Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor Oct 12, 2010, 13:39 bhcompy

ASeven wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:35:
Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:20:
This is one of those games where single and multi are done by separate teams using separate engines. I never fully trust that.

Plus, DICE. I know many here love DICE. I've still hated everything they've done other than the original Battlefield. God I hate not being in a vehicle in their engines.

You and me, I've hated everything DICE has done for the PC since BF2. And the game, both SP and MP, is getting really average reviews all across the board, nobody seems to find a redeeming factor in yet another derivative game.

Yep, DICE needs to stick with what they do best. Vehicular combat. BFV was crap, BF2142 was too infantry heavy, and BFBC2 just doesn't have enough vehicles. Where the hell is the modern version of Aberdeen? BF2 had a good blend of vehicles and infantry, but the Desert Combat mod was mostly better than what BF2 was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced
6. Re: EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced Oct 12, 2010, 13:34 bhcompy

briktal wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 13:10:
Zyrxil wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 12:56:
Have you played EVE? There are no classes or anything, so there's really no rerolling.

Especially since they standardized character stats so that you couldn't give your character terrible stats that slowed down most skill training.

Well, you can neural remap

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
24. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 17:09 bhcompy

kornkob wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:47:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:31:
,,,and the people being laid off at most of these companies are developing for PCs primarily...

You are wrong. Raven has had a strong console development focus for at least 7 years.

Love,
Guy Who Got Laid Off From Raven Last Time Round

And who's left on the team? Not the PC developers I bet(DLC != PC). Developers are winnowing out the old school PC developers and migrating the closed console approach to PC games(or just porting, badly at times, with no support).

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
16. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 16:31 bhcompy

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:23:
tis the season for layoffs to re-align company focuses. Is it end of the business year or something?

That was 6/30. Realistically, it's probably because PC development is getting slowly shuttered and the people being laid off at most of these companies are developing for PCs primarily. Those oldschool developers have the wrong mindset to work at bigname publishers. Dev console is a bad thing, SDK's are bad, mapping programs are bad, community maps are bad, lack of episodic content is bad, etc

News Comments > 12 Million WoW Subscribers
49. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 18:46 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 15:53:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:32:
SlyBri wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:56:
WOW is probably the only MMO that's actually worth 15 dollars a month.

I think you mean EVE

EVE is for people who enjoy spreadsheets and space.

And WoW is for people who enjoy spreadsheets and Dragonlance

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases
14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 14:03 bhcompy

Brubold wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:43:
I like TF2 but I never play a Medic which was my favorite class in TFC. I loved to conc jump to the enemy snipers and infect them all.

With TF2 it's almost exclusively Spy for me now.

Enjoy both games but TF2 is much better balanced. The only reason I don't play it more often is that it's a chore to get on and find a server that actually has players when it says it has players. Also the servers half full of bots are annoying.

I get that a lot with DOD:S. TF2 I just added about 5 good servers to my faves and it's cycle between them. No bots, good players, good times

27. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 13:32 bhcompy

SlyBri wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:56:
WOW is probably the only MMO that's actually worth 15 dollars a month.

I think you mean EVE

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases
12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 12:33 bhcompy

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 05:00:
Grenade spam in TF was ridiculous. TF2 is such a better game. The classes in TF2 actually have some useful distinctions and on most maps the good players can do better than just "spray and pray".

The old TF was just a meat grinder. It was a fun meat grinder, but I'm glad the gameplay evolved.

Grenades were generally ineffectual. They were mostly annoyances, which is what they were supposed to be. Yes, you could die to MIRV and regular nade spam, but they were easy enough to avoid. Conc, spy gas, caltrops, napalm, emp, and nail nades all were useful and fun and none of them were major gamechangers. Detpacks were obvious and medic disease took off 1hp at a time. And there were no crits or ubers.

And don't talk about useful distinctions, there wasn't one class in TF that wasn't usefully distinguished. Spray and pray wasn't part of the game(other than demoman), which it is now with all of the crits, minicrits, headshots, etc. It took a lot of balls to go on offense as an engie in TF, but your EMP made it worth it. Now, you carry your gun with you and setup shop wherever you want in 10 seconds. Kind of obnoxious.

And for the record, while Hunted was fun, Border1 is the best non-standard TF map/mod of all time.

18. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 11:44 bhcompy

Jonny wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:36:
I've tried a lot of MMOs, and despite the complaining people do about it WoW is the only one that *feels* right. The art style is perfectly suited to the constraints of the genre, lower details means little on cartoon graphics, the gameplay is polished and smooth, plenty of diversions to keep you entertained. I've levelled up to 80 in fits and starts over the last two years and apart from EVE it's the only MMO I've ever been back to.

WoW's dominance isn't a fluke, it genuinely is the best all rounder out there, notwithstanding personal taste of course.

It's the Apple iProduct of MMO's. It's well polished, well funded, but ultimately not terribly deep or complex.

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
18. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 14:50 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 13:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 6, 2010, 12:45:

Actually I was referring to this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX6XMIldkRU

Americans typically aren't taught history outside of their own country, they probably won't know who that is

Lovely bit of trolling, but no. America's Hat doesn't play very much into the history books past 1812 as far as political history with the US because there is not much to speak about outside of participation in Overlord. Do you know who the last Prime Minister of Senegal is? Didn't think so.

News Comments > On Game Prices & Inflation
12. Re: On Game Prices & Inflation Oct 6, 2010, 12:42 bhcompy

Standard games have a fixed price. If volume goes up, then cost per unit goes down. Volume IS up, so game price inflation is still happening, just under the hood.  

News Comments > MoH Beta Opens, Connection Issues
7. Re: MoH Beta Opens, Connection Issues Oct 4, 2010, 15:23 bhcompy

DangerDog wrote on Oct 4, 2010, 15:01:
Bring on Battlefield 3, but I fear it's going to be small maps tailor made for consoles and their limited capabilities.

BF2 really was the last great game of the series, and if DICE is nice to us they'll make the maps like they did for that and have multiple versions of each map based on player load. I haven't looked too hard since getting BFBC2 the other day, but it looks like the player limit is 32 instead of 64 life BF2. Depressing. Too much infantry, not enough vehicles, and definitely not enough aircraft.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead/L4D2 The Sacrifice Trailer
7. Re: Left 4 Dead/L4D2 The Sacrifice Trailer Oct 1, 2010, 12:15 bhcompy

Overon wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 06:50:
So in terms of the sacrifice campaign for L4D and L4D2, they are identical?

You do not get the L4D2 weapons and special infected in L4D1

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment MMOG Reenlistment
15. Re: Mythic Entertainment MMOG Reenlistment Oct 1, 2010, 12:14 bhcompy

Esoteric wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 03:46:
To be honest, WAR isn't half bad nowadays. It's the best current option for PvP/RvR, period. Unfortunately, this is a niche in itself, and the rough launch and the continued perception after that has hurt it a lot.

It still has problems of course, but T1-T3 is a blast to play, and T4 can still be fun at times. My GF and I just started playing again (after playing from launch to about 9 months), and we're having fun.

This is a RvR game. You will die a lot by other real people. (this is why PvP/RvR focused games will always be niche)

It has inherited far too much from New Frontiers in DAoC and WoW rather than innovating like the original DAoC was. Darkness Falls is the best dungeon ever created, and they've never approached that level of quality since.

/RIP Emain Macha
//EVE is now where it's at for PVP of any type

News Comments > TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch
16. Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:15 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:58:
other than some weird-ass giftcard mechanic, why on earth would anyone ever put money into their Steam wallet?

It's so they can sell giftcards and do microtransactions, like Sony and MS do. There's no other reason. They also earn interest on your money, while you don't.

News Comments > TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch
15. Re: TF2 In-Game Store and Steam Wallet Launch Sep 30, 2010, 17:12 bhcompy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 30, 2010, 16:18:
Considering the original TF team who originally made QWTF, this is even more of a disgrace than what they've already done with TF2.

I'm sure they will make a lot of money, but seriously, it's amazing how much people can debase and sell out over the space of 15 years or so.

A micro transaction item store in what was originally planned to be a competitive team based FPS? Really? What a shame. They claim the items won't provide any competitive advantage, but that's not even really the point of the game anymore, it seems.

This probably sounds fairly doom and gloom, but back in the day, Quakeworld Team Fortress was basically the greatest FPS the world had ever seen. Flash forward to today, Team Fortress 2 = clownshoes.

It wasn't originally QWTF, it was just TF, because we played it in NetQuake, too.

/get off my lawn

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Haunted House
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Haunted House Sep 29, 2010, 19:42 bhcompy

Halo wrote on Sep 29, 2010, 19:32:
I'm still not buying this whole 64 bit thing. Literally though I can't afford to upgrade.

I finally saved up to upgrade(500$ for a full rig sans OS similar in spec to Tom's Hardware 500$ budget rig but with a bit more scalability) and I've been very happy with it. Biggest benefit is the extra ram, but everything else seems to run really well as well.

News Comments > Kotick on Studio Autonomy
25. Re: Kotick on Studio Autonomy Sep 27, 2010, 19:46 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 18:23:
I still don't consider them an "indie" in the sense of how I usually think of the term when I see it.

And I think that is unfair. Just because they're wildly successful doesn't make them any less "indie". They march to their own drum, they do not have public shareholders, they encourage creativity, and they give you a lot more than a typical publisher backed gaming company. And Valve was backed by Sierra when Gearbox was hired to create expansion packs and console ports.

I know they're not the same as Paradox, Croteam, etc as far as smaller market developers without ties to major publishers, but they're still doing everything every other indie developer does, just with more of their own money to bankroll it.

News Comments > The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month
15. Re: The Sacrifice for L4D/L4D2 Next Month Sep 27, 2010, 18:23 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 18:19:
PHJF wrote on Sep 27, 2010, 17:05:
That's because scavenge isn't viable as a long-term mode of play. L4D2 was a fun little distraction on and off for a couple months but my heart lies with TF2.

Engineer is credit to team!
I much prefer it over any other l4d2 game mode. Campaigns are boring to me. Versus is 2 hours, and scavenge is 90% of the fun of vs squeezed into 15 mins.

So I disagree. I think the reason its harder to find scavenge players is because L4D2 players as a whole are dropping out. Its almost 1/3rd less than TF2 right now. Whats funny is that MW2 has now dropped down below the all time kings, counter strike games.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The sad thing is that CS used to be better. I still play and like CS, but I miss me some beta 5.2 something fierce. There aren't any games that really take it's place, as Call of Duty is too console-esque, Battlefield is a completely different genre, and Urban Terror picked the wrong engine.

I do think that Action Quake 2 would be great and well received remade on an engine simulating the same physics(not the crappy AHL version).

News Comments > EA Returns Fire at Activision
6. Re: EA Returns Fire at Activision Sep 27, 2010, 18:21 bhcompy

Granted EA is just deflecting considering their well publicized issues with overtime pay, Maxis, Mythic, Westwood, etc.

On another note, this headline reminded me that I need to download Return Fire, cuz that game was bitchin

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo