Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 732 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 15, 2014, 15:07 bhcompy

Fantaz wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 14:54:
first Sony shafted us with extremely low stock of PS4's compared to other regions, and now they're raising the prices? thanks for screwing your customers over...

this pretty much makes the Xbox One Titanfall bundle for $50 more a better deal.

The CAN lost value. That's how economics works

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Craig Scott Leaves CCP for Bigpoint
10. Re: Craig Scott Leaves CCP for Bigpoint Mar 10, 2014, 10:23 bhcompy

smackdaddy wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:58:
Eve didn't start as F2P and its hardly F2P now. Want me to start listing crap F2P games?

Hardly F2P? You can fund your game with ingame cash in perpetuity

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Microsoft Said to Cut Windows Price 70% to Counter Rivals Feb 24, 2014, 19:43 bhcompy

Panickd wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 11:04:
It's a bit hard to cut your (insanely high) prices to "counter" your rivals when your rivals have mostly decided to give their stuff away for free. I think Microsoft needs to hop on the clue train and realize that if they want to continue to push Windows as the platform of choice they need to make it a no cost option (at least on the home consumer end of the spectrum).

Of course Microsoft is so completely clueless that if they ever did do something like that we'd get "Windows Basic" for free that would be so stripped out as to be absolutely useless because that's just how they roll.

Like? Ubuntu killed itself with Unity. It's dead. There is no other desktop Linux system that is anywhere close on the consumer side.

Apple charges for service packs.

Who else is there?

News Comments > Craig Scott Leaves CCP for Bigpoint
5. Re: Craig Scott Leaves CCP for Bigpoint Feb 24, 2014, 19:34 bhcompy

smackdaddy wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 18:49:
I was pretty interested in this until I saw free 2 play, then I stopped reading.

Because why? EVE is free to play and no one complains about that

News Comments > EA: Battlefield 4 "Exceedingly Successful;" Complaints Are "Noise"
15. Re: EA: Battlefield 4 Feb 12, 2014, 10:50 bhcompy

Battlefield has had wonky problems, netcode issues, balance issues, etc since it was Codename Eagle. I don't expect any different, despite the nice sheen they've put on the game.  

News Comments > World of Speed Announced
10. Re: World of Speed Announced Feb 10, 2014, 16:32 bhcompy

Because Motor City Online worked out so well  

News Comments > Amazon acquires Double Helix Games
10. Re: Amazon acquires Double Helix Games Feb 6, 2014, 17:37 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 16:33:
I'd effing love a good Dirty Harry game! "Do I feel lucky? Well do you punk?"

Lethal Enforcers all day

News Comments > Amazon acquires Double Helix Games
8. Re: Amazon acquires Double Helix Games Feb 6, 2014, 16:20 bhcompy

smackdaddy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:42:
I predict an android powered shit fest for games from Amazon....

Probably more Kindle targeted. They still haven't released Amazon Instant Video for Android, though it's out for Kindle and iOS

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
10. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 5, 2014, 22:59 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 20:46:
bhcompy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 19:56:
Shataan wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:54:
Hawken is NOT a Mech game. It is a kiddie Quaker not unlike VirtuaOn.... that just happens to sport Mechlike skins.

It is a mech game. It's an arcade style mech FPS game, like VirtuaOn or Armored Core(actually very similar to Armored Core in concept). It's not a simulation style mech FPS game, like Ultra Bots, Mechwarrior, or Iron Soldier.
The F2P elements of Hawken have always driven me away. But if it's like VirtuaOn, I think I very much want to play it.

Played it for a while. Seemed fine to me. I never paid a dime and I was competitive.

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
4. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 5, 2014, 19:56 bhcompy

Shataan wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:54:
Hawken is NOT a Mech game. It is a kiddie Quaker not unlike VirtuaOn.... that just happens to sport Mechlike skins.

It is a mech game. It's an arcade style mech FPS game, like VirtuaOn or Armored Core(actually very similar to Armored Core in concept). It's not a simulation style mech FPS game, like Ultra Bots, Mechwarrior, or Iron Soldier.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
47. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 12:35 bhcompy

Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:21:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:42:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:21:
Customer wise, they are cutting their own throat. It boggles the mind at how epically ****** SOE can be, at least half their customers use 32 bit OS. Only a minority computer professionals and gamers use 64 bit.

Can you prove any of what you just said?
No, do the majority of WoW players run 64 bit OS?

Desalus wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 17:47:
Customer wise, they are cutting their own throat. It boggles the mind at how epically ****** SOE can be, at least half their customers use 32 bit OS. Only a minority computer professionals and gamers use 64 bit.

Half their customers? Where did you get that number from? According to the recent Steam Hardware and Software survey 21% of Windows users run a 32 bit OS. 74% are running 64 bit.

Also remember that this game is being released for the PS4, so they probably came to the conclusion that the 21% of PC gamers isn't enough to change their technology to accommodate them. In the next few years that 21% will likely dwindle to a point that all games will be developed for 64 bit OS.
The numbers are just my experience, good point about the PS4. I see a big difference between a game on Steam and low end mmogs. As an example, the main reason WoW has been able to get their numbers are the low system requirements. It's a bad thing, anytime you limit your customer base in business, especially what SOE has been doing.

Really, what group of gamers is looking for a pixelated WoW builder clone that only runs on 64 bit?

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:12:
You mean a majority of gamers and professionals use a 64bit OS? Come on, going 64bit has been the trend since 2002 and if you didn't see it coming you're either blind, or ignored the writing on the wall. We're at the limit for 32bit, as such there's no point in writing things for it unless it's legacy required.

And let's be realistic, 32bit had a hell of a shelf life. Being that it was pushed into hard service in ~1988.
Maybe I made it sound like I didn't use or appreciate 64 bit? Right, in my experience only hard core gamers or computer system knowledgeable people use or know to get 64 bit. Obviously you guys know there are Win 7 & Win 8 32 bit OS.

I really don't mean to freak you guys out, but there's a whole world out there, who are not consumed by hard core games!

WoW is almost 10 years old. When it came out, it didn't push the boundaries, but it also wasn't playable on weak machines. People still running Voodoo2's at launch were not going to run WoW, and people on 32bit OS's are in the same boat with EQN. Time to get with the times. EQN's specs are playable on middling machines, just like WoW was at launch. So, yea, stop using WoW today as a comparison.

According to the most recent Steam hardware survey, 32bit Windows of all flavors makes up less than 19% of hardware. 80% being able to run it based on OS is fine with me. And 32bit W8 has a market share of .5%, so it has basically no impact on the market as the market moves forward.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
24. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 13:15 bhcompy

I feel like I'm in another world here. People complaining about a 64 bit requirement, people still on XP, people complaining about bandwidth requirements.. what the hell? Am I on Blue's News or is this AOL?  

News Comments > Vector Jumps Onto Steam
15. Re: Vector Jumps Onto Steam Dec 5, 2013, 20:11 bhcompy

Vectorman???  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2013, 14:51 bhcompy

nin wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:19:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 12:10:
Dropped Winamp sometime around when it became super bloated(AOL acquisition?). Sad to see it go, I guess, but that's life

I always grabbed the lite install, which is still out there.

I've been using Quintessential Player now for the better part of a decade. I felt like it was a definite upgrade, while lacking all the bloat. Shrug

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 21, 2013, 13:06 bhcompy

This is almost as bad as people that use phrases like "needs fixing"  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
15. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 21, 2013, 12:10 bhcompy

Dropped Winamp sometime around when it became super bloated(AOL acquisition?). Sad to see it go, I guess, but that's life  

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
57. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 19:08 bhcompy

Kosumo wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 17:21:
lol - the hanger module - do you think that it is as taxing as the full game will be? Is there any AI happing in the hanger module? I'd pick that The Sims has more going on than in the hanger CPU wise.

For the record, the EVE Online hangar, added in Incarna, is more taxing on the system with a single person first person view of your own apartment than a battle between 1000 ships.

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
16. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 11:22 bhcompy

Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

I just upgraded my office rig to a pair of Titans running in SLI, driving a 4K monitor and a 1440P one (Thanks NVidia for the goodies!). We’re about ready to build the ultimate AMD rig with FOUR R9 290Xs and AMD’s eight core CPU driving a set of 4K monitors in Eyefinity (Thanks AMD!)

Well then, I hope he's planning on natively supporting 16:10 resolutions rather than stretching the 16:9 assets. 16:9 is ass, yet he's using it.

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
42. No subject Nov 12, 2013, 18:22 bhcompy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 17:08:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:35:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:28:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:39:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 18:09:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

... and that's different then say losing your first few units in CoH? All RTS games are going to be painful if you lose units early in the game. The only real difference between the games is pace. CoH is a fast paced over quick game. Warcraft and the like are more strategy, building and resource based games that take more time and planning to play. I'll take another AoE over Warhammer any day of the week, but we'll never see it because most people simply don't want to invest the time or thought into it. ADD is an exaggeration but it's basically true.

CoH was less punishing for losing early units. Less focus on micro, more on macro. *craft games are completely focused on micro, for people that are doped up on ritalin.

Um you got your micro and macro backwards. CoH requires micro, you can't simply macro in CoH or you'll get slaughtered. You have to get right in there and micro manage all your individual units for best position and cover or you'll lose them. Dunno where you get the idea *craft games are completely focused on micro, base building and resource collecting are macro, micro is when you finally engage the enemy. If anything the *craft games have a balance between micro and macro, it's CoH that's heavily focused on micro.

EDIT heh all this CoH talk has me itching to fire up a game... must resist, must do chores, GTA has been eating way too much into my other activities this last month... must put down the games for awile, must resist temptation to just play games 24\7...

Because of build queues, passive resource collection, passive building, simple upgrade methods, and low population caps, CoH is much less micro. In *craft you must monitor all of your units and buildings even while you are sending out all your units because lost seconds of building results in a loss very fast, unlike CoH where you hit a population cap fairly quickly and instead just make sure you have a queue.

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
40. No subject Nov 12, 2013, 16:35 bhcompy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:28:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:39:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 18:09:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

... and that's different then say losing your first few units in CoH? All RTS games are going to be painful if you lose units early in the game. The only real difference between the games is pace. CoH is a fast paced over quick game. Warcraft and the like are more strategy, building and resource based games that take more time and planning to play. I'll take another AoE over Warhammer any day of the week, but we'll never see it because most people simply don't want to invest the time or thought into it. ADD is an exaggeration but it's basically true.

CoH was less punishing for losing early units. Less focus on micro, more on macro. *craft games are completely focused on micro, for people that are doped up on ritalin.

732 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo