Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 536 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 15:06 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:34:
nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:27:

R* is the best!

Well, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. If they were the best, they wouldn't be charging $60 for an HD version of a year old game.

Meh. You've already waited a year. Wait another and it will be $15 on Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 13:24 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:33:
Yes, let's focus on self-driving busses, because that would fix EVERYTHING! Then I can have a self-driving machine take me from where I'm not to where I'm not going, as opposed to a driver taking me from where I'm not to where I'm not going. AMAZING! THE WORLD IS SAVED!

Rolleyes

Yeah... From the passengers point of view, buses are already self-driving. Doesn't much matter if it is a meat sack vs a machine as it is still completely impractical where I live to take a bus. What takes me 15 minutes to drive takes 2 hours by bus.

Plus factor in that I have two huskies and a child that occasionally need transport.

No thanks.

News Comments > Evolve Big Alpha Underway
12. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Overon wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 16:19:
You change over time in response to your environment, specifically what and how much you eat.

Does what your monster eat actually matter? I was hunting for details about that on the Wiki and all I found mention of was that you choose abilities to unlock as your monster levels up and different creatures were just worth different amounts of monster XP.

Haven't had a chance to play a monster yet. Maybe later tonight.

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
12. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 14:37 SimplyMonk

Not surprised at all that this was going on. At the higher ranked tiers, the game play really breaks down to luck and rock-paper-scissors. I'm not that clear on the exact math behind it, but a friend told me about trying to break into Rank 3 and he would win two games, but lose his third constantly and end up making no progress in the rankings all due to just deck match-up.

Apparently in order to progress to the higher ranks you have to be on a rock-paper-scissors win hot streak.

6. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 14:07 SimplyMonk

English is a silly language.  

4. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:56 SimplyMonk

PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:36:
Watched for a while on Twitch last night. For a game called "evolve", it sure is derivative.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your intended sentiment... but isn't evolution by its very nature derivative?

That being said... "Evolve" is probably a bad name for the game as the monster doesn't evolve in response to stimuli in his environment so much as he just gets more deadly and bigger.

The game should of been called "Embiggen".

2. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:21 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:04:
Anyone playing this? Any good? Is it multiplayer only? Or are there bots?

Haven't messed around with it much yet, but to answer a few of your questions... The Alpha is multiplayer only, but there are bots. The bots are mainly used when someone disconnects or a player wants to go AFK.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
51. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 20:09 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:30:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:26:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:38:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

Sexism will always exist. Welcome to the genders of male and female. Learn to cope with it already.

This is true about pretty much everything Cutter ever bitches about.
In standard Cutter form, anything that impacts him directly is a horrible offense and must be rectified. Anything that either doesn't impact him or benefits him is something people need to shut up and deal with.

I don't use "sociopath" lightly, but the dude only cares about himself and has zero empathy for anyone else. Any political, economic or social issue is important only if Cutter deems it so.

Well, you do have to take into account that we are having discussions on and Internet forum dedicated to video game news. Shouldn't really expect people to bring their A-Game to the debate... But still. "Sexism will always exist"?

Rape, murder, theft, Canada, racism and taxes will always exist too. Doesn't mean that we have to tolerate it and not work towards removing them. Hell. We all eventually die and the sun will explode so why bother with any of this?

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
34. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 18:38 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
7. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 12:46 SimplyMonk

NetHead wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 11:41:
They won't be getting those characters/actors back, certainly not without severe changes due to how much they've aged alone.

Agreed. I know it is just Whedon being Whedon and you take the good with the bad but the movie eliminating who I felt were key characters kinda cemented for me that if the series was ever picked up again, it would never be the same so I stopped hoping for it. Might of been his goal in that, but then again, I'm sure more main characters would of died if Fox hadn't held Whedon's leash a little.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
5. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 11:11 SimplyMonk

As much of a Firefly fanboy as I am... even I have to admit it isn't really the universe that made the series so great in my mind. A number of anime already mixed space cowboy with Asian influence (Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star) before Whedon created Firefly. What really made the series great, in my opinion, were the actors and characters that made up that specific crew and how their personalities played off one another. Also the series ended before it had a chance to get bad.

That is something you really can't capture in an RPG, unless you take on the role of one of those characters which usually has lackluster results, and especially difficult in an MMO.

I will say though, I had similar thoughts about the Super Hero MMOs where I figured everyone would be running around as their own image of Batman or Superman. Despite the 12,000 oXVegetaXo and Gookuu's I saw running around, City of Heroes was one of my more surprisingly enjoyable experiences in the MMO space and some people really did impress me with their creativity and the game's support for it.

I doubt this will do the same sadly.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 18:37 SimplyMonk

mag wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:29:
Even optimization (or lack thereof) aside, I have not heard anyone say any positive words about this game.

The combat was enjoyable at higher levels. Outside of that, the game really didn't have anything going for it. As forgettable to me as FF9 was.

Really don't understand the need to make 13-2 and LR... Lightning wasn't even that interesting of a character and the world was "meh". Even after reading all the wiki entries on its back story.

Although I will say I've "heard" that 13-2 gets better, if not wackier, but haven't bothered to try myself despite owning it from a sale.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2014, 18:43.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:10:
*also, inverted Y for life!

Preach it! First thing I do whenever I play a FPS. I blame early flight sims for this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:09 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:30:
A long time ago I used the arrow keys for movement but then I switched over to WASD and haven't looked back. I can't imagine wasting a mouse button on movement but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Edit: my bad I meant WASD

I used to be IJKL because I felt it gave me a wider range of options for key binds for games like Quake MEGATF. Then I grew old and lazy and just started WASD because it meant I didn't have to spend an hour configuring a new game before jumping into it. I also abandoned Right Mouse for Jump when rocket jumping was no longer a thing.

I rarely play shooters nowadays and nothing to the level where I need a wide array of key binds. My wife has a gaming mouse with 20 buttons on it and a gaming keypad which is really nice when you get used to it. She uses it for WoW, but I'm sure if I ever had the time or the interest to get into twitch gaming like I used to that would probably be my setup. Takes a hell of a lot of effort to setup, but has some nice profile options.

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
4. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 14:39 SimplyMonk

Numinar wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 14:24:
More like we have a decent healthcare system, so lots of old people who vote for Ned Flanders who want to tell everyone how to live.

Ah. Well, in 30 years or so that problem should resolve itself. Sucks till then.

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
1. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 14:21 SimplyMonk

Welcome to 2009, Australia!

You know, for a country filled with, what the internet tells me, is death, poison and vicious little wall-climbing bears... You'd think a little video game violence would be no big thing.

Is it that the average Australian subconscious is already teetering on the edge of insanity and even a small push would drive them into despair? Or is the violence not realistic enough and pales in comparison to the day-to-day in Australia so badly that it is an insult?

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
34. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:53 SimplyMonk

I didn't see the sense in this from MS's point of view... but that was mainly because I forgot that MS makes upwards of $2.5B a month.

With that in perspective, why the hell not buy them? Kids love Minecraft. Kids now love Microsoft. Let the good times roll. Buy that Windows 9 Phone and Tablet, kids! Free Minecraft included!

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
93. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:10 SimplyMonk

Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:02:
Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:01:

I did say "game". Not franchise.

Rolleyes

Yes. Eye roll. And it is third. Tetris is #1 (by a landslide), Wii sports is second.

It is second. Wii Sports gets a huge exception because the only reason it was bought is because it was a cheap way to get another Wiimote.

84. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 14:57 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:14:
2) Even better, what if Minecraft replaces Solitaire and comes free with Windows 9? What if it comes free with Xbone? How many more people would jump on if it all became free? Buy a Surface, play Minecraft anywhere. Buy a Windows Phone, play Minecraft anywhere

By the way, Minecraft would replace Minesweeper. Need to stick with the theme.

47. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:29 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:14:
They don't tend to retroactively ruin things, they ruin new things

This.

But also it made me think... Most of the people I know that are super crazy about Minecraft are in the 8-14 age group. Children of friends or younger brothers and sisters. Its not unusual for me to be out and about and see little kids with their iPads in hand playing Minecraft while waiting in a line or eating food. Maybe this is Microsoft's goal? To soften their image to appeal to the next generation.

They've already either converted or enslaved who they can in the 16+ age bracket so now they are looking to work on the next generation as the old grandmas that still use IE3, because they think it is the only way to access their AOL e-mail, die off.

536 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo