Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 530 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 19:38 SimplyMonk

MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 19:11:
Longjocks wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 18:34:
"THI4F"... What's a thiaf?

HAHAHA! Yeah, it is a stretch isn't it. It would have worked for Thief 3 (Thi3f), but Thi4f....not so much! Thumbsdown

It's better than "Army of T|||O: Devil's Cartel" at least.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
12. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 14:13 SimplyMonk

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:50:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.
Really? I loved FFXI back when in the day, I played it like crazy. But the thought of starting a new character and everyone else is level 99 scares me. I remember I would sit around hours waiting for a group, and I was a red mage.

Ugh. Red Mage here as well. I remember waiting forever for a group, finally getting one, wiping first pull or some moron fishing up a monster during a pull and deleveling. Boo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 12:12 SimplyMonk

Good to hear it most likely isn't anything serious. I might of considered the belly band for our youngest pup when she was training, but with their thick hair I don't relish the idea of giving her a bath every time to get rid of the smell when she had an accident.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today
29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 16:35 SimplyMonk

eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 16:32:
...but if I'm still stuck on the same server at launch... well fuck that and fuck them.

It will be wiped. No worries about that. Curious though. Can you delete all your current characters and then make a new one on a different server? If not, that might be a bug on their end.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 16:10 SimplyMonk

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:46:
eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:26:
Well, got in and tried to make a character on the server my friends and I had decided on... apparently accounts are server locked, it was asking me to pay 1,800 gems for a transfer, even after deleting all my characters. Hopefully the wipe before launch includes account settings, otherwise I'll be demanding a refund if I can't play with my friends without paying.

Ouch that's certainly a new thing. The group I'm going to be playing with changed our server in the last beta since the one we were on prior was full at the time. I guess those types of things are how Arena plans to make money with no sub fees.

Hmm. Not sure if it being enforced is no or not, but that was the plan for the game for at least a couple months now. You can still play your character on any server with any of your friends. You'll just won't be able to WvW with them. I imagine it might be revenue based, but it also might be that they want to discourage an account have characters on both sides of a WvW fight.

Obviously though, you can just buy two copies of the game.

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:40:
The game is 100% recycled MMO fads, there is nothing it adds to the genre, just piles on the stuff people expect to see.

The 'cooperative play' was already done, and done 100% better in WAR. GW2s version of running around getting experience on events with people isn't immersion, it's gimmicky and requires no cooperation at all. Higher level quests only numbers, not strategy. And character build doesn't matter, because there is no character specialization at all which is what made GW1 a gem.

GW2 is a bland game on many fronts. People may slog through it for a couple months at best if they try real hard to want to like it.

Cheddar-Jack cheese is 100% recycled dairy fad, there is nothing it adds to the flavor, just piles jack cheese onto cheddar which people already love.

The 'blending of cheese' was already done, and done 100% in Colby-Jack. Cheddar-Jacks version of just throwing in the most popular cheese in the world isn't creativity, it's gimmicky and requires no originality at all. Higher quality versions just add more cheddar, not jack. And consistency doesn't matter, because there is no standard for the Cheddar to Jack ratio at all which is what made Colby-Jack a gem.

Cheddar-Jack is a bland cheese on many fronts. People may slop it onto a cracker or a couple sandwiches at best if they try real hard to want to like it.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 12:55.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 11:24 SimplyMonk

Good luck. Hope your pups are all right and it is nothing serious.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 16:31 SimplyMonk

Bet wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 14:49:
Monopolization is bad...monopolization is bad...where did I hear that before...oh yeah, middle & high school. Do they even bother teaching that anymore, or are we just resigned to the monopolization of everything eventually, now?

However, in college they teach you to forget all that other bull-shit. Money is the only thing that matters. Now pay your tuition or get lost.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 12:51 SimplyMonk

The whole relationship between Zynga and Facebook is interesting. FB generates 10% of its revenue from Zynga, but yet they are constantly implementing new restrictions on "game spam" which directly hurts Zynga's sales which has some pretty solid numbers supporting the more "spammy" a game is, the higher its install base and the more revenue it tends to generate.

FB might just be trying to get ahead of the bubble burst though. Why annoy a large number of your users, to the point of deactivating their accounts, just to help boost a fad in Zynga's titles? Better to sacrifice a little revenue now in order to cut back on account deactivation and build a better relationship with the user and more stable revenue down the road.

As it has been shown by the failure of their own website service, Zynga needs FB. FB doesn't need Zynga. Zynga's main goal is to shake that platform dependence now, but it only seems to know how to make games that rely on the FB model as its iPhone titles have been fairly weak in comparison.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
10. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 17:19 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:11:
This still surprises me, given Bioware's reluctance to use the F2P model for Warhammer...

I'm pretty sure if you asked anyone at EA if they plan on doing the same model for WAR, you'd get a:

"What is WAR? Is that a title we own?"

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:04 SimplyMonk

Rhino wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:35:
I honestly didn't think that they would do this so quickly after launch, assuming that they would be more stubborn.

I'm glad they at least had some sense to make this move before the game completely died.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 12:19 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:16:
Turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy is silly at best.

It is Hollywood as usual now. If there is a big attraction to something, they make it a trilogy to milk it for more money. I wouldn't say that is necessarily a bad thing though. If you liked a certain subject matter, you probably appreciate that they planned it to be a trilogy as long as the content is quality.

I rarely, if ever, here the argument where people asked for more to be cut out from a source material in order to make the movie shorter. Except for Battlefield Earth. That needed about 4 hours less of film time.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 30, 2012, 20:11 SimplyMonk

eunichron wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 19:53:
...it would be perfectly feasible to build a $500 console that can still do 60 FPS at 1080p, 30 FPS at 1080p would be an absolute minimum.

Exactly. When you know the exact hardware configuration you are coding for (or a really good generic interface), you can make a lot of performance shortcuts that you can't get when you are trying to code for a PC platform that can have a plethora of nuances.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 20:04 SimplyMonk

xornand wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 18:26:
It's odd, I don't know a single sane person that uses Apple products in my personal life. They are either so busy they're crazy females or foppish feminine males that have "emotional problems".

Agreed. Your personal life is odd. You should meet more people.

News Comments > Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw
16. Re: Ubisoft uPlay Security Flaw Jul 30, 2012, 13:53 SimplyMonk

RailWizard wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 13:40:
Their games aren't even worth all this DRM.

I'm already boycotting them, feel like I need to escalate now, but how. lol

Actively pirate them? Make a bunch of of real looking "Assassin Creed: Brotherhood" CDs with pirated versions on them and leave them lying around at playgrounds, subways, internet cafes, Starbucks.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2012, 12:04 SimplyMonk

Hoping things turn out all right for your pups. Came home one night to find our eldest white Husky seemingly covered in blood. After an initial freak out we realized it was more pink than red. Then we found the pink pen she had gotten hold of. How she managed to get it all over her we'll never know. >_<

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 14:56 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:34:
Ask anyone on the street to name even a handful of other athletes beside them and you just get blank looks.

I know you are probably just using this as a turn of phrase, but asking people on the street anything (especially in America) is a guaranteed way to get a blank look on just about every single relevant subject matter.

People on streets are dumb. Edjumakatid people are in cars or working.

EDIT: I will say in countries/communities where you don't need a car, the populace is less work-a-holic and everything is in walking distance or there is adequate public transportation, this may not hold true.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 15:07.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert on Returning to Monkey Island
13. Re: Ron Gilbert on Returning to Monkey Island Jul 26, 2012, 17:42 SimplyMonk

deqer wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:31:
nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 15:47:
why are we jealous of deqer? Is it your ham handed english skills?

Everything I say is filled with wisdom.

Wisdom

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
64. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 19:50 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:46:
People defending Windows ME, I've truly seen everything now.

Hell's Hockey team just won the Cup.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
31. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:32 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:42:
Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:37:
I have been ignoring all the Windows 8 news because I simply don't care, but the whole "compete with Steam" thing kind of got my interest up a little. If someone could give me the quick and dirty: In what way is Windows 8 competition with Steam?

Microsoft has cooked Xbox Live functionality into Windows 8 in the form of an app that tie video, music and game purchases together. Steam doesn't have much to fear, it's an improvement over GFWL but just barely and it won't appeal to anyone but casual gamers who are already married to the XBL platform.

I don't know how much merit there is to it, but in addition to this I heard that Microsoft is also intending to wire the Xbox Next and Windows 8 platforms the exact same so developers can just code for one environment and have it usable on both the PC and the Xbox. As it was explained to me, this was an attempt by MS to cut developer costs while at the same time expanding their platforms (to Microsoft Platforms).

I could see some personal value if I could buy a game that is playable on my PC or my Xbox, but I'm not sure if that is the path this is going to go down. Most likely just XBL games will be playable on both platforms. Who knows though. It is essentially an attempt to make both platforms one.

530 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo