Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 483 (Amateur)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: RE: GaymerX Jul 29, 2014, 13:21 SimplyMonk

El Pit wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:04:
GaymerX? Really? Is there any sexual/racial problem in gaming that needs to be addressed?

Well, although not really the point of GaymerX, have you ever played a game of Call of Duty or Dota/HoN/LoL? People are douche bags.

GaymerX is more about playing with people that share your lifestyle though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek Gets Funds for "Transitional Phase"
9. Re: Crytek Gets Funds for Jul 25, 2014, 19:00 SimplyMonk

DangerDog wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 18:30:
It all went to their head in a bad way.

Yeah. Crysis to me was always just a bench-marking program. Nothing more.

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
7. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 10:37 SimplyMonk

wtf_man wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:55:
I think a much more interesting twist on this would be:

Everyone Invisible
Can see the weapon fire
Stuff in the environment easily disturbed (has movement as you walk by)

So an Aliens vs Predator game where everyone plays Predators?

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
19. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 24, 2014, 15:35 SimplyMonk

Buddy of mine got in the Beta. He brought his Steam Box to work and I played around a little on it. The original controller was going to take far more to get used to than the 30 minutes I put into it. Played a little Half-Life 2 and spent most of the time looking at the ceiling or the floor. Surprisingly I had an easier time using it to control DOTA2. Not great, but easier.  

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
17. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 10:49 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 19:25:
I agree that each individual game is a little "luck of the draw" but... what card game isn't?

I don't agree that there is "limited deck design".

Eh. Its more of a relative thing. Yes, the nature of card games have a general random element to them in the draw, but deck design and overall game structure can do a lot to mitigate that if you know how. Hearthstones design cripples your ability to do that in multiple ways. You can only build a deck with cards for a single class, limit of 30 cards in a deck, limit of 2/1 (Legendary) cards for a single deck, resource management completely removed (except for Druid and reduce cost cards). There are other smaller points, but those are the main ones.

Is this bad? Not really and it makes it vastly easier to jump right into the game and even be competitive. The barrier to entry is much lower in Hearthstone when compared to games like Hex TCG or Magic or Scrolls. But these same design choices, in my opinion, add a lot more variance to a single game and give Blizzard a much tighter control on deck designs and the metagame. Less options for you, easier for Blizzard to balance. Same methodology they've been using in WoW for years now.

I will say, I've never played a CCG that has caused me so much rage when losing a game due to random luck. Not even playing against Blue control decks in Magic and people that play Blue control are horrible people and should feel bad.

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
2. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 22, 2014, 18:39 SimplyMonk

Flatline wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:31:
Is anyone playing Hearthstone? Is it any good?

I've enjoyed the time I spent on it. Roughly maybe 20-30 hours or so since Beta. I haven't invested any money in it though due to the game play itself being too much luck of the draw, no player trading, limited deck design and boosters being a little to costly in my opinion. The metagame sounds a little boring at the high end to me as well. I've never ranked more than 20, but I have two friends in the 5ish range where they say it is more luck in match-up and draw than skill. Grind, grind, grind.

Production value is fantastic though and I'll definitely be trying out Naxx. Just have better places to put my disposable income.

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
28. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 18:23 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 17:02:
I expect this to show up on Indiegogo next, so that they'll be able to keep any people they dupe.

Indiegogo is for chumps. DogeStarter is where the money is at.

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
6. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 11:28 SimplyMonk

Read their "Risk & Challenges" section today.

"There are always challenges and obstacles that you need to deal with when making video games or any media really, but they are easy to overcome."

Really? People are giving them money? The Potato Salad guy deserves their money more than these scam artists. At least he is honest.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 11:35.

News Comments > Areal Videos
14. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 14:05 SimplyMonk

I find this relevant to the current discussion: http://i.imgur.com/GQHeMQ6.gif  

News Comments > Areal Videos
9. Re: Areal Videos Jul 18, 2014, 12:39 SimplyMonk

Yeah. Not going to lie. This is video shows nothing of value really. Even if this isn't the Unity engine or maybe they have their own engine running converted Unity assets... There is nothing show in the teaser to make this look like anything worth contributing too. They most likely would of been better off releasing nothing rather than expose themselves to this scrutiny.

Plus, $50K? Who needs $50K to finish development of a video game? That gets you a good programmer for maybe 6 months. If you need $50K to finish a video game, that better be the cost you need to print the disks and ship it. Maybe some QA. Not finish whatever these teasers are showing.

News Comments > Hearthstone Expansion Next Week
6. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Week Jul 18, 2014, 11:33 SimplyMonk

Alamar wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 11:14:
I like the idea of having some progression based goal, so I'll give it a whirl, but the whole card collection thing is NOT doing it for me.

Without some form of player trading, the Dust -> "Card I Want" ratio is too low for me to even bother considering trying to get a full set of cards. Boosters are too unreliable. I've made a fairly competitive Shaman deck and a set of hero agnostic murloc cards to complete dailies with, but that is it. Everything else pretty much gets dusted to eventually make a legendary or something.

3. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Week Jul 18, 2014, 10:53 SimplyMonk

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 10:46:
Seeing as the first wing is free, I'll definitely check it out.

Yeah. Same. Plus the Heroic mode sounds interesting for a little more of a challenge. Seeing as all there is to do now is grind rankings or play Arena it should be refreshing to have some other objective.

1. Re: Hearthstone Expansion Next Week Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 SimplyMonk

Hearthstone has definitely waned in my interests the last few months. Don't even bother doing the dailies anymore. The simplicity/variance might be great for bringing in new players and having them able to pick it up quickly and be somewhat competitive... but it really doesn't do much for the longevity of the game in my opinion.

Maybe this will spark some new interest? Doubt it though.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing
14. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 18:05 SimplyMonk

Tim Collins wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:00:
DAOC had/has lots of multiboxers

Seeing as the majority of the time when you are running with a squad in DAOC you are on /follow and assist targeting... I would find it hard to tell the difference.

10. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 13:40 SimplyMonk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 13:01:
Multiboxing should be banned, plain and simple. It isn't a reasonable practice.

Reasonable is reasonably a relative term. Old friend of mine used to play EQ with 5 computers running 5 separate accounts pretty easily. Just really a factor of money and desire to do it at that point.

Even if they were to ban it, it is almost completely unenforceable from a technical point of view. At best they could make it harder to do but they'd run into a lot of situations where it would be a gray area and they couldn't hand out bans without catching a lot of flak. Not worth their time and since the player is paying for a additional accounts I doubt they care.

You aren't going to multibox anything that couldn't be done by a swarm of 8 year olds so their really isn't any harm that I can see. Maybe for in-game economies but it is nothing you wouldn't be able to accomplish by making your kid/friend (or funding some third-world child to do ;)) do the same for you.

News Comments > Gearbox Announces "Hero Shooter" Battleborn
7. Re: Gearbox Announces Jul 8, 2014, 13:26 SimplyMonk

If it is FTP, I may give it a shot, but seeing as it is also on console, I doubt it. Who knows though. I've enjoyed playing SMITE from time to time. Not sure how much value a co-op campaign will add to the genre.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 12:15 SimplyMonk

My buddies and I had our biggest challenge with L4D on the higher difficulties or in versus as far as teamwork was concerned. We also learned a little about ourselves like my buddy's wife is never allowed to carry the Molotovs. Ever.

Never played the PD series, but I heard the mechanics were similar just with cops instead of zombies.

Looking forward to Evolve for the teamwork opportunities it will present when not playing as the monster... which I'll probably want to do all the time.

6. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:53 SimplyMonk

Pigeon wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 11:44:
So Blizzard cares because botting ruins the experience of those who are not botting, i.e. people not cheating.

There is a fine line between botting and effective multiboxing. The big distinction being that Blizzard allows multiboxing but not botting. It really comes down to whether or not every action your character performs is a direct response to user input or not.

If you click one button and your character performs a chain of 50 tasks you are botting and Blizzard bans you.

If you click one button and 50 characters you have on 50 different accounts perform 50 various tasks you are multiboxing and Blizzard takes your money and laughs.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 12:00.

5. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Multiboxing Jul 8, 2014, 11:46 SimplyMonk

My wife was multiboxing WoW for about a month when they were doing $5 for an account plus a free month up to Pandaria and then Recruit-A-Friending her other account so that she would get 300% XP. She'd then run a Tank/Healer combo and do pretty well up until Cata where things got pretty crazy. Think she got maybe 3 characters on her main account up to ~75 in a few days. Maybe 10 hours?

ISBoxer is what she was using and it seemed to be engineered pretty well (video). You could run it where all your inputs would translate to both characters, do screen-within-screen so you could see your other account in a small window, split screen or even cuts out certain parts of your main window so that you could see and click buttons or bars on your secondary. There were even some videos showing people doing this with 5+ accounts fairly effectively.

I could pretty easily see this working fairly well for D3 as you'd have both characters all wired up to the same inputs. Click the left-mouse on something and all of your characters fire off their left-mouse spell. Might be hard with different archetypes, but if you had 4 Wizards would be pretty easy plus you'd get 4x the loot. Picking up that loot now would be the annoying part.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
3. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 10:13 SimplyMonk

Illumin wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:21:
This game rocks even with the craptastic graphics!

You get the right mods installed and even that isn't much of a concern.

483 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo