Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 633 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2015, 18:22 SimplyMonk

Not excited about these picks, but then again I don't know many female comedians that could fill the roles well so I guess we'll see how it goes.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 8bitMMO Launches
4. Re: 8bitMMO Launches Jan 27, 2015, 10:57 SimplyMonk

If they can find an audience, more power too them. Content and features don't look that intriguing though. If I have to tolerate that level of graphics I need something more to grab me or at least Dwarf Fortress level detail.  

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
6. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 14:04 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:36:
I got excited for a second I thought they were going to try rocket wall jumping.
Ah well.

Although equally predictable, that I'd watch.

Graham wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:52:
COMMENTER_SENSE_OF_FUN.EXE corrupt or not found. RETRY Y/N

We are old men who like to complain. Suck it.

But really? Their tag line is "Can someone carry a lot of heavy shit?" It's a bad sign when common sense answers your myth easily.

If they had gone a rocket or grenade jump approach like SpectralMeat suggested I would of reserved my comment since explosions are fun to watch.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
1. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 13:08 SimplyMonk

Is it really possible for someone to carry all those health packs, guns, and even a chainsaw?

No. Because Physics. Busted! Thanks for watching.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2015, 15:22 SimplyMonk

$4.50 in Station Cash and I have to print the form and mail it in. Pass.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2015, 12:13 SimplyMonk

Hey. This guy is an expert on over-promising. If anyone knows the danger that this brings, Molyneux, Over-Promise PHD, does. When he says those words, make sure you listen.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
20. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 22, 2015, 13:42 SimplyMonk

Jerykk wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:27:
The Evolve director is really missing the point. Characters affect gameplay. The player who owns all the characters is going to have an advantage over the player who doesn't, simply by virtue of being able to pick the best character for any given situation. And let's not pretend that all the characters are going to be perfectly balanced. Some characters will always be better than others, as has been the case in every game ever released.

What's really irritating is that Evolve, a $60 game, is charging for characters whereas DotA2 and LoL, both F2P games, offers them for free. If 2K wants to sell DLC for Evolve, they should just sell cosmetic items. Nobody would complain then.

Completely agree. I enjoyed my time with Evolve during the Alpha, but it is something to me that I'd want to be F2P with monsters/hunters being sold separately or unlocked through play. Skins or whatever else would be straight cash.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 22, 2015, 12:46 SimplyMonk

Quboid wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:02:
* Well, nearly everything (from That Mitchell & Webb Show).

... and now I'll annoy everyone by referring to the Nixon scandal as Watergategate from this point on as it is the only thing that makes sense anymore.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack
13. Re: Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack Jan 21, 2015, 09:25 SimplyMonk

Xero wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 07:52:
Well if you want that, PAY UP.

I have no problem with that, but the rate they are asking for is extremely high compared to other titles in the market. DOTA2 gives you all heroes for free, SMITE has a $30 unlock everything forever option, LoL's bundles and heroes are a lot cheaper and I'm not sure I've seen another lower tier MOBA come anywhere near Blizzard's pricing.

But this is Blizzard we are talking about. The people that still charge $15/month for an MMO, have an extremely player unfriendly business model for their CCG, charge you $15-25 to run a stored procedure in aforementioned MMO and have rediculously priced digital items for sale in their store. And they get away with all of this, making tons of money.

So yeah... I guess this is to be expected from them because they know they can get away with it.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack
10. Re: Heroes of the Storm Beta Access with Founder's Pack Jan 21, 2015, 00:35 SimplyMonk

Ignoring the fact that this is priced extremely high compared to just about every other MOBA out there... The heroes it gives you are probably the most bland of the bunch except maybe Tyrande who is an interesting support hero. Found Diablo and Raynor completely boring, but others mileage may vary. Diablo could be interesting with the right team.

Anyways, if you had the ability to pick 3 heroes and 3 skins this would be worth it, but this package and their pricing model is just silly.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences
18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences Jan 20, 2015, 15:37 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:04:
Enh, my only real gripe with the game was the lack of a dedicated healer role. I like playing clerics in (C)RPGs. And I wasn't really keen on the mage roles and their spells. Call me old but I prefer old school D&D mages - big ass fireballs, prismatic sprays, Bigby's Clenched Anus, er, Fist. etc.

The lack of any of my choices actually mattering at the end kinda got me and killed my desire for a second play through. I miss the Bioware that made Dragon Age: Origins.

This guy has a pretty good write up that I agree with: http://johnswritersblock.com/2014/12/02/ending-dragonage-inquisition/

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
25. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 11:18 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 10:52:
Desalus wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 10:45:
We shall see come next Wednesday if this is actually true. I like Windows 10, but I'm skeptical of any efforts to make it the best gaming OS because of their past failed efforts. I can understand why it would be a difficult position to be in when any improvements for gaming on their OS could potentially impact sales of their console.
So why bother yapping about it than?
Everyone knows they are committed to their console as they make a ton more money with it than anything to do with PC gaming.
Why bother yapping off about PCgaming if they continue not do a single thing about it?
Do they really think people that stupid or forgiving or ?
I don't understand what is there to gain for them by stating stupid shit like this about support for pc gamers.
Isn't their prime customers and bread and butter when it comes to new OS releases are the business users anyways? I don't see any pcgamer go out to buy a new OS because "microsoft is commited to pc gaming"

Words are cheap and someone might believe them.

News Comments > WildStar Changes Planned
12. Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 16:43 SimplyMonk

wtf_man wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 15:28:
...or they completely have Blinders on

Brad McQuaid. Doing all he knows how to do for the last 20 years. Gotta him love for at least being persistent in the face of the universe telling him to knock it off and move on.

Man. That game even visually gives me EQ flashbacks. The website too. Shit. That entire project looks like its traveled here form the late 90's to warn us about the late 90's.

News Comments > WildStar Changes Planned
3. Re: WildStar Changes Planned Jan 15, 2015, 12:47 SimplyMonk

Yeah. I think Vanguard suffered from some of the same problems. Well, it suffered from a lot more problems, but still...

People may talk about the "good ol' days of MMORPGs" where you spent 3 days camping a rare mob spawn who dropped the 12th component for a 35 component chain quest that awarded you with some new +10 sword...

They might talk to their guild mates about how epic it was to lead a raid of 40 morons though Molten Core week after week sometimes not downing a single boss or just farming trash to get fire resistance up in order to even have a chance...

People talk about that a lot. Do they ever want to do that shit again? HELL NO. No one does. We did it because that was the only option at the time in a very limited market and most of us were in college. This generation of college gamer doesn't have to grind reputation for weeks on end to see the next big thing in their video game because they have options and can always just go play something else that doesn't suck away their will to live.

Making a MMORPG designed for predated notions of what a HARDCORE MMORPG player is was doomed to fail from the beginning because that player only existed because they had no other options. Playing EQ was suffering, but it was that or UO. There was no Hardcore or Casual. Just pain.

Good to see them realize that.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta
16. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 12:30 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 08:48:
I don't agree with this at all. This is a F2P game and I'm fairly sure their model isn't built around you buying every character at launch.

I agree this is the nature of the beast, but when compared to other F2P titles, Blizzard does have a pretty high price for what you get comparatively. I know "what you get" is subjective, but their pricing is so high you kinda have to admit they are higher than the average.

I would appreciate it if they did the same thing SMITE does where for $30 you get every single hero current or future. Hell. Make it $60 or $100 since it is a Blizzard product. Still make money off of skins/mounts/boosts without putting gameplay behind a paywall.

DOTA2 I don't even have to buy heroes, but that is probably a special case as Valve doesn't have to make money from development due to Steam. You could almost argue the same about Blizzard with WoW revenue though, but that has higher costs associated so their margin is probably a lot less.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2015, 12:55.

News Comments > Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash
12. Re: Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash Jan 15, 2015, 10:58 SimplyMonk

It is hard to use budget/time as a defense to your position when you don't release hard numbers or project timelines. The skeptic in me will just disregard everything you say at that point as public relations BS. That being said, AAA-style video games do cost an extremely high amount of money to make, have a really steep decline in price post three months and inflation makes the $100 for the "complete" game historically not that high.

You could argue that this isn't a AAA game since there is not story mode, but I'm not that clear on how much of an expense story mode scripting and writing is compared to general programming, QA and artist costs are.

I would respect their stance more though if they made the game free to play and then sold monsters/hunters/skins through microtransactions rather than an initial price and then DLC bundles. If the game wasn't that engaging though over the long run, that might turn out monetarily worst for them.

Regardless, waiting a year or so and the game will probably be $20-$60 for all of this anyways so if you feel the $100 price tag is too much, just be patient.

12. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 14, 2015, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Graham wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 14:19:
The only thing Blizzard needs to fix at this point is the pricing model - they either need to adjust in-game gold so that it's more rewarding or they need to lower costs. Right now their prices are untenable.

I said the same thing about Hearthstone price per pack being too high and their gold accumulation too low to catch on. I was completely wrong because I didn't factor in that it is Blizzard. People give them large sums of money for no god damn reason and it makes it worst for the rest of us that don't sign off half our paychecks to Activision-Blizzard.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
21. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 13:56 SimplyMonk

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 12:58:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 11:44:
Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:04:
Wow, all of the negative ninnies here... I for one think this would be fantastic!

Games-Workshop has a great IP, and fantastic writers at their disposal, but their games division is focused on milking out every penny they can from customers at all costs. Whoring out their IPs to low-skill developers because they are paranoid that any game that comes too close to the tabletop experience will detract from their miniature sales.

Well, I don't want a table-top experience. Table-top games are their own animal. I would much prefer it be real-time and visceral rather than slow and strategic like a turn-based table-top emulator would be. Not that I don't love that style, but I have been wanting a Total War-style Warhammer game since the first Shogun.

Yeah. I used to have the opposite opinion and wanted the digital version of the table top, but when I stop to think about it you are right. Let table top keep what it does well and let digital do what it does well and improve upon things where it can.

That being said, both Dawn of War series did a great job with the 40K IP in my opinion. Always hoped they would of taken on WH40K: Gothic as make a homeworld-like title or somehow tie it into Dawn of War with fleet management.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
13. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 11:00 SimplyMonk

justice7 wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:54:
Why do people shit on games that aren't even out yet and/or have very little information available? What kind of people do this? Do you shit on your cereal in the morning?

Uhhh... I pretty clearly said that the last Sega published, Creative Assembly developed RTS game I bought was a buggy mess on release and they abandoned the game rather than fix the bugs. So yeah... It was a number of years ago but they did shit in my cereal.

Should I of waited for reviews and not bought the game on a console? Sure. Would of saved $60.

Should they of not been total douchebags and released a patch that the development team had already finished? Yeah. Would of stopped me from hating them and refusing to buy any title again from them at full price.

Are you expecting people to automatically forgive development companies and publishers whenever they release a new title for past douchebagery?

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2015, 11:09.

7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 14, 2015, 10:53 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:46:
The hero pool leaves something to be desired, but I definitely prefer less characters with more distinct and important differences to the league of legends 700 hero "balance by obscurity" approach.

I agree with a lot of this. I'm a big DOTA2 fan, but more so of late on principle and that it is pretty much the original with updated UI and graphics. That being said, I've grown tired of the same map and heroes over the years and HotS objective based map rotation is great to me. I can't agree any more than I do with the "balance by obscurity" comment. I got into LoL late, but it has always been something that annoyed me.

HotS is elegant in its simplicity. A fresh take on a genre that is afraid to explore the possibilities. If you want just to have a good time for 15-20 mins, you can't really go wrong with it.

633 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo