Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 706 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure
11. Re: Warhammer Online Goes Free Until Closure Nov 4, 2013, 00:01 bhcompy

PropheT wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 18:46:
D_K_night wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 13:08:
The game had many genuinely good ideas, ideas that were adapted into future MMO's past it. It was supposed to have far superior PvP content vs WoW's. Didn't it support realm vs realm combat too? All these things should have led up to a game which should have given WoW a good run for it's money.

And then Wrath of the Lich King came out and buried WAR. I think this game deserves a developer post-mortem. What exactly went wrong?

It did have better PvP, did a lot of things better. What it didn't do was compete from a PvE standpoint, though, by either having no or almost no AI for things you fought to having no PvE endgame and no real benefit to anything else you did cooperatively outside of RvR.

PvP games are niche games, and this one was made to bridge the gap and never stepped outside of being a PvP game. It didn't help that within a year or less of coming out they had just quit trying to do anything with it at all.

When it's all said and done, though, can people name even a handful of MMO's that have shut down that haven't been related to EA? How many MMO's has EA been behind that -haven't- shut down? They keep throwing money at them, expecting them to be immediately huge for their own WoW-type player base and paycheck, and then do nothing to support them once they (very predictably) aren't.

I disagree with it not competing on PvE. The PvE was actually really good with the public quest system and the way that you could level effectively off quests alone. The problem was that there were never enough players to support public quests and the game was too big in scope. If it was sized like DAoC, it would have done a lot better. Then again, Mythic screwed the pooch in DAoC with New Frontiers shortly before War came out, so that isn't surprising.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements
20. Re: DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements Oct 8, 2013, 14:34 bhcompy

Flak wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 14:08:
"based on what we intended to deliver the team did a great job"

...really? BF3 single player was probably flat-out the worst single player experience I can remember of the last 5-10 years.

Yeah, keep making beyond mediocre single player while the multiplayer, which isn't half-bad when it manages to function as intended, doesn't get the full attention it needs to be worth the $60 price tag.

Sorry DICE, this isn't 2011, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, call me a console gamer

Err.. Hyperbole much? BF3 single wasn't that bad. Just short. It had cool sequences and some fun times. Better than the recent Medal of Honor, that's for sure.

Regardless, Battlefield has never been known for singleplayer. BF3 was the first main sequence BF game that even had it.

News Comments > DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements
18. Re: DICE on BF4 Solo Play Improvements Oct 8, 2013, 13:35 bhcompy

"What we promised ourselves [with Battlefield 4] was to unify the product more, so we infused a lot of the things from multiplayer - from being able to use your squad - into multiplayer, so now you can use them in single player to engage enemies. First and foremost we're opening up the encounters more to give you the freedom to decide how to tackle them, whereas in Battlefield 3 it was more 'pick up that one and kill that one', which I can agree is not the most exciting way. Players want to feel smart doing what they're doing."

So give us Rogue Spear with Frostbite 3.

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
19. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 09:48 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:33:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:12:
I'm sure that Valve retained publishing rights. Valve wins by having this game published on time by the same team that did the work so far. Changing teams leads to bad products and missed deadlines.
I'm sure they didn't. They gave probably a million in hardware to that other group that departed. They don't care about stuff like that when it comes to their employees.
Valve will still "win" when the game gets put on steam by their 30% cut, so even if they cared, that's not going to matter much.

And putting it on Steam is what would be "publishing rights". Games like this don't go to print

News Comments > Valve Closes SF Satellite Office
17. Re: Valve Closes SF Satellite Office Aug 9, 2013, 09:12 bhcompy

I'm sure that Valve retained publishing rights. Valve wins by having this game published on time by the same team that did the work so far. Changing teams leads to bad products and missed deadlines.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Campaign Details
22. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 14:49 bhcompy

BF3 single player was pretty good. It's the first time they actually truly tried to have a singleplayer, too, and it worked out pretty well. The earthquake scene and surrounding time were all very fun and well scripted  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 18, 2013, 01:28 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 21:00:
When's the last time EA made a really new sports game that wasn't really anything more than some roster changes or new camera angles?

After NFL Gameday came out and for about 2 years dominated the console football market because of the lack of innovation. Then they built on a solid ground for a good few years and made some very good PS2 games. Of course, once the XBox became the primary platform late in the cycle, they dumbed down the game and removed much of the advanced functionality good players were used to(many more options for coverage changes, route running, etc) in order to appeal to the XBox dumb frat boy demographic, similar to FPS games losing things like lean, FOV, etc.

That said, NCAA Football always seemed to be a bar above Madden in terms of features, as it seems that EA used it as a platform for testing new features or features they weren't sure about. Some things never made it over/were removed from Madden over time like jumping the count, pitching the football, etc. Tiny features, sure, but ones that I always wished that modern Madden had

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:39 bhcompy

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
I don't play TF2 anymore (item drops and the crafting system ruined the game for me) but I'm glad it's still going strong since it's the only arcade shooter around. Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.

There was a Painkiller standalone expansion released last year

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases "Grand Theft Auto Online"
78. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases Jul 9, 2013, 17:09 bhcompy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 15:48:
wasteoid wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:39:
I wish the GTA games allowed you to create your own character, like in the Saints Row games. I wonder if they restrict players to only preset characters due to limiting the player interactions or animations. There has to be some good reason for not allowing full character customization these days.

It's even worse as there aren't any girls to play, I mean why not? Story works fine whether char is male or female but they obviously thought 3 dudes is the way to go..

To me Saints Row is far superior exactly because of that. I want over the top open world action gameplay with toppings of insanity and awesome.. not a realistic crime simulation with 3 unlikable dudes that takes itself sooooo damn serious. But I guess some people like this... to me there is nothing more boring ;/

Must be an age or cultural thing

GTA4 was a story told through the character and Niko was the protagonist. It's crafted around his life, where he is, who he is, etc. It's not an MMO and throwing a_random_person00 into a generic story quest. If you don't like that, don't play GTA. You probably won't like any Metal Gear games, either.

News Comments > Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned?
27. Re: Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned? Jul 1, 2013, 17:29 bhcompy

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:00:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:24:

Zelda: Skyward Sword had a game-breaking bug. You could bug Dragon's Age and X-COM to kill progress, too.

At least, though, you can play them. Not being able to connect to servers is horrendous.

Could add Vampire: The Masquerade to that. It literlly didn't work on release to most, but post patching from fanbase has fixed, improved, and added content. If it had been a server-driven online only DRM, it never would have made a cent.

If I recall, the only reason why this was even possible was because it was one of the game's developers doing those patches, similar to when Aureal was bought out and shut down an Aureal developer continued to make aftermarket drivers for the cards

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 12:25 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 00:49:
Don't forget a lot of that shit last time out was the whole Bluray vs. HD format war.

Well, to a degree. 360 didn't require it and none of the games really needed it. Meanwhile, MGS4 used all 55gigs on the bluray disc not too long after release and was better because of it(I disagree with the people that don't like the video sequences, because it truly is a story driven game and franchise and you have a cinematic experience with it).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 12:39 bhcompy

1badmf wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:57:
Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:34:
I owned a Neo-Geo, shit was insanely expensive. I remember working all summer to save up for it.

holy fuck, why?!?! just the games were $200 as i recall. and the graphics weren't THAT good.

Because Neo-Geo had the best arcade games

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 13:15 bhcompy

Are the PS4 and Xbox One really that expensive, historically?

No. My 3DO was $700 at launch. Next question

News Comments > Two More Atari Properties Sold
3. Re: Two More Atari Properties Sold Jun 24, 2013, 22:32 bhcompy

Desperados? Pfft. Where's Sunset Riders?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2013, 11:24 bhcompy

if recent history serves, barely a mention of the PC platform.

Regardless of if they get mentioned, PC games are always present. And, hell, they don't even get stuck in the Kentia Hall.

News Comments > World of Tanks Boasts 60M Accounts
6. Re: World of Tanks Boasts 60M Accounts Jun 8, 2013, 00:33 bhcompy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 7, 2013, 15:14:
Having been looking at this title for a while now but not doing much research, is the grind really that bad? Being an MMO, I would expect there to be some form of grind to unlock more tanks and upgrades or modifications but does it take that much away from the game itself?

The grind is manageable, but once you reach tier 7, it becomes tough, even with a premium subscription and premium tanks(which have increased in-game credit generation, but are generally weaker than maxed out tanks in the same tier). It's extraordinarily difficult to get above tier 8 without a premium account

News Comments > EVE Online: Odyssey Launches
3. Re: EVE Online: Odyssey Launches Jun 4, 2013, 22:29 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 21:10:
Why do almost all their "expansions" sound like nothing but glorified patches and general maintenance that you expect for your monthly fee in the first place?

Most expansions add a swath of new features/ships/star systems or completely redesign existing functionality that is outdated or poorly designed. Basically, the same thing you get with any expansion, yet for free.

News Comments > Wargaming's Open Source Support
3. Re: Wargaming's Open Source Support May 23, 2013, 12:34 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on May 23, 2013, 08:50:
World of Warplanes (beta) sucks. Major fail in the works there. WoT is decent but the greed of the developers prevents that game to truly shine. WoB isnt even in alpha as far as I know.

I don't know about greed. Other than premium tanks(which are generally average for tier, but increase credit generation), everything is now purchasable with ingame credits, no cash required. The worst thing about the game is the grind, not the greed.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2013, 14:26 bhcompy

nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 22:39:
bhcompy wrote on May 17, 2013, 19:23:
nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:18:
Panickd wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:16:
Prez wrote on May 16, 2013, 22:01:
TBS, TNT to Stream Live TV
...If You're an Existing Cable TV Subcriber

Wall

And thus I will continue to torrent whatever I wish to see from them. Which isn't all that much.

I just wait for everything to come out on disc/streaming, but yeah...it's like they don't get it...

And you expect to get it for free? They are not a broadcast network. They charge subscription fees. They are probably just as tied up as ESPN and HBO when it comes to streaming content on the internet due to existing contracts. ESPN and HBO both offer free streaming to existing subscribers.

No, I never said free. People don't want cable - they want ala carte. Something that terrifies the shit out of cable, since it removes them from the equation.

Not directed at you personally, but I don't give a fuck about their contracts. If they want my money, they have to play my way. Or I'll keep doing what I've done for the last 5+ years and stream or buy shit what it comes out on disc.

I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit about you

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2013, 19:23 bhcompy

nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:18:
Panickd wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:16:
Prez wrote on May 16, 2013, 22:01:
TBS, TNT to Stream Live TV
...If You're an Existing Cable TV Subcriber

Wall

And thus I will continue to torrent whatever I wish to see from them. Which isn't all that much.

I just wait for everything to come out on disc/streaming, but yeah...it's like they don't get it...

And you expect to get it for free? They are not a broadcast network. They charge subscription fees. They are probably just as tied up as ESPN and HBO when it comes to streaming content on the internet due to existing contracts. ESPN and HBO both offer free streaming to existing subscribers.

706 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo