Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 502 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
5. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 14:34 SimplyMonk

Hornet303 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:30:
Anyway, it just bums me out that the PC scene is so angry all the time. Its like seeing a spokesman for a certain group on TV representing your group. I just keep saying to myself "we're not all that bad, some people are content".

That is a statement for the human race in general.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans
18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 13:45 SimplyMonk

Raptor wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:12:
John Travolta

Ugh. Please. No. We don't need another sci-fi flick turned into a Scientology recruitment movie. I realize he wouldn't have the creative influence he had in Battlefield Earth because the source isn't L. Ron Hubbard material, but still... Travolta in anything sci-fi leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Raptor wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:12:
Dx3 was more futuristic than Dx1, yet is supposed to have happened before, so go figure.

I think that is more due to the fact that between DX1 and DX3 our understanding and concepts of what the future could (or wish would) entail has evolved alongside our understanding of technology. Plus, DX3 was done by Square who have a unique flair for sci-fi tech so that most likely bumped it up a notch as well.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 13:00 SimplyMonk

J wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:18:
I wonder how many films actually utilised that ability?

The only movie I've ever known to actually have different theaters get different endings was "Clue". Sadly, I never got to see the movie in the theatres and all the endings were included at the end of the video release, but the concept has always been awesome to me as well.

I'm always skeptical of video games movies and after the Final Fantasy movie I have almost no faith in Square to even do good with their own IPs, but that being said... Square has always seemed to me to be a video game company that wants to be a movie company. I would love to see this as being another shot at them doing everything in-house, but Spirits Within and the loses they suffered from it might make that impossible.

Who knows. Maybe they will get someone decent?

News Comments > Project Copernicus Trailer
15. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 11:18 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:13:
Plus the update policy. If there ends up a hack in an MMO it does damage super quickly and needs to be fixed very rapidly. Microsoft takes 2 weeks to certify patches. It doesn't work.

Yes. Very true. Knew I was forgetting something. Not being able to control your patch cycles for an MMO and having to dish out cash to a third part every time you patch is absolutely a deal breaker to any company.

I know Diablo 3 is still playing around with the idea of a console version, but that right there is most likely a big concern for them. Might of been another source of incentive for them to do so much server side as then Blizzard could tweak game play without having to go through Microsoft until the needed to update tool-tips.

News Comments > Project Copernicus Trailer
13. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 11:09 SimplyMonk

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 22:43:
...and last time I checked the only MMO the 360 has is Phantasy Star Online.

I'm not sure if it is still playable on the 360, but Final Fantasy XI was actually the first MMO to be on the 360 and it was launched I think only a few months after the 360 itself launched. Like with Shadowrun being able to play with PC players, however, I think Microsoft had to cut a lot of holes in their XBL network and policies in order to get that done.

I've had some conversations with MMO developers and if I remember correctly, a lot of the reason they don't look to consoles for release is that the consoles have a slightly "walled garden" aspect to their online networks and Microsoft's infrastructure in particular doesn't take kindly to heavy server side code that MMOs require. That and the typical console user usually isn't one to not only pay for XBL, but also pay an additional fee on top of that for their MMO.

Tera had plans initially to be released on the 360. I'm curious if they are going to follow through on them or if Microsoft policies shut that down. FFXIV was PS3 destined as well till the "it is a horrible game so let's remake it" debacle. I'm less familiar with the problems in running an MMO on the PSN however.

Oh. Apparently The Secret World is also supposed to be released on the 360. Think that got nixed as well though.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 11:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2012, 01:19 SimplyMonk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 21:35:
Beckham Kicks Ball At "Injured" Player. Provided instant cure.

See how fast he got up? Soccer is lame as hell. So many drama queens.

I love GIFs like this so much.

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
81. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 23:00 SimplyMonk

Jerykk wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 22:47:
Making longer, deeper and more replayable single-player games? Not so much.

Yeah. Well, I can dream. I suppose my JRPG fetish may of skewed my opinion a bit.

79. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 22:35 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 22:19:
So, you do or don't agree with this?

Whether a used game market should or should not exist (you should be able to sell/gift your game or not) for digital video games isn't so much a question of whether it is "right" or "wrong", because that is bullshit in my opinion.

The question should be if you have a used digital game market, will you like how the industry adjusts to maximize profits in that market? Or you would prefer that things stay the way they are? I can promise you, though, you switch to allowing a digital used game market and the industry will change. For the better or worst.... who knows. The concept might just kill digital games entirely since a digital used game market would be thousands of times more responsive than a physical used market which has to deal with the usual hindrances of retail sales. Make one wrong move as a publisher and there is your entire digital inventory thrown into the used market, killing all new sales in a manner of minutes.

I like change for change's sake though. So sure. I agree with you. Let's mix this shit up!

77. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 22:26 SimplyMonk

The used video game market, in my opinion, only really hinders games that have very low replay-ability. If a game is amazing and you just want to play it again and again, the used game market for the game is non-existent or will only start to grow so late into the product's life cycle that it won't event matter. If a game only takes you two hours to beat and there is really no reason to keep it after that, the use game market will decimate that title.

Games with high replay-ability and extensive, rewarding content will barely even notice that a used game market exists. Short games with low replay-ability will have a very steep decline in sales after the initial release.

Now, of course, there are always exceptions to everything. If a game is very niche and a lot of people pick it up at release, but don't care for it, the title will have a spike in used sales. If a title has a low print run and the main audience happens to be hoarders (like myself), then it will have a small used market.

What this means is that a healthy used market will tend to push publishers into developing either game's with episodic content or games with very high replay-ability, multiplayer or long, rewarding campaigns that the buyer wants to hold onto. Short games, even good ones, would suffer greatly.

Who really knows though. The market is a fickle place that sometimes surprises you. All publishers understand, I believe, is that in no scenario does the used game market benefit them or their bottom line. You might be able to argue that the existence of the market makes it easier for user's to cough up $60 for a title, but that is a delicate balancing act and can go either way in the long run.

75. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 22:09 SimplyMonk

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 19:46:
That is actually a horribly flawed argument.

Perhaps I attacked the problem in the wrong way and used too confusing of examples. I was merely trying to point out that just because you can sell bookends in the used market and the bookend industry doesn't suffer for it does not mean the same holds true for all industries, especially media which has a completely different set of design and manufacturing costs/processes.

That was my entire point. I was not trying to say one way or the other that the media used market was good or bad. Just that bookends aren't video games so comparing the two is, at the very root, is flawed logic.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 20:15:
Ok, thank you. Now I understand where the confusion is. Apparently you missed it earlier when I said.

Ugh. I didn't. I was just trying to say that you can't compare the two industries. Sorry. I choose bad examples to get my point across.

59. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 19:31 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 18:47:
Are you saying if I am able/allowed to resell my software it makes the software business no longer viable?

I was merely trying to bring to light that you can't compare manufactured goods and the economics that surround them to software and their economics because that are simply two different types of products. A Rolls-Royce has far different regulations and manufacturing costs/concerns than making toothpicks.

Just because Product A is composed of Atoms and Product B is composed of Atoms, doesn't mean that the policies and economics surrounding the two products are interchangeable.

Let me try a simple example. When you buy a Bookend, the manufacturer makes a profit on your purchase. It cost them $1 to make, you bought it for $5. You are free to do whatever the fuck you want with it now because the maker of the bookend got the profit her deserved.

When you buy Assassin's Creed, the publisher does not make a profit. It cost them $30,000,000 to make, you bought it for $60. They need another 500,000 of you just to break even. If at this point, before they his that break even point you start handing out your copy to friends, than that makes it that much harder for them to hit the break even point.

Sure, they can make more copies for less than a penny, but eventually the market will reach saturation and no one will need Assassin's Creed and they can't sell anymore to be able to break even.

Can you see the difference now?

48. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:54 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:35:
If it was as simple a New and Used button on Steam like I used in my example, publishers would flock to F2P Cash Shops like preteen girls to a Justin Bieber concert.

Hmm... I don't know. I might actually prefer it if I had to pay $2.50 to proceed to the next chapter in some games if the initial buy-in was like $10. That would save me a lot of cash as I would be paying purely for the enjoyment I got.

Chapters 1-2 - $10
Chapters 3-10 - $2.50 each

Not feeling like you are getting your money's worth? You are out $10 at most. Not sure what this would do to the economy of design and development, but from a user's standpoint I'm not sure that sounds too bad.

47. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:42 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:22:
Bookends -- I have bookends on my shelf that are as good as the day I bought them. Are they not mine? Can I not sell them?

The economy surrounding media can't be directed related to material manufactured goods. The design, manufacturing, costs and restrictions are just to different to use this sort of logic.

Video games can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000,00 to design, product and distribute. My numbers are a little arbitrary but imagine comparing the development of Braid to the development of Assassin's Creed. Taking that situation, you'll sell copies of Braid for $10 a piece but copies of Assassin's Creed go for $60 a piece. Apply that to bookends and that doesn't seem fair. If one bookend cost 6,000 times more to design, develop and distribute than another, you'd expect it to cost at least 6,000 times more.

Then take into account that a large amount of the cost in developing the bookend lies in its manufacturing, materials and shipping whereas with media you have all of the cost bound up in design with the rest being very minor and you begin to see the difference and reason why these aren't the same situations and need different regulations.

Hell. Just wait until 3D Printers become mainstream. Then you'll see all this shit coming about with manufactured products as well. LEGO will throw a bitch fit about people making their own.

39. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:08 SimplyMonk

Kajetan wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:02:
NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 15:57:
To those people I would ask: Where does the developer or publisher make their money in this utopia?
From selling games like they do now.

I am baffled by the level of paranoia and hysteria regarding used games or reselling games. There is a distinct lack of simple economic understanding fueling this paranoia. Used sale are natural part of the videogame industry since its humble beginnings and now, suddenly its worse than piracy? Come on ...

Completely anecdotal on my part, but before GameStop came around, I never saw a situation where a brand new game I wanted to purchase was on the shelf for $50 new and then right next to it the exact same game for $45 used, 5 days after the release date.

Yeah, used game sales always existed, but I think the scale that we now see them being sold has changed since GameStop pushes them as their bread and butter and has pretty much eaten up most of the other Video Game Retailers having an estimated 60% of the market. Except for the Omni-Stores like Walmart and Best Buy that is.

37. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:00 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 15:37:
Ten years ago, few of these techniques were being used, and rarely if so.

I would also imagine that their install base has increased over the last few years. $60 price point may not have changed, but the quantity of product they move has. Also take into account new regional markets that have opened up.

7. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

...a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period...

You now only own a license for one year. Enjoy.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
30. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 3, 2012, 11:16 SimplyMonk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:43:
... fail to understand that one of the biggest lobbying industries anywhere (big telecom) is firmly against stuff like this.

A thousand times this. Ugh. All I can do is pray night and day that the telecom industry wakes up and realize that there is more to be gained by investing in their infrastructure than trying to do bullshit like bandwidth caps in order to drive profits. With things as they are, if I saw a bill come across the ballot asking if I wanted to raise my taxes by 200% so that the government could offer a competing broadband internet service, I'd be voting yes all the way.

At least then we might have a better chance at getting a service that focuses on performance and not raking in profits. I know to expect that from any government entity in itself is somewhat of a pipe dream, but something needs to be done about the infrastructure monopoly these companies have.

21. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 13:48 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:20:
Backwards compatibility is the current rumor.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. Give me Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of the Dragoon and I'll pay a reasonable fee to do some retro gaming. If they price old games around what the Wii charges (but hopefully less) I'm all for this.

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:05:
Dave Perry gets paid, moves along to next endorsement deal.

As an aside, I met with Dave Perry and the developers a few times a couple years ago while they were building up Gaikai. He was more than simply an endorsement in this case.

20. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 13:46 SimplyMonk

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:56:
Call me old-fashioned, but I would love to SEE a X360 game (actually any AAA title) streamed to a PC.

Well, the current rumor is Windows 8 is supposed to be fully integrated with the "Xbox Next" and Xbox Live. What that means is anyone's guess but there is a lot or rumors out there that you will be able to play Arcade games on your PC or Xbox. I doubt they would allow you to stick your Xbox DvD into a PC and have it playable, but maybe digital copies would be able to be played on either platform.

The next Xbox is basically going to be a Windows 8 machine so there really isn't much reason they couldn't run the software on both. Metro all the way apparently.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2012, 13:54.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 00:16 SimplyMonk

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:04:
Another Grim Fandango with Tim Schafer.

Take all my money.

A thousand times "Yes".

502 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo