Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 451 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
42. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 20:35 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 20:13:
Untrue. Agnostics don't believe in anything. Atheisms believe that there are no gods.
Still a belief.

There are many forms of atheism and varying degrees of affirmation. Technically you are both right... or wrong?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
40. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 20:03 SimplyMonk

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:57:
You'll be disappointed. What most people don't realize is that science is just another religion.

Science isn't a religion. It might appear to be at times, but only because we, as humans, are so bad at living up to its ideals. The same could be said for religion itself in that most of them have inherently beneficial aspects to them, but they are abused and distorted from their ideals.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that humanity sucks and is the reason we can't have nice things.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 15:18 SimplyMonk

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:37:
Loot lag, Captain Placeholder, server queues, server outages. You don't remember bending down to loot a corpse of something you killed and being stuck there for a couple of minutes because the database servers had to catch up?

I literally remember none of that except server queues. I played Horde on a low-pop RP server at the time if I recall correctly though (Silver Hand). Rather, I think the Horde side was low-pop. Anecdotal experience being what it is, your mileage obviously varied as my experience was rather good compared to previous MMOs I'd played on launch day.

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:12:
Trying to fly a plane was a literal slideshow.

My favorite was flying low with your landing gear down, clipping tanks with your wheels and flipping them over. Although, 90% of the time you just plowed right into the tank and ground.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 15:24.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:26 SimplyMonk

Because I find it hilarious:

World of Shadowbane

Apparently a Chinese company bought the rights and source code for Shadowbane and are remaking it? I don't even know.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Meh. WoW really shouldn't of been on there. Personally, it was one of the smoother launches that I ever participated in. Wait Queues were the only thing annoying that came to mind.

Anarchy Online was a complete mess though and when they patch things, they actually made it worst. One of the patches actually made it so Level 4-10 mobs casts Level 200 spells... either killing you in one shot or making them invincible with shields and heals.

WoW should be replaced by Shadowbane or the even more hilarious launch, WWII: Online. Both had horrible launches. I'm sure there are a large number of little MMOs that were even worst. I guess WoW is there because it is WoW?

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
51. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 14:19 SimplyMonk

*Profitable  

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
34. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 16:55 SimplyMonk

Going to need more stretch goals.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2013, 18:39 SimplyMonk

mag wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 18:14:
So, so useful.

so that changes everything we are not being able to collect so much of the inside on the game itself the gameplay and the game are that we have to rethink all of fundamentalism shins off the past again like battlefield for example now on a typical day generates or one tera bytes of data from all the time to meet really have about

Technology! *jazz hands*

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2013, 15:13 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:57:
SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:11:
EA CTO talks about the "Big Data" that their online games are generating and what they are doing with it. More of an architecture discussion for handling big data sets than anything else, but thought that some here might find it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK_PXlbvOfM

I wish people would still offer transcripts. I can read much faster than people can talk, but yet nowadays all these things make me sit through videos...

Creston

Youtube has a built in Transcripts option. It is next to "About", "Share" and "Add To". It is the little icon that looks like a drop down menu.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2013, 14:11 SimplyMonk

EA CTO talks about the "Big Data" that their online games are generating and what they are doing with it. More of an architecture discussion for handling big data sets than anything else, but thought that some here might find it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK_PXlbvOfM

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2013, 16:21 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:52:
nin wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:23:
Yeah, it's not a blanket cure for everyone. But we're making progress, and that's whats awesome.

Zackly! Think I'ma go out and bareback a 5 dollar whore in celebration!

Warning: Herpes, HPV and Hepatitis B are still incurable.

If you already have the aforementioned though, go wild!

News Comments > Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal
2. Re: Blizzard Planning PAX East Reveal Feb 27, 2013, 20:02 SimplyMonk

With HoN, DotA2 and LoL kicking around out there, another Arena-RTS game isn't something that is that groundbreaking. Even though the genre was born in War3, they haven't done anything to really grow it.

Oh yeah. There is SMITE too. Haha.

News Comments > Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale
20. Re: Homeworld and Remaining THQ IPs for Sale Feb 27, 2013, 13:15 SimplyMonk

I was hoping for a WH40K Gothic game that was in a similar vein to Homeworld. Sadness that it never happened.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2013, 16:15 SimplyMonk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:44:
Quboid wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:14:
...is there anything wrong with Win8?
Besides metro? Nope. You gut that out, and it's a cleaner OS than 7.

Don't even see why you have to gut it. It is fairly easy to ignore, although it does slow down your start up as none of your desktop programs will run until you head to your desktop. Metro has been useful to me if for nothing else than a faster way to get to Netflix. Pretty much the only App I even used though. The built in Messenger needs to be rethought completely though.

News Comments > More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage
18. Re: More Cancelled Aliens RPG Footage Feb 20, 2013, 15:57 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 15:04:
Are there good freeform survival/escape games that set the example?

I thought Amnesia was fairly free-form in how you deal with certain encounters although the easy answer was hide in the dark until the scary thing went away. The solutions to the puzzles as well were pretty straight forward and intuitive or otherwise optional.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Shown
26. Re: Battlefield 4 Shown Feb 20, 2013, 13:56 SimplyMonk

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 13:53:
I still miss having frigates/cruisers/subs from 1942.

I miss just driving around in my jeep in Battlefield: Vietnam running over people and listening to the radio/soundtrack.

War! huh-yeah
What is it good for?
*THUMP* AIEEEE!
Absolutely nothing
Say it again y'all

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2013, 12:23 SimplyMonk

It also has the Nook although not exactly profitability it at least gives the cheaper versions of the Kindle some competition. I doubt it makes a difference for the sales of the Kindle Fire or iPad though.

But yeah. I doubt that will save them as it sounds like it is being mismanaged.

News Comments > Humble Bundle Mojam 2 Today
1. Re: Humble Bundle Mojam 2 Today Feb 20, 2013, 12:16 SimplyMonk

I cured my addiction to buying every game that comes up on my Steam Wishlist when it goes on any sort of sale when I don't have time to play them. I've replaced it, however, with an addiction to throw $5-10 at my screen every time a Humble Indie Bundle is posted. Even when I have no clue what I'm buying.

Baby steps.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2013, 14:07 SimplyMonk

You peripherals mean nothing to me. Anything that receives signals from a device can be configured to accept them from another device. Been playing console shooters with my XIM Edge (Keyboard/Mouse Adapter for the 360/PS3) for a few months now and loving it.

http://store.xim3.com/XIM-EDGE_p_12.html

Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 12:51:
Yup, not sure where he's getting his information from. Yeah, you can bootstrap a mouse to an Xbox and it won't work properly (it's like a stick instead), but the PS3 has full mouse support.

Not to sound too much like a salesman for the XIM, but it works exactly as you would expect a mouse and keyboard to work for any PC shooter. You have to do some configuration and some of the more esoteric Keyboards/Mouses don't work with it, but when you get it configured right it works like a dream. My wife isn't a programmer, although fairly tech savy, and she was able to configure it and set it up to play COD: Zombies with her Dad in about 10 minutes. Went from dying constantly to topping the leaderboard now and again.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2013, 14:13.

News Comments > Destiny PC Clue
14. Re: Destiny PC Clue Feb 19, 2013, 14:04 SimplyMonk

What? Shooters don't work with keyboard and mouse? Man. That XIM Edge I bought to use a keyboard and mouse with Halo and COD: Zombies for my 360 must not be working out completely fantastic for me then. I could of sworn it was and I was pretty sure I loved it.

Thanks for setting me straight, Bungie.

451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo