Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 679 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games
6. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 bhcompy

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:15:
Wargaming has done what? League of Legends and World of tanks? Where are they getting all these resources to buy studios left and right? Considering they just acquired Day 1 Studios as well. Is League really that successful?

Wargaming is responsible for World of Tanks, but not League of Legends.

That said, it looks like they may be looking at a MOBA or a Guild Wars type game with these acquisitions.

As far as resources, well done free to play games are cash cows right now, apparently. LoL is the most played game worldwide and World of Tanks does fairly well. The key to both is their international appeal. LoL is huge in southeast/east Asia and WoT is huge in Europe/Russia.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 15:29 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah Vagrant Story was pretty solid and just needed more polish. I'd rather they put some resources into their offshoot works

On top of Vagrant Story, give me Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Bushido Blade, please.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 5, 2013, 14:38 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 09:21:
Square Enix struggling to make money from its console games.

Chrono Trigger, get on it.

Vagrant Story, get on it.

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
25. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 12:20 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 12:01:
Creston wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 11:31:
Publishers add nothing to the gaming industry.

Creston

Except for, you know, the capital required to make a game like GTA, Saints Row, etc.

Depends. These days, many formerly independent dev houses are now second party/subsidiary developers for publishers(such as the aforementioned Volition and DMA[now Rockstar North]). While they benefit from the capital, there is a long history of successful independent developers that self-financed or otherwise funded through publishing deals and such while still retaining their independence(Valve under Sierra is an obvious example).

News Comments > THQ Postmortem
15. Re: THQ Postmortem Feb 1, 2013, 00:35 bhcompy

bad, late, or otherwise inferior titles like Homefront,

Homefront wasn't bad or inferior. Maybe a little late, but otherwise a pretty good game. Problem is that every publisher wants home runs, not good games. If it ain't selling like Call of Duty, might as well not make it I guess

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
26. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 22:50 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 20:42:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:32:
Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.
The Arkham games were never really part of the DCAU, even if they did reuse the VAs. Certain aspects of the game just don't align, as it was never meant to.

I understand from an official continuity perspective(simply because Joker dying just doesn't fit any canon), but if you pull in all the principle VAs you're basically tying it to that, and Dini is involved as well, which just adds to it.

I guess it's better to say that if Kevin Conroy is there, so must his foil

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
23. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 18:32 bhcompy

Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 14:27 bhcompy

RIP Huell Howser, too.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Design Documents
21. Re: Deus Ex Design Documents Jan 7, 2013, 15:25 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 01:37:
Also, the fixation on story is never a good thing. Conviction did that and we ended up with a much more linear and scripted game than before. Gameplay should dictate story, not vice versa.

It's a Clancy game. They've been awful since Red Storm was bought out.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
28. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 16:58 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 13:32:
bhcompy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 12:58:
Maybe it's just you. I still pull out Sim City 2000 every once in a while to have some fun, or because I want to show my son a game that's better than Minecraft.

And, of course, the problem isn't multiplayer, the problem is that you have to play on their servers for singleplayer.

That is good, I'm not against the people that really would do this in any way at all. But I also think it's fair to say the majority of buyers rarely go back to something old and if they do it's a couple games. So if Sim City is that for you, then the best news is and as I have said, they have been upfront with where they are going with the game to us. If always online, multiplayer being a bad thing, server running for 10, 20, 50 years is very important for you, then you do have a choice to make.

I will stand by that many of those things are small %'s of players, most likely even wee percentages. The always online will affect everyone but I suggest that the small amount of ISP/Server downtime, one can be stable in their own feelings to deal with that and find something else to do, other than rage. As all the biggest games are relying on online working most of the time. COD MP, WoW... as I said the biggest games.

Blue's commentators in very generalist terms come off several times as paranoid, limited in scope (very single player centric base I'm finding) and phobic. That said, there is still good stuff in those comments and there are still good opinions outside of those type responses. Meaning, I still like to chat, but there are some really fearful walls that shot up that are a little over the top, imo. "Slippery Slope" mentalities if you will.

It's not really a slippery slope argument because the slope has already been slid down. Take their sun-setting of Simpsons Tapped Out for older iPhones. That is effectively a single player free to play game with a pay component, but it's all hosted by EA. They remove the server, the single player game that you may have put money in to is no longer accessible for play. You're not paying for software, you're paying for a temporary license to access the software. SC5 will be a full price game, but you aren't getting the same level of service that you did for the same standard market price as earlier offerings, instead you're getting a temporary license.

Do you have any doubt that they will sunset the SC5 servers when the user threshold drops too low to effectively monetize the base through downloadable content?

With Steam, we have a promise from Valve that if Steam ever sunsets you still own your game and Steam will effectively release it to you while disabling its own security. There is no such promise from EA regarding games like SC5 that are completely remotely hosted(and I have no idea if there is such a promise for Origin).

As the industry has consolidated in to a handful of publicly owned companies, the industry has regressed in buyer's rights. This is factual. There is no reason to believe that those "rights" won't continue to be eroded, particularly as companies like Sony buy companies like Gaikai. Realistically, all software has been moving in this direction for years, not just videogames. It's cheaper(less money spent on publicly available tools, like server tools, map tools, etc) and it's a monetization machine(EA charges for a wide variety of things because of this, such as a fee for purchasing a used game and wanting to play it online). In the public company world, those are the only two things that matter.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
9. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 12:58 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:53:

Sims 2 was released in 2005, 7 years ago. Do you realize a lot of games that don't retire servers, simply have their servers stop working over time because of things like "out of business" etc?

I for one would not be playing SC5 in 7 years if I were to buy it any time soon.

I am one not to freak out over news like this. There are so many other things in your life that have this shelf life that you miss or let slide, but a gaming server... oh this is critical stuff here folks.

The closer truth is there are lot of reasons why you won't be buying SC5. This is just another one, so now which one exactly is the one that breaks the camels back? My main reason not buying will be the one where the game isn't any good, no matter drm, always online or retiring of servers. But if this game is amazing, I can tell you those last 3 reasons will not stop me. Most games don't last me a month and I'm not even talking bad games, who's kidding who here?

We've all had our reasons 100 fold on why not to support EA, that comes prior to the turn of the millennium.

Maybe it's just you. I still pull out Sim City 2000 every once in a while to have some fun, or because I want to show my son a game that's better than Minecraft.

And, of course, the problem isn't multiplayer, the problem is that you have to play on their servers for singleplayer.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2012, 19:02 bhcompy

Leper wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 17:34:
It was pretty bad and, for once, it didn't seem like Colin's fault. The story and directing were just awful.

When has it ever been Colin's fault? All the bad movies he's been in just seem like bad movies overall. Daredevil comes to mind. He was entertaining in Fright Night and Horrible Bosses and I hear Seven Psychopaths was good.

I haven't seen this remake, but I plan to rent it.

He's never likable. The one movie where I wasn't rooting against him was The Recruit, which was actually kind of decent.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 17, 2012, 18:53 bhcompy

Dell does well in the enterprise space, just like Microsoft. They are smart, unlike Blackberry, in that they are dropping out of that market when their name brings no built in appeal to it and their offerings aren't consumercentric.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
45. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 09:41 bhcompy

x  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 23:06 bhcompy

killer_roach wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:17:
Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 20:14:
Wow, time can really play tricks on the memory. I never would have guessed off the top of my head that there has been 6 years between each generation.

The PS1 only came out in Japan in 1994 - it was released in the US in 1995 (after the SNES was released in 1990 and 1991 in those regions), and the PS3 was often considered to be released a year late in the current generation, as the Wii and Xbox 360 both came out in 2005.

And the PS3 clearly outclasses the Wii and generally outpaces the 360 in performance. Late for the generation, but not suffering for it hardware wise.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 20:00 bhcompy

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:02:
Console gaming isn't dying...it's just 3 years past due date on current hardware. They wanted to stretch this generation for the sake of $$ and this is what you get. No shit sales are down people don't want to be bothered with 10 year old technology.

3 years past due? Not yet. The last few iterations have been just as long.

PSX - 1994
PS2 - 2000
PS3 - 2006

Some of the console defining games for PS2 and PSX were released at or after the release date of the next console. Currently on track for a 2014 release for PS4/Xbox720, so you're looking at 2 years longer than the average cycle, not already 3 years past due.

News Comments > MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded
16. Re: MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded Nov 9, 2012, 13:40 bhcompy

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 12:07:
Tell your story to a game company and you get half pay for 2 months.
Tell your storyProvide classified documents to Wikileaks and go to prison.

Fixed.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Beta Client
12. Re: Steam for Linux Beta Client Nov 6, 2012, 19:37 bhcompy

Unfortunately Ubuntu has been going downhill, but I guess it's a start  

News Comments > Hawken's 10M Player Target
21. Re: sad really... Nov 5, 2012, 17:07 bhcompy

Shataan wrote on Nov 5, 2012, 10:36:
"Yeah, the whole mecha thing is cool, the graphics are decent... But playing it was like "just deathmatch? come on!"

The Mech visuals are very cool. Sweet incockpit view. But you play it, and all of a sudden being in a Mech is a moot point. Totally unrealistic arcade sidestrafe movements. The list goes on.

If they wanted to make a Quaker, why put everyone in a Mech????? Aaaah well, I am sure someone will dig that kinda thing.

Because you think the only game influences are MechWarrior and UltraBots. Realistically, the influences are Virtua-On and Armored Core.

News Comments > Blizzard Books Seminar Mentions WoW Patch Plans
2. Re: Blizzard Books Seminar Mentions WoW Patch Plans Oct 15, 2012, 02:16 bhcompy

I wouldn't say excellent, but pretty good at making a good story out of someone else's work, far better than fanfic quality. I guess they're excellent for licensed content.  

679 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo