Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 562 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
29. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 14:32 SimplyMonk

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
...then I'd be just like everyone else

Good to see how you've rationalized it by lying to yourself into thinking everyone is as short-sighted as you.

Oh well. Tragedy of the commons.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
19. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 13:41 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 13:33:
Apart from mucking around with the aesthetic there isn't a lot you can do. Angled keyboards and strange mice never did for most people and what we have now works pretty well. Devices like Kinect are wholly impractical for the average user and most people don't want to stand around using their entire body as a controller when 2 hands will do. so yeah, I'm really curious as to what they think is being overlooked.

Lasers

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
15. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 12:52 SimplyMonk

Get back to me when you have something that I can plug directly into the base of my skull. Till then I'll be waiting here watching Ghost in the Shell and wishing I also got a degree in biology as well as computer science. Then again, that degree might just tell me why that shit will never work, which would just make me sad.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 18:31 SimplyMonk

Bark!  

News Comments > State of The Secret World
7. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 18:30 SimplyMonk

"Meh." - Funcom in a nutshell.  

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
26. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:19 SimplyMonk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:52:
And even if your memory is there, your memory is a completely irrelevant thing to us, who don't have it.

Nothing is forgotten. Private servers will continue to exist as long as there is interest.

It would be nice though if fallen MMOs released the source and server code for people to muck around with. Could see some nice mods/fan games come out of it.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
12. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:27 SimplyMonk

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:19:
Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

I would say that it says a lot about the relative value of IP, versus actual gameplay. Good gameplay keeps players, IP (good or bad) doesn't.

The only value in big-name IP is getting players to take a look at the game in the first place. After that, gameplay is all that matters. And there are plenty of alternative ways to get that first look...many of them cheaper than licensing IP.

Yeah. I agree completely. An expensive IP needs good game play to keep it going. Roleplayers and people that love the IP alone won't keep a game with high costs running. Good game play or cheap costs and a dedicated fan base can keep even a generic game going for years.

My favorite example of this is Horizons, which I'm fairly sure subsists now purely on people who want to role play Dragons.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:44 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:31:
Why not just make them 72 hour bans to begin with?

The severity of the punishment is up to ANET. They set the policies. We agree to live in their little dictatorship. They dole out the punishment as they see fit. Obviously they wish to rule with a cold iron fist which sends multiple message. One of which being that if you don't like their form of dictatorship, you are free to move somewhere else. They don't seek to have a dialogue in cases where the user knowingly violated terms of service or even unknowingly violated them to a large degree as they only banned people who exploited the bug greater than 50 times which I would consider generous.

I'm not really all that bothered if a few miscreants disappear into the shadows never to be heard of again. As with most things though, I might have a different opinion should the Eye of ANET ever turn on me in a way I don't feel is justified. At which point, I quit giving them my time and money.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:19 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:51:
From what I've read here it seems a bit far-reaching to call this an exploit. If they get the prices wrong on a vendor it is the players fault? How about banning the guy who made the change to the vendor from their offices for 72 hours...

Just because you left your keys in the car, doesn't mean that people aren't at fault for getting in and stealing your car. Yeah, it is a dumb move on your part, most insurance companies won't pay out for your policy and you might be held liable for what they do with that car, but it is still grand theft auto for the thief and they still go to jail if you press charges.

I'm sure whoever was responsible for the bug and the team that failed to catch it are catching their fair share of the flak internally at ANET for this.

News Comments > Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced
13. Re: Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced Aug 31, 2012, 13:38 SimplyMonk

MattyC wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:51:
I hold a similar view. None of the stuff was the same once EA got into the mix, but it was at least tolerable. I still enjoyed the campy fun CG and Kane. Once C&C 4 came out I was like... nope... not doing this. I mean they made a C&C game where you don't even have bases. Who thought that was a good idea? Had they played any of the other C&C games?

They tried to turn it into a RTS Arena game like DotA or HoN. EA saw that they didn't have a title in that genre and wanted to jump in. Sadly, they chose the C&C IP to do this with since their brains think all RTS are the same so if WC3 can do it, why not C&C?

As a side note, for some reason I occasionally get an urge to play Renegade again. My brain keeps telling me RTS and FPS should never mix, but my heart keeps wanting it to. Although, I should probably just play Savage II or Sacrifice as they did it a lot better.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 30, 2012, 15:44 SimplyMonk

Blue wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 12:41:
Prostitute of Asia too PC?

J wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 12:41:
Game cost five dolla. You play long time. There's a special place in hell for me.

Great one-liners like these are the only reason I now care about this game. I patiently await the Zero Punctuation review.

PC Gaming > Guild Wars 2 Guild
24. No subject Aug 28, 2012, 16:13 SimplyMonk

Server: Tarnished Coast
Char Engineer - Cid Felhorn

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2012, 16:18 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 16:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 27, 2012, 13:29:
It always amazes me to read what kind of scary weather you got there in the States. And honestly, I have no idea how you can die in a storm.
It varies widely across the country. You have to remember how large the US is. Here in the central part of the country the only real issues are tornados and flooding. Tornados are totally random. You can live in "tornado alley" and never see, let alone get hit by, a tornado for years. Flooding is pretty avoidable, don't live in a flood plain. But for people on the coasts...totally different.

San Diego, Pacific Coastline. Here all we really worry about is fire and earthquakes, although I don't think the county in particular has had a really bad earthquake in as long as I can remember. Fires on the other hand can be a real problem due to the dry brush and people generally being morons.

I guess there is also the potential for tsunamis, but due to the Pacific coast structure, it is less of a concern this far south unless something happens right off the coast.

News Comments > 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold
14. Re: 38 Studios Assets & IP To Be Sold Aug 24, 2012, 13:54 SimplyMonk

PHJF wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 01:04:
Actually, the IP behind the world itself is worth something. R.A. Salvatore and others spent a great deal of time creating an entire world and characters just for the game.

None of which were anywhere in Reckoning. Elves? Dwarves? FUCKING INSPIRED.

I was a big fan of Salvatore when he first started out with his Drow series, but he wasn't exactly original here as he just built stereotypical characters and story lines in the Forgotten Realms universe which was already established. He did a lot to grow that universe though.

A novel, TV show or movie written by R.A. Salvatore? Sure. You have my interest. An MMO where he designed the world and the characters? Wasn't that EQ? How could it possible be any different?

Today I learned R.A. Salvatore wrote the bot chat lines for Quake III. Thank you, Wikipedia.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 23, 2012, 18:17 SimplyMonk

PropheT wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 18:06:
If nothing else it has set the level of expectations going into playing the game to a level that I'm not sure anything could really live up to.

Its better if you go through life thinking everything is crap and you will die alone and unloved. Then life is full of pleasant surprises. =D

Or not. In which case, sadness. :C

PC Gaming > Guild Wars 2 Guild
8. No subject Aug 23, 2012, 11:53 SimplyMonk

Tarnished Coast - Char Engineer  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2012, 11:05 SimplyMonk

After 32,000 Years, an Ice Age Flower Blooms Again.

When I originally heard this story, it was surrounded with health problems regarding the lead researchers into the project.

Update: The lead author, David Gilichinsky passed away on 18 February, just two days before his final paper was published.

If he has since risen as a zombie, I'm blaming this flower. Isn't this how Umbrella Corp started?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 22, 2012, 19:10 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 10:48:
Open Call, More Testers Welcome for 2012 Xbox LIVE Update Public Beta.

MOAR ads! 25% of the dashboard space in the current iteration is ads which combined with the total lack of interesting exclusives and paid MP, convinced me to sell my Xbox awhile ago.

Only thing that keeps mine around is Final Fantasy games. Everything else on it is solved by my PC and a HDMI cable. Just installed Windows 8 though so does that mean my PC is now an Xbox?

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
114. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 19:05 SimplyMonk

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 18:21:
Globally speaking, I believe the number.

I believe that number is possible, but I don't necessarily believe it. That being said, your other points are solid, at least personally. I stopped pirating pretty much the instant I started making a solid paycheck.

If I do pirate now, it is usually old console emulators when I feel like some retro gaming or TV show episodes since I don't have cable and the episode isn't on Netflix or Amazon.

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
95. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 15:59 SimplyMonk

DangerDog wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 15:40:
They release games half finished / beta state and then drop support after one useless patch.

SEGA. Stormrise. UGHHHHHH.

562 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo