Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 562 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile
24. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 14:40 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 14:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 13:27:
bobbyric wrote on Dec 5, 2014, 13:13:
D&D franchise would just be a nightmare (why do you figure Bioware stopped working with wizards of the coast)

Yeah I wish someone in the "know" would talk about the why and how concerning this... is there any known reason why absolutely NO DEV AT ALL touches DnD 4.0 rulesets for games ?

Because WotC are beyond fucking terrible to work with.

Yeah. When I first read the 4.0 rule set my mind instantly went "Well... they pretty much just made this an MMO or strategy board game." Luckily, that was the same time I no longer had the spare time for table top gaming so it worked out well. To this day I've probably only played one or two sessions of 4.0 that had combat in them. Neither was that impressive and far too confining for any real creativity in monster or encounter design. Seemed to be designed for rulemongers and those D&D pick-up groups/tournament people.

Figured by now they would of had a video game that completely just mirrored that system, but I guess the digital space still scares them in every regard. MTG: Online is also no where near as good as it should be probably because they fear digital environments cutting into their paper business too drastically. Also probably why they are suing HexTCG for infringement.

The company needs to realize that the people that play in physical and digital spaces are fairly separate. People that want to play their games digitally most likely aren't the same people that would be willing to play it physically either due to preference for one format or time constraints and hassle involved in setting up physical games vs digital games.

Is D&D Online 3.0 or 4.0?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
7. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 12:26 SimplyMonk

DrSquick wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 12:16:
In the lore, Terminators are the rarest and greatest of the already incredible Space Marines.

Yeah... and Genestealers are bred to eat them alive. There are reasons why Genestealer infestations that get out of hand are dealt with by destroying the infested planet rather than trying to root them out.

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
5. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 12:21 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 10:13:
So much for Elite Terminators doing their job.

Yeah. Had a discussion on this in a related thread and it really just comes down to that being how the board game worked. That and the fact for some reason people think a Terminator can take a Genestealer in melee combat.

One-on-One a Terminator has to be extremely lucky not to get killed by a Genestealer as they are faster, more skilled in melee combat, can slice through Terminator Armor and are just as strong and as tough as a marine. At range is the only time a Terminator has the advantage which is why Space Hulk is all about keeping your Terminators out of melee at all times. The gun jamming is there to give the Genestealers at least some chance to close the distance.

Honestly, though, the board game is only really fun when you have 2-3 people controlling the marines and 1 person controlling the Genestealers with lots of mocking and cursing involved. Without that, I can see how a 1 v AI game can just lead to frustration so the changes in Ascension are necessary for a computer game.

News Comments > Evolve Videos and Previews
10. Re: Evolve Videos and Previews Dec 3, 2014, 17:51 SimplyMonk

DangerDog wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 17:18:
I had a hard time evolving monsters due to the small levels, some of which had 1/3 of the space generally a useless no-go water zone.

That's what I liked about playing the monster. It is 100% a stealth and resource management game when you are Stage 1. Keep to the edge of the map and hunt in caves so if you are caught you can break line of site or pin hunters to the wall in fights. The water zones were great for getting away since the Monster swims pretty well so it was a great way to hide your tracks if the hunters were getting close.

when hunters deployed a trap you were toast most of the time, you should be able to take down the trap "device", but nope.

Yeah. If you get trapped in the open at Stage 1 you are screwed. If they are getting close though and you know a trap is coming, which is pretty easy to do with your scent, try to get into a cave where you can guarantee a melee fight as the Goliath or make sure a mountain is also in the trap that you can scramble around and hide on till the wall comes down.

Even at Stage 1, if they are trapped in a tight space with you, you can dominate them with Goliath. Otherwise, just hide behind cover and try to avoid taking damage until you can start running and leaping away. A few leaps to get some distance then, doubling back in "sneak mode" and climbing up some cliff is a great way to lose Hunters. Water is also great for that.

they're spouting off about 800 bazillion combinations in that evacuation trailer, sounds like marketing BS to me.

Yeah. Same marketing strategy Borderlands had with their "bazillion guns". They are just counting possible permutations of minor options.

7. Re: Evolve Videos and Previews Dec 3, 2014, 14:36 SimplyMonk

DangerDog wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 13:20:
I wasn't impressed with hunt mode, fun for only a short while and when you got to the later stages of unlocks for the hunters it really seemed to unbalance the game.

Maybe it was just because Hunters need to work together well in order to take down a monster, I really felt the game was unbalanced in favor of the monster. Especially the Kraken. Most Hunter Teams I faced probably didn't use voice chat and were just random people. Even the high level ones.

I played to level 15 or 16 primarily playing the monster. Once I unlocked the Kraken though, Hunters weren't even a challenge. Even at Stage 1. I'd just float around hurling Tier 3 lightning bolts at them and watching them die. If I got to Stage 2 or 3 they were toast and the game became me trying to hunt them down or find that damn dog to end the match. Even when I was doing the alternate specs to unlock achievements, such as the ability that required I hug the Hunters, it never really felt fair for them.

My record with the Goliath was probably 10-5 or something like that, but with the Kraken it was 30-1 with that single loss being my first time trying it out, realizing it wasn't just a reskin of the Goliath and my 1-year old daughter waking up from her nap at the start of the match and "helping" me play.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2014, 14:44.

2. Re: Evolve Videos and Previews Dec 3, 2014, 10:49 SimplyMonk

"We’re happy to announce that Evacuation will be playable exclusively in the Xbox One open beta in January."

Booooooo.

Although this does get me one step closer to playing it on release. At least a campaign with L4D's depth would probably cement the deal.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 14:51 SimplyMonk

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 14:15:
The law here in Minnesota is so asinine.

Minnesota appears to have such a statute, although it appears that a few court cases have ignored it and required the owner to flee. Which is odd.

Here is a breakdown by state: LINK

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2014, 13:31 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:22:
Plea deal for woman with 'stand your ground' defense.

If she'd shot and killed him, she'd be free. Instead she shot to warn him, and she goes to jail. That's pretty messed up.

Reminds me a lot of this: Law Turns Battered Women into Criminals

Basically some cases of battered women being charged as criminals for not protecting their children from their abusive partners. Sometimes getting even harsher sentences than the partner. Anecdotal, but the article tries to find evidence that it is a systematic problem. Fucked up in these situations regardless.

Favorite (Saddest) Quote
She also had another option, one that Deen said he would not have prosecuted her for: “She should’ve cut his throat while he slept.”

Oh? You didn't want to go to jail? You should of murdered him.

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
8. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 12:49 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 12:18:
If people are getting ripped off then there's a flaw in the way Steam is setup. Making people wait 30 days is not going to change how this works nor will it prevent people from getting ripped off. Steam needs to fix the problem and not put a band-aid on it.

You realize that the 30 day waiting period is just for keeping it in your inventory as a trade-able. You can still gift it to a friend if you are worried about that. Sadly, if you were planning on buying new games and trading them off the day they are released for whatever reason, there really is no way to get around having a 30 day waiting period to avoid Credit Card/Paypal fraud.

If I recall 30 days is the limit on when a CC company will allow a charge back without a more extensive review. Unless they offer some irrevocable payment option (cash/money order), you aren't going to get around this.

News Comments > Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed?
5. Re: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round for PC Revealed? Nov 25, 2014, 11:30 SimplyMonk

harlock wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 10:08:
they dont have anything like ESRB in japan do they?? "..tentacles penetrating vaginas while bodily fluids are gushing out of every orifice, (i.e. jizm)"

Japan has CERO, but I don't think they have detailed descriptions like the ESRB does. The ESRB in fact only started doing descriptions in the last 5 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Entertainment_Rating_Organization

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
31. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 18:40 SimplyMonk

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 18:08:
And I'm still leery about demanding such a thing, even if I agree with 'em.

That's fair. No sensible person thinks being "leery" of something is a crime either. I'm leery whenever anyone says something is absolute. This whole "gravity" thing is only a theory. I cling to the ground because I love it.

But as for 'no one is saying he's committed a crime', you may want to double check with Cutter and Beamer.

Please refer to above emphasis.

Those risks may be acceptable, but I'm not going to pretend that there's no risk at all.

Neither would I, but I think we have to be honest here and say the risk of a single tournament giving one of its participants a disqualification, not even a ban, is about as low risk as you can get to having detrimental effects on the freedom of expression as a whole.

I'm also not going to pretend this guy seriously threatened to physically rape someone, and that strawman being trotted out doesn't speak well of the people going for it here.

You have to admit though, he did phrase it in a way that, without some pretty involved context, is worthy of a great deal of ire from a community that is very sensitive right now about being perceived misogynistic. Due to his wording, I think some forgiveness can be allowed to those that react a little more spiritedly.

Still, even though the discussion on this issue has sometimes lacked reason, the punishment he received was reasonable.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2014, 18:59.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
25. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 17:46 SimplyMonk

The guy used the word "rape" in direct reference to an action he was going to perform against a woman. That's like using "lynch" with an African, "holocaust" with a Jew or "prohibition" with an Irishman.

Doing so pretty much makes you a douchebag (I can still say that, right?) and as a rule, private organizations that interface with the public tend to want to ostracize any douchebags (Seriously? Can I? The more I use it the more it feels like a slur) they discover among their ranks.

That's pretty much it. Free speech doesn't enter into it since the government wasn't involved. No one is saying he committed a crime. What he says reflects on the tournament organizers as a participant so they had to take action. The guy was a jerk and treated in a manner appropriate to his jerkiness.

I know there is a gut reaction to want to defend him on some anti-PC or idealistic freedom of expression, but this case clearly falls into the realm of him getting what he deserved for his comment. He was free to say it, but has to pay the price for what he said.

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
2. Re: Alienware's Nov 21, 2014, 17:31 SimplyMonk

Someone more up to date on PC Gaming Rig prices may be able to correct me...

But for $900, that looks like a pretty weak rig for what is essentially a custom case, an "Alpha UI" which you use to launch Steam and about $10 worth of games you could of bought in various bundles by now.

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
13. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 13:31 SimplyMonk

Ceribaen wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:09:
In this case, WH:T was intentionally not to be a table top replacement because Privateer Press doesn't want that.

Ah. Was not aware of that. Makes sense though, although why wouldn't they? I've always been a fan of table top gaming, but I'm fairly unskilled and uninterested in modeling and painting. To this date I've only painted up about 2000 points worth of a Thousand Sons WH:40K army which I gave away to a friend when I stopped playing. Mostly I borrowed armies from friends or, when I played Warmachine, just play with figs that only had a coat of primer on.

I'm not at the point in my life where I have the time for the hobby aspect of the game, but I'm more than sure that PP could squeeze a few hundred dollars out of me for a respectable digital version of the game.

Sounds like this isn't it though. Sadness, because I'm also really fond of the Warmachine universe. I had a lot of fun with the Iron Kingdoms role playing game as well back in the day. A video game RPG set in that universe would also be appealing.

9. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 12:32 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 12:20:
The original release of the recent Space Hulk game was nearly a 1:1 implementation, and people didn't like it.

Completely forgot about that game. Never got around to picking it up, but I heard good things from people that enjoyed the table top, which I bought when they re-released it a few years ago with the new models.

I suppose that is probably a leading reason why most developers don't mimic the table top directly as the general gaming public doesn't like the table top game play.

As for people's reaction to the initial release I think people just didn't realize how the 40K Universe works though in terms of Genestealers and Marines. Marine Power Armor is like butter to them and the universe is a pretty death-filled place. You have to approach the game with a rogue-like mentality.

Space Hulk missions by definition are suicide missions. If you'll notice, the vast majority of them are won when you complete an objective or destroy a target. Not "complete X and then escape before you get torn apart or die with the genestealers". The ultimate goal is never to get into hand-to-hand combat with a genestealer because they will just rip you apart. You are lucky if they don't.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 12:48.

8. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 12:04:
Wasn't the monetization of this like psychotically egotistical? I have this vague recollection that they were charging nearly the same prices as the physical models for "expansions".

I don't think they've released official pricing yet so most of that is just rumors. I'd expect more of a $1-5 range for units.

3. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 11:21 SimplyMonk

garrywong wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 10:57:
Hm, a WH40K game that might hopefully not suck, but priced at $40 with no demo.
Unfortunately, that means I will not be buying this, even though I would love to.

*twitch*

WARMACHINE is NOT Warhammer 40K. Completely different universe. Both are awesome, but different.

That being said, I've not heard good things about this from other fans of the table top. It amazes me that when these games get made they just don't copy the core rules and mechanics of the table top.

Blood Bowl was the only decent table top game implementation I've ever seen from the Warhammer Universe. Relic did an awesome job with all the Dawn of Wars of course, but they weren't trying to mimic the table top. Just use the Universe.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 11:29.

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
39. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 SimplyMonk

McTurbo wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:15:
InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 08:46:
Jonjonz wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 08:17:
Marketing 101 - assignment: your company overbooked massively an event. 80% of the paying customers could not get in for three days, until a quarter to a third of them gave up, at which time the rest could then access the content. Spin this to make your company look good.

WOW is still the best MMO ever, but, this roll out was a fiasco, and now that it is over, players have started to enjoy the new content that by all reports is excellent. Next roll out I am blocking out a week to play something else until the dust settles.

You just described every single Blizzard product launch since the original WoW came out. They always 'promise' to get the infrastructure up in place and are always 'surprised' that they so underestimated the demand. BS on an unprecedented scale, considering the billions of dollars involved funny that they keep getting away with it. Gamers are quite the whipping boy and publishers know this only too well...

Pandaria actually didn't have a bad launch at all.. and Ive been at all of em.. it had hiccups.. but not the kind that this one did.. this was basically a recreation of the BC launch

I thought it was common knowledge now that MMO companies don't spend money on Hardware to handle launch loads. Why spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on hardware you'll only really need for the first few weeks? After that the extra hardware would be wasted.

Much cheaper to spin the bad PR and give players free time to make up for it.

Actually, I'm not sure how true this is with virtualization nowadays. No reason Blizzard couldn't of bought some heavy duty EC2 servers from Amazon to handle the heavy load and then spun them down after it was over.

Probably still cheaper to just give players free time to make up for congested launches.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:06 SimplyMonk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:16:
Or maybe not. It's not uncommon to find massive sales on vehicles during November and December. There's that old adage of correlation is not causation.

Eh. You might be right. Google fact checking seems to suggest there is no clear causation or even really a spike right now.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 14:53 SimplyMonk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 14:01:
You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

Probably need to qualify that statement with "If you are smart..."

The spike in SUV/Truck sales since the gas price drop would indicate that high gas prices was the reason people were not buying SUVs/Trucks.

562 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo