Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 482 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SMITE Closed Beta Tomorrow
3. Re: SMITE Closed Beta Tomorrow May 30, 2012, 16:49 SimplyMonk

MadBoris wrote on May 30, 2012, 15:47:
We need to ramp up some Tribes changes or some players will tire and noobs won't be able to learn on the elite matches.

True. To be honest, I haven't kept up with Global Agenda at all so I don't know how much attention they are giving to it anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 11:51 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on May 30, 2012, 10:58:
Part of me really wants to wait and just mourn for awhile but another part wants another little companion again as soon as possible.

Get a new little one. Remember and cherish your memories of Lucy, but getting a new companion can do wonders in easing their passing and making memories of Lucy bring a smile to your face instead of tears.

News Comments > SMITE Closed Beta Tomorrow
1. Re: SMITE Closed Beta Tomorrow May 30, 2012, 11:31 SimplyMonk

Ugh. MOBA.

Anyways, it looks intriguing. By all the games being churned out by Hi-Rez studios I guess they are doing pretty well. None are amazingly complex or really involve a story at all, but it is good to see that they have found a niche and are doing well with it.

If I get into the beta I'll look forward to giving this a shot or if not will try it out when I assume it will go FTP as most of their other titles.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
11. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 14:25 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:18:
I found this leaked video of the upcoming, unannounced D3 expansion

"No cooldown on his warcry?"

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details May 29, 2012, 13:13 SimplyMonk

Agent.X7 wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:06:
(Everyone acts so much more civil when they're not competing for resources.)

That's a statement for humanity in general.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 29, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

Wesh.com did a brilliant job choosing that picture for Curt Schilling.  

News Comments > Zenimax TMs "Hearth Fire"
1. Re: Zenimax TMs May 29, 2012, 11:37 SimplyMonk

What?

"Fus Ro Dah" - Sure. Whatever.
"Dragonborn" - That's pushing it a bit there, Zeni. Don't think that will fly, but don't really knock you for trying.
"Hearth Fire" - You guys are retarded.

News Comments > The Secret World Delay; Beta Details
5. Re: The Secret World Delay; Beta Details May 25, 2012, 13:56 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on May 25, 2012, 12:24:
Needs about a 4-6 month delay IMHO.

The first thing I did when I read the news and saw "Due to market reasons..." was load up all the video game releases scheduled around its initial release date and see what it was trying to avoid competition with. There is literally NOTHING getting released in the anywhere near its release date that would at all compete with it.

The only reasons I could figure for pushing it back was:

1) The game isn't ready, but they didn't want to say that
2) They wanted to distance themselves a few paychecks away from Diablo 3, but they knew D3's release well in advance
3) GW2 doesn't look like it will release in June, so they figured they could push back and still be first to market

Ignoring any internal reasons such as failures on a production level or fiscal quarter maneuverings, (1) to me seems the most likely. They know they need work and with nothing on the horizon except GW2 to really worry about they figured they can take the additional time, although the amount of time may not be enough for that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 25, 2012, 13:48 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on May 25, 2012, 11:42:
Cutting jobs isn't always due to greed. Sometimes it's a necessity.

Couldn't agree more. Been following HP for awhile and this is the one of the few moves I've seen in a number of years that suggests there might be more in store for the future of the company than a slow death.

News Comments > Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances Launches
7. Re: Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances Launches May 25, 2012, 00:25 SimplyMonk

Keith wrote on May 24, 2012, 23:52:
*sigh* Another CnC game that sucks balls. To add insult to injury, there wasn't even anything for me to delete. That usually makes me feel better when I find I am playing a turd.

You could delete it and its cookies from your browsing history. That might help a little.

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
6. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 24, 2012, 19:37 SimplyMonk

That was a very lofty goal. Most of the big name titles like "Mass Effect 2", "Prototype" and "Army of Two" barely did 1.2M in the first 90 days and I'm sure that wasn't their break even point. It did decently well, to be honest, but if their break even point was that high they really should of focused on bringing their costs down.

Then again, that is just my two cents and I'm not expert in game development or financing in the least. Just looking at what their target was seems very unrealistic for what they were pushing.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
6. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 13:11 SimplyMonk

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 24, 2012, 12:51:
Didnt read through since i am only at Act III, but I can see them nerfing Soul Harvest.

Yeah. I keep taking this out and putting it into my build constantly. Same with Spirit Walk. I want to try doing something different or playing around with different specs, but Soul Harvest + Pierce the Veil seem to creep into every build I have that doesn't rely purely on pets.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

.net_Drifter wrote on May 24, 2012, 01:37:
Thor just felt like the odd man out in both his movie and The Avengers.

I think that is just the nature of the character. I forget where I heard it, but a interesting character concept for Thor was that he was just a normal human that through a twist of events (can't remember the specifics) received god-like powers and basically went crazy and started calling himself Thor and that he was a Norse god. He was a crazy guy with the powers of a god. Felt a lot more believable to me than trying to establish the actual existence of the Norse pantheon and its mythology which is nothing but pain, suffering and eventually Ragnarok (more pain and suffering).

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
104. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:00 SimplyMonk

Kitkoan wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:27:
Load times are more based on your media transfer rates.

Truth, but my point was more meant to illustrate that high-end hardware can decrease game development costs (unless you have esoteric configurations like PS3 Cell). My fault for choosing a poor example.

101. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 19:24 SimplyMonk

NegaDeath wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:03:
With the skyrocketing costs of game development I doubt many studios are asking for a huge hardware increase either.

Why not? If you are bad at coding and don't want to spend time performance tweaking your shit, you can always just throw hardware at it. Takes five minutes to load each level? Give it another 16 gigs of RAM, another 8 CPUs (although making use of those is most likely more challenging) and 2 more GPUs. Load times non-existent!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2012, 18:35 SimplyMonk

Couldn't agree more. Best Buy has lived far too long off of shady business practices, consumer ineptitude and charging 300% for cables, components and other random accessories.

The only thing Best Buy was ever good for was buying big products that had specials, but even then the specials were sometimes scams.

31. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 13:27 SimplyMonk

...at GameStop
...on Amazon.com

Why do I get the feeling that all this pandering and quotes directed at the retailers is due to Battle.Net digital sales either blowing retail sales out of the water or were so abysmal that they need to make sure they keep retailers happy? Just seems odd to me to make call outs to specific retailers this way.

14. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 11:57 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on May 23, 2012, 11:44:
As I told a friend, it scratches a particular itch very well, but if you didn't like D2 (or that kind of game) it doesn't really bring anything new to the table that's going to change your mind.

Yeah. I think that is where I'm disappointed as well. The progression from D1 to D2 felt more groundbreaking, but going from D2 to D3 just feels like what they did for Starcraft 2. A few tweaks, a new story, some new units, completely new back-end and achievements.

Although I know they worked hard on it and there are a lot of subtle changes that greatly effect the metagame, but it just feels like I'm playing an expansion or something I'd expect from EA or Call of Duty sequels. I guess D1 to D2 and Warcraft 2 to Warcraft 3 gameplay changes were just more impressive to me.

Or maybe I was younger and less jaded and bitter... most likely that.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 19:04 SimplyMonk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:47:
To say the least. Nothing like hoping for a bunch of people to be out of work just because you don't like a product. Maybe one day he'll get laid off and a bunch of people will laugh at him for it. It'd be fitting.

Although he posted it in the most crude way possible, he has a point. I've never liked the "Hate the Sin, but love the Sinner" sort of mentality. If you dislike a product, then you should have commitment to hold responsible the people who created the product.

The game wasn't badly programmed or coded and the artwork/story was solid so I'm sure the artists, writers and coders don't have much to worry about in finding alternative employment (well, no more than artists/writers normally do) with a solid job and experience under their belts and on their resumes.

The designers, project managers and producers though? Fuck those guys. They can stand in unemployment lines until they learn how to come up with an original idea or at least polish things to the point where the customer doesn't mind that it is WoW in Space.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2012, 17:44 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2012, 15:32:
The stock is still overvalued as is. FB is a service, and how they make money is still pretty convoluted and mercurial.

Wouldn't be surprised if you see FB trying to cut deeper into the games/app aspect of itself as a platform. For all the money Zynga makes off of being on FB, Zynga needs FB to survive. FB doesn't need Zynga and with a few good developers they could make a decent stab at their own integrated game development and pull in more revenue besides just skimming 10% - 20% (I forget the exact numbers) off the top in FB Credits for other apps.

As far as advertising goes, my banner blindness is strong on their web app and I don't even think they have advertising in their smart phone app which, incidentally, is also threatening SMS rates as a messenger and that is bound to ruffle a few feathers. Unless they do another site redesign or build on their advertising in better (more annoying) ways, it is only going to continue to decline as new user growth slows and current user's banner blindness adjusts. As a side note, I don't think their growth is slowing because it isn't a bad service or people are hating FB. It is slowing, in my opinion, because it is reaching saturation levels with the general internet accessible public.

It is an exciting time for the company, no doubt, but they seem to have stalled on the next big step. Are they just going to stay an advertising/data mining machine or do they have plans to try and capitalize on something greater? Now that they are public, we might see some details on what they plan for the future.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2012, 18:50.

482 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo