Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 451 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
25. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 20:37 SimplyMonk

mch wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:52:
I was surprised by an op-ed I read earlier ("The $100 fee for Steam Greenlight submissions is exclusionary, and wrong"). I enjoy Ben's reviews (moreso when he was with Ars), but I can't agree with him here.

Ben wrote:
She called me classist.

He got called a name by a girl. That's why he changed his opinion. If you can't scrap together an extra $100 to submit your game, there is something wrong with you. Skip lunch for a month. Steal it. Take out a personal loan. Cash advance your credit card. Sell some old computer parts. Sell your old collection of magic cards. Sell blood and/or semen/eggs.

Unless we are talking third world developers here, $100 is in no way classist except in the sense that you are now excluding the homeless and people that have taking vows of poverty.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway
34. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 17:05 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:27:
They actually had PLENTY of this type of bitching themselves in the first Guild Wars. It used to be that trying to get an Elite skill was a real challenge. You'd have to find the boss that had it, hit him with some sort of capture skill, then you had to create conditions in which he would actually USE that Elite skill so you could capture it.

Awww. Sad. That sounded interesting and maybe a lot of fun in some cases. Never played GW1. I have it and I think the first three expansions, but my wife didn't care for it much and I've been too distracted with other things (GW2 now for one, which we both love) too put in the time now.

Oh well. Good on them.

27. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 15:00 SimplyMonk

I will say I am sad that Blizzard hasn't done what Guild Wars 2 is doing for their tournament and eSport aspects of the game. Make two modes to the game. One that is eSport-centric and focused on balanced and another that is focused on fun, creativity and just being damn awesome. GW2 does this by having their Tournament modes use separate player templates/abilities than their WvW and PvE modes. I'm sure they looked at WoW and the amount of bitching that people did when a PvP change effected PvE and figured for their Arena's, they didn't want this problem. The fact that I had some pretty awesome abilities in PvE and WvW, but those abilities are gone or altered in PvP Tournaments shows a lot of foresight.

I guess, in all honesty, you don't really need that for SC2 because if you don't like the competitive eSport side of the game, you can always just play unranked, single player or Custom Map games... but a stronger disconnect wouldn't be bad. Even going so far as having "unranked-only" units or features would do a lot to appealing to a greater majority of gamers.

23. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 14:30 SimplyMonk

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:19:
I just have to say that I completely disagree with you here, sadly. E-sports oriented games seem to be far more popular than single player games that focus on story and fun gameplay. Some of the best single player games don't do well financially, yet millions upon millions of copies of football games sell every year, as do the same rehashed online FPS games...

I'm in no way a mainstream gamer at all due to my JRPG fetish and the fact that I actually played through Operation Darkness simply because it had Werewolves and Vampires in WWII, despite being an overall horrible game... I loved it.

That being said, I wouldn't consider someone even an eSport fan just because they play MW3 online or they always pick up the most recent copy of Madden. And just because a game is based on a sport, doesn't mean it is an eSport game, but that may just be because if I heard there was a Madden NFL '12 tournament going on I'd most likely just laugh and watch real football instead.

Who knows though. I don't have an current figures on the popularity of eSports among gamers and personally am only familiar with the DotA teams and culture. I do know however that in the US, Starcraft II has no where near the following it does in Korea where it is arguably their national sport. Is it growing here though? Maybe. Could it be considered the majority? I doubt it.

19. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 14:04 SimplyMonk

CrashTestDummy wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:34:
Atleast watch the 4 minute video that I posted in my previous post before spouting some ignorant bullshit which is no longer true. The entire video was shot in Anaheim. Last time I checked, Anaheim is in USA.

I did watch it. You need to be aware though that the majority of people, maybe even the majority of people that call themselves gamers, don't care about eSports so you have to understand that when a game is less "fun" because it needs to be competitive, it will receive a negative response from most people.

I completely get you though and I meant my comment to be more funny than to be insulting. Well that is not necessarily true. I kinda meant it to be both. Regardless, I get where you are coming from. I played DotA and HoN quite often. Watched quite a number of matches in the DotA 2 Tourney and HoN tournaments. Those games are all about balance and competition so even changing where a tree exists could have huge implications to game play.

I'm just saying that Starcraft used to be a game that everyone could enjoy. Now that it has elevated to the eSport level that DotA could be considered at, it is no longer "fun" for mainstream gamers who just want to have an enjoyable experience, in my opinion. So, as not to annoy people like yourself that care deeply about the meta game and balance, the rest of us that don't care about the eSport aspect should just treat the game and its future iterations as if they never existed.

They aren't built for us anymore. It is built for the sport.

As a side note, I live very close to Anaheim and have been to that exact site multiple times. That being said, if they had a curling tournament there, I wouldn't then consider curling relevant.

EDIT: Haha. Apparently there has been. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE CURLING LIKE STARCRAFT?! LINK

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2012, 14:16.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee
16. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:45 SimplyMonk

$100 is a worthy fee just to be seen on Steam Greenlight right now. A buddy of mine is an independent developer, (Black Chicken Studio), that focuses on very niche titles. Getting his title onto to Steam Greenlight netted him enough interest for his game, Scheherazade, already to make back that $100 easy, even though he submitted Day 1. People saw his game, commented both negatively and positively, and a good amount of people even saved it to their favorites. Not talking large numbers here and most likely not enough to actually get on Steam, but far better than he could do on his own. The fact that Valve is donating the money to charity is just icing on the cake for what is essentially free advertising.

Now, I don't know how useful of an advertising and publicity outlet Greenlight will be in the future, but right now it is fairly good considering I even discovered a few titles that were already launched, I'm interested in, but never even heard of until Greenlight.

Also, Steam's old approval process was horrid. You either had to know someone at Valve, have a solid track record and titles on Steam already or prove yourself somewhere else first just to even get an e-mail back from them. Although I doubt it was official, unless you were pushing solid figures on other portals, Steam wouldn't even pay attention to your existence. Can't necessarily blame them though because I imagine the number of submissions they get are fairly high considering the current state of the Greenlight (minus the troll submissions).

14. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 13:30 SimplyMonk

CrashTestDummy wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:14:
I hardly ever post on blues, and I limit myself to just skimming the articles and comments, but I have to say the level of narrow mindedness on this forum is through the roof.

So... you are saying that since Korea has now adopted Starcraft as their national sport, we should treat it as all other sports that exist outside of our country of origin. Ignore it, its players and all of its rule changes and associated news.

Gotcha. Can do and done.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Sims 3 Supernatural Sep 4, 2012, 16:15 SimplyMonk

J wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:44:
Can I perform blood rituals on regular Sims?

"Nice toon. It will do perfectly. Bones for Vix'thra!"

If this was true and the system for blood sacrifice and summoning elder gods was sufficiently complex, this would be the first Sims game I ever bought.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
39. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 16:06 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:04:
...eeeek Dizzy

Yeah... I think I'm going to go get some more punch... and not come back.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
29. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 14:32 SimplyMonk

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
...then I'd be just like everyone else

Good to see how you've rationalized it by lying to yourself into thinking everyone is as short-sighted as you.

Oh well. Tragedy of the commons.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
19. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 13:41 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 13:33:
Apart from mucking around with the aesthetic there isn't a lot you can do. Angled keyboards and strange mice never did for most people and what we have now works pretty well. Devices like Kinect are wholly impractical for the average user and most people don't want to stand around using their entire body as a controller when 2 hands will do. so yeah, I'm really curious as to what they think is being overlooked.

Lasers

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
15. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 12:52 SimplyMonk

Get back to me when you have something that I can plug directly into the base of my skull. Till then I'll be waiting here watching Ghost in the Shell and wishing I also got a degree in biology as well as computer science. Then again, that degree might just tell me why that shit will never work, which would just make me sad.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2012, 18:31 SimplyMonk

Bark!  

News Comments > State of The Secret World
7. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 18:30 SimplyMonk

"Meh." - Funcom in a nutshell.  

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
26. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:19 SimplyMonk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:52:
And even if your memory is there, your memory is a completely irrelevant thing to us, who don't have it.

Nothing is forgotten. Private servers will continue to exist as long as there is interest.

It would be nice though if fallen MMOs released the source and server code for people to muck around with. Could see some nice mods/fan games come out of it.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
12. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:27 SimplyMonk

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:19:
Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

I would say that it says a lot about the relative value of IP, versus actual gameplay. Good gameplay keeps players, IP (good or bad) doesn't.

The only value in big-name IP is getting players to take a look at the game in the first place. After that, gameplay is all that matters. And there are plenty of alternative ways to get that first look...many of them cheaper than licensing IP.

Yeah. I agree completely. An expensive IP needs good game play to keep it going. Roleplayers and people that love the IP alone won't keep a game with high costs running. Good game play or cheap costs and a dedicated fan base can keep even a generic game going for years.

My favorite example of this is Horizons, which I'm fairly sure subsists now purely on people who want to role play Dragons.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:44 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:31:
Why not just make them 72 hour bans to begin with?

The severity of the punishment is up to ANET. They set the policies. We agree to live in their little dictatorship. They dole out the punishment as they see fit. Obviously they wish to rule with a cold iron fist which sends multiple message. One of which being that if you don't like their form of dictatorship, you are free to move somewhere else. They don't seek to have a dialogue in cases where the user knowingly violated terms of service or even unknowingly violated them to a large degree as they only banned people who exploited the bug greater than 50 times which I would consider generous.

I'm not really all that bothered if a few miscreants disappear into the shadows never to be heard of again. As with most things though, I might have a different opinion should the Eye of ANET ever turn on me in a way I don't feel is justified. At which point, I quit giving them my time and money.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:19 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:51:
From what I've read here it seems a bit far-reaching to call this an exploit. If they get the prices wrong on a vendor it is the players fault? How about banning the guy who made the change to the vendor from their offices for 72 hours...

Just because you left your keys in the car, doesn't mean that people aren't at fault for getting in and stealing your car. Yeah, it is a dumb move on your part, most insurance companies won't pay out for your policy and you might be held liable for what they do with that car, but it is still grand theft auto for the thief and they still go to jail if you press charges.

I'm sure whoever was responsible for the bug and the team that failed to catch it are catching their fair share of the flak internally at ANET for this.

News Comments > Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced
13. Re: Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced Aug 31, 2012, 13:38 SimplyMonk

MattyC wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:51:
I hold a similar view. None of the stuff was the same once EA got into the mix, but it was at least tolerable. I still enjoyed the campy fun CG and Kane. Once C&C 4 came out I was like... nope... not doing this. I mean they made a C&C game where you don't even have bases. Who thought that was a good idea? Had they played any of the other C&C games?

They tried to turn it into a RTS Arena game like DotA or HoN. EA saw that they didn't have a title in that genre and wanted to jump in. Sadly, they chose the C&C IP to do this with since their brains think all RTS are the same so if WC3 can do it, why not C&C?

As a side note, for some reason I occasionally get an urge to play Renegade again. My brain keeps telling me RTS and FPS should never mix, but my heart keeps wanting it to. Although, I should probably just play Savage II or Sacrifice as they did it a lot better.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 30, 2012, 15:44 SimplyMonk

Blue wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 12:41:
Prostitute of Asia too PC?

J wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 12:41:
Game cost five dolla. You play long time. There's a special place in hell for me.

Great one-liners like these are the only reason I now care about this game. I patiently await the Zero Punctuation review.

451 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo