Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 451 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > EU to Allow Digital Software Resales?
48. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:54 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:35:
If it was as simple a New and Used button on Steam like I used in my example, publishers would flock to F2P Cash Shops like preteen girls to a Justin Bieber concert.

Hmm... I don't know. I might actually prefer it if I had to pay $2.50 to proceed to the next chapter in some games if the initial buy-in was like $10. That would save me a lot of cash as I would be paying purely for the enjoyment I got.

Chapters 1-2 - $10
Chapters 3-10 - $2.50 each

Not feeling like you are getting your money's worth? You are out $10 at most. Not sure what this would do to the economy of design and development, but from a user's standpoint I'm not sure that sounds too bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:42 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:22:
Bookends -- I have bookends on my shelf that are as good as the day I bought them. Are they not mine? Can I not sell them?

The economy surrounding media can't be directed related to material manufactured goods. The design, manufacturing, costs and restrictions are just to different to use this sort of logic.

Video games can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $30,000,00 to design, product and distribute. My numbers are a little arbitrary but imagine comparing the development of Braid to the development of Assassin's Creed. Taking that situation, you'll sell copies of Braid for $10 a piece but copies of Assassin's Creed go for $60 a piece. Apply that to bookends and that doesn't seem fair. If one bookend cost 6,000 times more to design, develop and distribute than another, you'd expect it to cost at least 6,000 times more.

Then take into account that a large amount of the cost in developing the bookend lies in its manufacturing, materials and shipping whereas with media you have all of the cost bound up in design with the rest being very minor and you begin to see the difference and reason why these aren't the same situations and need different regulations.

Hell. Just wait until 3D Printers become mainstream. Then you'll see all this shit coming about with manufactured products as well. LEGO will throw a bitch fit about people making their own.

39. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:08 SimplyMonk

Kajetan wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 16:02:
NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 15:57:
To those people I would ask: Where does the developer or publisher make their money in this utopia?
From selling games like they do now.

I am baffled by the level of paranoia and hysteria regarding used games or reselling games. There is a distinct lack of simple economic understanding fueling this paranoia. Used sale are natural part of the videogame industry since its humble beginnings and now, suddenly its worse than piracy? Come on ...

Completely anecdotal on my part, but before GameStop came around, I never saw a situation where a brand new game I wanted to purchase was on the shelf for $50 new and then right next to it the exact same game for $45 used, 5 days after the release date.

Yeah, used game sales always existed, but I think the scale that we now see them being sold has changed since GameStop pushes them as their bread and butter and has pretty much eaten up most of the other Video Game Retailers having an estimated 60% of the market. Except for the Omni-Stores like Walmart and Best Buy that is.

37. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 16:00 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 15:37:
Ten years ago, few of these techniques were being used, and rarely if so.

I would also imagine that their install base has increased over the last few years. $60 price point may not have changed, but the quantity of product they move has. Also take into account new regional markets that have opened up.

7. Re: EU to Allow Digital Software Resales? Jul 3, 2012, 11:43 SimplyMonk

...a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period...

You now only own a license for one year. Enjoy.

News Comments > Sony to Acquire Gaikai
30. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 3, 2012, 11:16 SimplyMonk

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 16:43:
... fail to understand that one of the biggest lobbying industries anywhere (big telecom) is firmly against stuff like this.

A thousand times this. Ugh. All I can do is pray night and day that the telecom industry wakes up and realize that there is more to be gained by investing in their infrastructure than trying to do bullshit like bandwidth caps in order to drive profits. With things as they are, if I saw a bill come across the ballot asking if I wanted to raise my taxes by 200% so that the government could offer a competing broadband internet service, I'd be voting yes all the way.

At least then we might have a better chance at getting a service that focuses on performance and not raking in profits. I know to expect that from any government entity in itself is somewhat of a pipe dream, but something needs to be done about the infrastructure monopoly these companies have.

21. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 13:48 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:20:
Backwards compatibility is the current rumor.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. Give me Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of the Dragoon and I'll pay a reasonable fee to do some retro gaming. If they price old games around what the Wii charges (but hopefully less) I'm all for this.

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:05:
Dave Perry gets paid, moves along to next endorsement deal.

As an aside, I met with Dave Perry and the developers a few times a couple years ago while they were building up Gaikai. He was more than simply an endorsement in this case.

20. Re: Sony to Acquire Gaikai Jul 2, 2012, 13:46 SimplyMonk

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:56:
Call me old-fashioned, but I would love to SEE a X360 game (actually any AAA title) streamed to a PC.

Well, the current rumor is Windows 8 is supposed to be fully integrated with the "Xbox Next" and Xbox Live. What that means is anyone's guess but there is a lot or rumors out there that you will be able to play Arcade games on your PC or Xbox. I doubt they would allow you to stick your Xbox DvD into a PC and have it playable, but maybe digital copies would be able to be played on either platform.

The next Xbox is basically going to be a Windows 8 machine so there really isn't much reason they couldn't run the software on both. Metro all the way apparently.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2012, 13:54.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 00:16 SimplyMonk

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 1, 2012, 20:04:
Another Grim Fandango with Tim Schafer.

Take all my money.

A thousand times "Yes".

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
64. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 29, 2012, 17:58 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 17:14:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 16:48:
I look at it this way. Three possible endings that really aren't that different from one another make it a lot easier to make Mass Effect 4 or whatever else that want to do to milk the universe for cash. Horrible way to end a space opera, but good way to insure you don't make the next game that complicated for your development team/writers.

Lazy and greedy.

Bioware said any new Mass Effect games would be set either prior or during the Shepard Era. There are no plans for post-Shepard games. (or at least, there weren't. Now that they've fixed their universe, maybe they've changed their minds.)

Creston

Bioware says a lot of "things". This experience has taught me not to believe a single one of them.

News Comments > Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG
15. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 29, 2012, 17:54 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 00:41:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 13:46:
you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another.
Didn't I read a while back they were closing down one of their games?

Conan and Anarchy Online are still up. Conan might be close to dying though.

Today I learned Anarchy Online is getting/got a new graphics engine. I am mildly intrigued.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2012, 19:20.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Firefly Reunion Jun 29, 2012, 15:35 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2012, 15:30:
I wondered that also...but now that I look again, the story is listed under images, so I wonder if something got crossed...

Maybe the fact that the image is larger than the article's text and Whedon and Fillion are squinting fairly heavy in that shot? My only guess.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 29, 2012, 14:58 SimplyMonk

I'm falling more and more under the idea that corporations that control vast infrastructures that make it unfeasible for true competition should become government ran services that focus on sustainability and performance. That is tempered, however, by the fact that very few government ran services succeed in either of those two areas and get lost in fiscal irresponsibility and politics.

Ugh. I hate human nature. Cold, calculating machines could do this all much more efficiently.

News Comments > Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG
7. Re: Funcom Plans LEGO Minifigure MMOG Jun 28, 2012, 13:46 SimplyMonk

As much as I like to rag on Funcom for a number of valid reasons, you can't ague against the fact that they haven't closed their doors and all their games are still running in one form or another. So somehow they are staying profitable. That fact alone must be what keeps getting them business.

<waits for looming new story of insurmountable debt driving Funcom into the ground>

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
48. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 15:41:
I always thought it would be funny to have the mega weapon actually function as a massive, epic version of a mass effect relay, and you get the entire goddamn galaxy of intelligent beings together in Sol system, and everyone is there fighting the Reapers, and Shepard blows the weapon, and it evacs all non-reapers to another galaxy. BAM!. Non Servium. We choose to get off this goddamn merry-go-round. Keep the damn galaxy. There's a hundred billion others to inhabit.

I would of like that a lot more, because the resulting galaxy you went to would be a culmination of the allies and resources you amassed. I could imagine The "Bad" ending would be you make the leap but don't have enough allies or resources to play "Garden of Eden" so you just die out after a few failed generations. Multiple other scenarios could play out based on what geniuses and races you brought with you. Pay some concept artists to draw up some static images for some of them, maybe do a cinematic for a few, write out some scenarios. Far better.

I look at it this way. Three possible endings that really aren't that different from one another make it a lot easier to make Mass Effect 4 or whatever else that want to do to milk the universe for cash. Horrible way to end a space opera, but good way to insure you don't make the next game that complicated for your development team/writers.

Lazy and greedy.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained
20. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 18:32 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 18:06:
But it's still absurdly expensive. I sunk hundreds of dollars into Game of Thrones LCG.

Yeah. Sounds like a model I'd be more comfortable with as at that point you are really just buying a card/board game with regular content expansions. The only gripe I would have there is if you HAVE to buy each expansion to stay competitive or older cycles were no longer legal for general play.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained
17. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 17:20 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:40:
Whenever I see a term like "collectible cards" I just read it as 'money sink'.

Being a recovering CCG enthusiast, I can wholeheartedly agree. I still enjoy the games for the strategy, but I can no longer tolerate the collecting aspect. Not only do you have to be good at the strategy, but you also have to pay to not be at a severe disadvantage. Not exactly "Pay to Win", but close enough for me.

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
8. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 22, 2012, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:08:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:22:
Not a hypocrite at all...
Not sure how any of that means he's not a hypocrite...

Ellipsis can be used to imply sarcasm. Except when they aren't! Unless you are both implying sarcasm. Then "Bravo".

News Comments > Diablo III Down for Patching
18. Re: Diablo III Down for Patching Jun 19, 2012, 13:30 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 13:23:
People like finding farming loops, boss runs and stuff like that, it's part of the experience.

Exactly. If feels like they are doing all they can to eliminate the Chinese/Bot farming viability from the game, but in doing that they are basically removing large sections of the Diablo Experience.

I imagine once they get all this nonsense straightened out and they feel like they having the farming under control to where it can't be performed by bots they will release a patch that throws item levels up to 70 or an expansion. That way it would completely invalidate the current pool of "ill-gotten" items.

News Comments > Diablo III Down for Patching
14. Re: Diablo III Down for Patching Jun 19, 2012, 13:17 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 12:31:
It's a game where you farm, stop messing around with the farming. People aren't going to play for the young adult story in a year.

If they were going to have this mentality that the only way you should be able to get gear is by killing mobs, why even bother with all the destructible/lootable environments in the first place? Reduced gold and no items means no one is going to bother anymore.

At the very least they could make white items able to be broken down again which would make environment farming useful for crafting items and a little bit of gold.

451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo