Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 562 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 11:09 SimplyMonk

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
We got a good deal because interest in hybrids has diminished with recent drops in gas prices, but the 44 hwy/city MPG still seems very appealing to me.

Awesome deal for you, but seriously... It is not like gas prices are super volatile or anything.

"Ooooh! We are back under 3 $/gallon! Time to financially lock myself into a vehicle that gets 3 mi/gallon."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
24. Re: removed Nov 17, 2014, 18:34 SimplyMonk

Asmo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 18:06:
Srsly though, this is a great game for having child like fun.

I've always wanted to be a Microwave. Now my childhood dream can be realized.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 17, 2014, 18:31 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:14:
My feelings on Anonymous are mixed, at best, but I find myself greatly pleased that they are messing with the KKK. I have long wondered why a hacktivist group hasn't gone after them before.

Anon for the most part defends free speech. Blatantly attacking the KKK for their hate speech would go against their core principles. It is only because the KKK threatened physical violence to dissuade protesters that they began their campaign.

Its a little ironic because one of the main things that Anon attacks first is their targets ability to communicate, in essence silencing them. But I suppose that is war and as long as Anon didn't take the first shot that is fine with them.

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
11. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 15:29 SimplyMonk

Meh. Blatant attempt to try and cash in on the Goat/Surgeon Simulator fad. Not a good one at that even.

At least they could of stuck to the theme like Viscera Cleanup Detail did and just have you grow and fertilize different kinds of grass or something. Maybe breeding different grass crossbreeds and introduce some creative elements like making mutant or killer grass/plants.

Would of been at least more interesting than just shooting cows.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
13. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 15:20 SimplyMonk

Nut wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:37:
Is this really just a pleasure-seeker or is it possible this is someone with a vested interest against Blizzard, such as a Chinese competitor?

Sometimes just for the L0Lz. Sometimes politically motivated. Sometimes policy motivated. Also, just because you see a lot of traffic coming from China doesn't mean that the people responsible live in China. Just an easier place to put together bot nets.

China's player base could have qualms with Blizzard though as I think Blizzard/NetEase (the company that manages Blizzard titles in China), or the Chinese Government, in the past block releases of WoW expansions for some time versus the other regional launches. Not sure if that is true with WoD though.

EDIT: Yeah. Appears China has to wait a week. [Link]

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
24. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:34 SimplyMonk

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:08:
Ridiculously stupid decision, much of the world is still experiencing recession.

If this is a monetary issue for you, you probably should't be backing Star Citizen or high-end PC gaming in the first place.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 15:06 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:34:
nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:27:

R* is the best!

Well, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. If they were the best, they wouldn't be charging $60 for an HD version of a year old game.

Meh. You've already waited a year. Wait another and it will be $15 on Steam.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 13:24 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:33:
Yes, let's focus on self-driving busses, because that would fix EVERYTHING! Then I can have a self-driving machine take me from where I'm not to where I'm not going, as opposed to a driver taking me from where I'm not to where I'm not going. AMAZING! THE WORLD IS SAVED!

Rolleyes

Yeah... From the passengers point of view, buses are already self-driving. Doesn't much matter if it is a meat sack vs a machine as it is still completely impractical where I live to take a bus. What takes me 15 minutes to drive takes 2 hours by bus.

Plus factor in that I have two huskies and a child that occasionally need transport.

No thanks.

News Comments > Evolve Big Alpha Underway
12. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Overon wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 16:19:
You change over time in response to your environment, specifically what and how much you eat.

Does what your monster eat actually matter? I was hunting for details about that on the Wiki and all I found mention of was that you choose abilities to unlock as your monster levels up and different creatures were just worth different amounts of monster XP.

Haven't had a chance to play a monster yet. Maybe later tonight.

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
12. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 14:37 SimplyMonk

Not surprised at all that this was going on. At the higher ranked tiers, the game play really breaks down to luck and rock-paper-scissors. I'm not that clear on the exact math behind it, but a friend told me about trying to break into Rank 3 and he would win two games, but lose his third constantly and end up making no progress in the rankings all due to just deck match-up.

Apparently in order to progress to the higher ranks you have to be on a rock-paper-scissors win hot streak.

6. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 14:07 SimplyMonk

English is a silly language.  

4. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:56 SimplyMonk

PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:36:
Watched for a while on Twitch last night. For a game called "evolve", it sure is derivative.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your intended sentiment... but isn't evolution by its very nature derivative?

That being said... "Evolve" is probably a bad name for the game as the monster doesn't evolve in response to stimuli in his environment so much as he just gets more deadly and bigger.

The game should of been called "Embiggen".

2. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:21 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:04:
Anyone playing this? Any good? Is it multiplayer only? Or are there bots?

Haven't messed around with it much yet, but to answer a few of your questions... The Alpha is multiplayer only, but there are bots. The bots are mainly used when someone disconnects or a player wants to go AFK.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
51. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 20:09 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:30:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:26:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:38:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

Sexism will always exist. Welcome to the genders of male and female. Learn to cope with it already.

This is true about pretty much everything Cutter ever bitches about.
In standard Cutter form, anything that impacts him directly is a horrible offense and must be rectified. Anything that either doesn't impact him or benefits him is something people need to shut up and deal with.

I don't use "sociopath" lightly, but the dude only cares about himself and has zero empathy for anyone else. Any political, economic or social issue is important only if Cutter deems it so.

Well, you do have to take into account that we are having discussions on and Internet forum dedicated to video game news. Shouldn't really expect people to bring their A-Game to the debate... But still. "Sexism will always exist"?

Rape, murder, theft, Canada, racism and taxes will always exist too. Doesn't mean that we have to tolerate it and not work towards removing them. Hell. We all eventually die and the sun will explode so why bother with any of this?

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
34. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 18:38 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
7. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 12:46 SimplyMonk

NetHead wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 11:41:
They won't be getting those characters/actors back, certainly not without severe changes due to how much they've aged alone.

Agreed. I know it is just Whedon being Whedon and you take the good with the bad but the movie eliminating who I felt were key characters kinda cemented for me that if the series was ever picked up again, it would never be the same so I stopped hoping for it. Might of been his goal in that, but then again, I'm sure more main characters would of died if Fox hadn't held Whedon's leash a little.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
5. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 11:11 SimplyMonk

As much of a Firefly fanboy as I am... even I have to admit it isn't really the universe that made the series so great in my mind. A number of anime already mixed space cowboy with Asian influence (Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star) before Whedon created Firefly. What really made the series great, in my opinion, were the actors and characters that made up that specific crew and how their personalities played off one another. Also the series ended before it had a chance to get bad.

That is something you really can't capture in an RPG, unless you take on the role of one of those characters which usually has lackluster results, and especially difficult in an MMO.

I will say though, I had similar thoughts about the Super Hero MMOs where I figured everyone would be running around as their own image of Batman or Superman. Despite the 12,000 oXVegetaXo and Gookuu's I saw running around, City of Heroes was one of my more surprisingly enjoyable experiences in the MMO space and some people really did impress me with their creativity and the game's support for it.

I doubt this will do the same sadly.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 18:37 SimplyMonk

mag wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:29:
Even optimization (or lack thereof) aside, I have not heard anyone say any positive words about this game.

The combat was enjoyable at higher levels. Outside of that, the game really didn't have anything going for it. As forgettable to me as FF9 was.

Really don't understand the need to make 13-2 and LR... Lightning wasn't even that interesting of a character and the world was "meh". Even after reading all the wiki entries on its back story.

Although I will say I've "heard" that 13-2 gets better, if not wackier, but haven't bothered to try myself despite owning it from a sale.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2014, 18:43.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:10:
*also, inverted Y for life!

Preach it! First thing I do whenever I play a FPS. I blame early flight sims for this.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:09 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:30:
A long time ago I used the arrow keys for movement but then I switched over to WASD and haven't looked back. I can't imagine wasting a mouse button on movement but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Edit: my bad I meant WASD

I used to be IJKL because I felt it gave me a wider range of options for key binds for games like Quake MEGATF. Then I grew old and lazy and just started WASD because it meant I didn't have to spend an hour configuring a new game before jumping into it. I also abandoned Right Mouse for Jump when rocket jumping was no longer a thing.

I rarely play shooters nowadays and nothing to the level where I need a wide array of key binds. My wife has a gaming mouse with 20 buttons on it and a gaming keypad which is really nice when you get used to it. She uses it for WoW, but I'm sure if I ever had the time or the interest to get into twitch gaming like I used to that would probably be my setup. Takes a hell of a lot of effort to setup, but has some nice profile options.

562 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo