Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 679 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > On MOH Sales
9. Re: On MOH Sales Oct 20, 2010, 14:15 bhcompy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 20, 2010, 13:59:
heh - out of the 1200 people in my groups and friends list...only 8 haev purchased it.....

Granted it was the same for CODMW2 for me and my friends.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Interview
17. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 19, 2010, 14:05 bhcompy

Sempai wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 10:56:
tuddies wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 09:27:
no joke, UE3 is far more advanced than the latest id engine.. and the netcode is rock solid. you could give rage a huge bump up by using this engine.

And you have proof of this from where?..

Rage looked pretty damned impressive running on the shitbox360, I hope they don't fuck it up..God knows they've had enough time to make a solid engine by now.

Look We all know about UE3 but it's my hope that something...ANYTHING comes along to takes its place, It's grown long in the tooth..

They could always use Source.

Realistically though, the industry is better off with a few engines rather than each game having its own. Just costs too damn much to develop and that passes on to we the consumer.

News Comments > Upcoming WoW Item Removals
12. Re: Upcoming WoW Item Removals Oct 18, 2010, 13:27 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 18, 2010, 11:28:

"The most noticeable thing about Cataclysm is that Alliance and Horde towns, camps, and even questing areas, are now in close proximity of one another in every zone. This is a stark difference from classic WOW. So for every Alliance camp there’s a neighboring Horde camp. For every Horde Stronghold there’s an Alliance Keep, and so on and so forth.

Sounds like Warhammer

News Comments > Valve Denies Steam Trade-in Plans
2. Re: Valve Denies Steam Trade-in Plans Oct 14, 2010, 14:44 bhcompy

These analysts are a bunch of dipshits that need to stop meddling in the gaming industry. This story is fairly benign, but they always fuck around with financials and cause issues with companies that are public(like Activision and charging for PC online play)  

News Comments > EA Bashing
115. Re: EA Bashing Oct 14, 2010, 13:53 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:47:
Dev wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:40:
Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 23:16:
Will KOR beat WoW? No, it won't. Nothing ever will. It's too firmly established, and the only thing that can ever beat it is Blizzard giving up on it.

Blizzard's next MMO might though. I'm not sure if its smart to split up communities like that, but I think I've seen blues blurbs about another blizzard MMO in the works.

But it's going to suffer exactly the same problem as every other MMO. It has to compete with WoW, which has been polished and expanded upon for 6 to 7 years. People will play it, see it's nowhere near the level of WoW, and then just go back to WoW.

As long as everyone would rather just keep grinding the same raid over and over with a level 80 character, no new MMO really stands a chance, regardless of the developer.

Creston

They said the same thing about EverQuest.

41. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 13:28 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 13:24:

I don't know what happened with Maxis, I assume that Will Wright left and it kind of... lost its steam. To be fair, creating the next The Sims expansion isn't rocket science. I think Maxis found itself unable to justify itself. Maybe they lost any kind of innovative push, maybe they let themselves become a Sims factory, and let's be honest, the last good game they did was SimCity 4. EA actually kept them around, as they were inches from shuttering prior to the acquisition.

Westwood lost much of its high level staff immediately at merger. People inside then mismanaged it, but it was doomed from the start for losing its most valuable employees.

And Maxis' IP was abused thoroughly with all of the Sims games that came after the merger. Sim City went away while Sim Pets Party Remix 4 came out for DS and Wii.

Westwood did lose some of its staff, but they responded by forcing the games out to make the most cash rather than finishing the projects in time as Westwood would have done. They're just lucky they didn't drive the IP into the ground

35. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 13:22 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 13:14:
Darks wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 13:03:
I would like to know what has referring to that the Star Wars MMO is a joke. I need to know specifics. This is a game high on my list so is he just blowing smoke up everyone’s ass in hopes of trying to derail the game because he’s pissed off or is there fact to this comment he made?

Inquiring minds what to know!

He's blowing smoke. How does he even know the game cost 300M? The only people who know this is the CFO and those within the company's budgeting department and none of them are going to share this information with the entire company! I've work in a small company for the past 7 years, and to date they never once told the company about project costs. The only way this person would know this is if he worked in the budgeting department. If this is the case then the rest of his blog is worthless because he's talking about experiences in positions he himself has no knowledge of. I will say this person simply sounds pissed off for being fired and he's using the anonymity of Internet to take out his anger on his former employer. If this person posts an anonymous blog ripping apart his former employee could the real reason for him being fired has to do with him being a troublemaker in the company and he was finally caught?

1up article 3/10

Doesn't say 300m, but insinuates over 100m without factoring in the cost of acquisition of BioWare. And that's from EA CFO.

News Comments > Derek Paxton Joins Stardock
9. Re: Derek Paxton Joins Stardock Oct 13, 2010, 12:38 bhcompy

Island Dog wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 09:50:
Ironclad games are the developers of Sins. Other than that...no comment.

Well, the question is was Stardock investing in Ironclad to produce Sins, and are they still dependent on it if that is the case? Stardock won't be doing any producing anytime soon outside of Elemental given the current situation.

25. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 12:34 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 12:23:
The problem can be identified with one sole cause. Shareholders. Take a private company public and you have major problems, especially when the insiders don't have control over the majority of the stock.

In some cases I wholeheartedly agree.
In this I don't.

Shareholders want you to maximize value.
This is decimating, not maximizing.

Look at what happened with Maxis and Westwood. That is maximizing value in today's world. Like mentioned with the problems Google is having with outside shareholders, short term results are desireddemanded rather than long term growth(or growth potential). The modern stock market operates on quarterly numbers rather than long term numbers.

21. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 12:16 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 12:09:
EA has whittled down the Mythic team and replaced with their own people since the buyout. It's what EA does to everyone.

I'd like to think this is changing. Like to. You see examples of the opposite more often.

It's not hard to understand, though. You buy a company for three reasons:
1) It's a great core that has a lot of room to grow.
2) It's got potential but not all the pieces to get there
3) It's useless outside of IP

Company 1 you fund and leave alone. Company 2 you put your people in but for god'ssake recognize the culture and don't destroy what makes the company as good as it is. Company 3 you let go.

Seems like publishers love taking Company 1 and meddling with them until they become Company 2 due to departures, and end up driving them into becoming Company 3. Do not get it. You buy a company because of their core and their abilities and then you destroy it?

I so want to get into a publisher and see their reasoning, as there has to be some. And I want to be the guy that does it right.

The problem can be identified with one sole cause. Shareholders. Take a private company public and you have major problems, especially when the insiders don't have control over the majority of the stock.

Google is experiencing problems, as reported yesterday, because they make many long term investments with a great deal of risk. Shareholders are complaining that the company could be making more money than they currently are because of these investments(and Google already makes money hand of fist), but since Google retains the bulk of it's shares, it's able to deflect that criticism, which is something EA and Activision can't do.

15. Re: EA Bashing Oct 13, 2010, 11:55 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2010, 11:33:
Like I said, when was the last time Mythic made two games that sold 10 million copies plus in the space of a few months?

Creston

When was the last time Bioware made an MMO that was pulling in millions a month in subscriber fees for years at a time?

Most businessmen will tell you that the best model is the one that generates you revenue consistently rather than at one time. That is why Bioware and Blizzard got in to the MMO business, and Mythic has been there longer than both of them.

As far as the bashing, knowing people that worked for Mythic before and after the EA merge, I believe what this person is saying based on my own personal conversations with these people. EA has whittled down the Mythic team and replaced with their own people since the buyout. It's what EA does to everyone. And, realistically, it's not all that different from what happened at SOE with Galaxies(again, based on personal experience as a member of the press).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Medal of Honor Oct 12, 2010, 13:39 bhcompy

ASeven wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:35:
Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 11:20:
This is one of those games where single and multi are done by separate teams using separate engines. I never fully trust that.

Plus, DICE. I know many here love DICE. I've still hated everything they've done other than the original Battlefield. God I hate not being in a vehicle in their engines.

You and me, I've hated everything DICE has done for the PC since BF2. And the game, both SP and MP, is getting really average reviews all across the board, nobody seems to find a redeeming factor in yet another derivative game.

Yep, DICE needs to stick with what they do best. Vehicular combat. BFV was crap, BF2142 was too infantry heavy, and BFBC2 just doesn't have enough vehicles. Where the hell is the modern version of Aberdeen? BF2 had a good blend of vehicles and infantry, but the Desert Combat mod was mostly better than what BF2 was.

News Comments > EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced
6. Re: EVE Online: Commissioned Officer Edition Announced Oct 12, 2010, 13:34 bhcompy

briktal wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 13:10:
Zyrxil wrote on Oct 12, 2010, 12:56:
Have you played EVE? There are no classes or anything, so there's really no rerolling.

Especially since they standardized character stats so that you couldn't give your character terrible stats that slowed down most skill training.

Well, you can neural remap

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
24. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 17:09 bhcompy

kornkob wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:47:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:31:
,,,and the people being laid off at most of these companies are developing for PCs primarily...

You are wrong. Raven has had a strong console development focus for at least 7 years.

Love,
Guy Who Got Laid Off From Raven Last Time Round

And who's left on the team? Not the PC developers I bet(DLC != PC). Developers are winnowing out the old school PC developers and migrating the closed console approach to PC games(or just porting, badly at times, with no support).

News Comments > Raven Layoffs
16. Re: Raven Layoffs Oct 11, 2010, 16:31 bhcompy

Ruffiana wrote on Oct 11, 2010, 16:23:
tis the season for layoffs to re-align company focuses. Is it end of the business year or something?

That was 6/30. Realistically, it's probably because PC development is getting slowly shuttered and the people being laid off at most of these companies are developing for PCs primarily. Those oldschool developers have the wrong mindset to work at bigname publishers. Dev console is a bad thing, SDK's are bad, mapping programs are bad, community maps are bad, lack of episodic content is bad, etc

News Comments > 12 Million WoW Subscribers
49. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 18:46 bhcompy

kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 15:53:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:32:
SlyBri wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:56:
WOW is probably the only MMO that's actually worth 15 dollars a month.

I think you mean EVE

EVE is for people who enjoy spreadsheets and space.

And WoW is for people who enjoy spreadsheets and Dragonlance

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases
14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 14:03 bhcompy

Brubold wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 13:43:
I like TF2 but I never play a Medic which was my favorite class in TFC. I loved to conc jump to the enemy snipers and infect them all.

With TF2 it's almost exclusively Spy for me now.

Enjoy both games but TF2 is much better balanced. The only reason I don't play it more often is that it's a chore to get on and find a server that actually has players when it says it has players. Also the servers half full of bots are annoying.

I get that a lot with DOD:S. TF2 I just added about 5 good servers to my faves and it's cycle between them. No bots, good players, good times

27. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 13:32 bhcompy

SlyBri wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 12:56:
WOW is probably the only MMO that's actually worth 15 dollars a month.

I think you mean EVE

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases
12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Perks for Left 4 Dead 2 Purchases Oct 7, 2010, 12:33 bhcompy

Silicon Avatar wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 05:00:
Grenade spam in TF was ridiculous. TF2 is such a better game. The classes in TF2 actually have some useful distinctions and on most maps the good players can do better than just "spray and pray".

The old TF was just a meat grinder. It was a fun meat grinder, but I'm glad the gameplay evolved.

Grenades were generally ineffectual. They were mostly annoyances, which is what they were supposed to be. Yes, you could die to MIRV and regular nade spam, but they were easy enough to avoid. Conc, spy gas, caltrops, napalm, emp, and nail nades all were useful and fun and none of them were major gamechangers. Detpacks were obvious and medic disease took off 1hp at a time. And there were no crits or ubers.

And don't talk about useful distinctions, there wasn't one class in TF that wasn't usefully distinguished. Spray and pray wasn't part of the game(other than demoman), which it is now with all of the crits, minicrits, headshots, etc. It took a lot of balls to go on offense as an engie in TF, but your EMP made it worth it. Now, you carry your gun with you and setup shop wherever you want in 10 seconds. Kind of obnoxious.

And for the record, while Hunted was fun, Border1 is the best non-standard TF map/mod of all time.

18. Re: 12 Million WoW Subscribers Oct 7, 2010, 11:44 bhcompy

Jonny wrote on Oct 7, 2010, 11:36:
I've tried a lot of MMOs, and despite the complaining people do about it WoW is the only one that *feels* right. The art style is perfectly suited to the constraints of the genre, lower details means little on cartoon graphics, the gameplay is polished and smooth, plenty of diversions to keep you entertained. I've levelled up to 80 in fits and starts over the last two years and apart from EVE it's the only MMO I've ever been back to.

WoW's dominance isn't a fluke, it genuinely is the best all rounder out there, notwithstanding personal taste of course.

It's the Apple iProduct of MMO's. It's well polished, well funded, but ultimately not terribly deep or complex.

679 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo