Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 482 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
64. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 29, 2012, 17:58 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 17:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 16:48:
I look at it this way. Three possible endings that really aren't that different from one another make it a lot easier to make Mass Effect 4 or whatever else that want to do to milk the universe for cash. Horrible way to end a space opera, but good way to insure you don't make the next game that complicated for your development team/writers.

Lazy and greedy.

Bioware said any new Mass Effect games would be set either prior or during the Shepard Era. There are no plans for post-Shepard games. (or at least, there weren't. Now that they've fixed their universe, maybe they've changed their minds.)

Creston

Bioware says a lot of "things". This experience has taught me not to believe a single one of them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG
15. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 29, 2012, 17:54 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 00:41:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 13:46:
you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another.
Didn't I read a while back they were closing down one of their games?

Conan and Anarchy Online are still up. Conan might be close to dying though.

Today I learned Anarchy Online is getting/got a new graphics engine. I am mildly intrigued.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 19:20.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 15:35 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:30:
I wondered that also...but now that I look again, the story is listed under images, so I wonder if something got crossed...

Maybe the fact that the image is larger than the article's text and Whedon and Fillion are squinting fairly heavy in that shot? My only guess.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 29, 2012, 14:58 SimplyMonk

I'm falling more and more under the idea that corporations that control vast infrastructures that make it unfeasible for true competition should become government ran services that focus on sustainability and performance. That is tempered, however, by the fact that very few government ran services succeed in either of those two areas and get lost in fiscal irresponsibility and politics.

Ugh. I hate human nature. Cold, calculating machines could do this all much more efficiently.

News Comments > Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG
7. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 13:46 SimplyMonk

As much as I like to rag on Funcom for a number of valid reasons, you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another. So somehow they are staying profitable. That fact alone must be what keeps getting them business.

<waits for looming new story of insurmountable debt driving Funcom into the ground>

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
48. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:41:
I always thought it would be funny to have the mega weapon actually function as a massive, epic version of a mass effect relay, and you get the entire goddamn galaxy of intelligent beings together in Sol system, and everyone is there fighting the Reapers, and Shepard blows the weapon, and it evacs all non-reapers to another galaxy. BAM!. Non Servium. We choose to get off this goddamn merry-go-round. Keep the damn galaxy. There's a hundred billion others to inhabit.

I would of like that a lot more, because the resulting galaxy you went to would be a culmination of the allies and resources you amassed. I could imagine The "Bad" ending would be you make the leap but don't have enough allies or resources to play "Garden of Eden" so you just die out after a few failed generations. Multiple other scenarios could play out based on what geniuses and races you brought with you. Pay some concept artists to draw up some static images for some of them, maybe do a cinematic for a few, write out some scenarios. Far better.

I look at it this way. Three possible endings that really aren't that different from one another make it a lot easier to make Mass Effect 4 or whatever else that want to do to milk the universe for cash. Horrible way to end a space opera, but good way to insure you don't make the next game that complicated for your development team/writers.

Lazy and greedy.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained
20. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 18:32 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 18:06:
But it's still absurdly expensive. I sunk hundreds of dollars into Game of Thrones LCG.

Yeah. Sounds like a model I'd be more comfortable with as at that point you are really just buying a card/board game with regular content expansions. The only gripe I would have there is if you HAVE to buy each expansion to stay competitive or older cycles were no longer legal for general play.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained
17. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 17:20 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:40:
Whenever I see a term like "collectible cards" I just read it as 'money sink'.

Being a recovering CCG enthusiast, I can wholeheartedly agree. I still enjoy the games for the strategy, but I can no longer tolerate the collecting aspect. Not only do you have to be good at the strategy, but you also have to pay to not be at a severe disadvantage. Not exactly "Pay to Win", but close enough for me.

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
8. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:08:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:22:
Not a hypocrite at all...
Not sure how any of that means he's not a hypocrite...

Ellipsis can be used to imply sarcasm. Except when they aren't! Unless you are both implying sarcasm. Then "Bravo".

News Comments > Diablo III Down for Patching
18. Re: Diablo III Down for Patching Jun 19, 2012, 13:30 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:23:
People like finding farming loops, boss runs and stuff like that, it's part of the experience.

Exactly. If feels like they are doing all they can to eliminate the Chinese/Bot farming viability from the game, but in doing that they are basically removing large sections of the Diablo Experience.

I imagine once they get all this nonsense straightened out and they feel like they having the farming under control to where it can't be performed by bots they will release a patch that throws item levels up to 70 or an expansion. That way it would completely invalidate the current pool of "ill-gotten" items.

News Comments > Diablo III Down for Patching
14. Re: Diablo III Down for Patching Jun 19, 2012, 13:17 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 12:31:
It's a game where you farm, stop messing around with the farming. People aren't going to play for the young adult story in a year.

If they were going to have this mentality that the only way you should be able to get gear is by killing mobs, why even bother with all the destructible/lootable environments in the first place? Reduced gold and no items means no one is going to bother anymore.

At the very least they could make white items able to be broken down again which would make environment farming useful for crafting items and a little bit of gold.

News Comments > On BF3 Cheating
32. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 16:04 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 15:47:
It's infuriating that they accept "John's" justifications without push back.

If the same justifications were applied to professional sports, I'm sure you'd see the author's article go up in flames.

"Timmy can't compete in the world of professional football as he is a albino dwarf with a bone condition. To make up for it, he takes a loaded gun into every game and aims for the groin."

Kinda want to play Blood Bowl now.

News Comments > On BF3 Cheating
31. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 16:01 SimplyMonk

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 15:43:
How people rationalize cheating is comical. Cheating is cheating. If you use a cheat you are a flat out dirtbag. If you can't play a game using the rules, why even bother to play.

QFT

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
60. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 15:52 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 14:37:
...people who buy those games "blindly" do so because of the franchise name not the publisher name.

I will say it is harder to do because so many of my loved publishers/developers got gobbled up into large mega-corporations, but there is still a small fanboy in me that takes extra notice when I see "Sqaure-Exix" or "Atlus" listed as a publisher on a game I know next to nothing about. More so when "Square-Enix" was still "Squaresoft". That might have more to do with the fact that I like JRPGs and they are the only real importers/developers of such.

I think it is hard to have that sort of relationship with EA because they publish such a large quantity of titles that you are bound to hate/have bad experiences with at least some of them and that may override in your memory the good. One would hope the good experiences you have your balance out the bad, numerically speaking, but that is up to EA.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2012, 16:07.

News Comments > Epic Assisting Big Huge Games
9. Re: Epic Assisting Big Huge Games Jun 4, 2012, 12:34 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 10:19:
Whole thing is a disaster, but the only finger I'll really point is at the idiot that approved this deal in the first place. Schilling definitely had too big dreams and didn't control his studio or spendings well, but I won't call someone "shady" for being a bad businessman with huge dreams that's offered $100million to realize them.

The more and more I read about the whole affair this seems to be the only thing that makes sense and is believable. It just seems odd to me that you would go to the video game industry in order to empty out unemployment lines. I just don't feel it is a business that you can just throw people at and build a sustainable profit around. It requires skilled and talented people that raw headcount can't make up for and skilled/talented people usually aren't the ones without jobs. When you have developers working with staffs of around 50 employees and sometimes even less, bringing in a studio and having it hire 300 employees just seems like waste.

Especially when your first title, which actually did really well all things considered, needed blockbuster sales on the order of a Halo or CoD game just to break even. That right there should of been a huge warning sign to everyone that this was going to fail. Unless you really have something unique, you don't launch a new IP with those numbers, and KoA:R was far from anything unique.

News Comments > Korean FTC Raids Blizzard Over Diablo 3
20. Re: Korean FTC Raids Blizzard Over Diablo 3 Jun 1, 2012, 12:53 SimplyMonk

This is what happens your the substantial percentage of your country's economy is based on internet cafe's and tax revenue from Starcraft Tournament awards.  

News Comments > Dota 2 F2P & Store Details
11. Re: Dota 2 F2P & Store Details Jun 1, 2012, 12:48 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 01:55:
I find this game to be very boring. It's just so repetitive.

Valid point, but like with most competitive games, repetition is made part of the game to establish a level playing field. Like fighting or sports games. There is no "spikes & lava" field for soccer, although it would make the game more interesting to me.

I miss Mutant League sports games.

48. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2012, 11:57 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on May 31, 2012, 09:13:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 30, 2012, 21:11:
space captain wrote on May 30, 2012, 20:59:
the christian church is well established and even more well leveraged... if you dont think they are pushing an agenda on people then you are so fully retarded that its amazing you are actually able to read written words

Your ideas intrigue me. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Oh god no...don't encourage him.

Well, some of us like to watch train wrecks.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 31, 2012, 11:51 SimplyMonk

Gaikai emerges as Sony acquisition frontrunner

I am intrigued. Still don't think the tech or bandwidth support is there yet for this, but Sony has a lot better chance of getting it done than Gaikai did by itself.

Even if this completely flops and nothing really happens from it, Gaikai has always shown a lot more sense than OnLive has in this frontier. Stay small and focus on something achievable and sell out when you can get a good price.

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2012, 21:11 SimplyMonk

space captain wrote on May 30, 2012, 20:59:
the christian church is well established and even more well leveraged... if you dont think they are pushing an agenda on people then you are so fully retarded that its amazing you are actually able to read written words

Your ideas intrigue me. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

482 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo