Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 451 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
14. Re: OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways Aug 17, 2012, 17:13 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 17:04:
Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:14:
Interesting. Guess they ran out of capital.

They did a lot right, including all the partnerships they got (putting them on TVs was somewhat brilliant.)

Which means the failure was either:
1) Timing (too soon for the idea)
2) Idea (just not a good idea)
3) Operations (business not run by right people)

I don't see anyone else jumping into this right away, given how successful the bizdev was for these guys.

While the business might not be gone, it's late for the sky because it's targeting people who have massive pipelines but crappy computers and an aversion to consoles... who the fuck in the USA qualifies for that?

Launching in NA was a mistake, pure and simple. When it comes to bandwidth availability, we're the backwater yokels of the industrialized world. We don't improve service, we figure out new ways to bill for old service. So the 30mbit downstream or whatever was required to run the service without serious lag & compression problems limits your market to a small, already dedicated gaming group.

If the service is feasible anywhere, I'd have launched in South Korea. You know, where the government intends to have gigabit to the household as a standard service in a few years?

Launching where you don't have a large enough market with access to required infrastructure is insane.

All very good points. Couldn't agree more. They completely misjudged the market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
11. Re: OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways Aug 17, 2012, 17:01 SimplyMonk

Besides the fact that their pricing model is ridiculous and mods/customization for your game aren't possible in OnLive's setup, I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with Cloud gaming for certain people who maybe don't want to upgrade their gaming rigs every couple years.  

News Comments > WoW Adding All Race Access
10. Re: WoW Adding All Race Access Aug 17, 2012, 14:07 SimplyMonk

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:02:
I own shares of Blizz. I assure you I have never seen a dime from them.

You should of. They've given out dividends at least 3 times since 2010. Most of them over a dime.

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews
12. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews Aug 17, 2012, 14:02 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:54:
So you have some classes with a few good skills, and a ton of bad ones. And so you BUFF the bad ones? Rather than just nerf the shit out of the good ones?

Who are you and what have you done to Blizzard?!

Also, Bioware, since you wholesale copied Blizzard's method of "balancing" stuff, please take fucking note.

Creston

Reading the Monk notes, one thing stuck out pretty clear to me and it was that Blizzard was stressing how they didn't want to invalidate a player's accumulated gear with balance changes. Coming from a WoW background, hearing that from Blizzard made me just want to laugh and laugh since that has never been true for any of their games in the past...

Oh, the tangled web we weave when we seek to have a RMAH. Now that people are paying hard cash for their gear, Blizzard is afraid to do a change that will cause that gear to become worthless or cause shifts in the market. Future economic studies papers on Diablo 3 are getting more and more interesting all the time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 11:45 SimplyMonk

Apologies for the late start today: MrsBlue has been home this week as she starts her new job on Monday never did get to take advantage of our free Disney passes, either), which has thrown off what passes for a schedule around here. Things should be back on track next week.

That parenthesis has no start.... <twitches>

I'm just going to assume you are closing the one started HERE. I feel better now.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 11:51.

News Comments > C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer
13. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:20 SimplyMonk

So they turned C&C into a Michael Bay movie? Inflated ticket price and concessions included?  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Tomorrow
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Tomorrow Aug 14, 2012, 22:39 SimplyMonk

Turglar wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:54:
Cool so I only have to pay full box price to stress test their servers. Where do I sign up?

You sign up HERE! You are welcome. <3

deqer wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:47:
Ughh.

You should get that looked at. It doesn't sound healthy.

News Comments > Remember Me Announced
2. Re: Remember Me Announced Aug 14, 2012, 22:29 SimplyMonk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 22:24:
Not sure how I feel about random YouTube commenters being quoted in news stories...

As for the game itself, could be interesting.

It is a horrible practice that needs to stop. Quoting social media is next to just making shit up. Although, I did get a good laugh out of a video game advertisement I saw that included the following quote among a number more relevant ones:

"Meh." - Dr.Tankle829, Random YouTube User

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease
3. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease Aug 14, 2012, 22:06 SimplyMonk

If this was released on Steam... Maybe...

It is hard. Big FF fan, but FFVII was released when 3D was pretty bad by today's standards. Without a graphics overhaul I'm not sure I could replay it. Sprites stand the test of time. 3D doesn't age well.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 18:46 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:49:
I am saving my donations for the groups that represent projects I REALLY care about and that are REALLY in need of the money.

Same. This was something that I'll most likely buy if it is successful, but it isn't an idea I think is sound and worth my support. You aren't making a purchase with Kickstarter. You are making an investment and too many things about this project seemed like a bad investment to me.

If I give money to something I truly believe in, it gets funded, but then flubs I wouldn't feel too bad because sometimes things don't come together, but I was happy to give it a shot. With this, I wanted to own one, but I didn't believe in it that much, so it flubbing now would just infuriate me and feel like I had my money stolen.

At the end of the day I'm still out of my investment in both scenarios, but one I can deal with better, personally.

As a side note, is it wrong of me to hope the next console generation doesn't come about for 2 or 3 more years just to see a few unimaginative and foolish publishers burn?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 18:51.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 18:34 SimplyMonk

Bhruic wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 18:27:
I don't understand this mentality.

The guy is a shill or has an amazingly bad understanding of how publishers work internally.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 17:07 SimplyMonk

You don't motivate the market by saying your product isn't up to standards and the customer should feel bad when you don't buy it. I doesn't work that way. This is a bad article written by someone who has some personal issues to work out in order to find out what lead them to writing it.

I will say I give kudos to the developer for being upfront about the quality of the PC Port, but we are under no obligation to support it unless the individual feels it is worth their money.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 17:53.

News Comments > BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC
26. Re: BioWare on the Importance of Day One DLC Aug 14, 2012, 16:18 SimplyMonk

Day 1 DLC for $5 vs the game costing $65 seems a fair trade to me.  

News Comments > FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales
3. Re: FDSL Enables Used Digital Game Sales Aug 13, 2012, 12:49 SimplyMonk

I think that "sigh of relief" sounded more like a "groan of forced compliance". It isn't that they weren't capable of doing so. They just didn't want to.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2012, 12:44 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 12:03:
Anyone seen Black Dynamite before? I hadn't until last night and it's the funniest thing I've seen in years. They really did a great job with it. If you haven't seen it before - and dig the Blaxploitation genre - you have to watch it. You'll laugh your ass off!

Black Dynamite is fantastic. They hit ever cliche in the genre perfectly. After watching it I had to see "I'm Gonna Get Ya, Sucka!" again just to top it off. I think both are still are Netflix streaming for anyone interested.

"But Black Dynamite... I sell drugs to the community."

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup
5. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 12:38 SimplyMonk

Is there an skill trait I can get that will stop my wife from stealing all the good guns from me and looting chests while I'm still being attacked? Because that is what she did when we played as my then "girlfriend".  

News Comments > TF2 Gray Tease?
8. Re: TF2 Gray Tease? Aug 11, 2012, 14:59 SimplyMonk

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 12:45:
There was a 4 team mod for the original TF that worked out okay. It had red, blue, green, and yellow I think.

I still miss spy gas and some of the spammier grenade weapons.

I'd take some Helicopter-MIRV Grenades and Needle Grenades please.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video
11. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 19:28 SimplyMonk

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 17:46:
Few other companies would have the sack to say they're sorry and try to fix the game from the ground up. How about a trailer showing something other than cinematics? Damn Square-Enix loves their bloody CGI.

I always wondered if they had made a better movie than "Spirits Within" if Square-Enix would be a movie company now.

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 15:54 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 14:42:
SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 13:29:
As much as I want to give this game another shot, due to rabid Final Fantasy Fanboyism... Guild Wars 2.

Man I don't know, I'm about as big an FF fanboy as they come and I'm pretty dubious about this. Between the original beta/launch for this, FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and now plans for FFXIII-3 (yep Final Fantasy 13 Three) I'm left wondering if anyone sane still works there.

Don't get me wrong. I have a bunch of respect for Square in that they didn't settle for the game just being crap and are actually working hard and investing in the game to make it better... but unless they really come out with something at least as progressive as GW2, I can't really say I would take even the time to give it a whirl again.

As for the 13, 13-2 and 13-3 nonsense... It isn't any different to me than the off shoot games they made based on FF7 of FF12. Although, at least with their other offshoot games, they were usually a change of genre like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core and Revenant Wings. Maybe they've just gotten lazy with their naming?

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV Rebirth Interview; Video Aug 10, 2012, 13:29 SimplyMonk

As much as I want to give this game another shot, due to rabid Final Fantasy Fanboyism... Guild Wars 2.  

451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo