Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 619 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta
16. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 15, 2015, 12:30 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 08:48:
I don't agree with this at all. This is a F2P game and I'm fairly sure their model isn't built around you buying every character at launch.

I agree this is the nature of the beast, but when compared to other F2P titles, Blizzard does have a pretty high price for what you get comparatively. I know "what you get" is subjective, but their pricing is so high you kinda have to admit they are higher than the average.

I would appreciate it if they did the same thing SMITE does where for $30 you get every single hero current or future. Hell. Make it $60 or $100 since it is a Blizzard product. Still make money off of skins/mounts/boosts without putting gameplay behind a paywall.

DOTA2 I don't even have to buy heroes, but that is probably a special case as Valve doesn't have to make money from development due to Steam. You could almost argue the same about Blizzard with WoW revenue though, but that has higher costs associated so their margin is probably a lot less.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2015, 12:55.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash
12. Re: Turtle Rock on Evolve DLC Backlash Jan 15, 2015, 10:58 SimplyMonk

It is hard to use budget/time as a defense to your position when you don't release hard numbers or project timelines. The skeptic in me will just disregard everything you say at that point as public relations BS. That being said, AAA-style video games do cost an extremely high amount of money to make, have a really steep decline in price post three months and inflation makes the $100 for the "complete" game historically not that high.

You could argue that this isn't a AAA game since there is not story mode, but I'm not that clear on how much of an expense story mode scripting and writing is compared to general programming, QA and artist costs are.

I would respect their stance more though if they made the game free to play and then sold monsters/hunters/skins through microtransactions rather than an initial price and then DLC bundles. If the game wasn't that engaging though over the long run, that might turn out monetarily worst for them.

Regardless, waiting a year or so and the game will probably be $20-$60 for all of this anyways so if you feel the $100 price tag is too much, just be patient.

12. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 14, 2015, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Graham wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 14:19:
The only thing Blizzard needs to fix at this point is the pricing model - they either need to adjust in-game gold so that it's more rewarding or they need to lower costs. Right now their prices are untenable.

I said the same thing about Hearthstone price per pack being too high and their gold accumulation too low to catch on. I was completely wrong because I didn't factor in that it is Blizzard. People give them large sums of money for no god damn reason and it makes it worst for the rest of us that don't sign off half our paychecks to Activision-Blizzard.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed?
21. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 13:56 SimplyMonk

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 12:58:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 11:44:
Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:04:
Wow, all of the negative ninnies here... I for one think this would be fantastic!

Games-Workshop has a great IP, and fantastic writers at their disposal, but their games division is focused on milking out every penny they can from customers at all costs. Whoring out their IPs to low-skill developers because they are paranoid that any game that comes too close to the tabletop experience will detract from their miniature sales.

Well, I don't want a table-top experience. Table-top games are their own animal. I would much prefer it be real-time and visceral rather than slow and strategic like a turn-based table-top emulator would be. Not that I don't love that style, but I have been wanting a Total War-style Warhammer game since the first Shogun.

Yeah. I used to have the opposite opinion and wanted the digital version of the table top, but when I stop to think about it you are right. Let table top keep what it does well and let digital do what it does well and improve upon things where it can.

That being said, both Dawn of War series did a great job with the 40K IP in my opinion. Always hoped they would of taken on WH40K: Gothic as make a homeworld-like title or somehow tie it into Dawn of War with fleet management.

13. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 11:00 SimplyMonk

justice7 wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:54:
Why do people shit on games that aren't even out yet and/or have very little information available? What kind of people do this? Do you shit on your cereal in the morning?

Uhhh... I pretty clearly said that the last Sega published, Creative Assembly developed RTS game I bought was a buggy mess on release and they abandoned the game rather than fix the bugs. So yeah... It was a number of years ago but they did shit in my cereal.

Should I of waited for reviews and not bought the game on a console? Sure. Would of saved $60.

Should they of not been total douchebags and released a patch that the development team had already finished? Yeah. Would of stopped me from hating them and refusing to buy any title again from them at full price.

Are you expecting people to automatically forgive development companies and publishers whenever they release a new title for past douchebagery?

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2015, 11:09.

7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Closed Beta Jan 14, 2015, 10:53 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 10:46:
The hero pool leaves something to be desired, but I definitely prefer less characters with more distinct and important differences to the league of legends 700 hero "balance by obscurity" approach.

I agree with a lot of this. I'm a big DOTA2 fan, but more so of late on principle and that it is pretty much the original with updated UI and graphics. That being said, I've grown tired of the same map and heroes over the years and HotS objective based map rotation is great to me. I can't agree any more than I do with the "balance by obscurity" comment. I got into LoL late, but it has always been something that annoyed me.

HotS is elegant in its simplicity. A fresh take on a genre that is afraid to explore the possibilities. If you want just to have a good time for 15-20 mins, you can't really go wrong with it.

11. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Accidentally Revealed? Jan 14, 2015, 10:47 SimplyMonk

I'm still burned from Stormrise. The last Sega-CA RTS I played where after a buggy release Sega decided to abandon the game rather than pay to release a patch that was already done.

Never again. As much as I love Warhammer, another title I'll probably look at when it hits the bargain bin.

News Comments > Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details
5. Re: Evolve 4th Monster; DLC; Season Pass Details Jan 13, 2015, 15:30 SimplyMonk

Thanks, but I'll wait a year or two and get it all for $20.  

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway
18. Re: Seagulls like to poop on people Jan 13, 2015, 13:18 SimplyMonk

JayDeath wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 12:48:
This 'remastering' of old titles over the last couple of years is starting to resemble the movie industry. There is very little originality and devs don't want to risk creating new IPs that might not make profits so we continue to get sequels to successful IPs and now more remakes.

Ehh... let's not confuse our concepts here. Both show a lack of originality, but remakes and remasters are two completely different concepts. Remakes and sequels are basically just new games in the same IP whereas a remaster is pretty much just a patch to an old game.

I wouldn't say sequels in gaming are as bad as they usually are in movies. In fact, sequels are usually better as the developer sometimes learns from mistakes or what didn't work in the first game. Remakes on the other hand are usually never as good as the original with a few exceptions.

True remasters I don't think I'll ever view negatively as they are usually remasters of good games and always an improvement of some form of another be it better graphics, better sounds, improved control schemes or simply the ability to play the game on a modern platform.

Yeah, they can be buggy especially when the platform changes, but hey... When you are talking old games where you have to use an emulator or virtual machine to get working... Its better than nothing and retro gaming with new graphics is always enjoyable.

That's just my general take on it. I'm sure there have been remasters that have gone horribly, but I haven't played them.

Curse of Money Island and FFX/X-2 Remasters were both highly enjoyable. FF Tactics and FF7 were good if buggy at times. Actually, most of the Square-Enix/Squaresoft RPGs that have been ported/remastered to iOS/Steam have been fairly decent.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway
12. Re: Grim Fandango HD This Month; Preorders Underway Jan 13, 2015, 11:35 SimplyMonk

Probably my favorite adventure game if my avatar doesn't give that away, but yeah... waiting on reviews before picking it up.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag
13. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 12:46 SimplyMonk

Xero wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 12:24:
It's a big *yawn* and pass type of game, but I'm sure Blizzard will add it's usual flair and special touches to make it stand out over the rest.

This is what Blizzard does (used to do?) though. Not really innovate or explore new ground but take an established genre, polish it up really nice and put out the best they can with it.

Kinda looking forward to it because I never really got into TF2 as much as I loved the short movies and the art style. I played a ton of MegaTF for Quake 1 back in the day and the differences between that and TF2 were just too much for me to get over and I couldn't adjust. I still bitch about spies being able to go invisible rather than just feign death. I loved feign death. Felt like I was really playing strategically. Invisibility just felt like cheating. But I digress...

Hopefully Overwatch will have enough differences for me to get over that feeling, which I'm sure it will.

7. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 11:23 SimplyMonk

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 11:05:
Heroes of the Storm is pretty great, though it still has a ways to go. League for people who don't want to think too much, which is a pretty considerable group.

DOTA2: "Come get your MOBA on with the original!"

League of Legends: "Don't want to worry about strategy or denials too much and just slaughter people with ridiculous heroes? Get over here! We have grass!"

Heroes of the Storm: "Does just being in the same room as a book give you a migraine? Do rapid moving colors transfix you in a visual wonderland for hours? Do you like the smell of Styrofoam? We have the game for you. Stay awhile and vegetate."

SMITE: "BOOM! HEADSHOT!"

I will say though, I've played quite a bit of Heroes of the Storm and do enjoy it specifically when I only have 15 minutes for a game and just want to have a good time.

3. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jan 12, 2015, 10:52 SimplyMonk

Possibly. Looks like it is an iPhone App for Paintball:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/overwatch/id829154105?mt=8

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories Jan 9, 2015, 18:10 SimplyMonk

If they were smart they would of started F2P and incorporated some sort of modding/design market like Valve has going with Steamworks and DOTA2. Stick to your strengths.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
3. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 18:03 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 17:43:
And this is different how? Is it a closed system or not? If it is it's a console, if it's not it's just a PC. Fucking marketing assholes!

Its a gaming PC with a custom case. Nothing else.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Evolve
4. Re: Gone Gold - Evolve Jan 8, 2015, 18:00 SimplyMonk

DangerDog wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 17:39:
The maps in the alpha were all arena based and didn't seem to have enough space to evade the hunters long enough to evolve, mostly at later stages in the unlock advancement.

I find a lot of people saying this, but I primarily played the Monster during the Alpha and I was somewhere around a 75% win rate with the Goliath and 99% with the Kraken. Played roughly 50-60 games. The game was all about Stealth at the start. Keeping to caves, hiding your tracks, doubling back and climbing onto cliffs, leaping off to gain distance. Knowing if you are going to be caught, where is the best place to find cover till the bubble drops. With the Kraken though, you didn't even need to bother evolving. I killed multiple hunter parties at Stage 1 with Rank 3 Lightning Bolt. It was silly.

I doubt I'll be picking this up for $60 on release though. Got a Xbox One in a raffle at work and traded it for a PS4 so I have a bunch of console gaming to keep me occupied. If it had a co-op story mode like L4D, I probably would get it if some buddies picked it up as well. The progression mode they are advertising in the next Xbox One open beta sounds nice, but still not enough to justify the expenditure.

Pretty much the same as Titan Fall for me. Enjoyable, but not release day price enjoyable especially with all the planned DLC. Will pick up a GotY edition or something on Steam in a year.

News Comments > Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"
4. Re: Origin PC CEO: Steam Controller Finalized; Steam Machines Jan 7, 2015, 19:00 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2015, 18:29:

I'd still love to try Valve's controller...I may totally end up hating it, but it at least looks interesting.

Co-worker of mine got into the Steam Machine Beta and brought in his box and controller into work for a week. Having first hand experience with their first iteration of the controller, my take-away was worst than an Xbox controller for Shooters but better than it for RTS/browsing with a fairly high learning curve.

I only used it to play some HL2 and DOTA2 though and even then only for like 30 mins each. Maybe with a lot more time with it I might of found it decent for shooters, but it would of never of been as good as a mouse/keyboard for RTS/browsing.

Curious too see what they ended up changing.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 18, 2014, 10:37 SimplyMonk

Apparently the CEO of Take-Two owns shares in the Escapist's parent company. Apparently that was a important call out for an article that contains little to no opinion and is more just stating some minor history behind Evolve's development. I guess anytime Escapist mentions a Take-Two title that goes on the bottom of their page?  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Dec 17, 2014, 18:27 SimplyMonk

Should be called "Random Louis C.K. Quotes Put Over Random Landscape Photos." Although, I did laugh at the "chickens are dumb" one just because that quote is so absurd in its randomness that a random landscape photo behind it fits.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Spicy Food article Dec 17, 2014, 16:06 SimplyMonk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 15:21:
My new favorite is Trinidadian (Caribbean).

That looks pretty good. Will try it out if I get a chance, but sadly Yelp says there is nothing like that around Oceanside, CA. Just some Jamaican and Havana Kitchens.

619 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo