Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 509 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
51. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 20:09 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:30:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:26:
SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:38:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

Sexism will always exist. Welcome to the genders of male and female. Learn to cope with it already.

This is true about pretty much everything Cutter ever bitches about.
In standard Cutter form, anything that impacts him directly is a horrible offense and must be rectified. Anything that either doesn't impact him or benefits him is something people need to shut up and deal with.

I don't use "sociopath" lightly, but the dude only cares about himself and has zero empathy for anyone else. Any political, economic or social issue is important only if Cutter deems it so.

Well, you do have to take into account that we are having discussions on and Internet forum dedicated to video game news. Shouldn't really expect people to bring their A-Game to the debate... But still. "Sexism will always exist"?

Rape, murder, theft, Canada, racism and taxes will always exist too. Doesn't mean that we have to tolerate it and not work towards removing them. Hell. We all eventually die and the sun will explode so why bother with any of this?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
34. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 18:38 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:05:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:50:
Beamer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:48:
<pokes the Cutter-Bear with a stick>
Everyone else is a troll. Always. Forever.
Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:12:
I don't understand sexism so it must not exist. Why do you care about things that don't exist?
<continues to poke the Cutter-Bear in the eye>
And someone please quote me...

I paraphrased a bit.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
7. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 12:46 SimplyMonk

NetHead wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 11:41:
They won't be getting those characters/actors back, certainly not without severe changes due to how much they've aged alone.

Agreed. I know it is just Whedon being Whedon and you take the good with the bad but the movie eliminating who I felt were key characters kinda cemented for me that if the series was ever picked up again, it would never be the same so I stopped hoping for it. Might of been his goal in that, but then again, I'm sure more main characters would of died if Fox hadn't held Whedon's leash a little.

News Comments > Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer
5. Re: Firefly Online Bonus Content; Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 11:11 SimplyMonk

As much of a Firefly fanboy as I am... even I have to admit it isn't really the universe that made the series so great in my mind. A number of anime already mixed space cowboy with Asian influence (Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star) before Whedon created Firefly. What really made the series great, in my opinion, were the actors and characters that made up that specific crew and how their personalities played off one another. Also the series ended before it had a chance to get bad.

That is something you really can't capture in an RPG, unless you take on the role of one of those characters which usually has lackluster results, and especially difficult in an MMO.

I will say though, I had similar thoughts about the Super Hero MMOs where I figured everyone would be running around as their own image of Batman or Superman. Despite the 12,000 oXVegetaXo and Gookuu's I saw running around, City of Heroes was one of my more surprisingly enjoyable experiences in the MMO space and some people really did impress me with their creativity and the game's support for it.

I doubt this will do the same sadly.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
6. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 18:37 SimplyMonk

mag wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:29:
Even optimization (or lack thereof) aside, I have not heard anyone say any positive words about this game.

The combat was enjoyable at higher levels. Outside of that, the game really didn't have anything going for it. As forgettable to me as FF9 was.

Really don't understand the need to make 13-2 and LR... Lightning wasn't even that interesting of a character and the world was "meh". Even after reading all the wiki entries on its back story.

Although I will say I've "heard" that 13-2 gets better, if not wackier, but haven't bothered to try myself despite owning it from a sale.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2014, 18:43.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Slick wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 12:10:
*also, inverted Y for life!

Preach it! First thing I do whenever I play a FPS. I blame early flight sims for this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 13:09 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:30:
A long time ago I used the arrow keys for movement but then I switched over to WASD and haven't looked back. I can't imagine wasting a mouse button on movement but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Edit: my bad I meant WASD

I used to be IJKL because I felt it gave me a wider range of options for key binds for games like Quake MEGATF. Then I grew old and lazy and just started WASD because it meant I didn't have to spend an hour configuring a new game before jumping into it. I also abandoned Right Mouse for Jump when rocket jumping was no longer a thing.

I rarely play shooters nowadays and nothing to the level where I need a wide array of key binds. My wife has a gaming mouse with 20 buttons on it and a gaming keypad which is really nice when you get used to it. She uses it for WoW, but I'm sure if I ever had the time or the interest to get into twitch gaming like I used to that would probably be my setup. Takes a hell of a lot of effort to setup, but has some nice profile options.

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
4. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 14:39 SimplyMonk

Numinar wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 14:24:
More like we have a decent healthcare system, so lots of old people who vote for Ned Flanders who want to tell everyone how to live.

Ah. Well, in 30 years or so that problem should resolve itself. Sucks till then.

News Comments > Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU
1. Re: Uncensored L4D2 Released for AU Sep 15, 2014, 14:21 SimplyMonk

Welcome to 2009, Australia!

You know, for a country filled with, what the internet tells me, is death, poison and vicious little wall-climbing bears... You'd think a little video game violence would be no big thing.

Is it that the average Australian subconscious is already teetering on the edge of insanity and even a small push would drive them into despair? Or is the violence not realistic enough and pales in comparison to the day-to-day in Australia so badly that it is an insult?

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
34. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:53 SimplyMonk

I didn't see the sense in this from MS's point of view... but that was mainly because I forgot that MS makes upwards of $2.5B a month.

With that in perspective, why the hell not buy them? Kids love Minecraft. Kids now love Microsoft. Let the good times roll. Buy that Windows 9 Phone and Tablet, kids! Free Minecraft included!

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
93. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 15:10 SimplyMonk

Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:04:
Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:02:
Bundy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:01:

I did say "game". Not franchise.

Rolleyes

Yes. Eye roll. And it is third. Tetris is #1 (by a landslide), Wii sports is second.

It is second. Wii Sports gets a huge exception because the only reason it was bought is because it was a cheap way to get another Wiimote.

84. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 14:57 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:14:
2) Even better, what if Minecraft replaces Solitaire and comes free with Windows 9? What if it comes free with Xbone? How many more people would jump on if it all became free? Buy a Surface, play Minecraft anywhere. Buy a Windows Phone, play Minecraft anywhere

By the way, Minecraft would replace Minesweeper. Need to stick with the theme.

47. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:29 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:14:
They don't tend to retroactively ruin things, they ruin new things

This.

But also it made me think... Most of the people I know that are super crazy about Minecraft are in the 8-14 age group. Children of friends or younger brothers and sisters. Its not unusual for me to be out and about and see little kids with their iPads in hand playing Minecraft while waiting in a line or eating food. Maybe this is Microsoft's goal? To soften their image to appeal to the next generation.

They've already either converted or enslaved who they can in the 16+ age bracket so now they are looking to work on the next generation as the old grandmas that still use IE3, because they think it is the only way to access their AOL e-mail, die off.

42. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:18 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:49:
2B for what? 1 game? And the stupidity at MS continues unabated.

Yeah. Not seeing how MS really benefits from this deal. Minecraft isn't worth 2B. Scrolls and the other small titles Mojang has brewing aren't worth much and are much more niche and won't ever be as popular as Minecraft.

What? Are you going to do a Minecraft 2 that is Xbox Exclusive? What would that even be?

Sure you have the IP at that point, but a large deal of the fan base would abandon ship if MS was at the helm same way they abandoned PopCap when EA took over. They'd also probably lose a good number of key personnel as they aren't really a pro-MS work culture.

Maybe 5 years down the road that might die down, but I don't think you are going to make back that investment for a long time. Maybe 10 or 15 years from now if VR gets huge and Minecraft VR is what you use to file your taxes. Then they might turn a profit in this.

From Notch's point of view... Fuck everyone. 2B. Cha-Ching.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
33. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 8, 2014, 14:42 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 09:19:
Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:08:
Most sports aren't even sports. They're glorified hobbies. Baseball, golf, et al. are all hobbies IMO.

Err no, they're competitive physical activities which is pretty much the textbook definition of a sport.

The "physical activities" line gets a little blurry when things like Hunting, Archery, Marksmanship and Cue Sports get thrown into the mix though. They are physical, but are more about precision, control and strategy than actual exertion. I don't think it is unreasonable to consider these equivalent to eSports in regards of their physicality.

Until some governing body produces the exact number of calories that need to be burned during play in order for a competitive game to be deemed a sport, I think some eSports fall within the definition. The biggest disqualification I could see to something being a sport is if it involves a largely random component such as Poker or card games like Hearthstone. At that point you put the "skill" part into question as luck becoems a much larger component.

But ESPN doesn't really have a leg to stand on there since they show tons of Poker. Fuck. With Poker in mind, why are we having this debate at all?

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
9. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 17:41 SimplyMonk

I see the appeal for Twitch in this deal over Google. Better to do your own thing than be YouTube's little video game playing brother. Not really sure I see Amazon's gain in this though. I guess it would augment their modestly growing video game development initiative?

Twitch is a growing company though so it could just be that Amazon saw them as being another wing of the company that could stand on its own and their infrastructure can definitely support the traffic.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
16. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 16:24 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 16:05:
Basically, they're scum. Fish is also scum. Shame innocent customers are caught up in a war of entitled morons.

All very true points.

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
11. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 15:57 SimplyMonk

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 15:39:
Stimpack wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 15:16:
What happened to him was really terrible, and no one deserves it. Regardless of your personal opinion of the guy.

http://i.imgur.com/oS54fpp.png

This isn't cool, and the guys who attacked him are far worse than Phil himself.

For those who weren't paying attention, that's from the polytron website.

"Don't fuck with /v/"

And people wonder why game devs rarely talk to the public anymore (wait, there was a .plan update in 2013!?) and why so many devs absolutely loathe the loud minority of their fanbase.

At the same time, Phil's also a fedora wearing jackass, so...

Lot of stuff going around about this being a false flag. Plus, "leader of 4chan.org and Anonymous"? Yeah. That sounds believable.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
26. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 13:42 SimplyMonk

Also keep in mind that Holiday 2015 is also when the next Uncharted is due out. This is most likely win-win for SE as I doubt they want that competition on the PS4 right out the gate. Money might not of been that big considering that.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
24. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 12, 2014, 13:14 SimplyMonk

Can't blame SE for this. Microsoft probably made this worth it. Guaranteed cash is better than estimated cash. Based on the wording and SE not being complete morons, this will be a timed exclusivity and it will be on Steam for dirt cheap in the following months. Not a big loss since I bought it on Steam anyways for next to nothing and will probably do the same with this sequel.  

509 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo