Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 450 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition Announced
13. Re: Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition Announced May 4, 2012, 17:46 SimplyMonk

Prez wrote on May 4, 2012, 13:42:
There's nothing outdated about being miffed about install limits on software you legally own.

... and there is the issue. You don't legally own the software. You legally own a licence to the software. Hence, "End User Licence Agreement". If you owned the software, you'd be able to copy and redistribute to your hearts content.

You can't though and this is how most if not all computer software agreements are written. Even if you can physically hold the DVD the game is written on, you have no ownership of the code on the DVD. You have a right to play and enjoy it as long as it is within the limts of the agreement, but it ends there.

Example: Court Case

I'm sure in some sense even GameStop is in violation of this, but most likely the video game industry needs them enough currently to not take it to this extreme yet.

Don't like it? Don't buy video games and maybe the industry will change or not enforce it in such a draconian way. Not disagreeing with you or your main point, however.. Just adding a little clarity to your "ownership" statement.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
76. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 19:38 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 3, 2012, 19:32:
It's not like you can do real heinous shit.

The game that allows me to harvest unloved orphan souls to power a machine that hunts and butchers puppies and kittens for raw materials to produce a virus that attacks the brain and causes people to be unable to love or see the color purple I'll know that I've found a game to retire with...

... actually I think Dwarf Fortress allows you to do this. Why do I play any other game?

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
10. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 12:19 SimplyMonk

Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:14:
If having a publisher automatically removed you from consideration as an "indie" game, then every game on Steam automatically loses that label.

Steam is in no way a publisher. They are a digital storefront and distribution network. That is not the same in any sense of the word. Except the wrong sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2012, 20:20 SimplyMonk

It is raining (drizzle) in San Diego today, so no luck there Blue.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Trailer
12. Re: Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Trailer Apr 30, 2012, 18:12 SimplyMonk

Efflixi wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 18:00:
I just hope the people who make levels are required to complete them before they can submit them. Otherwise I can foresee hundreds of levels that look real and spending hours trying to beat them, only to find out that you can't actually ever beat it.

I'm curious if there was a programmatic way to test a Portal 2 map to see if it had a solution. Might be too many variables involved to brute force some simulations till you find a path that leads to the exit, but maybe not. But it would be annoying to try to tell the difference between an unsolvable puzzle and one that is just really hard.

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
7. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 16:55 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:08:
I think ArenaNet/NCSoft have the model in GW2 that I would use if I was making a MMO. It makes the most sense for everyone involved.

Agreed.

News Comments > Vivendi Denies Break-up Rumors
18. Re: Vivendi Denies Break-up Rumors Apr 27, 2012, 16:45 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:34:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:28:
personman_145 wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 16:21:
I've been boycotting them since they dropped support for Tribes: Vengeance (a couple months after I bought it), and I've been blaming them for the death of the franchise.

Have yet to try Tribes Ascend, worried it will be disappointing...Maybe I'll give it a shot.

It's beyond amazing. Ignore the "it's pay2win LOLZ" whining, it's not at all.

Yeah, I've not tried it either, but people here seem to speak favorably of it.

I've logged maybe 15 or so hours playing it. Not bad at all. Haven't spent any money on it yet (besides some free coins I got from promoting it on FB), but I never really felt like I needed to.

The only big gripe I have is map design, which I might just chalk up to personal preference as I can see WHY they did what they did. Base defense is essentially a joke as flags/generators are stored in locations that offer no natural defense.

Joe: "Hey, Shmoe. Where do you want to put the flag? We have a nice secured safe room in the bottom floor of the bunker where we could..."

Shmoe: "No... No that won't work. Let's put it on top of the bunker. On top of a pole. Raised 50 feet off the ground so it is out of range of any of the defensive turrets."

Joe: "... are you even on our team?"

Shmoe: "I'm almost fairly sure I am."

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2012, 12:37 SimplyMonk

If this goes through, "Welcome to the neighborhood!"  

News Comments > Dungeonbowl Announced
2. Re: Dungeonbowl Announced Apr 10, 2012, 17:40 SimplyMonk

PC Implementation wasn't too horrible. Compared to the console versions it was actually fairly well done.  

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
31. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 4, 2012, 23:16 SimplyMonk

This poll isn't really saying that EA is worst than BoA. It is saying that EA is worst at making video games players happy than BoA is at making banking customers happy. Seeing as those customer bases have no metrics on them, the poll is meaningless.  

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
81. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 19:20 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 19:05:
I know you're talking about Assassins Creed but just wanted to say that the PC probably has a lot more digital customers than the consoles do. Steam has 35 million active accounts, the conversion rate of console users who do stuff on XBL and PSN probably isnt even close to 1:1.

True, but without access to digital sales of the Assassin Creed's franchise I can't speak to how large or how small their digital PC sales are. DLC attach rates are an even more elusive metric to track as the sales data for DLC is usually proprietary to the publisher.

Regardless, one would hope that if the revenue for PC as a whole was anywhere near even 5% of their total worldwide sales they would be treating that platform with a little more respect. Even not knowing their actual digital metrics, their attitude to the platform speaks volumes.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
78. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 18:31 SimplyMonk

Ventura wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 18:21:
The PC accounts for what, 4% of sales? Xbox 55% and PS3 40%?

Psh. With digital maybe, but most likely not even that. As far as retail is concerned, for the Assassin Creed franchise as a whole the PC is more like barely 2% of unit sales. 1% for actual revenue as PC tends to sell for cheaper than console. Hell, the PSP and NDS games for the franchise individually almost made more money than all of the PC sales! Those were developed for maybe about $20 each if the quality of them is any judge.

Factor in the extra DLC sales that come from having a larger install base on the XBL and PSN networks and the PC gets dwarfed even further in terms of revenue as the publisher gets a lot larger share of the DLC sales than they do for the retail sale.

That's a good chunk of change to bother with making a port, but if you are asking for more than the bare minimum than you are dreaming.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 18:42.

News Comments > Vanguard Going Free-to-Play
3. Re: Vanguard Going Free-to-Play Mar 22, 2012, 12:23 SimplyMonk

SOE - Where MMOs refuse to die.

I'm surprised they haven't acquired Horizons (http://www.istaria.com) yet.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
6. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 11:44 SimplyMonk

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 11:09:
nin wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 10:13:
Now that that's out of the way...bring forth the beta!

nin Star Trek Online use to have this sort of system. Granted you could earn things in-game, but you had to grind the shit out of it. That's why it bothers me when he says 'basically be available for gold with this system'.

In the end though, they are vanity items. Unless you care about how pretty your Barbie doll is, it doesn't really matter.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Weekend Mar 21, 2012, 16:00 SimplyMonk

After playing the first free weekend:

$15 a month? Sure. I'll give it a shot.
$60 + $15/month. Pass. I'm pretty sure I'll be done with this in the first month.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
59. Re: BioWare Mar 19, 2012, 15:35 SimplyMonk

Troll or Truth?

http://www.gamefront.com/rumor-mass-effect-3-dlc-the-truth-due-in-april/

The ending was half-assed because of the leak. They changed it at the last minute so they could have more time to prepare the real ending via DLC.

Itís called The Truth and itís being released in April or May. You WILL be able to continue the story if you picked any of the endings. Your decision during that sequence will have a big effect on your ending of The Truth. The Truth adds two new sets of enemies, new classes, and multiplayer maps including ďFirebase HiveĒ, which is a small area of the last remaining collector ship included in the DLC, which, by the way you should definitely bring Javik the Prothean along if you have him.

The picture here shows some of the leaked multiplayer classes and races. One race that isnít shown is the Prothean Adept and Vanguard. This DLC also enables the ability for owners of the preorder and From Ashes DLC to find their DLC weapons in reinforcement packs.

All that content, and this might as well be labeled an expansion pack.

And itís free.

Youíre welcome.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2012, 12:20 SimplyMonk

Bacon? The most gimmicky ingredient of the current generation?  

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
26. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 12:12 SimplyMonk

The last line from the FTC article fills me with joy:

"If gamers did this for every single game that failed to deliver on its hype, GameStop would be empty and Peter Molyneux would be clapped in irons. What a beautiful world."

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 13:58 SimplyMonk

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:57:
more dragons would be good

Needs more dragons.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Unlocks Relocking
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Unlocks Relocking Mar 13, 2012, 12:55 SimplyMonk

I find jumping right into EA titles on launch of late isn't worth it.

SW:TOR? I'll wait a few years then give it a try.
ME3? Sounds like a lot of bugs plus Origin is still glitchy. I can wait to have the ending completely disappoint me.
Anything else? Yeah. I have more stable games to play in the meantime.

450 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo