Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 536 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
16. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 13:53 SimplyMonk

RailWizard wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 13:40:
Their games aren't even worth all this DRM.

I'm already boycotting them, feel like I need to escalate now, but how. lol

Actively pirate them? Make a bunch of of real looking "Assassin Creed: Brotherhood" CDs with pirated versions on them and leave them lying around at playgrounds, subways, internet cafes, Starbucks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2012, 12:04 SimplyMonk

Hoping things turn out all right for your pups. Came home one night to find our eldest white Husky seemingly covered in blood. After an initial freak out we realized it was more pink than red. Then we found the pink pen she had gotten hold of. How she managed to get it all over her we'll never know. >_<

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 14:56 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:34:
Ask anyone on the street to name even a handful of other athletes beside them and you just get blank looks.

I know you are probably just using this as a turn of phrase, but asking people on the street anything (especially in America) is a guaranteed way to get a blank look on just about every single relevant subject matter.

People on streets are dumb. Edjumakatid people are in cars or working.

EDIT: I will say in countries/communities where you don't need a car, the populace is less work-a-holic and everything is in walking distance or there is adequate public transportation, this may not hold true.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 15:07.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert on Returning to Monkey Island
13. Re: Ron Gilbert on Returning to Monkey Island Jul 26, 2012, 17:42 SimplyMonk

deqer wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:31:
nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 15:47:
why are we jealous of deqer? Is it your ham handed english skills?

Everything I say is filled with wisdom.

Wisdom

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
64. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 19:50 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:46:
People defending Windows ME, I've truly seen everything now.

Hell's Hockey team just won the Cup.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
31. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:32 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:42:
Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:37:
I have been ignoring all the Windows 8 news because I simply don't care, but the whole "compete with Steam" thing kind of got my interest up a little. If someone could give me the quick and dirty: In what way is Windows 8 competition with Steam?

Microsoft has cooked Xbox Live functionality into Windows 8 in the form of an app that tie video, music and game purchases together. Steam doesn't have much to fear, it's an improvement over GFWL but just barely and it won't appeal to anyone but casual gamers who are already married to the XBL platform.

I don't know how much merit there is to it, but in addition to this I heard that Microsoft is also intending to wire the Xbox Next and Windows 8 platforms the exact same so developers can just code for one environment and have it usable on both the PC and the Xbox. As it was explained to me, this was an attempt by MS to cut developer costs while at the same time expanding their platforms (to Microsoft Platforms).

I could see some personal value if I could buy a game that is playable on my PC or my Xbox, but I'm not sure if that is the path this is going to go down. Most likely just XBL games will be playable on both platforms. Who knows though. It is essentially an attempt to make both platforms one.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 12:41 SimplyMonk

Pure streaming has take a huge hit in content as of late, in my opinion. Used to have a large number of options there, but in the last year I would say a lot of good stuff has been taken down. It is honestly hard to say that Netflix Streaming is any better than just getting an Amazon Prime account which has basically the same streaming content plus Kindle library and 2-day free shipping.

Hulu has a lot more TV as well that Netflix doesn't have.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jul 24, 2012, 19:14 SimplyMonk

Yeah. I would be extremely sad to see THQ go under. What they've done with the Warhammer 40K franchise I find very well done and, as a former 40K player, very true to the source material.

Relic by itself is deserving of salvation.

Too bad they had to get so wrapped up with the kiddie elements of their business but I'm not sure if that was their true downfall.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 14:59 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:17:
...the battle mechanics were incredibly shallow.

I agree pretty much verbatim, but actually finished the game. The only part I will disagree with you on is that the battle mechanics actually worked out fairly well for me. I thought it was the strongest point of the game, although I know that isn't saying much, and compared to previous battle systems I don't see how it is any more shallow especially with titles like Final Fantasy VIII and IX. I think what I enjoyed best about it is that I didn't have to completely micromanage my healers and support characters unless I felt like it. Plus it was visually stunning using Lightning or Fang as your main character, but that is pure personal opinion.

Although I can't speak for your tastes, I do hear that FFXIII-2 improved almost every aspect of FFXIII but left the combat style in. I have it, but haven't had time to crack the cover yet (mainly due to my fiance wanting to beat XIII first ;P), but I hear good things from friends a lot more picky than I.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 15:50.

News Comments > Make Leisure Suit Larry Developer Switch
2. Re: Make Leisure Suit Larry Developer Switch Jul 24, 2012, 14:50 SimplyMonk

Lobster wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:15:
This game's time is long past. Add to that the recent concern over the depiction of women in video games and the best thing they can do with this thing is bury it and pretend it never existed.

I believe the customer for this type of game has already learned Japanese and moved on to better (and more disturbing) things.

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found?
14. Re: Diablo III Wizard Bug Fix; Barbarian Bug Found? Jul 24, 2012, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:47:
For some reason your theory on companies making busywork for players (which does have some validity) reminds me of this guild post from a recruiting section about their Guild Wars 2 requirements.

Seriously. I've gotten jobs with less paperwork and requirements.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 23:43 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 21:51:
I spent $70 in the sale but got 7 AAA titles for that:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Empire Total War
Borderlands
Oblivion GOTY
Dragon Age
KOTOR

Should keep me going until the next Steam sale this winter, or,more probably next summer (plus still have to finish ME 2 and DXHR from the last sale). :-)

Your grandchildren would be dead and buried before you explored that list of games to their full extent. Zombie gaming!

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
50. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 19:53 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 19:38:
eunichron wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 19:31:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 17:56:
De-Leveling system that encourages higher levels to aid lower levels or allow friends that don't level as fast to stay engaged

This is, in my opinion, a terrible feature that I wish they had not left in. It removes any sense of character progression. What does my level even matter if my level is always automatically adjusted to fit the zone I'm in? I would have preferred a full skill-based system like UO's, or even a hybrid system like TES/Skyrim. There's just no point in having character progression marked by levels if the levels are meaningless.

They couldn't do that without a mob tagging system which would ruin most of the events if a higher level could just waltz in and smoke everything. I find leveling to be an antiquated measurement of character progression but most people can't identify with a purely skill based system. I think they went for the most sensible hybrid that could succeed in the market right now.

Agreed. A point I hadn't thought of. On a more personal note, I enjoy playing one character only, but play with my fiance who likes to max out her character slots. This system allows me to focus on that one character, and possibly even get rewards comparable to my level although I haven't tested this, and still be able to play with all of her alts and not feel like I'm making the game cheap or too easy for her by overpowering everything.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
40. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 17:56 SimplyMonk

Yakubs wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:11:
I'm pretty confused by the positive reception from everyone, to be honest.

I don't see why it is so hard for you to understand the positive reception. It is one of the few MMOs out there not trying to be the "Next WoW" which by itself should merit a positive outlook. If that isn't enough:

No subscription (arguably a cash-shop isn't better, but they have to feed the hamsters somehow)
Unique fantasy world (in that it isn't orcs, elves and humans)
Slightly more engaging combat style (evade system/cross-class combos)
A modest attempt to break away from Tank/Healer/DPS party mechanic
Realm v Realm Improved over DaoC's which was the current king (in my opinion)
Training, Auction House, Mail, Inventory, Crafting systems that don't punish the player for not being in the capital city
Elimination of mob tagging and increased cooperation and sense of community (may break down if starting zones don't stay populated)
De-Leveling system that encourages higher levels to aid lower levels or allow friends that don't level as fast to stay engaged
Not ran by Blizzard, EA or Funcom

These are only a start of a number of subtle and not so subtle differences between the current crop of MMOs and GW2 that make it very deserving of a positive initial reception. Who knows what the first 6 months will hold after that, but there is no reason not to give it the benefit of the doubt given the last couple of Beta weekends.

Might not be your cup of tea, and with your complaints I don't see why you'd consider playing an MMO at all, but understanding why people are positive about it isn't hard.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:47 SimplyMonk

Guess we got lucky with our pups. Thunderstorms are extremely rare here in San Diego and fireworks occur only slightly more frequently but neither seems to raise much a reaction from them. The only thing I really worried about was the drills accompanied with loud booms the local Marine base does at random times during the night or day, but my pups barely seem to notice at all. That and when the fire alarm beeps or even goes off during cooking, they seem like the couldn't care less or if they do it is more like, "Could you stop being a moron and replace the battery or open a window when you cook? Thanks I'm going back to sleep."

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:43:
Yeah, last year we had activities that you could earn tickets for, and then trade those in for items. Kinda missed that this year.

I think they are still wrestling with the fallout they had with the bots/fake accounts that seemed to plague the holiday sale's coal farming. Doubt you'll see a involved sale like that again until they can come up with a scheme that eliminates or at least reduces exploitation.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2012, 14:52.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:41 SimplyMonk

kanniballl wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:36:
If it's not interesting... and IF I bought the console near release (which is rare) then I might buy an extra "trash" game just so I have more than 1 game to play on it. But I usually buy consoles a year after release.

All Ubisoft is thinking is that they are looking at the data and launch titles for a console get a significant boost in sales, mainly due to a limited market but new features/graphics add to that as well. They aren't thinking "what can we do that is new or interesting and can really get people excited". They are thinking "how do we sell more units without spending more money or having talent and original ideas".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2012, 14:30 SimplyMonk

Wow. A honestly good use for Facebook/Twitter. Now, is it a replacement for actually going to visit your elderly relatives? No, but I can definitely see how it can help them cope with a constantly shrinking social circle as the near the end of their lives.

Curious if the Millennial generation are going to be hit harder by depression in their elder years, due to being used to a high level of social contact, or if their internet social skills will give them a ready source of interaction that staves off the depression.

That is to say if they aren't eaten by zombies or radioactive mutants before they get that old.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:24 SimplyMonk

I find it telling that he isn't talking about how the current generation is falling behind in terms of performance, storage space or features. He is talking about how people don't like new IPs unless there is excitement surrounding it with a new console. That is bullshit.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:30:
So basically what Ubisoft is saying is that it's a lot easier for them to put crap out when there is excitement surrounding a new console and people will buy anything for it.

Exactly. If your IP is "good enough" I don't really think that anyone will mind the fact that it started late in the console cycle. He is looking for a way to maximize sales without doing any work himself. Not deliver a deserving product. Shyster.

News Comments > Street Fighter X Tekken on GFWL Now; Steam This Week
4. Re: Street Fighter X Tekken on GFWL Now; Steam This Week Jul 22, 2012, 22:51 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Jul 22, 2012, 19:53:
GFWL Is a death sentence.

Didn't seem to have a problem with GFWL when playing Dawn of War II, but then again, I just played single player. I think GFWL is on its way out though, so it shouldn't be a problem in the near future.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
37. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 22, 2012, 00:35 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 18:26:
Anyway, what loot chest are you referring to?

This. The extra digital stuff is just bonus. My fiance and I felt this alone was worth the purchase.

536 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo