Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 629 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
5. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2015, 11:02 SimplyMonk

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 10:51:
It's one of those "Just release the stupid game and the lemmings will buy it" types of games.

Yeah. I've spent a large percentage of my life playing MMOs to know a pure time sink when I see one and I agree with your assessment of what makes it fun. Same reason I still play WoW for a month here and there. The game is just enjoyable enough to make for a good time with buddies. I dodged the Destiny bullet though. Once I hit 24 I looked at the grind my other buddies were going through to get gear, some who this is their first MMO, and went "Nope. Been there. Done that."

These awards look popularity based more so than actual achievement based.

Hearthstone for Multiplayer? Why? Because it limits interactions between players to the point where you couldn't tell if you were playing an AI as long as it puts emotes at the right spots?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 15:04 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:44:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:35:
Verno wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 14:11:
The article makes some good points but doesn't really propose any real solutions. The volume alone makes Greenlight tedious for everyone involved but curating content by staff had its own set of complaints from devs/users. Perhaps some sort of hybrid system is best, I don't know.

It's not like Valve doesn't have the money to hire a few people to curate the incoming candidates.

People complained bitterly about the curation process and said Valve wasn't transparent enough which sort of lead to Greenlight. I don't know, it seemed to work fine to me. Valve rarely seems to like throwing sheer staff at problems and a lot of their projects seem to be based off employee interest which is probably pretty low for this. I just don't think any community/open solution will work though.

Yeah. Old system, you literally had to know someone at Valve or already have a big hit elsewhere before they would give you the time of day.

Greenlight at least makes it somewhat of a level playing field and automated the process. Pretty much you make it in unless the game is completely garbage.

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
31. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 3, 2015, 10:44 SimplyMonk

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 08:06:
Face it, the suits run the show there now and they can't resist F2P.

Awesome. I'd love it if WoW went F2P. The $15/month is the only reason I play for like 1-2 months every day, get burnt out and then turn off my account until something interesting happens or the next expansion comes out that looks intriguing.

Also, MMOs don't love gold sellers. Not only do they bring the stigmata of people thinking the game has no responsible administration to control them, but MMO companies want you spending your money with THEM. Not with companies who drain their resources far greater than the average player and in addition to that cause numerous CS issues due to hacked accounts, stolen items and general shady business.

When you get a game as large as WoW, one of your biggest expenses is Customer Service. Anything you can do to reduce that cost is priority.

28. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 3, 2015, 00:56 SimplyMonk

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:18:
Oh and 40k a month from garrison missions, sorry, have to call you bluff on that, they are not near as profitable. If you want to make money in Wow, you have to spend a lot of time in instances.

That was in combination with my raiding, farming old content for transmog gear, selling mission salvage and extra trade goods. I didn't have a barn, but I'm sure you could make more selling blood.

19. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 18:53 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:17:
How much gold can the average player reasonably farm in a month? I can't see them accepting anything less than that, so I doubt this system will work that well. Even for Chinese gold mills buying these you'd expect any profit would be razor thin.

I was playing maybe 2 hours a day at most when WoD released, but making sure to queue up my Garrison missions all the time. I'd say I got maybe 40K/month once my Garrison followers could do the majority of missions I got with ease. So, if you consider 1-2 hours a day reasonable, that is my personal anecdote.

8. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 16:21 SimplyMonk

JeffD wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 16:08:
I would be interested in seeing how cheap they can become.

Well, currently it looks like $15 gets you 15K gold from third party suppliers. My guess is that Blizzard will sell the tokens for $20 and you'll see them sold around 30-60K gold. I would think that the third parties would define the bottom of the market with them being the high risk option.

Plus, when I was playing WOD, gold wasn't really that hard to get with Garrisons and playing an hour or two a day. I think I got maybe 20K gold a week playing that much? But I was also making sure to queue up garrison missions while I was at work. Heard the new patch might of made things even more lucrative, but I'm equally interested to see how this plays out.

News Comments > Greg Zeschuk Returns to Games
5. Re: Greg Zeschuk Returns to Games Feb 19, 2015, 13:27 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 12:38:
Whether it'd ever work, who knows, but it's not that hard to see someone programming MS's hololens for that exact purpose.

This made me think of the Google Pokemon Master ad that ran on April Fools where you could use Google Maps to find Pokemon. I though it would be awesome if they made it so you actually had to visit those locations with an AR device in order to capture the Pokemon.

Only a handful, if any, would attempt such and more would probably die attempting to scale Everest (unless they cheated and just flew above it), but something on a smaller scale would be appealing. Until of course the eventual lawsuit when the random Pokemon generator placed a Legendary Pokemon instead of the local strip joint or some place likely to get you stabbed.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 11:18 SimplyMonk

Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 10:31:
I am all for vaccinations myself but I just don't get the hysteria over measles.

Mortality rate is reported by the CDC to be 1 in 1000, but historically it is quite a bit lower than that in developed countries. Really high in undeveloped. Even so, the disease can be deadly and cause other complications so like with anything it is a game of risk management. MMR seems the safer path to take as do most vaccines. Both statistics and ethics wise.

That being said, my daughter suffered a very bad reaction to the Rotavirus vaccine. She had an intussusception (intestines rolled up on itself) at 6 months which is a rare but known side effect. Shitting blood, vomiting and freaking me and my wife out. Luckily the children's hospital down here did terrific work and corrected it with us spending a night and day in the hospital. Still at 6 months it was really rough.

Do I regret giving her the vaccination? Realistically, no because the chance of this reaction was much lower than possibly deadly reactions to the Rotavirus. I suppose if I crunched the numbers it might swing either way, but at some point you just have to trust in your doctors and join the herd when it comes to vaccinations because I'd be equally distraught if my daughter got sick from the disease and I didn't vaccinate or she infected some other child who died.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
14. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 12:35 SimplyMonk

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 12:12:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 11:57:
What was he doing?

Isboxing mostly with bots, not long after release I was at his place and watched him run four bots at once that automatically got and sold gear on a consistent basis. He actually makes a living off such tactics in various games in a 250k house, no job.

Anyway, I know he was hit by this because he told me...outright said he's going to GD.

Yeah. Blizzard let's you Multi-box in their games all you want as long as each action has a keystroke behind hit. The instant you start straight botting is when they take issue

News Comments > Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Announced
7. Re: Warhammer: End Times Vermintide Announced Feb 5, 2015, 14:34 SimplyMonk

Always liked Skaven so I'm intrigued.  

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Sold
28. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 18:09 SimplyMonk

Squirmer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 17:38:
Wow this is surprising. A shame too. Say what you will about Planetside and H1Z1, SOE was one of the few MMO companies looking to do interesting things instead of pumping out traditional grindy MMOs.

Whut? Sony/Verant is the creator of traditional and grindy MMOs. Maybe EQ Next would of been different but EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard were nothing but grindy. Well... Maybe "waity" in EQs case since you weren't really grinding so much as waiting for something to spawn.

Planetside was pretty awesome though and for what it was, EQ was great in the day. Didn't really touch any of SOEs other titles.

EQ Next could of surprised me, but we'll see where it goes now.

26. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 17:59 SimplyMonk

Sony Exec: "Hey guys... So... It turns out this 'online' thing is hard and we keep getting hacked. Seriously. We aren't very good at this 'security' thing or whatever. In light of that, we are just getting out of the online business all together and are selling Sony ONLINE Entertainment. Problem. Solved."

Lackey: "Sir. We still manage the PSN and other online services though..."

Sony Exec: "......"

Lackey: "Sir?"

Sony Exec: "Fuck."

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2015, 18:05.

11. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Sold Feb 2, 2015, 14:35 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:05:
Not sure that's good enough to trust.

Yeah. Without an entity like Sony behind it... I'm not sure how well EQ Next is going to survive. Seems like something that was going to need a lot of time to gets its footing and get to a profitable place.

Not sure these guys are looking to do that.

News Comments > Blizzard Rumors: "Low Expectations" for Heroes of the Storm?
11. Re: Blizzard Rumors: Jan 30, 2015, 11:13 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 11:04:
Based on the time I've played, I feel that's a very accurate critique. It's fun, and I like it, but there's a lot of room for improvement, based on your examples.

Yeah. That's kinda Blizzard's thing though. Release a solid title, but overcharge like crazy on it. And people pay for it because their Blizzard and people love them.

I'm no better. I bought and played Warlord of Draenor for about 2 months. Still obscene how much money it is to change your characters race or move servers though. Stuff like that should be free, but limit it to once or twice a month. I'm already paying $15/month. You don't need to gouge me on your services for another $15-30 per service.

I know of already one game (Duelyst) that is looking at Hearthstone and say "Hey! That business model looks great. Let's just copy that." which just makes me wonder how many MMO Companies had the same thought before going under. Sad thing is I really like the game and have chatted with a number of the Devs, but I don't think I could play it for the same reasons I don't play Hearthstone. I honestly hope it works out for them, but like all the MMO Blizzard Copycats out there, copying Blizzard tends not to work out.

If you aren't Blizzard, don't do what Blizzard does. That should be a rule of Game Development somewhere.

News Comments > Blizzard Rumors: "Low Expectations" for Heroes of the Storm?
6. Re: Blizzard Rumors: Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 SimplyMonk

BitWraith wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 10:31:
What's wrong with Hearthstone?

TL;DR: Good game, but unfriendly business model by comparison to other offerings.

Maybe it is just me having come from playing a lot of traditional TCGs and Scrolls, but Hearthstone is a very unfriendly business model by comparison.

It costs you a $1.50 for a booster which contains 5 random cards. The only thing you are guaranteed is 1 Rare and 4 commons which have a trade in value of 40 dust or 1 common card of your choice. Add onto that the fact that they have two extra tiers of rarity, Epic and Legendary, but don't publish the drop rates for these tiers so they can increase or decrease the value of your purchase with you having no knowledge of it.

You can't trade with other players or lend them your decks. There is no benefit to play against friends as quests can only be done against random opponents. Drafts don't award you cards of your choosing, but rather just more dust or random cards. The only way to be guaranteed to get a specific card you want is spend obscene amounts of money and hope you get lucky in generating enough dust to craft the card.

Game play itself is an uncomfortable level of random chance, the last expansion particularly. They are also extremely limiting on how you can earn in-game currency to the point where it is spend $1.50 for a pack or spend 2 days doing quests.

This is highly subjective, but compared to just about every other Digital CCG out there, I despise Hearthstone's model due to all the points above. Solid presentation, flavor and support, but I could never see spending more than the $3 I've spent on that game whereas I've spent maybe ~$100 on Scrolls which wasn't required but because I wanted preconstructed decks or some cosmetic items without having to spend a day or two farming currency for them.

News Comments > Diablo III Brawling May Not Improve
3. Re: Diablo III Brawling May Not Improve Jan 29, 2015, 11:48 SimplyMonk

If they were going to do anything with PvP they'd be beta testing and talking about it constantly. Never going to happen.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 27, 2015, 18:22 SimplyMonk

Not excited about these picks, but then again I don't know many female comedians that could fill the roles well so I guess we'll see how it goes.  

News Comments > 8bitMMO Launches
4. Re: 8bitMMO Launches Jan 27, 2015, 10:57 SimplyMonk

If they can find an audience, more power too them. Content and features don't look that intriguing though. If I have to tolerate that level of graphics I need something more to grab me or at least Dwarf Fortress level detail.  

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
6. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 14:04 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:36:
I got excited for a second I thought they were going to try rocket wall jumping.
Ah well.

Although equally predictable, that I'd watch.

Graham wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:52:
COMMENTER_SENSE_OF_FUN.EXE corrupt or not found. RETRY Y/N

We are old men who like to complain. Suck it.

But really? Their tag line is "Can someone carry a lot of heavy shit?" It's a bad sign when common sense answers your myth easily.

If they had gone a rocket or grenade jump approach like SpectralMeat suggested I would of reserved my comment since explosions are fun to watch.

News Comments > DOOM Mythbusters
1. Re: DOOM Mythbusters Jan 26, 2015, 13:08 SimplyMonk

Is it really possible for someone to carry all those health packs, guns, and even a chainsaw?

No. Because Physics. Busted! Thanks for watching.

629 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo