Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 494 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
30. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 17, 2012, 15:51 SimplyMonk

baltar wrote on May 17, 2012, 15:28:
How are you guys ordering the CE? Whenever I click on the links it just shows me regular edition on Bestbuy, Gamestop or Amazon.. I don't see a CE posted yet for Borderlands 2..

If you search amazon for Loot Chest, you can find that one, although details are sparse. Don't see the Vault Hunter's one though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2012, 12:59 SimplyMonk

Microsoft: You can't play the game digitally till 6 months after it is physically released. Also, you'll play full Release Day Price. This whole digital thing is really annoying and we don't like doing it.

Sony: You want to play a game and give us money for it? Here. Fucking have it! We'll even allow you to download it beforehand so you don't have to wait on release. We love technology!

(I know this isn't the exact scenario as I'm sure Sony will only do this for PSN only titles possibly, but still. Fuck Microsoft.)

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
3. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 17, 2012, 11:42 SimplyMonk

RailWizard wrote on May 17, 2012, 11:32:
Disgusting. Fuck gearbox.

You know, there are some parts of the Ultimate Loot Chest that I disapprove of being in a "Collector's Edition", but man... I really want a loot chest.

News Comments > Tex Murphy Kickstarter
9. Re: Tex Murphy Kickstarter May 16, 2012, 17:10 SimplyMonk

When I first read this my mind for some reason replaced "Tex Murphy" with "Tex Avery" and wondered if there really was that big of a market for a sci-fi, noir detective game starring Droopy.  

News Comments > Gaikai to Debut Hawken
9. Re: Gaikai is shit. May 16, 2012, 01:16 SimplyMonk

My company was planning on doing some work with Gaikai until before Dave Perry got distracted by something shiny like he always tends to do. From the demo and tech he showed me though, it has very sound applications and they are going about it the right way... but they just lack the resources to get hosting servers in place and the bandwidths nationwide just aren't solid enough to support the service yet. It works great if you are less than 100 miles from the server, but once you get into the boondocks it goes to crap.

Before it plays a demo the service is supposed to test your connection and determine whether or not it should even bother giving you a demo, but apparently that is not how it is working out. Doesn't make a good first impression if the first thing you see about a game is crappy performance. Gaikai isn't making the mistakes OnLive is, but even so the infrastructure just isn't there yet to support this.

Who knows. With a little more investment and some more servers this might just be worthwhile in a few years.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Game of Thrones RPG
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Game of Thrones RPG May 15, 2012, 17:02 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 16:30:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 15, 2012, 15:23:
Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:59:
An RPG, about a book that's full of talking and machinations and little action, being bad? Whodathunkit?

I was going to disagree, but I was thinking that was the perfect recipe for a good table-top RPG Game. Not so much for a video game until someone comes up with a game engine that can fully integrate the customization, free form conversation and control ones gets from rolling dice with a group of friends.

And even then it'd require a DM who's awesome at creating all that intrigue and political chicanery, and a group of players who like to go around and make deals and backstab one another. A group like that would often start playing solo sessions so they aren't all sitting around listening to each other create plans to fuck over the other players.

Creston

Ha. Been there. Done that. Doesn't end well, but makes for great stories afterwards.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Game of Thrones RPG May 15, 2012, 15:23 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:59:
An RPG, about a book that's full of talking and machinations and little action, being bad? Whodathunkit?

I was going to disagree, but I was thinking that was the perfect recipe for a good table-top RPG Game. Not so much for a video game until someone comes up with a game engine that can fully integrate the customization, free form conversation and control ones gets from rolling dice with a group of friends.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend
5. Re: The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend May 15, 2012, 15:15 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:24:
Great concept, decent execution, but poor window dressing will kill it for a lot of players...

Sounds like the Funcom I know and want to love, but they keep making me sad. Well, at least their "execution" went up from "piss-poor" to "decent".

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 15, 2012, 14:21 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 11:09:
Don't get me wrong, it's cool of Blizzard to do this, but the big fat bolded statement by Kotaku that this IS A FREE GAME doesn't seem to really be the truth?

"Free" and "Diablo 3" get better search engine results.

News Comments > TERA Patched
1. Re: TERA Patched May 15, 2012, 14:19 SimplyMonk

...an inexplicable version 17.29.01 in the Americas
Every time they localized a new word, they incremented the version number.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Game of Thrones RPG May 15, 2012, 14:17 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:00:
I've found one short one so far that called it ugly and mediocre.

This one calls it outright bad: Link

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX Results
15. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:50 SimplyMonk

NegaDeath wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:36:
I'd love a Chrono 3 but I'm not sure they have it in them anymore to make a worthy sequel. Maybe if they managed to reunite the old "Dream Team".

Even Chrono Cross didn't really do anything for me. It was a "good" game, but I got lost with all the characters (15+?). If it had a tighter storyline I would of said it could compare to the original CT.

They may have the technical skill to do a good Chrono 3 still, but I fear the story and art style that made the first so iconic for me may be lost.

14. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 14:46 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on May 14, 2012, 14:25:
Pretty much the entire FFXI community left to go to FFXIV when it came out, took one look at it and went straight back to XI (me included).

Is the re-tuning they are doing with FFXIV making any headway with the community? I just got an e-mail about their welcome back campaign, but haven't had the time to give it a look yet. Plus I'm too excited about GW2 in order to commit to a monthly sub at the moment. Too many games, too little time.

I enjoyed a lot of Wakfu (their other MMO) when I played it a couple of weeks back, but felt it just lacked something to sustain my interest. My love of FFT was the only thing that even made me look at it. A little too grindy for me though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2012, 13:21 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 13:03:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:55:
Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:15:
Don't forget the GW2 stress test today!

Fuck you, "Work and needing to earn a living wage".

Haha! My work is closed Mondays! I think you need to listen to a little Cee Lo Green today, Monk.

Doing so now. Just going to loop it all day till I get home at 6.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2012, 12:55 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2012, 12:15:
Don't forget the GW2 stress test today!

Fuck you, "Work and needing to earn a living wage".

9. Re: SQUARE ENIX Results May 14, 2012, 12:03 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on May 14, 2012, 11:58:
...still want the crap that is FF14.

FFIV is their current flagship in the MMO sector and when you combine that with the fact that it is a "Final Fantasy" game, that makes it more a matter or pride for the company and something they refuse to let fail. Most MMO companies, when they have a crappy release, just let the title die a slow death. FFIV is the first time I've ever seen a company say "This is bullshit. Give us a year. We'll remake it and do better." which I believe extends from that sense of pride.

Well, except for Star Wars Galaxies. With that Sony and Lucas said "This game is all right, but I'm sure we can make it crappier and more like WoW. Give us a week."

Good to see Square-Enix doing well though. I've been a fan since the FFVI days. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFVI are to this day games I can always replay and enjoy. Hence recent iPhone purchases. <_<

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 13, 2012, 13:04 SimplyMonk

Having been to the last three E3s, going to the next one and being close to friends that have attended them since the start, calling this next one "the worst ever" or the death of the expo is a bit of an overstatement and typical sensationalist headlines. In the early 2000s when E3 and the big publishers was trying to bring the ridiculous spending and "one-up-manship" of the 90s into line, the show became a complete executive only affair with nothing shiny to display at all. It wasn't until ~2008 that they changed back to making it more PR oriented and showy as it had been in the 90's.

The show has changed for sure, but the purpose of E3 was always to entice investors more so than flaunt to customers.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content
8. Re: Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content May 13, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

eunichron wrote on May 12, 2012, 23:21:
Though I have a special contention for calling it "MOBA" ... the "multiplayer online battle arena" descriptor could be applied generically to every genre.

Lines between genre's have always been fuzzy for the most part, especially when you get into some of the odder games like Savage and Mass Effect where it is essentially two genres, or one genre with strong elements of another.

My reasons for disliking the name of the genre is it is too wordy and specific (and saying "MOBA" makes me feel slightly retarded). I'd much prefer a simple "Arena" genre or "Battle Arena" as then that would also capture the Shooter takes on this game type that are popping up like Monday Night Combat or instances where the game isn't necessarily online or multiplayer (although I'll admit without those components the game is fairly boring).

For some reason "MOBA" just sounds like some silly acronym that would be used in Archer.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 19:58 SimplyMonk

I think part of the problem is that, like NPD numbers, Nielsen ratings give a very incomplete picture of the market.

I can't speak for the TV show rating data from Nielsen, but having first hand dealt with a large amount of their marketing data... it is very incomplete. They do best with TV, but even that has large errors or inaccuracies at times. Although they do have "Internet" tracking, it is very, very bad and incomplete when it is there at all. Like NPD, they are loose estimations at best.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Patch Adds Content
2. Re: RE: Follow up May 12, 2012, 14:51 SimplyMonk

I will forever hate the term "MOBA"  

494 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo