Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 483 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Secret World Patched
6. Re: The Secret World Patched Sep 19, 2012, 12:16 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:09:
I'm not trying to troll or anything deger, but you seem to have a hatred for gaming and MMO's in particular. Honestly like to know how that happened.

That's easy, he's head of game development at Electronic Arts!

*drumroll and cymbal, boom-boom!*

*/bows*

That is scary in both concept and the fact that this being the internet, that is entirely possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
19. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:13:
We'll see how it goes. Bioware has a lot of work to do to regain the blind pre-order trust from its fanbase. As far as I'm concerned, their games have been relegated to "I'll see what people say after a few weeks of it having been out," status.

Yeah. Seeing that DA1 had two solid month of sales compared too DA2's single month is very telling and paints a fairly plain picture that a lot of early blind pre-orders felt they got burned and poisoned the the next month of sales with bad reviews and used sales.

Hopefully EA will learn from that and rediscover what made DA1 so appealing. No time to be stubborn. Admit you made a mistake and make up for it.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Delayed
9. Re: Baldur's Gate Delayed Sep 15, 2012, 10:39 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 03:11:
I'll add to my blasphemy by saying I didn't get involved with the BG franchise until the second one ("what is this THAC0 shit?!"), and never went back to play the first one. :)

I'll join you in this and say that I played one BG game for all about 30 minutes. For the life of me, I can't remember which one, but I think it was the one that introduced Minsc.

I will say, however, that I've most likely played about 200 hours of Planescape: Torment over the years.

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
50. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 16:43 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 15:09:
Oh no, nothing that spergy, see spoiler below:

Someone having the power to turn on/off all electricity in the world with a USB thumb drive that is disguised as a necklace

So... it has the same writer as Eagle Eye?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
58. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 16:56 SimplyMonk

Trevellian wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:39:
In DND did you ever pick characters based on the holy trinity? We never did, we found ways to solve every problem with people playing exactly the class and race we wanted to, GW2 strives to bring that portion of DND to fruition.

This is one reason why I didn't like 4th Edition. I felt it tried to hard to bring the Holy Trinity into DND.

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 14:55 SimplyMonk

Alamar wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:16:
Other than being new, yay, how is GW2 (or any game) different than what you described?

Without the Holy Trinity, I have no clue what I am supposed to do in any given situation, so that right there is making the game fun for me more so than playing a specific role of the trinity. The unknown and lack of tank and spank for me is invigorating. Now will this eventually wear off as I get a better handle for the game? Sure. Will WvW do a lot to stave that off? Most likely, but the zerg is depressing as it was in Dark Age of Camelot. Luckily you can do without it with the right people.

Honestly, at the end of the day these are just number games. Your health and DPS vs targets health and DPS. The mechanics in GW2 though do a lot for shaking things up though where I am currently distracted and not painfully aware of it like I am when I played WoW. Luckily, with no monthly fee, I've already gotten my $50 worth so anything else is gravy.

Axis wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:20:
It could change, I hope it does. But farming for looks, exploring nooks and pvp zerging has an extremely limited fresh feel for most people.

I kinda want this to become an internet meme.

"Explorin' Nooks and Farmin' Looks"

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 15:01.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 12:49 SimplyMonk

BobBob wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:25:
If you find yourself playing an MMO, you should probably being getting a job or working at your current job better.

But first you have to find a girlfriend or move out of your mom's basement!

Am I right?! Yay! Stereotyping is fun!

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 12:06 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:56:
ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:54:
Rift is not a failure by any stretch. It is the best WoW MMO out, besting even WoW.

What?

The guy REALLY likes shiny things and Rift is filled with shiny things you can pick up. Obviously far better.

In all seriousness though, I think you can make an argument that for a certain group of players that don't care about lore or immersion or diversity of content Rift could be considered better than WoW. It is a straight clone for the most part, but what it does different I feel it does well. Just not enough in my opinion.

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 12:02 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:40:
So many dopes. :P

Yeah. My wife and I had no tolerance for long queue times in WoW so she'd be a tank and I'd be a healer or vice versa and we'd basically troll through the random DPS we got. Whenever we found someone that wasn't high, drunk or a failure of genetics we'd latch onto them like no tomorrow a run a few more instances with them.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 11:35 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 11:18:
Holy trinity creates a ludicrous inter-dependency and quite frankly has been done to death, there was room for innovation here and they achieved it.

This is most likely the sole reason the traditional MMO model is no longer appealing to me. You get a good healer, competent tank and non-retarded DPS and you are done. The game is over. Yeah, it feels good to succeed at a dungeon a few times because you know when to interrupt or you know that you have to press the shiny red button at the right time, but that gets old fast. Even games like Rift where you could fill multiple roles in the Trinity with one class just made it so you felt less encouraged to make alts.

It all become too blatantly a game a numbers at that point. At least GW2 for now is distracting me by attacking the issue from a different angle.

News Comments > The Secret World Lead Laid Off
27. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:51 SimplyMonk

jdwohlever wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:01:
Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one.

Everquest. In fact they have a new expansion coming out soon.
Oh. Anarchy Online too. Which was released by Funcom.

Actually, there are a lot of 10 year old MMOs out there. Just because you don't pull down WoW numbers doesn't mean you can't be successful and afford to keep a few servers powered on.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/desc

Haha. Apparently WWII Online is even still alive. Small wonders.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 18:21.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2012, 14:56 SimplyMonk

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 13:42:
Odd, wonder when someone is going to hold Obama's academic records ransom.

We already elected one C Student president (and who knows how many others throughout the years). Does any of this even really matter?

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
25. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 20:37 SimplyMonk

mch wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:52:
I was surprised by an op-ed I read earlier ("The $100 fee for Steam Greenlight submissions is exclusionary, and wrong"). I enjoy Ben's reviews (moreso when he was with Ars), but I can't agree with him here.

Ben wrote:
She called me classist.

He got called a name by a girl. That's why he changed his opinion. If you can't scrap together an extra $100 to submit your game, there is something wrong with you. Skip lunch for a month. Steal it. Take out a personal loan. Cash advance your credit card. Sell some old computer parts. Sell your old collection of magic cards. Sell blood and/or semen/eggs.

Unless we are talking third world developers here, $100 is in no way classist except in the sense that you are now excluding the homeless and people that have taking vows of poverty.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway
34. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 17:05 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:27:
They actually had PLENTY of this type of bitching themselves in the first Guild Wars. It used to be that trying to get an Elite skill was a real challenge. You'd have to find the boss that had it, hit him with some sort of capture skill, then you had to create conditions in which he would actually USE that Elite skill so you could capture it.

Awww. Sad. That sounded interesting and maybe a lot of fun in some cases. Never played GW1. I have it and I think the first three expansions, but my wife didn't care for it much and I've been too distracted with other things (GW2 now for one, which we both love) too put in the time now.

Oh well. Good on them.

27. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 15:00 SimplyMonk

I will say I am sad that Blizzard hasn't done what Guild Wars 2 is doing for their tournament and eSport aspects of the game. Make two modes to the game. One that is eSport-centric and focused on balanced and another that is focused on fun, creativity and just being damn awesome. GW2 does this by having their Tournament modes use separate player templates/abilities than their WvW and PvE modes. I'm sure they looked at WoW and the amount of bitching that people did when a PvP change effected PvE and figured for their Arena's, they didn't want this problem. The fact that I had some pretty awesome abilities in PvE and WvW, but those abilities are gone or altered in PvP Tournaments shows a lot of foresight.

I guess, in all honesty, you don't really need that for SC2 because if you don't like the competitive eSport side of the game, you can always just play unranked, single player or Custom Map games... but a stronger disconnect wouldn't be bad. Even going so far as having "unranked-only" units or features would do a lot to appealing to a greater majority of gamers.

23. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 14:30 SimplyMonk

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:19:
I just have to say that I completely disagree with you here, sadly. E-sports oriented games seem to be far more popular than single player games that focus on story and fun gameplay. Some of the best single player games don't do well financially, yet millions upon millions of copies of football games sell every year, as do the same rehashed online FPS games...

I'm in no way a mainstream gamer at all due to my JRPG fetish and the fact that I actually played through Operation Darkness simply because it had Werewolves and Vampires in WWII, despite being an overall horrible game... I loved it.

That being said, I wouldn't consider someone even an eSport fan just because they play MW3 online or they always pick up the most recent copy of Madden. And just because a game is based on a sport, doesn't mean it is an eSport game, but that may just be because if I heard there was a Madden NFL '12 tournament going on I'd most likely just laugh and watch real football instead.

Who knows though. I don't have an current figures on the popularity of eSports among gamers and personally am only familiar with the DotA teams and culture. I do know however that in the US, Starcraft II has no where near the following it does in Korea where it is arguably their national sport. Is it growing here though? Maybe. Could it be considered the majority? I doubt it.

19. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 14:04 SimplyMonk

CrashTestDummy wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:34:
Atleast watch the 4 minute video that I posted in my previous post before spouting some ignorant bullshit which is no longer true. The entire video was shot in Anaheim. Last time I checked, Anaheim is in USA.

I did watch it. You need to be aware though that the majority of people, maybe even the majority of people that call themselves gamers, don't care about eSports so you have to understand that when a game is less "fun" because it needs to be competitive, it will receive a negative response from most people.

I completely get you though and I meant my comment to be more funny than to be insulting. Well that is not necessarily true. I kinda meant it to be both. Regardless, I get where you are coming from. I played DotA and HoN quite often. Watched quite a number of matches in the DotA 2 Tourney and HoN tournaments. Those games are all about balance and competition so even changing where a tree exists could have huge implications to game play.

I'm just saying that Starcraft used to be a game that everyone could enjoy. Now that it has elevated to the eSport level that DotA could be considered at, it is no longer "fun" for mainstream gamers who just want to have an enjoyable experience, in my opinion. So, as not to annoy people like yourself that care deeply about the meta game and balance, the rest of us that don't care about the eSport aspect should just treat the game and its future iterations as if they never existed.

They aren't built for us anymore. It is built for the sport.

As a side note, I live very close to Anaheim and have been to that exact site multiple times. That being said, if they had a curling tournament there, I wouldn't then consider curling relevant.

EDIT: Haha. Apparently there has been. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE CURLING LIKE STARCRAFT?! LINK

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2012, 14:16.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
16. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:45 SimplyMonk

$100 is a worthy fee just to be seen on Steam Greenlight right now. A buddy of mine is an independent developer, (Black Chicken Studio), that focuses on very niche titles. Getting his title onto to Steam Greenlight netted him enough interest for his game, Scheherazade, already to make back that $100 easy, even though he submitted Day 1. People saw his game, commented both negatively and positively, and a good amount of people even saved it to their favorites. Not talking large numbers here and most likely not enough to actually get on Steam, but far better than he could do on his own. The fact that Valve is donating the money to charity is just icing on the cake for what is essentially free advertising.

Now, I don't know how useful of an advertising and publicity outlet Greenlight will be in the future, but right now it is fairly good considering I even discovered a few titles that were already launched, I'm interested in, but never even heard of until Greenlight.

Also, Steam's old approval process was horrid. You either had to know someone at Valve, have a solid track record and titles on Steam already or prove yourself somewhere else first just to even get an e-mail back from them. Although I doubt it was official, unless you were pushing solid figures on other portals, Steam wouldn't even pay attention to your existence. Can't necessarily blame them though because I imagine the number of submissions they get are fairly high considering the current state of the Greenlight (minus the troll submissions).

14. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 13:30 SimplyMonk

CrashTestDummy wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:14:
I hardly ever post on blues, and I limit myself to just skimming the articles and comments, but I have to say the level of narrow mindedness on this forum is through the roof.

So... you are saying that since Korea has now adopted Starcraft as their national sport, we should treat it as all other sports that exist outside of our country of origin. Ignore it, its players and all of its rule changes and associated news.

Gotcha. Can do and done.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural Sep 4, 2012, 16:15 SimplyMonk

J wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:44:
Can I perform blood rituals on regular Sims?

"Nice toon. It will do perfectly. Bones for Vix'thra!"

If this was true and the system for blood sacrifice and summoning elder gods was sufficiently complex, this would be the first Sims game I ever bought.

483 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo