Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 629 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release
13. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 13:31 SimplyMonk

Ceribaen wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:09:
In this case, WH:T was intentionally not to be a table top replacement because Privateer Press doesn't want that.

Ah. Was not aware of that. Makes sense though, although why wouldn't they? I've always been a fan of table top gaming, but I'm fairly unskilled and uninterested in modeling and painting. To this date I've only painted up about 2000 points worth of a Thousand Sons WH:40K army which I gave away to a friend when I stopped playing. Mostly I borrowed armies from friends or, when I played Warmachine, just play with figs that only had a coat of primer on.

I'm not at the point in my life where I have the time for the hobby aspect of the game, but I'm more than sure that PP could squeeze a few hundred dollars out of me for a respectable digital version of the game.

Sounds like this isn't it though. Sadness, because I'm also really fond of the Warmachine universe. I had a lot of fun with the Iron Kingdoms role playing game as well back in the day. A video game RPG set in that universe would also be appealing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 12:32 SimplyMonk

Orogogus wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 12:20:
The original release of the recent Space Hulk game was nearly a 1:1 implementation, and people didn't like it.

Completely forgot about that game. Never got around to picking it up, but I heard good things from people that enjoyed the table top, which I bought when they re-released it a few years ago with the new models.

I suppose that is probably a leading reason why most developers don't mimic the table top directly as the general gaming public doesn't like the table top game play.

As for people's reaction to the initial release I think people just didn't realize how the 40K Universe works though in terms of Genestealers and Marines. Marine Power Armor is like butter to them and the universe is a pretty death-filled place. You have to approach the game with a rogue-like mentality.

Space Hulk missions by definition are suicide missions. If you'll notice, the vast majority of them are won when you complete an objective or destroy a target. Not "complete X and then escape before you get torn apart or die with the genestealers". The ultimate goal is never to get into hand-to-hand combat with a genestealer because they will just rip you apart. You are lucky if they don't.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 12:48.

8. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 12:04:
Wasn't the monetization of this like psychotically egotistical? I have this vague recollection that they were charging nearly the same prices as the physical models for "expansions".

I don't think they've released official pricing yet so most of that is just rumors. I'd expect more of a $1-5 range for units.

3. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Full Release Nov 21, 2014, 11:21 SimplyMonk

garrywong wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 10:57:
Hm, a WH40K game that might hopefully not suck, but priced at $40 with no demo.
Unfortunately, that means I will not be buying this, even though I would love to.

*twitch*

WARMACHINE is NOT Warhammer 40K. Completely different universe. Both are awesome, but different.

That being said, I've not heard good things about this from other fans of the table top. It amazes me that when these games get made they just don't copy the core rules and mechanics of the table top.

Blood Bowl was the only decent table top game implementation I've ever seen from the Warhammer Universe. Relic did an awesome job with all the Dawn of Wars of course, but they weren't trying to mimic the table top. Just use the Universe.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2014, 11:29.

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
39. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 SimplyMonk

McTurbo wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 11:15:
InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 08:46:
Jonjonz wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 08:17:
Marketing 101 - assignment: your company overbooked massively an event. 80% of the paying customers could not get in for three days, until a quarter to a third of them gave up, at which time the rest could then access the content. Spin this to make your company look good.

WOW is still the best MMO ever, but, this roll out was a fiasco, and now that it is over, players have started to enjoy the new content that by all reports is excellent. Next roll out I am blocking out a week to play something else until the dust settles.

You just described every single Blizzard product launch since the original WoW came out. They always 'promise' to get the infrastructure up in place and are always 'surprised' that they so underestimated the demand. BS on an unprecedented scale, considering the billions of dollars involved funny that they keep getting away with it. Gamers are quite the whipping boy and publishers know this only too well...

Pandaria actually didn't have a bad launch at all.. and Ive been at all of em.. it had hiccups.. but not the kind that this one did.. this was basically a recreation of the BC launch

I thought it was common knowledge now that MMO companies don't spend money on Hardware to handle launch loads. Why spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on hardware you'll only really need for the first few weeks? After that the extra hardware would be wasted.

Much cheaper to spin the bad PR and give players free time to make up for it.

Actually, I'm not sure how true this is with virtualization nowadays. No reason Blizzard couldn't of bought some heavy duty EC2 servers from Amazon to handle the heavy load and then spun them down after it was over.

Probably still cheaper to just give players free time to make up for congested launches.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 16:06 SimplyMonk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 15:16:
Or maybe not. It's not uncommon to find massive sales on vehicles during November and December. There's that old adage of correlation is not causation.

Eh. You might be right. Google fact checking seems to suggest there is no clear causation or even really a spike right now.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 14:53 SimplyMonk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 14:01:
You don't buy a full sized truck, or by an extension, an SUV if you're worried about gas mileage or can't afford the gas.

Probably need to qualify that statement with "If you are smart..."

The spike in SUV/Truck sales since the gas price drop would indicate that high gas prices was the reason people were not buying SUVs/Trucks.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2014, 11:09 SimplyMonk

Blue wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 09:50:
We got a good deal because interest in hybrids has diminished with recent drops in gas prices, but the 44 hwy/city MPG still seems very appealing to me.

Awesome deal for you, but seriously... It is not like gas prices are super volatile or anything.

"Ooooh! We are back under 3 $/gallon! Time to financially lock myself into a vehicle that gets 3 mi/gallon."

News Comments > Goat Simulator Free MMO Expansion Thursday
24. Re: removed Nov 17, 2014, 18:34 SimplyMonk

Asmo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 18:06:
Srsly though, this is a great game for having child like fun.

I've always wanted to be a Microwave. Now my childhood dream can be realized.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 17, 2014, 18:31 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:14:
My feelings on Anonymous are mixed, at best, but I find myself greatly pleased that they are messing with the KKK. I have long wondered why a hacktivist group hasn't gone after them before.

Anon for the most part defends free speech. Blatantly attacking the KKK for their hate speech would go against their core principles. It is only because the KKK threatened physical violence to dissuade protesters that they began their campaign.

Its a little ironic because one of the main things that Anon attacks first is their targets ability to communicate, in essence silencing them. But I suppose that is war and as long as Anon didn't take the first shot that is fine with them.

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
11. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 15:29 SimplyMonk

Meh. Blatant attempt to try and cash in on the Goat/Surgeon Simulator fad. Not a good one at that even.

At least they could of stuck to the theme like Viscera Cleanup Detail did and just have you grow and fertilize different kinds of grass or something. Maybe breeding different grass crossbreeds and introduce some creative elements like making mutant or killer grass/plants.

Would of been at least more interesting than just shooting cows.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
13. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 15:20 SimplyMonk

Nut wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:37:
Is this really just a pleasure-seeker or is it possible this is someone with a vested interest against Blizzard, such as a Chinese competitor?

Sometimes just for the L0Lz. Sometimes politically motivated. Sometimes policy motivated. Also, just because you see a lot of traffic coming from China doesn't mean that the people responsible live in China. Just an easier place to put together bot nets.

China's player base could have qualms with Blizzard though as I think Blizzard/NetEase (the company that manages Blizzard titles in China), or the Chinese Government, in the past block releases of WoW expansions for some time versus the other regional launches. Not sure if that is true with WoD though.

EDIT: Yeah. Appears China has to wait a week. [Link]

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
24. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:34 SimplyMonk

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:08:
Ridiculously stupid decision, much of the world is still experiencing recession.

If this is a monetary issue for you, you probably should't be backing Star Citizen or high-end PC gaming in the first place.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 15:06 SimplyMonk

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:34:
nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:27:

R* is the best!

Well, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. If they were the best, they wouldn't be charging $60 for an HD version of a year old game.

Meh. You've already waited a year. Wait another and it will be $15 on Steam.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 13:24 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:33:
Yes, let's focus on self-driving busses, because that would fix EVERYTHING! Then I can have a self-driving machine take me from where I'm not to where I'm not going, as opposed to a driver taking me from where I'm not to where I'm not going. AMAZING! THE WORLD IS SAVED!

Rolleyes

Yeah... From the passengers point of view, buses are already self-driving. Doesn't much matter if it is a meat sack vs a machine as it is still completely impractical where I live to take a bus. What takes me 15 minutes to drive takes 2 hours by bus.

Plus factor in that I have two huskies and a child that occasionally need transport.

No thanks.

News Comments > Evolve Big Alpha Underway
12. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 16:48 SimplyMonk

Overon wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 16:19:
You change over time in response to your environment, specifically what and how much you eat.

Does what your monster eat actually matter? I was hunting for details about that on the Wiki and all I found mention of was that you choose abilities to unlock as your monster levels up and different creatures were just worth different amounts of monster XP.

Haven't had a chance to play a monster yet. Maybe later tonight.

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
12. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 14:37 SimplyMonk

Not surprised at all that this was going on. At the higher ranked tiers, the game play really breaks down to luck and rock-paper-scissors. I'm not that clear on the exact math behind it, but a friend told me about trying to break into Rank 3 and he would win two games, but lose his third constantly and end up making no progress in the rankings all due to just deck match-up.

Apparently in order to progress to the higher ranks you have to be on a rock-paper-scissors win hot streak.

6. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 14:07 SimplyMonk

English is a silly language.  

4. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:56 SimplyMonk

PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:36:
Watched for a while on Twitch last night. For a game called "evolve", it sure is derivative.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your intended sentiment... but isn't evolution by its very nature derivative?

That being said... "Evolve" is probably a bad name for the game as the monster doesn't evolve in response to stimuli in his environment so much as he just gets more deadly and bigger.

The game should of been called "Embiggen".

2. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 13:21 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:04:
Anyone playing this? Any good? Is it multiplayer only? Or are there bots?

Haven't messed around with it much yet, but to answer a few of your questions... The Alpha is multiplayer only, but there are bots. The bots are mainly used when someone disconnects or a player wants to go AFK.

629 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo