Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 709 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Returns Fire at Activision
6. Re: EA Returns Fire at Activision Sep 27, 2010, 18:21 bhcompy

Granted EA is just deflecting considering their well publicized issues with overtime pay, Maxis, Mythic, Westwood, etc.

On another note, this headline reminded me that I need to download Return Fire, cuz that game was bitchin

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month
13. Re: The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month Sep 27, 2010, 17:49 bhcompy

frag.machine wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:33:
ASeven wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:15:
PHJF wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:05:
That's because scavenge isn't viable as a long-term mode of play. L4D2 was a fun little distraction on and off for a couple months but my heart lies with TF2.

Engineer is credit to team!

Nom nom nom nom

MAGGOTS!

You're a loose cannon sandvich, but a damn good cop!

/sorry, heavy gets the best quotes

News Comments > Kotick on Studio Autonomy
22. Re: Kotick on Studio Autonomy Sep 27, 2010, 17:47 bhcompy

Is Valve no longer independent? They're self-contained and only have distribution agreements for physical media  

News Comments > Duke 3D Mod
6. Re: Duke 3D Mod Sep 27, 2010, 12:16 bhcompy

How's about a Shogo remake  

News Comments > PC Medal of Honor MP Beta Next Month
30. Re: PC Medal of Honor MP Beta Next Month Sep 24, 2010, 19:05 bhcompy

everyone wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 17:54:
Will this game support Glide? I don't want to have to mess with any MiniGL drivers for a change.

I hear that Tribes will look spiffy in Glide

25. Re: PC Medal of Honor MP Beta Next Month Sep 24, 2010, 16:32 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 15:31:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 15:27:
What was that one CPU not AMD or Intel that showed up around 1996? I think they might have staying power.
Cyrix aka VIA ?

Cyrix 333 with a SLI DiamondMM Voodoo2 setup

15. Re: PC Medal of Honor MP Beta Next Month Sep 24, 2010, 14:59 bhcompy

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 14:14:
we are responding to this post:
"Dedicated server suppot will be nice, though I'm not sure how this is similar to MechWarrior 2 "

Obviously i mean Modern Warfare 2.. but that guy thought I meant Mech Warrior 2.. so we went into the wayback machine.

Hold on, I need to set my MTU setting so I can get the best ping. US Robotics for life!

I know what you meant, but MW2 is taken by a superior game. Thus, it was a minor ribbing

4. Re: PC Medal of Honor MP Beta Next Month Sep 24, 2010, 13:06 bhcompy

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 12:24:
Is anyone excited about this title at all? I can't find a reason to be interested in this game. It looks like MW2/CoD/BC 2 .. I see nothing new in this game.. more of the same old.

Dedicated server suppot will be nice, though I'm not sure how this is similar to MechWarrior 2

News Comments > Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies
16. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 18:06 bhcompy

zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 17:50:
wonder how long til kotick retracts his comments.

The same day WoW goes F2P

News Comments > Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies
4. Re: Tamte Calls Out Kotick on Indies Sep 23, 2010, 13:28 bhcompy

nin wrote on Sep 23, 2010, 13:17:
As an independent developer, Atomic can't spend its way to big sales, like Activision can.

But they know a marketing opportunity when they see one...

Free press is the best press. Even John Romero would agree

News Comments > EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November
3. Re: EVE Online Incursion Expansion in November Sep 21, 2010, 14:40 bhcompy

Carebear content is necessary to fund PvP, and any opportunity for more bounties and more salvage is always a good thing. Loyalty rewards are useful as well for particularly expensive blueprints and implants, so I'm interested in seeing what NPC corps will offer the missions involved here.  

News Comments > Kotick on Bungie & Indies
13. Re: Kotick on Bungie & Indies Sep 20, 2010, 16:51 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Sep 20, 2010, 15:45:

Publishers will still be needed for a good, long while.
They aren't like record companies, which added no real value other than distribution and got clobbered.

Making a game takes bigtime serious money, and as a consumer investing in a game is costly and time-consuming. Neither of these are true for music, so music survives well without the recording companies.
But with games? You still need millions of capital to make it, and you need marketing to convince others to even take the time to download it (look at how many cool UDK demos are out there being ignored because too few want to bother downloading a 400MB-1GB on something they know nothing about.)

Until game design gets cheap and easy, which may be a very long time away, we'll need publishers to finance them and market them. You never know what'll happen, though. Albums used to take millions to record, who thought it'd be done by kids in their garage with a laptop? Movies used to take millions to film. It's still pretty true, but budgets are actually falling now with digital being much quicker and cheaper. And who would have thought a few years back that the two most powerful game engines (CryEngine 3 and UE3) would be available free?

With digital distribution on PCs being the mainstream and at least viable on consoles, publishers aren't that necessary because venture capital can fill that gap(if necessary).

The only problem is when consumers require so called "triple A" titles. They're the Transformers of videogames, no innovation, just plenty of production value. That said, you can definitely make money without spending a billion on one title, just look at games like Mount and Blade, Braid, and Penumbra.

The problem is that too many developers try to remake the wheel rather than licensing existing technology(ex: building a new engine when Unreal is available). Development costs are much higher when you're building everything from scratch. Gone are the days when 8 out of 10 games on the market use Quake or Unreal derived engines, when solid games came out at a much faster pace and didn't break the bank to make or purchase. Games don't take "bigtime serious money" to make unless developers decide to go that route.

News Comments > F2P Battlefield Assault?
5. Re: F2P Battlefield Assault? Sep 20, 2010, 14:12 bhcompy

So we'll have more Futureweapons ads like in 2142? This time we don't have to pay for it?  

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
65. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 20:24 bhcompy

Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 20:12:
I dunno how successful such an idea would be.

Most of the people I know (even diehard FF7 fans) skipped Advent Children. The ones who didn't wished they had.

And I'll agree that Blizzard games have a plot about as deep as a tuna can.

you know different FF fans than I do then

60. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 17, 2010, 13:25 bhcompy

Bhruic wrote on Sep 17, 2010, 11:39:

I assume he is isnt talking about the EA store since...ern....well he is the president of Activision....

Doh!

I, uh, meant Activision...! Do they even have an online store?

Yea, Battle.net and worldofwarcraft.com Not too many credit card numbers to be found there, nope, not at all.

4. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 16, 2010, 20:21 bhcompy

Meanwhile, 1200 miles away in Bellevue, Washinton, Valve releases free major expansions/updates regularly for multiple games along with extra story content like the comic series released this week for Left4Dead.

Honestly, I'd rather support EA than Activision at this point, and that's saying something.

News Comments > ABP Closing
44. Re: ABP Closing Sep 16, 2010, 17:15 bhcompy

They should have just remade the old APB arcade game from the late 80s/early 90s.  

News Comments > Steam Serving AMD/ATI Drivers
14. Re: Steam Serving AMD/ATI Drivers Sep 15, 2010, 19:02 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Sep 15, 2010, 16:55:
Testing it out right now with the 10.9's.

Edit: works as advertised, just installs the driver and CCC. I wish the whole thing was totally in the background though, it popped up on screen and stole focus. You can see the whole regular driver setup running but you can't change any of the options at that point so it seems pointless to even have it on screen.

Not sure if it's a good idea on the whole video update thing. Lots of issues with bleeding edge drivers in games sometimes, I can just imagine the 'why is my game blackscreening when it worked yesterday' posts.

Those issues are far outweighed by the sheer amount of people who have no clue how to do simple things like update their drivers. The sorts of compatibility issues you end up with there are far more problematic and lead to all sorts of "wtf new game I bought wont run! omggg company sux" frustrated consumerisms. Having videocard drivers auto-updated is a great idea but unfortunately can lead to things like the Nvidia fan profile debacle becoming even more serious. Plus the uninformed consumers have to opt-in otherwise the whole thing doesn't work. So it's a good idea but will remain a niche enthusiast thing unfortunately.

Some of us still have AGP cards, though, and the newest ATI AGP cards(such as my 4650) are not supported by the regular drivers.

News Comments > CitiesXL 2011 Website & Screenshots
7. Re: CitiesXL 2011 Website & Screenshots Sep 10, 2010, 15:19 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2010, 11:02:

Heck, and why does no one make a futuristic or fantasy city builder? Why always these post-modern pseudo realistic things..

Isn't that kind of what Patrician 4 is?

News Comments > PC Battlefield 1943 (Not) Released [Updated]
23. Re: PC Battlefield 1943 (Not) Released [Updated] Sep 9, 2010, 13:57 bhcompy

Elessar wrote on Sep 9, 2010, 10:07:
Update: Unfortunately, this all seems to be some sort of mix-up. Here's a tweet from EA explaining: "BF 1943 PC is not available. This is an error on EA store. We are working to sort it out."
Over the last few months I've truly come to realize what a clusterfuck DICE is. They have to patch the crap out of their games to make them playable, essentially finishing them post release. They've mis-informed customers like with this 1943 slip up. And on top of all that, take on multiple major projects that spreads them even thinner. They can't finish one damn project let alone 4 or 5. Sure, they eventually make entertaining games, but the lack of organization and polish that company has is astounding.

EA isn't known for giving wholly owned subsidiaries much autonomy, so I'd be less inclined to point to DICE than EA's meddling

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo