Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes Universe Testing Signups
23. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 17:49 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 17:40:
Overon wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 16:09:
and the skill system is much more similar to a game like EVE.
I'm not familiar with the EVE skill system. Someone describe it.

I haven't played EVE in awhile but from what I remember you pick a skill to train and then it takes several days to learn it regardless of whether or not you're logged in. I'm not sure if that's what they mean. Perhaps they simply mean over time through use skill improvements unlock.

?

EVE has no levels, only individual skills have levels. You learn them by selecting to train that skill(only 1 skill at a time) and different skills take different amounts of time based on how complex or basic they are.

For instance(translated in to real life): basic mathematics would have a 1x time multiplier while calculus would have a 5x time multiplier(it takes you 5 times as long). Each level of skill(5 skill levels per skill) has a universal base number and the multiplier is used to increase that. 5minutes for a 1x skill at level 1 becomes 25minutes for a 5x skill at level 1.

Some skills have prerequisites: you cannot be a nuclear submarine technician without both mechanical and nuclear engineering experience.

How they translate that in to Tribes, who knows, but I'd much rather a system with nothing like that and just sell the damn game. The PlanetSide model only works if you make it a good game, and all attempts I've seen at this have failed because they hire MMO developers to make an FPS game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 16:05 bhcompy

Flatline wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 15:51:
kxmode wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 14:34:
Tribes introduced me to the concept of tower defense before I even knew it was called that. Imagine this: I spawn. I run over the kiosk. I immediately picked heavy armor and ammo station. I go up to the base's roof and find a nice spot. I place my ammo station out of sight, generally inside the base's corridor (easy to get to, but hard to destroy). I then switch over to mortar shells and go ape crazy lobbing them all over the place. In a typical match I was able to kill an average of 15 enemy players using this.

I got really good at arcing mortars over to snipers. Sniper vs Mortar... mortar wins every time!

I played with a custom reticule that had angle/range gradients on it to make your mortaring even more accurate and lethal. The skill came from having to adjust based on how far above/below you the target was. Good times.

I was usually a sniper/skirmisher myself. I loved it in Tribes 1 where I could pretty much always whip out a targeting laser, lase a target for about 10 seconds, and I'd see at least two or three mortars from people I didn't even know where in the area come lobbing at my target. It was great.

pfft. That's like a nade timer in TF

18. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 15:49 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 15:37:
Hmm, I must be thinking of tribes 2, at some point you could fly this little transport around with guys on it and that it what I remember about tribes at this point. That video clip is much different than the last time I remember playing tribes.

Tribes 1 had two such transports IIRC. A small APC(2 pass) and a large APC(4 pass)

14. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 14:47 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 28, 2010, 14:34:

I got really good at arcing mortars over to snipers. Sniper vs Mortar... mortar wins every time!

And much shazbotting was to be had

4. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 12:19 bhcompy

Do we have to call it PvP?  

News Comments > Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark
38. Re: Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark Oct 26, 2010, 11:47 bhcompy

Yifes wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 23:58:

The fact is that SC2 has the most quality, content, and replayability of any PC game released since the Orange Box.

If that's true then PC gaming truly has fallen very far from its perch

News Comments > TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced
56. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 26, 2010, 11:44 bhcompy

Oh, I played with skiing, but on large maps like Scarabrae, you're faster in the APC. Broadside, sure. But there was no APC in Broadside anyways. Heavies took forever to get going unless you equipped a spinfusor to give yourself a boost, and I hated wasting a spot for a spinfusor on a heavy  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
22. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 25, 2010, 17:43 bhcompy

Ecthelion wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 15:47:
There are a few decent single-player FPS mods, but I haven't seen any true indie single-player FPS games.

Serious Sam(more fun as co-op, but campaign focused). Farcry.

50. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 15:51 bhcompy

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 15:32:
Better yet, keep vehicles out of Tribes entirely. They are completely redundant given the mobility and firepower that players already possess.

I don't think so. The scout was a great platform for flagrunning like in Rollercoast and the APCs were necessary for transporting heavies around(not to mention the awesomeness of having a portable mortar platform)

News Comments > Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark
18. Re: Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark Oct 25, 2010, 15:10 bhcompy

heroin wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 14:40:
Did Valve ever create the engine that the original Team Fortress came out of (Quake)? Hell no, they didn't. But, as far as I know they did hire a bunch of guys who created the mod and did a very good job bringing it into it's own.

Well, Valve never created any engine from scratch. Source is still based on Quake. And TF already came into it's own before Valve bought the IP, much like CS. Valve just made it a profitable venture rather than a free total conversion. Too bad no one has ever done that for AQ2, because I'd pay for a new AQ2 at this point(at least if it's got similar physics)

News Comments > Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned
25. Re: Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned Oct 25, 2010, 15:07 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 14:54:
I don't think it's quite that simple as other weapons need some rebalance in hardcore as well but either way hardcore is terrible right now. BC2 is one of the few games I've played where hardcore mode is punishing to good players and accommodating to "noobs", it's really ass backwards. Hardcore should be a step up for everyone equally in terms of challenge and difficulty, not artificially balanced around poorly implemented aspects of gameplay.

I agree, I was just pointing out the most glaring problem(to myself). And being accommodating to noobs is part of the whole LMG thing. At least with the noobtube you only get one shot at a time

21. Re: Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned Oct 25, 2010, 14:44 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 14:09:
BFBC2 is only meant to be played 1 way - and that is hardcore, which at this moment, without this new "fix" - is just fine.

I don't know, hardcore might be more realistic but it's also far too accommodating to people with low skill ceilings right now. Given that the most played modes on many of the maps are literal meat grinders that force team efforts on particular objectives much like Counter-Strike, it's honestly more enjoyable to be able to take a bit of damage instead of being 1-2 shot by someone who is just spraying and praying. There's a bit of a throwback initiative in the community to go back to normal mode on many of the servers and I totally get why.

And that whole problem is caused by the fact that the LMGs are ridiculously overpowered with no overheating and enormous clip sizes. Hardcore server with the LMG spam is just terrible.

13. Re: Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned Oct 25, 2010, 13:37 bhcompy

Well, it could just be they made the hitboxes bigger  

13. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 25, 2010, 13:19 bhcompy

necrosis wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 13:01:
Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 12:44:
FPS games have stagnated. Not that they ever innovated much beyond graphics, but they've definitely stagnated. Why? Most likely because consoles moved the genre back a few years.
So true. Because of the limited input on consoles (gamepad) many games have LOST features. Even to the point of destroying a franchisee. Rainbow Six anyone? Last good one was RvS. After that it became console centric and nothing more than just another FPS game among thousands. All the defining traits where thrown out. Ahh the memories of 8 on 8 RvS matches at LAN parties...

Ravenshield was great, but Roguespear was the pinnacle of the series

Anyways, no more lean left/lean right anymore

11. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 25, 2010, 13:16 bhcompy

crazyfingers wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 12:31:
The ammount of unique gampeplay brought by goldeneye 64 was incredible, especially for a cartridge console game. To call it a rip off of other FPS's is a gross understatement. The devil's often in the details and the way the mecahnics came together to form a coherent incredibly fun whole is what made goldeneye one of the all time classics, from incredible weapon balance and mechanics (shooting through walls, location specific damage, duel weilding), to hilariously fun animations and characters like baron samedy and oddjob(who remembers spazzing out while strafing back and forth and looking up?), to a unique and hugely rewarding single player with tremendous depth (the unlockeable secrets were perfectly balanced giving an ever increasing challenge AND REWARD to the extent of which we haven't seen since.)

There are few if any games i can think of that transcended multilayer and single player among its peers like goldeneye did.

Don't forget blast and bullet textures on walls, as highlighted with paintball mode

11. Re: Bad Company 2 PC Changes Planned Oct 25, 2010, 12:55 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 12:43:
born2expire wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 11:11:
too little to late EA, hit reg has always SUCKED in DICE games. Im sure with the MOH hit reg it will screw up numerious other things.

Bring on RO:HOS and Brink.

Dice games have also had the exact same floaty jumping since BF1942Codename Eagle, it's hilarious.

Fixed.

Anyways, this point just reinforces that DICE needs to do more of what they do best, which is vehicular combat. I love the destructive nature of the current engine, but you need more vehicles like Doc Brown needs more jiggawatts

44. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 12:16 bhcompy

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 24, 2010, 15:23:
I hope they pull it off.. but let's be honest, those of us that are old school Tribes vets (Western Alliance!) are going to be very nitpicky about this title and very hard to please.

Just no goddamn Renegayeds

News Comments > Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights
29. Re: Bethesda Passed on Fallout MMOG Rights Oct 22, 2010, 20:01 bhcompy

Brumbek wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 18:23:
The Advocate wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:21:
ALL MMOs suck. ALL of them. They're all grind, extermination and Fedex quests. Booooooooooring. Not one of them is deep, not one of them holds even the dimmest candle to a solid single player RPG.
I completely agree with you. I've tried many times to enjoy MMOs but I quit after about 5 hours because they are so incredibly boring and feel dead to me. They strike me as big and heartless worlds.

Basically, they can never be as carefully crafted and immersive as a well-made single player RPG, as you say.

Moreover, I've never had any MMO players honestly say they enjoy the game for the game itself. They always talk about the social aspects and even though it's a grind for the first 100 hours, it gets better at max level, blah blah blah. Sort of reminds me of smokers or heroin addicts where they know it's a bad thing but just can't/won't stop.

I'd challenge any MMO addict, to tell me what story/quest/characters can match a solid SP RPG.

Depends on how you get in to it. EQ and DAoC were both very immersive because the worlds were incredibly detailed and incredibly dangerous. Wandering around Cornwall searching for Stonehenge for the first time was very engaging and brought out the character of the world. Much of DAoC was like that as it was based on history, myth, and legend and you get to explore it. EQ was much the same, even at the highend. Going in to Castle Mistmoore for the first time was an experience in itself.

And as a former EQ Guide, the fact that GMs in early EQ days played live NPCs for daily events and major storyline updates added to the dynamic world.

The story/quest/characters of single player RPGs are different, but they're a different genre. Not to mention that most RPGs are mostly linear regardless of the fact that they are set in a sandbox of sorts.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
15. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix Oct 22, 2010, 17:01 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:59:
Drezden wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:50:
kxmode wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:40:
Would an AMD/ATI combo system be less expensive but just as good as a Intel/nVidia combo?

Yes.

Don't let retarded morons like Grounded scare you away from AMD. They make quality chips and quality cards.

I haven't owned an Intel or Nvidia product in 10 years. And will continue to never own one of their products as long as AMD is available. Had nothing but problems with both companies. Never an issue with AMD/ATI.

How is AMD/ATI with Photoshop, Flash and Firefox?

First, the price per performance ratio for AMD/ATI is better than Intel/nV or Intel/ATI. If you want the top performance, sure, you look at Intel for the processor, but you pay a lot more per unit of performance and the diminishing returns aren't worth it as far as gaming is concerned(might be worth it for multimedia processing depending on your use).

Second, I've had no problem with my new AMD/ATI box regarding Photoshop, Flash, or Firefox(running Win7 64b). I recently upgraded from a 3200+ and an nV 7900GS AGP

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix
3. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers & Hotfix Oct 22, 2010, 15:41 bhcompy

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 22, 2010, 15:37:
AMD still did not fix various visual bugs in arma2 that were introduced with 10.9, but I will live.

Does ARMA2 have a solid multiplayer population?

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo