Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 562 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands
4. Re: Dark Age of Camelot Changes Hands Feb 5, 2014, 15:35 SimplyMonk

Panickd wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:25:
Wow. DAoC still exists? I thought it had died years ago. You never hear anything about it anymore, at all.

With the buyout by EA and the focus on WAR, I think it was placed on a back-burner. Says something though for the value of owning your own IP, or using one in the public domain, as WAR is now shuttered, but DAoC can keep going by just keeping the servers up and a few coders/customer service alive.

Hey. Look at Horizons and Anarchy Online. Both original IPs and both continuing to function because I'm sure they player base is still strong enough to cover operating costs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW Realm Connections and Character Transfers
3. Re: WoW Realm Connections and Character Transfers Jan 22, 2014, 12:26 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 10:57:
I played on Area 52 -- the issue there was the population was 9 to 1 Horde, fortunately I was Horde. Wonder if that is still the case...

Yeah. My wife plays on Area 52. It's pretty obscene.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens
26. Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft Beta Opens Jan 22, 2014, 11:37 SimplyMonk

I've been playing this, Scrolls and Solforge. Scrolls is the only game I've spent real money on and truly enjoy. Kickstarted Solforge, but I regret it.

Hearthstone is a pretty, well-engineered and modestly generous game for a CCG. Still in BETA, but the lack of being able to trade cards with other players is a pretty big fuck you to traditional TCG players. I understand it from a financial point of view, but it inspires me to spend no money on the game. That being said, I've built a fairly decent Shaman deck by playing Arena and dusting/crafting cards.

The game is overly simplistic at times, but that can be a huge win if you are just looking to blow five minutes while waiting for an appointment especially when this hits tablets. A lot of cards are luck based to the point of winning you the game or completely screwing you on a coin flip. The trap cards are a good addition for some added strategy though and something I wish more CCGs would add when they don't allow you to play cards during your opponents turn.

Arena is super fun when you get a good deck out of it, but sometimes the random cards you get just don't have much synergy and you get stomped. At least no matter what though you get a little dust and a card pack for your troubles.

Deck construction makes me a little sad in that you are pretty pigeonholed in deck design by the class system they have. Priests can't use paladin cards and the true power cards are class specific. Sure, they classes have a little wiggle room for creativity, but you are pretty constrained. The neutral cards have a few flavors to them, but outside of the legendary cards you pretty much just sprinkle in some neutrals that go well with your class cards. Expect Blizzard's usual heavy hand with class balance that you see in WoW.

The lesson I've learned playing it is not to take it too seriously. The game is light fun with a lot of luck and very little strategy. If you try and treat it anymore than that you will end most play sessions rage quitting or frustrated. If you don't want that, play Scrolls.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2014, 11:42.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 12:24 SimplyMonk

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 12:22:
I'm still waiting for the update that adds new skills. They're supposed to be enabling every class to use every kind of weapon, and possibly adding more weapon types.

Really? That would be crazy for Engineer as right now you only have Pistol, Rifle and Shield which I always thought was balanced by the fact that they have a ton of utility packs. Giving them the ability to use every weapon + their packs seems a little over the top.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 11:58 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 11:31:
How is an engineer? Is it fun?

You get a flamethrower.

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
19. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 12:49 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 10:41:
Deathbishop wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 10:38:
Since when is WoW a FTP game?

Yeah that's BS. Is there anything to actually buy in WoW, or are they just counting its subscription fees, in which case err... FREE to play?

See as Crossfire ranks so high, I'm going with them looking at this on an international level and if I remember correctly, WoW is Free-To-Play in China and a few other regions so that might be their justification for being included in this list.

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 12:25:
SuperData Research, really?

My numbers from BigTimeFigures say differently.

I call bullshit.

Yeah. These aren't published numbers. They probably just took reported account numbers, cost of items in the online store and ran some math to say how much each account might of spent in 2013 based on some distribution of whales, minnows and free loaders. That might be a rough ballpark figure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are wildly off. Without seeing an actual breakdown of their methodology, it is all suspect.

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
30. Re: Pay to win? Jan 17, 2014, 14:35 SimplyMonk

ColBlister wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 14:15:
Isn't this just one wahfer-thin mint away from pay to win?

You don't win at MMOs. You only realize that you've suffered long enough.

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed
1. Re: Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game Revealed Jan 17, 2014, 11:11 SimplyMonk

Hesitantly optimistic just by the mere fact that it is Lovecraft. The concept art looks solid, but I'm more intrigued in game design and how they will define my loose grasp on sanity.  

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
17. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 11:04 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 10:30:
WoW isn't a brand new MMO. Most older players have leveled a bunch of characters. There is little reason to force them to do so again. New players are often just trying to get to the "real" game that you need to be level capped for.

Sadly the leveling up "experience" that WoW captured so well in its infancy is all but dead. BOAs and other bonuses make all leveling up content a joke. PvP is dominated by twinks to the point where it isn't fun unless you are decked out in pricey enchanted heirlooms as they one-shot you and are immortal. Grouping is nothing more than a silent chore of queues where you are never really in danger of losing because low level content and class ability make everything a farce. Questing at least may be found refreshing to a new player in that some of the redone zones have some good comedy/lore in them even if all the quests could be done by an inbred yokel in their sleep.

None of this is necessarily bad because I think it helps retain their current player base, but it definitely not the same experience or carry the some weight as it did in Vanilla WoW so I think new players are getting a little shafted. That being said, I prefer GW2 way of making zones a challenge regardless of what level you are. In the long run it may prove annoying if I wanted to make a bunch of alts, but at least it would stay somewhat challenging.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2014, 11:47 SimplyMonk

That Husky could literally be my eldest as she had similar reactions when we were trying to crate train her as a pup. We eventually gave up, but made sure she had to eat her food and treats in her crate and after a few weeks she eventually saw the crate as hers and would sleep in it no problem when we went out.  

News Comments > Outrise Revealed
7. Re: Outrise Revealed Jan 9, 2014, 18:59 SimplyMonk

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 18:36:
That was another option for mmo's imo. For instances allow people to login and sign up for monster duty. Where you get to play baddie against the main group. But no, lets do the same shit over and over and over and over. MMO's do suck until they make some type of shift in game play.

EQ1 had that option. You could login and play as a rat and kill new players. Was fun with a group of people.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/play-as-a-monster-in-everquest/1100-2823441/

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
20. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 13:23 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:40:
It's basically an adequate storefront with schizophrenic client software. Like most things EA does these days, it feels very poorly thought out and half assed.

It wasn't an instantaneous money maker that made it rain so it went on the back burner and isn't being prioritized.

News Comments > Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES
25. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 6, 2014, 17:57 SimplyMonk

The people that buy Alienware will probably buy these.

*eyes his Alienware laptop... looks at Steam Box....*

Naw.

News Comments > Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners
9. Re: Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners Dec 19, 2013, 16:59 SimplyMonk

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 16:23:
Wetworks wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 15:39:
I bought Scrolls when it first came out but it wasn't worth it to me to keep playing it. For some unforgivable reason Scrolls doesn't work with Avast antivirus. I have to disable Avast just to play Scrolls, even after all these months the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Doesn't really matter, I'm having so much fun in Hearthstone that I doubt I'll ever go back to playing Scrolls.

I suspect I'll like Hearthstone more, too. But in the meantime Scrolls might hold me over.

I enjoy Hearthstone when I have 5 minutes to kill and want a quick game. The deck construction and play styles are very tightly controlled by Blizzard and their Deck-Class setup. You can't mix class spells at all so it is basically just WoW in card form. It is fun and easy though, if lacking in depth and strategy. A little too reliant on randomness for my sake though as there are a lot of cards which are pretty much "do nothing or win you the game" randomly. It is also very FTP in the sense that getting cards outside of dropping cash for them is very limited. Better than most, but they still have to make a buck.

Scrolls is more when you have 15-30 mins and want to play a deeper game with vastly more choices and diversity in strategy and deck construction. But it has the initial buy-in and a smaller community than Hearthstone which is made to appeal to the masses.

Each has their place and I enjoy both honestly, even though Hearthstone frustrates me more when playing because I feel like I'm constantly losing to the luck of the draw and randomness. Scrolls I lose because I get outplayed and didn't think enough turns ahead.

News Comments > Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners
3. Re: Gift Copies for Scrolls Owners Dec 19, 2013, 12:11 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Dec 19, 2013, 11:02:
Isn't this a game in which you have to buy additional cards/packs?

Nope. In fact you can't spend any real money on cards except for the pre-constructed decks, cosmetic items and a random 6 individual card selection that gets refreshed every 3 days. Card packs can only be purchased with in-game currency.

All that stuff is also easily earn able through in-game currency. Might take you 2-3 hours whereas you could just drop $5 to buy a pre-constructed deck, but still doable.

By far my favorite TCG to date simply by the attitude and mechanics that Mojang is showing. Plus it is also the only deeply strategic TCG out there right now. Full deck customization, all factions can be mixed to your hearts content and combat takes place on a hex map rather then just lanes so positioning and movement are critical.

18. Re: Multivitamins waste of money Dec 18, 2013, 13:21 SimplyMonk

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 13:08:
Multivitamins are a funny subject.

Exactly. Well said. They won't cure or prevent your cancer, but if you don't even know what an orange looks like, they keep your teeth from falling out.

That being said, most of the food you eat in America is fortified with a bunch of vitamins already so you most likely don't need to take any megadose vitamins, but a daily multi-vitamin won't hurt you in the least, especially if your diet isn't hitting your basic needs.

Plus if anything there is always the placebo effect that can have noted benefits on your mood and health.

News Comments > Two New Space Hulk Campaigns
4. Re: Two New Space Hulk Campaigns Nov 22, 2013, 17:27 SimplyMonk

Darks wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 17:04:
Prez wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 16:14:
The reviews have been pretty poor for Space Hulk, but I've spoken to two different people who said the game is It's more a diamond in the rough than an out and out bad game from what I've heard.

Prez, I personally hate this game. The Space Marines miss shooting a target practically in their face with a flamer. I mean give me a break already. A flamer that is AOE and nukes the entire area and he misses an Alien. Thats when I just up and quit and said I had enough. There are other instance to similar to this one wit the Marines missing their target way to many times. So, I'm done with this shit title and wont spend another dime on it.

Well... it is a dice-based board game so... RNG. If I remember the board game correctly, I think the Genestealers get an armor save?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 14:49 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:59:
John wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 13:34:
Then I can use my phone or tablet to wirelessly control my PC to play anything I want.
How do you do that?

If you have an iOS device, you can use this Logitech app for free:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-mouse/id338237450

Works pretty well. I was able to play Scrolls and a few other turn based games when my daughter was a newborn and using me for a bed. Perfectly fine for navigating, browsing and loading up videos.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 12:30 SimplyMonk

Good luck for your pup!  

News Comments > Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm
20. Re: Blizzard All-Stars Now Heroes of the Storm Oct 18, 2013, 11:52 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Oct 18, 2013, 09:11:
MOBAs hit critical mass awhile ago and while I like Blizzard I have no interest in this.

I don't know. Saying MOBAs have hit critical mass is like saying Shooters reached critical mass when Quake 2 came out. Yeah. There are a number out there and we are kinda neck deep in MOBA options right now, but it is no different then when the Shooter, Adventure Game (Haunted Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island), MMORPG or other genres first hit the scene. There is still some potential for gems from companies that have the skills to pull it off well.

You can still count the number of successful MOBAs on one hand and I'm not all that bothered to see Blizzard throw their hat into this ring. Although, it will all come down to how much they want to set themselves apart from the rest of the genre. Do they just release a really polished, but cookie-cutter MOBA or try to push the envelope and release something unique?

Blizzard still has potential, even if their recent track record hasn't been up to snuff. Hearthstone itself I find rather disappointing compared to a game like Scrolls. Too much WoW in my card game and I mean that as a deck design methodology critique and not the fact that they use the same fluff.

Critical mass may well be achieved once the EA and DC Universe MOBA which are currently in BETA (I think?) hit the scene. Zynga's addition was at least interesting in the brevity of the matches. Chinese knock offs are right around the corner and those are usually a good indication of complete saturation.

562 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo