Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
40. No subject Nov 12, 2013, 16:35 bhcompy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:28:
bhcompy wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 20:39:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 18:09:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

... and that's different then say losing your first few units in CoH? All RTS games are going to be painful if you lose units early in the game. The only real difference between the games is pace. CoH is a fast paced over quick game. Warcraft and the like are more strategy, building and resource based games that take more time and planning to play. I'll take another AoE over Warhammer any day of the week, but we'll never see it because most people simply don't want to invest the time or thought into it. ADD is an exaggeration but it's basically true.

CoH was less punishing for losing early units. Less focus on micro, more on macro. *craft games are completely focused on micro, for people that are doped up on ritalin.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warcraft and Warcraft II Coming to Modern PCs "In Some Form or Fashion"
33. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 20:39 bhcompy

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 18:09:
Warcraft has to be one of my favorite RTS games. I really liked CoH but so much got lost in RTS games when having to get your own resources got dropped from the genre. Chopping down trees and mining added so much to a game, but I guess all that work and time was too much for the ADD crowd. Now were lucky if you have to gather even one resource never mind two.

Not ADD, but still don't like the old resource management options. You're penalized too hard for losing early foragers. You still have to gather resources in CoH, but it's more objective based, which is better for the game.

22. No subject Nov 11, 2013, 16:10 bhcompy

Of the classic style RTS games, WC2 is probably the best(I prefer it over Starcraft). The problem is that more modern games, like Dawn of War, are just better and less frustrating.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
8. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 10:00 bhcompy

Meanwhile, if you are wondering why bullets can follow you around corners, NowGamer has the explanation from executive producer Mark Rubin.

You can tell who has only been gaming since broadband became highly available by who is complaining about this. Glad I'm not an HPB anymore

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
7. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 09:58 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 09:36:
"new match-making algorithm"

How many times has mankind attempted match-making and possibly has never done it well? And if so, why isn't everyone using the same logic by now? It's like the impossible feat. If congress wants to be up in arms about any code, it should be match-making code.

The best we have generally is the ELO system used by many competitions(chess, for instance) and video games(League of Legends, for instance).

It still creates issues.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
22. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 12:17 bhcompy

Whiskers wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 11:55:
I have heard several industry analyst say that games will continue to come out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 for the next 10 years. The new platforms don't have a large enough user base to warrant making games only for them.

FIFA 2014 was just released for PS2, 7 years after PS3 launch.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
5. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 09:50 bhcompy

Not a surprise, for one, given their track record in the past 5-10 years.

And we don't want it, either, given how poorly their console-optimized games port to PC.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure
11. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 00:01 bhcompy

PropheT wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:46:
D_K_night wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 13:08:
The game had many genuinely good ideas, ideas that were adapted into future MMO's past it. It was supposed to have far superior PvP content vs WoW's. Didn't it support realm vs realm combat too? All these things should have led up to a game which should have given WoW a good run for it's money.

And then Wrath of the Lich King came out and buried WAR. I think this game deserves a developer post-mortem. What exactly went wrong?

It did have better PvP, did a lot of things better. What it didn't do was compete from a PvE standpoint, though, by either having no or almost no AI for things you fought to having no PvE endgame and no real benefit to anything else you did cooperatively outside of RvR.

PvP games are niche games, and this one was made to bridge the gap and never stepped outside of being a PvP game. It didn't help that within a year or less of coming out they had just quit trying to do anything with it at all.

When it's all said and done, though, can people name even a handful of MMO's that have shut down that haven't been related to EA? How many MMO's has EA been behind that -haven't- shut down? They keep throwing money at them, expecting them to be immediately huge for their own WoW-type player base and paycheck, and then do nothing to support them once they (very predictably) aren't.

I disagree with it not competing on PvE. The PvE was actually really good with the public quest system and the way that you could level effectively off quests alone. The problem was that there were never enough players to support public quests and the game was too big in scope. If it was sized like DAoC, it would have done a lot better. Then again, Mythic screwed the pooch in DAoC with New Frontiers shortly before War came out, so that isn't surprising.

News Comments > DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements
20. Re: DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements Oct 8, 2013, 14:34 bhcompy

Flak wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 14:08:
"based on what we intended to deliver the team did a great job"

...really? BF3 single player was probably flat-out the worst single player experience I can remember of the last 5-10 years.

Yeah, keep making beyond mediocre single player while the multiplayer, which isn't half-bad when it manages to function as intended, doesn't get the full attention it needs to be worth the $60 price tag.

Sorry DICE, this isn't 2011, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, call me a console gamer

Err.. Hyperbole much? BF3 single wasn't that bad. Just short. It had cool sequences and some fun times. Better than the recent Medal of Honor, that's for sure.

Regardless, Battlefield has never been known for singleplayer. BF3 was the first main sequence BF game that even had it.

News Comments > DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements
18. Re: DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements Oct 8, 2013, 13:35 bhcompy

"What we promised ourselves [with Battlefield 4] was to unify the product more, so we infused a lot of the things from multiplayer - from being able to use your squad - into multiplayer, so now you can use them in single player to engage enemies. First and foremost we're opening up the encounters more to give you the freedom to decide how to tackle them, whereas in Battlefield 3 it was more 'pick up that one and kill that one', which I can agree is not the most exciting way. Players want to feel smart doing what they're doing."

So give us Rogue Spear with Frostbite 3.

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
19. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 09:48 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:33:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:12:
I'm sure that Valve retained publishing rights. Valve wins by having this game published on time by the same team that did the work so far. Changing teams leads to bad products and missed deadlines.
I'm sure they didn't. They gave probably a million in hardware to that other group that departed. They don't care about stuff like that when it comes to their employees.
Valve will still "win" when the game gets put on steam by their 30% cut, so even if they cared, that's not going to matter much.

And putting it on Steam is what would be "publishing rights". Games like this don't go to print

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
17. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 09:12 bhcompy

I'm sure that Valve retained publishing rights. Valve wins by having this game published on time by the same team that did the work so far. Changing teams leads to bad products and missed deadlines.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Campaign Details
22. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 14:49 bhcompy

BF3 single player was pretty good. It's the first time they actually truly tried to have a singleplayer, too, and it worked out pretty well. The earthquake scene and surrounding time were all very fun and well scripted  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 18, 2013, 01:28 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 21:00:
When's the last time EA made a really new sports game that wasn't really anything more than some roster changes or new camera angles?

After NFL Gameday came out and for about 2 years dominated the console football market because of the lack of innovation. Then they built on a solid ground for a good few years and made some very good PS2 games. Of course, once the XBox became the primary platform late in the cycle, they dumbed down the game and removed much of the advanced functionality good players were used to(many more options for coverage changes, route running, etc) in order to appeal to the XBox dumb frat boy demographic, similar to FPS games losing things like lean, FOV, etc.

That said, NCAA Football always seemed to be a bar above Madden in terms of features, as it seems that EA used it as a platform for testing new features or features they weren't sure about. Some things never made it over/were removed from Madden over time like jumping the count, pitching the football, etc. Tiny features, sure, but ones that I always wished that modern Madden had

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:39 bhcompy

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
I don't play TF2 anymore (item drops and the crafting system ruined the game for me) but I'm glad it's still going strong since it's the only arcade shooter around. Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.

There was a Painkiller standalone expansion released last year

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases "Grand Theft Auto Online"
78. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases Jul 9, 2013, 17:09 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 15:48:
wasteoid wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:39:
I wish the GTA games allowed you to create your own character, like in the Saints Row games. I wonder if they restrict players to only preset characters due to limiting the player interactions or animations. There has to be some good reason for not allowing full character customization these days.

It's even worse as there aren't any girls to play, I mean why not? Story works fine whether char is male or female but they obviously thought 3 dudes is the way to go..

To me Saints Row is far superior exactly because of that. I want over the top open world action gameplay with toppings of insanity and awesome.. not a realistic crime simulation with 3 unlikable dudes that takes itself sooooo damn serious. But I guess some people like this... to me there is nothing more boring ;/

Must be an age or cultural thing

GTA4 was a story told through the character and Niko was the protagonist. It's crafted around his life, where he is, who he is, etc. It's not an MMO and throwing a_random_person00 into a generic story quest. If you don't like that, don't play GTA. You probably won't like any Metal Gear games, either.

News Comments > Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned?
27. Re: Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned? Jul 1, 2013, 17:29 bhcompy

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:00:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:24:

Zelda: Skyward Sword had a game-breaking bug. You could bug Dragon's Age and X-COM to kill progress, too.

At least, though, you can play them. Not being able to connect to servers is horrendous.

Could add Vampire: The Masquerade to that. It literlly didn't work on release to most, but post patching from fanbase has fixed, improved, and added content. If it had been a server-driven online only DRM, it never would have made a cent.

If I recall, the only reason why this was even possible was because it was one of the game's developers doing those patches, similar to when Aureal was bought out and shut down an Aureal developer continued to make aftermarket drivers for the cards

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 12:25 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 00:49:
Don't forget a lot of that shit last time out was the whole Bluray vs. HD format war.

Well, to a degree. 360 didn't require it and none of the games really needed it. Meanwhile, MGS4 used all 55gigs on the bluray disc not too long after release and was better because of it(I disagree with the people that don't like the video sequences, because it truly is a story driven game and franchise and you have a cinematic experience with it).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 12:39 bhcompy

1badmf wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:57:
Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:34:
I owned a Neo-Geo, shit was insanely expensive. I remember working all summer to save up for it.

holy fuck, why?!?! just the games were $200 as i recall. and the graphics weren't THAT good.

Because Neo-Geo had the best arcade games

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 13:15 bhcompy

Are the PS4 and Xbox One really that expensive, historically?

No. My 3DO was $700 at launch. Next question

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo