Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 504 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Remember Me Announced
2. Re: Remember Me Announced Aug 14, 2012, 22:29 SimplyMonk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 22:24:
Not sure how I feel about random YouTube commenters being quoted in news stories...

As for the game itself, could be interesting.

It is a horrible practice that needs to stop. Quoting social media is next to just making shit up. Although, I did get a good laugh out of a video game advertisement I saw that included the following quote among a number more relevant ones:

"Meh." - Dr.Tankle829, Random YouTube User

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease Aug 14, 2012, 22:06 SimplyMonk

If this was released on Steam... Maybe...

It is hard. Big FF fan, but FFVII was released when 3D was pretty bad by today's standards. Without a graphics overhaul I'm not sure I could replay it. Sprites stand the test of time. 3D doesn't age well.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 18:46 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:49:
I am saving my donations for the groups that represent projects I REALLY care about and that are REALLY in need of the money.

Same. This was something that I'll most likely buy if it is successful, but it isn't an idea I think is sound and worth my support. You aren't making a purchase with Kickstarter. You are making an investment and too many things about this project seemed like a bad investment to me.

If I give money to something I truly believe in, it gets funded, but then flubs I wouldn't feel too bad because sometimes things don't come together, but I was happy to give it a shot. With this, I wanted to own one, but I didn't believe in it that much, so it flubbing now would just infuriate me and feel like I had my money stolen.

At the end of the day I'm still out of my investment in both scenarios, but one I can deal with better, personally.

As a side note, is it wrong of me to hope the next console generation doesn't come about for 2 or 3 more years just to see a few unimaginative and foolish publishers burn?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 18:51.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 18:34 SimplyMonk

Bhruic wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 18:27:
I don't understand this mentality.

The guy is a shill or has an amazingly bad understanding of how publishers work internally.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 17:07 SimplyMonk

You don't motivate the market by saying your product isn't up to standards and the customer should feel bad when you don't buy it. I doesn't work that way. This is a bad article written by someone who has some personal issues to work out in order to find out what lead them to writing it.

I will say I give kudos to the developer for being upfront about the quality of the PC Port, but we are under no obligation to support it unless the individual feels it is worth their money.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 17:53.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
26. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 16:18 SimplyMonk

Day 1 DLC for $5 vs the game costing $65 seems a fair trade to me.  

News Comments > FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales
3. Re: FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales Aug 13, 2012, 12:49 SimplyMonk

I think that "sigh of relief" sounded more like a "groan of forced compliance". It isn't that they weren't capable of doing so. They just didn't want to.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2012, 12:44 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 12:03:
Anyone seen Black Dynamite before? I hadn't until last night and it's the funniest thing I've seen in years. They really did a great job with it. If you haven't seen it before - and dig the Blaxploitation genre - you have to watch it. You'll laugh your ass off!

Black Dynamite is fantastic. They hit ever cliche in the genre perfectly. After watching it I had to see "I'm Gonna Get Ya, Sucka!" again just to top it off. I think both are still are Netflix streaming for anyone interested.

"But Black Dynamite... I sell drugs to the community."

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup
5. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 12:38 SimplyMonk

Is there an skill trait I can get that will stop my wife from stealing all the good guns from me and looting chests while I'm still being attacked? Because that is what she did when we played as my then "girlfriend".  

News Comments > TF2 Gray Tease?
8. Re: TF2 Gray Tease? Aug 11, 2012, 14:59 SimplyMonk

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 12:45:
There was a 4 team mod for the original TF that worked out okay. It had red, blue, green, and yellow I think.

I still miss spy gas and some of the spammier grenade weapons.

I'd take some Helicopter-MIRV Grenades and Needle Grenades please.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video
11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 19:28 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 17:46:
Few other companies would have the sack to say they're sorry and try to fix the game from the ground up. How about a trailer showing something other than cinematics? Damn Square-Enix loves their bloody CGI.

I always wondered if they had made a better movie than "Spirits Within" if Square-Enix would be a movie company now.

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 15:54 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 14:42:
SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 13:29:
As much as I want to give this game another shot, due to rabid Final Fantasy Fanboyism... Guild Wars 2.

Man I don't know, I'm about as big an FF fanboy as they come and I'm pretty dubious about this. Between the original beta/launch for this, FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and now plans for FFXIII-3 (yep Final Fantasy 13 Three) I'm left wondering if anyone sane still works there.

Don't get me wrong. I have a bunch of respect for Square in that they didn't settle for the game just being crap and are actually working hard and investing in the game to make it better... but unless they really come out with something at least as progressive as GW2, I can't really say I would take even the time to give it a whirl again.

As for the 13, 13-2 and 13-3 nonsense... It isn't any different to me than the off shoot games they made based on FF7 of FF12. Although, at least with their other offshoot games, they were usually a change of genre like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core and Revenant Wings. Maybe they've just gotten lazy with their naming?

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 13:29 SimplyMonk

As much as I want to give this game another shot, due to rabid Final Fantasy Fanboyism... Guild Wars 2.  

News Comments > U.S. Digital Sales Up
8. Re: U.S. Digital Sales Up Aug 9, 2012, 12:58 SimplyMonk

Dev wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:15:
Edit: This is what I was thinking of:
blues link
But its just a list of the top 5 heavyweights in the digital arena as of 2 years ago. 2 of them being the same company.
And I can't see most of them being willing to provide info to NPD.

So, I'm not sure if they are doing this or even if the practice is still valid, but Battle.Net used to use sequential order numbers when they sold digital products. When Starcraft II released, you could make a reasonable guess at what Blizzard sold digitally based on buying copies throughout whatever time period you wanted to capture.

Now this is fraught with edge cases and other problems as ANY digital order would get an order number so you can't get accurate numbers for specific titles or even games at all considering that Battle.Net also handles sales of virtual goods.

Outside of that, NPD is getting crap from Activision-Blizzard. Activision is insanely tight-fisted with their internal numbers and Blizzard takes it a level even beyond that. My best guess would be that they are looking at their own retail numbers and comparing that to reported gross and assuming that digital make up the difference.

I'll also say that Blizzard is a horrible benchmark for the Digital industry. They would most likely be an outlier in any data set. EA might be a little better, but without some middle of the road companies giving up their figures your won't get an accurate representation even if you had EA's and Acti-Blizz's internal numbers.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2012, 14:38.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 19:38 SimplyMonk

MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 19:11:
Longjocks wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 18:34:
"THI4F"... What's a thiaf?

HAHAHA! Yeah, it is a stretch isn't it. It would have worked for Thief 3 (Thi3f), but Thi4f....not so much! Thumbsdown

It's better than "Army of T|||O: Devil's Cartel" at least.

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
12. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 14:13 SimplyMonk

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:50:
sauron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:04:
Looks like they're off to a good start lol

They need to put it on Steam. FFXI is already there and has been a big success with fans. Lots of new players on the servers.
Really? I loved FFXI back when in the day, I played it like crazy. But the thought of starting a new character and everyone else is level 99 scares me. I remember I would sit around hours waiting for a group, and I was a red mage.

Ugh. Red Mage here as well. I remember waiting forever for a group, finally getting one, wiping first pull or some moron fishing up a monster during a pull and deleveling. Boo.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 12:12 SimplyMonk

Good to hear it most likely isn't anything serious. I might of considered the belly band for our youngest pup when she was training, but with their thick hair I don't relish the idea of giving her a bath every time to get rid of the smell when she had an accident.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today
29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 16:35 SimplyMonk

eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 16:32:
...but if I'm still stuck on the same server at launch... well fuck that and fuck them.

It will be wiped. No worries about that. Curious though. Can you delete all your current characters and then make a new one on a different server? If not, that might be a bug on their end.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 16:10 SimplyMonk

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:46:
eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:26:
Well, got in and tried to make a character on the server my friends and I had decided on... apparently accounts are server locked, it was asking me to pay 1,800 gems for a transfer, even after deleting all my characters. Hopefully the wipe before launch includes account settings, otherwise I'll be demanding a refund if I can't play with my friends without paying.

Ouch that's certainly a new thing. The group I'm going to be playing with changed our server in the last beta since the one we were on prior was full at the time. I guess those types of things are how Arena plans to make money with no sub fees.

Hmm. Not sure if it being enforced is no or not, but that was the plan for the game for at least a couple months now. You can still play your character on any server with any of your friends. You'll just won't be able to WvW with them. I imagine it might be revenue based, but it also might be that they want to discourage an account have characters on both sides of a WvW fight.

Obviously though, you can just buy two copies of the game.

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 12:20 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:40:
The game is 100% recycled MMO fads, there is nothing it adds to the genre, just piles on the stuff people expect to see.

The 'cooperative play' was already done, and done 100% better in WAR. GW2s version of running around getting experience on events with people isn't immersion, it's gimmicky and requires no cooperation at all. Higher level quests only numbers, not strategy. And character build doesn't matter, because there is no character specialization at all which is what made GW1 a gem.

GW2 is a bland game on many fronts. People may slog through it for a couple months at best if they try real hard to want to like it.

Cheddar-Jack cheese is 100% recycled dairy fad, there is nothing it adds to the flavor, just piles jack cheese onto cheddar which people already love.

The 'blending of cheese' was already done, and done 100% in Colby-Jack. Cheddar-Jacks version of just throwing in the most popular cheese in the world isn't creativity, it's gimmicky and requires no originality at all. Higher quality versions just add more cheddar, not jack. And consistency doesn't matter, because there is no standard for the Cheddar to Jack ratio at all which is what made Colby-Jack a gem.

Cheddar-Jack is a bland cheese on many fronts. People may slop it onto a cracker or a couple sandwiches at best if they try real hard to want to like it.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 12:55.

504 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo