Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 491 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hearthstone Expansion Next Week
1. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Week Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 SimplyMonk

Hearthstone has definitely waned in my interests the last few months. Don't even bother doing the dailies anymore. The simplicity/variance might be great for bringing in new players and having them able to pick it up quickly and be somewhat competitive... but it really doesn't do much for the longevity of the game in my opinion.

Maybe this will spark some new interest? Doubt it though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
14. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 18:05 SimplyMonk

Tim Collins wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:00:
DAOC had/has lots of multiboxers

Seeing as the majority of the time when you are running with a squad in DAOC you are on /follow and assist targeting... I would find it hard to tell the difference.

10. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 13:40 SimplyMonk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 13:01:
Multiboxing should be banned, plain and simple. It isn't a reasonable practice.

Reasonable is reasonably a relative term. Old friend of mine used to play EQ with 5 computers running 5 separate accounts pretty easily. Just really a factor of money and desire to do it at that point.

Even if they were to ban it, it is almost completely unenforceable from a technical point of view. At best they could make it harder to do but they'd run into a lot of situations where it would be a gray area and they couldn't hand out bans without catching a lot of flak. Not worth their time and since the player is paying for a additional accounts I doubt they care.

You aren't going to multibox anything that couldn't be done by a swarm of 8 year olds so their really isn't any harm that I can see. Maybe for in-game economies but it is nothing you wouldn't be able to accomplish by making your kid/friend (or funding some third-world child to do ;)) do the same for you.

News Comments > Gearbox Announces "Hero Shooter" Battleborn
7. Re: Gearbox Announces Jul 8, 2014, 13:26 SimplyMonk

If it is FTP, I may give it a shot, but seeing as it is also on console, I doubt it. Who knows though. I've enjoyed playing SMITE from time to time. Not sure how much value a co-op campaign will add to the genre.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 12:15 SimplyMonk

My buddies and I had our biggest challenge with L4D on the higher difficulties or in versus as far as teamwork was concerned. We also learned a little about ourselves like my buddy's wife is never allowed to carry the Molotovs. Ever.

Never played the PD series, but I heard the mechanics were similar just with cops instead of zombies.

Looking forward to Evolve for the teamwork opportunities it will present when not playing as the monster... which I'll probably want to do all the time.

6. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:53 SimplyMonk

Pigeon wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 11:44:
So Blizzard cares because botting ruins the experience of those who are not botting, i.e. people not cheating.

There is a fine line between botting and effective multiboxing. The big distinction being that Blizzard allows multiboxing but not botting. It really comes down to whether or not every action your character performs is a direct response to user input or not.

If you click one button and your character performs a chain of 50 tasks you are botting and Blizzard bans you.

If you click one button and 50 characters you have on 50 different accounts perform 50 various tasks you are multiboxing and Blizzard takes your money and laughs.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 12:00.

5. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:46 SimplyMonk

My wife was multiboxing WoW for about a month when they were doing $5 for an account plus a free month up to Pandaria and then Recruit-A-Friending her other account so that she would get 300% XP. She'd then run a Tank/Healer combo and do pretty well up until Cata where things got pretty crazy. Think she got maybe 3 characters on her main account up to ~75 in a few days. Maybe 10 hours?

ISBoxer is what she was using and it seemed to be engineered pretty well (video). You could run it where all your inputs would translate to both characters, do screen-within-screen so you could see your other account in a small window, split screen or even cuts out certain parts of your main window so that you could see and click buttons or bars on your secondary. There were even some videos showing people doing this with 5+ accounts fairly effectively.

I could pretty easily see this working fairly well for D3 as you'd have both characters all wired up to the same inputs. Click the left-mouse on something and all of your characters fire off their left-mouse spell. Might be hard with different archetypes, but if you had 4 Wizards would be pretty easy plus you'd get 4x the loot. Picking up that loot now would be the annoying part.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
3. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 10:13 SimplyMonk

Illumin wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:21:
This game rocks even with the craptastic graphics!

You get the right mods installed and even that isn't much of a concern.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 18, 2014, 10:56 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:03:
It is still going to suck for third party games due to technical shortcomings though.

Ever since the Wii, Nintendo consoles have pretty much just been Nintendo Machines. I don't think there was a single Wii title I picked up that wasn't a Nintendo title outside of a few niche RPGs.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up
12. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 10:33 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:53:
However, I thought it was pretty lame that you couldn't even play a female character in the co-op stuff. But now I see that everyone just plays their own SP character in the co-op, so in essence it's four Arno's that are joining up. So I guess from that perspective it still makes sense. A bit.

Yeah. After reading more about this "controversy", although I would of enjoyed a female lead, I completely understand why what isn't really viable since given the historical nature of the games as female lead would have vastly different story than a male lead. Makes their comment about animations being too much work more viable as they are just using clones of Arno for the co-op to begin with.

Same could be said why they didn't include a dwarf assassin, dog assassin, handicapabale assassin or Shiva assassin. Too much more animation work, but I'm sure they wanted to.

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
20. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 11:36 SimplyMonk

Haven't played an AC since the second and I didn't see this game changing that but I will say it still disappoints me. Played Mass Effect 1 through twice. First time male. Second time female. Vastly enjoyed the voice acting and dialogue and atmosphere the female character presented far more than my male play through. Maybe it was because I played her as Renegade and the male as Paragon that added to that, but sometimes just having a female lead in a stereotypical male role is refreshing.

Needless to say, I only played through ME2 once with my female character. Still haven't gotten around to ME3. Maybe once my daughter is old enough to play them.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2014, 14:22 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 11:59:
Utterly vague and useless article. Convinced 33% how exactly? Examples? Who were these 33%? What's their IQ? What do they do for a living? How fucking many people did the test? What's the frequency, Kenneth?!

It convinced one of the three judges that it was a 13 year old Ukrainian boy that didn't speak English that well.

io9 has a far better write up about how this really isn't that impressive and this particular Turing Test is kinda useless.

Here

Chatbots now have the scamming power of a 13 year old that doesn't speak English well. Don't trust 13 year olds on the internet. That's pretty much it.

News Comments > SMITE Ultimate God Weekend Day
1. Re: SMITE Ultimate God <strike>Weekend</strike> Day May 30, 2014, 12:38 SimplyMonk

Played a few games of Smite last week after not touching it for about a year or two. The game is coming into its own a little, but still feels like it is lacking something to really hooks me like other MOBAs. This renewed interest will probably drop off as I also just got an alpha key for Heroes of the Storm.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 12:16 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on May 21, 2014, 10:58:
And they just got a new Husky puppy a few months back. While he loves her and she'll grow out of it he regrets not getting an older rescue dog - as was his old one.

Having been through two Huskies we got as pups, they are both still alive but pretty much past all the puppy and training stuff and overall very well behaved, I'm not sure if we'd do it again. By far they are the most stubborn and energetic dogs I've ever had and although they are quick to teach something, they are also quick to find a way to misbehave or destroy something you thought invulnerable. Plus twice a year it snows inside our house as both the pups are snow white and when they blow their coats I could literally make a small couch out of the hair.

Been debating getting a Shiba Inu as our third dog as it sounds like Husky-lite as we really do enjoy the personality of the breed but might benefit from the reduced size and slightly less shedding. In our madness we also considered an American Akita because they are mini-bears... but then realized that pretty much just takes the issues with have with our current pups and multiply is by 120 lbs.

Slightly dated photo, but cute: http://i.imgur.com/KKSCWQn.png

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2014, 11:56 SimplyMonk

InBlack wrote on May 20, 2014, 10:40:
Also watched GOT last night. (Its released on Mondays in EU) Great episode that went by way too fast for my liking....

They've been getting steadily faster the last few episodes. Really doing a good job of ramping things up and making me lose all track of time.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
46. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 17:50 SimplyMonk

Well... development did stop. I guess that means ship?

Probably the press this has gotten inspired them to cover their ass so if a case is ever brought they can say they released the game. Oddly enough the release date says Nov 7, 2012 which I'm guessing is when Early Access started?

That doesn't seem kosher, but this should be a lesson in supporting Early Access games if nothing else.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
24. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 13:59 SimplyMonk

Apparently they are just hiring another developer to keep working on the project. Or they are lying about that just to distract people from the bad press. <shrug>

News Comments > Notch's Text Adventure
4. Re: Notch's Text Adventure Apr 30, 2014, 13:41 SimplyMonk

I'm curious if there are any other outcomes besides death or other pathways besides the straight forward one. I tried a second time to see if I could get anything different, but nothing I noticed. Death is inevitable.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 30, 2014, 13:37 SimplyMonk

I kicked it, but I'm still slightly concerned for the future of Prodigy. It doesn't have Disney Infinity or Skylanders IP to pull from, but I think there is more potential for an actual game to go along with the collectibles and something more mature. I'll be happy just to receive what the Kickstarter promised even if the product line itself doesn't take off.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 12:26 SimplyMonk

Some spoilery speculation on last nights ending scene as well as a possible slip-up by the producers of the show possibly revealing the identity of the crowned white walker. Reddit detectives screen capped the slip before HBO could fix it.

http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-white-walker-king-babies-oathkeeper/

All this means I now have to worry about the TV show spoiling the books rather than me worrying about spoiling the show for my wife. I imagine the pacing of John's story line will speed up a little faster than in the books for the same reasons they altered and expanded Rob's. People like the character and would be disappointed not too see him for almost an entire season.

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 12:01:
Funny while I have always enjoyed reading sci-fi and fantasy books, the Martin books I tried I found incredibly boring and lacking good writing skills.

We all have our equivalents of Harry Potters, Twilights and Shades of Grays.

I've always hated reading Tolkien because I can only stand so many Elvish songs and descriptions of dwarf beards but I've always respected him for his world building skills and dedication to the lore he crafted.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2014, 12:32.

491 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo