Science can no more prove there isnt a god, than prove there is one. And for all of the wonderful scientific discoveries that are made, science has a pretty good track record of being wrong, alot.

I love science its awesome, but there should be a scientific law that says, if you discover something for the first time, you are inevidable wrong about it and that some other scientist will prove that later. It happens alot in the science field. We see stuff all the time where science proves something is possible that they were so sure wasnt possible before. Handfuls of experts will assure you that they are certain that their way is the real way and everyone else is wrong, no matter which side they are on. Thats on a topic science agrees on.

My personnel favorite are scientists who dont believe in the possiblility of there being a god, yet believe in multiple dimensions. Ah gotta love bull headed people.

You wana be an antheist, more power to you. Just dont bash me for not believing the same way you do. My bible says "Judge not and ye shall not be judged." I try real hard to stick to that.

As for the game, I dont know, isnt a Bible MMO a conflict of interest for christans? I mean arent you tempting them to do something? Are they going to have messages that remind you to log off after two hours or something? Tell you when you should be in bed according to your time zone? Wouldnt collecting gear/gold/anything, be materialistic?

I dont knock them for trying, I just think their design dock better be a WHOLE lot different than any other MMO's.

36 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo