Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 509 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners
9. Re: Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners Dec 19, 2013, 16:59 SimplyMonk

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 16:23:
Wetworks wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 15:39:
I bought Scrolls when it first came out but it wasn't worth it to me to keep playing it. For some unforgivable reason Scrolls doesn't work with Avast antivirus. I have to disable Avast just to play Scrolls, even after all these months the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Doesn't really matter, I'm having so much fun in Hearthstone that I doubt I'll ever go back to playing Scrolls.

I suspect I'll like Hearthstone more, too. But in the meantime Scrolls might hold me over.

I enjoy Hearthstone when I have 5 minutes to kill and want a quick game. The deck construction and play styles are very tightly controlled by Blizzard and their Deck-Class setup. You can't mix class spells at all so it is basically just WoW in card form. It is fun and easy though, if lacking in depth and strategy. A little too reliant on randomness for my sake though as there are a lot of cards which are pretty much "do nothing or win you the game" randomly. It is also very FTP in the sense that getting cards outside of dropping cash for them is very limited. Better than most, but they still have to make a buck.

Scrolls is more when you have 15-30 mins and want to play a deeper game with vastly more choices and diversity in strategy and deck construction. But it has the initial buy-in and a smaller community than Hearthstone which is made to appeal to the masses.

Each has their place and I enjoy both honestly, even though Hearthstone frustrates me more when playing because I feel like I'm constantly losing to the luck of the draw and randomness. Scrolls I lose because I get outplayed and didn't think enough turns ahead.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners
3. Re: Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners Dec 19, 2013, 12:11 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 11:02:
Isn't this a game in which you have to buy additional cards/packs?

Nope. In fact you can't spend any real money on cards except for the pre-constructed decks, cosmetic items and a random 6 individual card selection that gets refreshed every 3 days. Card packs can only be purchased with in-game currency.

All that stuff is also easily earn able through in-game currency. Might take you 2-3 hours whereas you could just drop $5 to buy a pre-constructed deck, but still doable.

By far my favorite TCG to date simply by the attitude and mechanics that Mojang is showing. Plus it is also the only deeply strategic TCG out there right now. Full deck customization, all factions can be mixed to your hearts content and combat takes place on a hex map rather then just lanes so positioning and movement are critical.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Multivitamins waste of money Dec 18, 2013, 13:21 SimplyMonk

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:08:
Multivitamins are a funny subject.

Exactly. Well said. They won't cure or prevent your cancer, but if you don't even know what an orange looks like, they keep your teeth from falling out.

That being said, most of the food you eat in America is fortified with a bunch of vitamins already so you most likely don't need to take any megadose vitamins, but a daily multi-vitamin won't hurt you in the least, especially if your diet isn't hitting your basic needs.

Plus if anything there is always the placebo effect that can have noted benefits on your mood and health.

News Comments > Two New Space Hulk Campaigns
4. Re: Two New Space Hulk Campaigns Nov 22, 2013, 17:27 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:04:
Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:14:
The reviews have been pretty poor for Space Hulk, but I've spoken to two different people who said the game is It's more a diamond in the rough than an out and out bad game from what I've heard.

Prez, I personally hate this game. The Space Marines miss shooting a target practically in their face with a flamer. I mean give me a break already. A flamer that is AOE and nukes the entire area and he misses an Alien. Thats when I just up and quit and said I had enough. There are other instance to similar to this one wit the Marines missing their target way to many times. So, I'm done with this shit title and wont spend another dime on it.

Well... it is a dice-based board game so... RNG. If I remember the board game correctly, I think the Genestealers get an armor save?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 14:49 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:59:
John wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:34:
Then I can use my phone or tablet to wirelessly control my PC to play anything I want.
How do you do that?

If you have an iOS device, you can use this Logitech app for free:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-mouse/id338237450

Works pretty well. I was able to play Scrolls and a few other turn based games when my daughter was a newborn and using me for a bed. Perfectly fine for navigating, browsing and loading up videos.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 12:30 SimplyMonk

Good luck for your pup!  

News Comments > Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm
20. Re: Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm Oct 18, 2013, 11:52 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 09:11:
MOBAs hit critical mass awhile ago and while I like Blizzard I have no interest in this.

I don't know. Saying MOBAs have hit critical mass is like saying Shooters reached critical mass when Quake 2 came out. Yeah. There are a number out there and we are kinda neck deep in MOBA options right now, but it is no different then when the Shooter, Adventure Game (Haunted Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island), MMORPG or other genres first hit the scene. There is still some potential for gems from companies that have the skills to pull it off well.

You can still count the number of successful MOBAs on one hand and I'm not all that bothered to see Blizzard throw their hat into this ring. Although, it will all come down to how much they want to set themselves apart from the rest of the genre. Do they just release a really polished, but cookie-cutter MOBA or try to push the envelope and release something unique?

Blizzard still has potential, even if their recent track record hasn't been up to snuff. Hearthstone itself I find rather disappointing compared to a game like Scrolls. Too much WoW in my card game and I mean that as a deck design methodology critique and not the fact that they use the same fluff.

Critical mass may well be achieved once the EA and DC Universe MOBA which are currently in BETA (I think?) hit the scene. Zynga's addition was at least interesting in the brevity of the matches. Chinese knock offs are right around the corner and those are usually a good indication of complete saturation.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
24. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 15:14 SimplyMonk

I was thinking if someone could abuse this by creating a new Steam account every time they purchase a title in order to get around the limitations of the 10 PCs and simultaneous playing of any two games in a single library, but then I realized you could already do this in the current environment with the added step of having to share the Steam account credentials with a friend.

All in all, this sounds intriguing, but not being able play any game in the library while my wife is playing any game in hers is very limiting. All you really are doing here is removing the need to pass around Steam Account credentials and earn achievements for your own account.

Obviously of benefit to people you don't feel comfortable giving your Steam credentials to or if you care about badges... But personally a little "meh".

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced
6. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Announced Sep 3, 2013, 11:44 SimplyMonk

Seeing as this is supposed to be a Space Hulk game, if you live longer than 4 seconds with a lone marine, you aren't doing it right. Although, this is supposed to be a Librarian so maybe 6 seconds is acceptable.

Curious if they are going to give you NPC squadmates or just have you fight a hive of neutered and brain dead genestealers to make up for the lack of support.

In all honesty though... Yay for more 40K video games. Here's hoping it turns out well.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 10:56 SimplyMonk

Gojo wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:53:
Ceribaen wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:42:
And EQ did it even before WoW did...

That's right. This is nothing new and certainly nothing to bitch about.

I've been bitching about it since EQ and feel fully justified in bitching about it still.

Sadly, besides bitching, all I can do is just not play their game. So take that, Bethesda!

News Comments > Blizzard TMs "The Dark Below"?
12. Re: Blizzard TMs Aug 13, 2013, 18:45 SimplyMonk

Kinda hope it is a WoW expansion. I like the HP Lovecraft theme it has going on. Implementation isn't the best, but who doesn't love beasts of insanity?  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2013, 16:26 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 14:49:
And if anyone is interested here are three beta keys for Card Hunter! A fantastic and addictive little browser based game that's TCG meets D&D. Really well done and addictive fun too.

... and there went about 30 minutes of me being productive today. Man. Will definitely be playing this more when I get home. Thanks a lot, Cutter!

All in all, this looks awesome.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 10:29 SimplyMonk

Just bought a house two months ago and we are avidly awaiting such expenditures. It will be a race too see what can bankrupt us first. Some massive expense that the inspections didn't uncover or our two huskies dismantling the backyard and hitting a gas main or something.

Although, I guess there is a chance they could find buried treasure or oil. So here is hoping for that!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Election Season Begins
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Election Season Begins Jul 16, 2013, 13:11 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 11:28:
So far I've been a huge fan of their content updates, but this is just terrible.

In what way? I haven't played GW2 in a few months, but this just seems to me to be an interesting way to hold an in-game poll for future content. Although, it does seem a little shallow. Four weeks and some mini-game?

News Comments > World of Warcraft Free Transfers
2. Re: World of Warcraft Free Transfers Jul 12, 2013, 13:14 SimplyMonk

My wife just started playing there after a friend paid for her to play for two months. I don't think Alliance even exist on that server. Tol Barad is 500 free honor for the Horde and all you have to do is stand around for 10 minutes.  

News Comments > End of Nations MOBA Beta Signups
2. Re: End of Nations MOBA Beta Signups Jul 12, 2013, 12:12 SimplyMonk

In addition to being horrible, technically, wasn't C&C4 the first MOBA RTS?  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Plans?
16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC Plans? Jul 8, 2013, 12:49 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 12:33:
I don't see why people are so angry here.

Selling a terrible game is bad.
Supporting ANY game for many months is good.

I think people are mad because they feel Gearbox isn't really supporting the game with the intention of making their customers happy, but more with the goal of doing the bare minimum to fulfill their contract and not get sued.

News Comments > NPD Digital Tracking Coming
4. Re: NPD Digital Tracking Coming Jul 3, 2013, 14:22 SimplyMonk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:03:
So they're going to TOTALLY become more accurate with digital sales but openly admit they won't be tracking everyone (very likely Steam isn't a part of this since they don't give numbers to anyone) and won't say who their partners are.

Their partners are going to be Publishers that are willing to release their digital sales data for Steam, GamersGate, Origin, Direct2Drive, ect.

The sales data belongs to Publishers when it comes to digital storefronts. Not to the storefronts themselves. With retail it was different because the retailers has to buy the units first themselves and then sell them for markup. Here, the storefront just gets a % of the revenue with each sale.

No storefront would release all their client's sales data as a whole, but if you can get a sizable share of the big digital publishers then it could be a very relevant figure.

News Comments > Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two
12. Re: Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two Jun 28, 2013, 11:18 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 11:02:
So a dev has to choose between delaying his game months, not doing a demo, or doing a demo post launch. The first option is kind of dumb, and the last option is kind of dumb, so they go with the middle option, which seems the least dumb.

Unless you are trying to fleece people with shovelware, I'd almost say that releasing a demo post release is probably the better way to go. You get your game out on time, you have the opportunity to judge if your game is even worth doing a demo for based on initial sales and then if you have the extra revenue you can launch a demo to try and snag those individuals that require a demo to make a game purchase.

Although, you might be right in that a post launch demo is kinda useless today in a world of YouTube video reviews and game play shots. Plus the person needing a demo could always just borrow the game from a friend or play it at their house. Taking those two into consideration, maybe a demo isn't worth it unless you know your game is super solid, you have a good strategy to develop it and you want to boost your release week sales.

News Comments > Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two
7. Re: Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two Jun 28, 2013, 10:58 SimplyMonk

Yeah. Just looking at the top level of that data set, it is fairly misleading making a blanket statement like that. You really need to cut the data by review scores and compare apples to apples to really get any meaningful insight into the impact of demos on a game's life cycle.

Basically though, if you have an ass game that you don't want people to know isn't worth their money, don't make a demo and you might be able to sucker some extra people in.

For the consumer, don't buy a game unless you've played a demo, it has some good reviews from reviewers you have trusted in the past or you are willing to accept a horrible experience.

That last point I know all too well from playing Operation Darkness. The game had a lot of issues... but Werewolves and Vampires in WWII? Fuck yeah!

509 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo