Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simply Monk

Real Name Simply Monk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SimplyMonk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 10734308
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 23, 2010, 19:35
Total Comments 647 (Apprentice)
User ID 55902

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Heroes of the Storm Map Today
6. Re: New Heroes of the Storm Map Today Aug 26, 2015, 11:59 SimplyMonk

descender wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 11:04:
They need to come up with a system to allow people to join mid match to replace leavers/afk, that could only help...

I want to say that early on in the Alpha, this is actually how the game worked as I remember joining games an taking over a hero someone else had played... But at that point you are stuck with their skills choices, no feel at all for the opposing team and no clue what caused your team to fail or the person you are playing to leave.

Even with HotS' low barrier to entry, it is jarring to jump into a game half-way through and still expect to swing a win. Best solution here is to improve Bot AI and the remaining teams ability to interact with the Bot.

It actually a little funny in that I feel Blizzard has actually made the leaver problem better in some regards, but worst in others. 15 minute games mean you are much less likely to get a leaver, but since everything is team based it is really hard for team of 4 to take on a team of 5 since one hero can't dominate a battlefield like a solid carry can in DOTA2. Especially if they have cannibalized the leaver's items.

4v5 in DOTA2 has some options and can potentially pull through for the underdog. 4v5 in HotS, all other things being equal, is almost always a death sentence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch on PTR
1. Re: World of Warcraft Patch on PTR Aug 20, 2015, 13:40 SimplyMonk

Haven't re-subbed to WoW since shortly after the WoW Token came out since I was already burned out on WoD and the token, although interesting, didn't inspire me to grind enough gold to keep my account active.

I was cool with all the requirements to fly except for having to grind reputation to Revered for three Tanaan Jungle factions. Fuck your reputation grind. Not coming back.

Even if they had just awarded flying across the board, I doubt it would of brought me back to be honest.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
11. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 12:00 SimplyMonk

Will probably see Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded released in the next year or so. Sales of DNF have tapered off as of this year and if anything 2K may figure that Reloaded could be a good deal and possibly even cause a spike in DNF sales as well by exposing a younger generation to the classic Duke and then scamming them into getting DNF.  

News Comments > Overwatch Gameplay Video
3. Re: Overwatch Gameplay Video Aug 12, 2015, 12:25 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 10:10:
I've yet to see a FPS with more screen garbage(animations/fog/effects/shit) constantly annoying your view than this one.

Absolutely no buy unless you can turn off 90% of it.

Honestly, it doesn't look too bad to me. I find Call of Duty and Destiny way more offensive in this regard. Overwatch looks to be the bare minimum of information given this is a TF style shooter with a variety of unique characters.

I don't need to see a point value every time I shoot a guy, but getting a simple kill confirm and seeing UI specific to my character's abilities is nice.

News Comments > Humble Store Adds Wish Lists
2. Re: Humble Store Adds Wish Lists Aug 11, 2015, 13:25 SimplyMonk

Axis wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 10:44:
Can still get some titles you want for cheap occasionally, but it's pretty much been unknowns getting the bundle treatments.

Last two bundles I picked up were the Digital CCG one and the Borderlands one. Both pretty solid as I never got all the DLC for Borderlands 2 and the discount off of the Pre-Sequel was sizable. Got everything Borderlands for roughly $30.

News Comments > Funcom Seeking Help
6. Re: Funcom Seeking Help Aug 10, 2015, 18:19 SimplyMonk

Timmeh wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 17:31:
This makes me really sad. I really like funcom. I love Anarchy Online and secret world was pretty cool to.

I hate to see them fold. Someone needs to buy the right and engine etc for Anarchy online and make Anarchy online 2. With similar game mechanics.

The MMO world needs AO and games like it (there currently aren't any).

The fact that Anarchy Online is still around is a testament to Funcom's dedication or possibly madness. I played that game in 2001 and even though I had a great deal of fun and they had some good ideas, it was a complete mess and most of those ideas were half-implemented with the rest alpha level buggy. Age of Conan didn't fare much better for them.

I've actually been meaning to try out The Secret World, but at no time have I ever had enough faith in the company to remain afloat to even risk the $30 for the initial box. Cool to see them continue to prove me wrong, up until maybe now, but nothing Funcom has ever done gave me confidence that they were reliable.

News Comments > Dota 2 Reborn Adding 24-Player Custom Games
1. Re: Dota 2 Reborn Adding 24-Player Custom Games Aug 7, 2015, 12:39 SimplyMonk

Madness.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Legion Announced
4. Re: World of Warcraft: Legion Announced Aug 6, 2015, 14:14 SimplyMonk

I found Garrisons interesting for a time, but in the end they ended up being pretty shallow and I kept just thinking of everything that could of been done with the concept but wasn't. Like most of the expansion, it felt like everything was just half-complete and going to be expanded upon with future patches... but those patches never came and I ended up canceling after two months.

I doubt I will come back for this as there really isn't a big pull to me. None of the new features sound that exciting or innovative, I don't want to play an Elf with everyone else and I can just read the Lore.

News Comments > Battleborn in February; New Characters Revealed
7. Re: Battleborn in February; New Characters Revealed Aug 6, 2015, 13:21 SimplyMonk

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 13:04:
Maybe I'm just getting to old for this shit. I have no emotional response whatsoever to this, Overwatch, Gigantic, or any of the other MOBA-y action games coming out.

I don't know. Maybe it is just that I'm a little MOBA-Hyped at the moment watching the DOTA2 Internationals, but I'm actually slightly optimistic about these games but do feel like they will just be the same as Heroes of the Storm is for me.

Good to kill 5 mins, but nothing all that deep or rewarding.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Announced
13. Re: Halo Wars 2 Announced Aug 5, 2015, 13:38 SimplyMonk

Jerykk wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 02:28:
Surprising that SEGA would allow CA to work with MS on this. Publishers usually don't farm out their internal dev studios to other publishers.

CA has experience making horrible RTS games for controllers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4AGdMu4c4k

I really wanted Stormrise to be good... but alas. What really pissed me off was that SEGA refused to publish the patch to make the game playable.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Global Server Expansion Jul 22, 2015, 13:19 SimplyMonk

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:08:
They fucked up the entire FUCKING IP. And that's from someone who once loved battletech... but not anymore.

This is and remains a travesty.

I don't think you can blame just them though. Mech Assault was the only other Mechwarrior game in recent years and that was pretty much a travesty as well in terms of Battletech. The IP hasn't been treated with respect since the old MicroProse days.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Joins EA
8. Re: Jade Raymond Joins EA Jul 13, 2015, 14:10 SimplyMonk

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 12:39:
Try RTFA...

Yeah. That's what I get for just going off of Blue's synopsis.

*deflects blame*

News Comments > Jade Raymond Joins EA
2. Re: Jade Raymond Joins EA Jul 13, 2015, 12:22 SimplyMonk

new IP
Mass Effect: Andromeda

Didn't realize that the new Mass Effect was so far removed from the original Trilogy that it had become a new IP.

Neat.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Bans
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Bans Jul 9, 2015, 10:39 SimplyMonk

My first thought about this was "Why bother?"

In other MOBAs with solid laning/gank phases I could see this being advantageous, but in HotS? I admit it could provide some advantage, but in no way worth the risk of being caught and banned.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details
19. Re: Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details Jun 17, 2015, 11:49 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 09:12:
I swear going into retirement I'm going to have a list of like 500 games to play.

"What? I'm a grandfather now? When did you get pregnant? You are married?

"War... War never changes..."

"Yeah... That's great, Honey. I'm happy for you."

*keyboard and mouse clicking*

"See the kid? Uhhh... Well... I'm kinda busy. The Waste isn't going to save itself... Then there are these dragons I have to slay.. or save. I'm not really sure, but I think it involves having my dwarves build a working water pulley system. Sorry, Hun! I got to go!"

*ghouls screams and gunfire*

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced
7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 16:54 SimplyMonk

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced
6. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 16:54 SimplyMonk

So far away and long past the events that your previous choices in the universe won't have mattered or be mentioned. We aren't getting trapped like that again.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 2, 2015, 18:55 SimplyMonk

Cross promotion kicking into high gear. Smart move and not something a lot of other game companies can do well.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2015, 13:26 SimplyMonk

The Half Elf wrote on May 4, 2015, 13:21:
Should I tell him this time?

Naw. Its funnier this way. It is why I'm also sad that Facebook will now start labeling satire articles posted to the News feed.

News Comments > Hatred in June
26. Re: Hatred in June Apr 29, 2015, 18:01 SimplyMonk

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:00:
Not all that much different from that leading video game.

You know... When I watched the first trailer of Hatred a couple of months ago, I cringed and felt sick to my stomach a few times.

Then I watched all the MKX Fatalities back-to-back on YouTube. Now Hatred doesn't bother me so much purely in terms of gore and execution.

Yay! Desensitized!

647 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo