Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 504 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
50. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 19:53 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 19:38:
eunichron wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 19:31:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 17:56:
De-Leveling system that encourages higher levels to aid lower levels or allow friends that don't level as fast to stay engaged

This is, in my opinion, a terrible feature that I wish they had not left in. It removes any sense of character progression. What does my level even matter if my level is always automatically adjusted to fit the zone I'm in? I would have preferred a full skill-based system like UO's, or even a hybrid system like TES/Skyrim. There's just no point in having character progression marked by levels if the levels are meaningless.

They couldn't do that without a mob tagging system which would ruin most of the events if a higher level could just waltz in and smoke everything. I find leveling to be an antiquated measurement of character progression but most people can't identify with a purely skill based system. I think they went for the most sensible hybrid that could succeed in the market right now.

Agreed. A point I hadn't thought of. On a more personal note, I enjoy playing one character only, but play with my fiance who likes to max out her character slots. This system allows me to focus on that one character, and possibly even get rewards comparable to my level although I haven't tested this, and still be able to play with all of her alts and not feel like I'm making the game cheap or too easy for her by overpowering everything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
40. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 17:56 SimplyMonk

Yakubs wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:11:
I'm pretty confused by the positive reception from everyone, to be honest.

I don't see why it is so hard for you to understand the positive reception. It is one of the few MMOs out there not trying to be the "Next WoW" which by itself should merit a positive outlook. If that isn't enough:

No subscription (arguably a cash-shop isn't better, but they have to feed the hamsters somehow)
Unique fantasy world (in that it isn't orcs, elves and humans)
Slightly more engaging combat style (evade system/cross-class combos)
A modest attempt to break away from Tank/Healer/DPS party mechanic
Realm v Realm Improved over DaoC's which was the current king (in my opinion)
Training, Auction House, Mail, Inventory, Crafting systems that don't punish the player for not being in the capital city
Elimination of mob tagging and increased cooperation and sense of community (may break down if starting zones don't stay populated)
De-Leveling system that encourages higher levels to aid lower levels or allow friends that don't level as fast to stay engaged
Not ran by Blizzard, EA or Funcom

These are only a start of a number of subtle and not so subtle differences between the current crop of MMOs and GW2 that make it very deserving of a positive initial reception. Who knows what the first 6 months will hold after that, but there is no reason not to give it the benefit of the doubt given the last couple of Beta weekends.

Might not be your cup of tea, and with your complaints I don't see why you'd consider playing an MMO at all, but understanding why people are positive about it isn't hard.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:47 SimplyMonk

Guess we got lucky with our pups. Thunderstorms are extremely rare here in San Diego and fireworks occur only slightly more frequently but neither seems to raise much a reaction from them. The only thing I really worried about was the drills accompanied with loud booms the local Marine base does at random times during the night or day, but my pups barely seem to notice at all. That and when the fire alarm beeps or even goes off during cooking, they seem like the couldn't care less or if they do it is more like, "Could you stop being a moron and replace the battery or open a window when you cook? Thanks I'm going back to sleep."

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:43:
Yeah, last year we had activities that you could earn tickets for, and then trade those in for items. Kinda missed that this year.

I think they are still wrestling with the fallout they had with the bots/fake accounts that seemed to plague the holiday sale's coal farming. Doubt you'll see a involved sale like that again until they can come up with a scheme that eliminates or at least reduces exploitation.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2012, 14:52.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:41 SimplyMonk

kanniballl wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:36:
If it's not interesting... and IF I bought the console near release (which is rare) then I might buy an extra "trash" game just so I have more than 1 game to play on it. But I usually buy consoles a year after release.

All Ubisoft is thinking is that they are looking at the data and launch titles for a console get a significant boost in sales, mainly due to a limited market but new features/graphics add to that as well. They aren't thinking "what can we do that is new or interesting and can really get people excited". They are thinking "how do we sell more units without spending more money or having talent and original ideas".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2012, 14:30 SimplyMonk

Wow. A honestly good use for Facebook/Twitter. Now, is it a replacement for actually going to visit your elderly relatives? No, but I can definitely see how it can help them cope with a constantly shrinking social circle as the near the end of their lives.

Curious if the Millennial generation are going to be hit harder by depression in their elder years, due to being used to a high level of social contact, or if their internet social skills will give them a ready source of interaction that staves off the depression.

That is to say if they aren't eaten by zombies or radioactive mutants before they get that old.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:24 SimplyMonk

I find it telling that he isn't talking about how the current generation is falling behind in terms of performance, storage space or features. He is talking about how people don't like new IPs unless there is excitement surrounding it with a new console. That is bullshit.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:30:
So basically what Ubisoft is saying is that it's a lot easier for them to put crap out when there is excitement surrounding a new console and people will buy anything for it.

Exactly. If your IP is "good enough" I don't really think that anyone will mind the fact that it started late in the console cycle. He is looking for a way to maximize sales without doing any work himself. Not deliver a deserving product. Shyster.

News Comments > Street Fighter X Tekken on GFWL Now; Steam This Week
4. Re: Street Fighter X Tekken on GFWL Now; Steam This Week Jul 22, 2012, 22:51 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Jul 22, 2012, 19:53:
GFWL Is a death sentence.

Didn't seem to have a problem with GFWL when playing Dawn of War II, but then again, I just played single player. I think GFWL is on its way out though, so it shouldn't be a problem in the near future.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
37. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 22, 2012, 00:35 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 18:26:
Anyway, what loot chest are you referring to?

This. The extra digital stuff is just bonus. My fiance and I felt this alone was worth the purchase.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Jul 22, 2012, 00:30 SimplyMonk

If the certification process is so high, I'm curious how FFXI handled all that nonsense or how any MMO can even advertise that they would consider being on the 360. Well. Not so much that second point. People can advertise pretty much whatever they want. Doesn't need to be truthful.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Development Complete
29. Re: Borderlands 2 Development Complete Jul 20, 2012, 18:15 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 15:34:
Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 15:28:
patience

That's the magic word. You get so much good stuff on these Steam sales for $5-$10 it is unbelievable.
If you want the game on day1 when it is released then
1. you pay the highest price for the game
2. you have to suffer through the bugs and game breaking stuff
3. you end up being all pissed off when they release DLC for the game
4. you end up all pissed off when they release the GOTY of the game for half of what you have paid for the base game
5. you become even more pissed when the GOTY goes on sale for $5 a few months later.

So just wait it out, you get so much more value for your money, if you don't jump the gun and preorder games or get them day1.

Normally, I am the master of patience. Still waiting for Skyrim to hit the $5 I paid for Oblivion plus all of its DLC. My patience, in this case, lost out to me getting a loot chest.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Co-op & Scariness
28. Re: Dead Space 3 Co-op & Scariness Jul 20, 2012, 18:01 SimplyMonk

ASeven wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 16:58:
Lovecraftian horror is at both time extremely hard and extremely simple to pull and Amnesia nailed it.

Couldn't agree more. Really looking forward to the sequel.

25. Re: Dead Space 3 Co-op & Scariness Jul 20, 2012, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 16:36:
Horror is found in many different ways, and not all of it has to be supernatural - very human serial killers can be and often are great horror fodder. But I think the common variable is always the perception of invulnerability, be it an untouchable supernatural force or a brilliant human killer who leaves no trace, doesn't make mistakes, and is always one step ahead of the police.

This statement left me wanting to play "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" again. Or "Amnesia". I almost want to say I would like to see a AAA shot at a Lovecraftian tale, but I know better. In order to pull in AAA required unit sales I don't think I'd like what would be done to the source material.

20. Re: Dead Space 3 Co-op & Scariness Jul 20, 2012, 15:39 SimplyMonk

Dead Space was only scary if you played it on the hardest difficulty, by yourself, at night, in the dark, in a lonely shack in the middle of the deep swampland where news of a prison break at the local swamp mental institution/Nazi experimental gene research facility was just released.

Any change to that formula and the game was just a bunch of predictable encounters that were answered with limb removal and a few cheap scares. The end of the game had me wired and twitchy for a little bit though.

The second one was definitely worst in that even with the above environment, it didn't do as good of a job. Now with the third, there is no reason you HAVE to play it co-op (and to be honest after I play it through SP first, I may not mind) but I hope the SP experience is not tarnished any further.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Adding "All Heroes Free" Mode
6. Re: Heroes of Newerth Adding Jul 19, 2012, 23:11 SimplyMonk

Kobalt wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 16:39:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 14:51:
I doubt LoL hurt this game as much as DotA 2 has. You went to HoN for competitive play. You played LoL just to have a good time. DotA 2 has eaten up the competitive market so that doesn't leave HoN with much left.

This is not true at all. Hon was a ghost town long before the dota 2 beta came out. And LoL had more tourneys long before dota 2 also.

Hmm. I'll take your word for it. I only played HoN regularly up until release. LoL was more of a joke game at that time, in my mind at least, with no real balance.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Kickstarter
4. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Jul 19, 2012, 15:08 SimplyMonk

The fact that they are going tactical turn-based I take as a good sign that they know at least a little of what they are doing... but "meh".

I would be more interested in a project that completely virtualized the pen and paper experience of Shadowrun by supplying an online interface for running your own Shadowrun game. Resources, map builders, character generators, video chat, tactical maps that automatically incorporate game mechanics without having to reference tables and books. Have a couple pre-built runs and campaigns for lazy GMs or a group of gamers where no on wants to GM, but also include tools for a passionate GM to customize and build their own game and then either look for players or hand out logins to their friends.

I see a project/concept like that doing a lot better with pen and paper source material and their audience than trying to convert them into an MMO. Monetization may not have the same dollars as working in the raw pen and paper environment, but your distribution and printing costs would be nothing and you could sell pre-built campaigns, tile-sets for the map builder, different versions of rule-sets or even charge a low subscription.

Anyways, might give this a look. Browser based isn't really a concern unless by that they mean it is going to be Flash. At which point I say "Ugh."

Something like Roll 20, but tuned specifically for Shadowun and better itegration.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 15:46.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Adding "All Heroes Free" Mode
3. Re: Heroes of Newerth Adding Jul 19, 2012, 14:51 SimplyMonk

I doubt LoL hurt this game as much as DotA 2 has. You went to HoN for competitive play. You played LoL just to have a good time. DotA 2 has eaten up the competitive market so that doesn't leave HoN with much left. Not saying HoN isn't a good game, but the only reason to keep with it now is that their style is more preferable to you than DotA 2 or LoL.  

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 20:11 SimplyMonk

Metacritic is useful in the same way that Market Spend is useful, Pre-Order Sales is useful and Actual Sales is useful. They give the publisher/developer some standard tools and metrics to gauge the success or failure of their product in a logically consistent way.

The problem is when the the publisher/developer/consumer any one metric (or even all of them) to be the "END ALL BE ALL" metric that has everything to do with a game's success. Making Metacritic a line item in contract payout and bonuses is about as dumb as you can get. Especially once you consider how Metacritic converts certain scores or a reviews site's bias.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 20:03 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 16:15:
IGN and most other "reviewer" outlets are just pissed cause metacritic has no affiliation with anyone, and allows users to post their own reviews.

Long live metacritic - F IGN.

I'm pretty sure GameSpot owns Metacritic. In addition to that, no one cares about user reviews in the industry. They are meaningless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Frozenbyte give away... Jul 18, 2012, 14:43 SimplyMonk

jimnms wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 14:31:
If it's for Trine 2 CE, I'll trade my Shadowgrounds Survivor key for it. I missed the sale on it.

You can have my coupon if you want. 75% off the Trine 2 CE

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
15. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 16:30 SimplyMonk

PropheT wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:54:
The MMO market is fine, and there's still plenty of people paying for subscriptions. There are more games out there and people are spread out across them, but for the most part they're all doing fine as long as they were created and are run with reasonable expectations of subscriptions.

The fact that Horizons and a number of smaller MMOs still exists is a clear sign to me that there is a level that most MMOs can live at that is well below "WoW" expectations and still deliver to its player base an enjoyable experience, even if it is just a glorified chat room.

504 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo