Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 732 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks
15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 16:39 bhcompy

Techie714 wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 16:36:
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, I HATE when they do shit like this. I realize that many PC games lose value quickly & are not worth nearly as much as when they first hit market but I like to sell my games when I'm finished with them. They did this same shit with Civ V and it sucks. I enjoyed Civ V and no longer play it, I'd love to sell it but cant.....Such BS IMO. This way of business COMPLETELY wipes out the second hand market. Well this would have been a day one purchase for me, but now I'll wait till December for the big sales...

how do you even sell a game that has a cdkey tied to it and registered to your email? I don't know if Gearbox does this directly, but EA, Activision, and THQ do for various games

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
28. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Feb 14, 2011, 12:27 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 23:29:
Oh and also, XP is still faster at DX9 gaming than vista or 7.

Do you really need that difference of 150fps to 170fps? DX9 games are ancient. A semi-modern 7 rig is going to max it out regardless of performance. I have no problem running Stalker, HL2, or any other DX9 game at highest settings.

As far as Win7. I liked XP, I thought I'd stick with it, but other than the shiatty explorer, Win7 is vastly superior in performance, capability, and just making things nice. Not having to have a floppy disk for a SATA primary hard drive is also huge.

News Comments > Homefront Trailer
3. Re: Homefront Trailer Feb 10, 2011, 23:15 bhcompy

MajorD wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 21:56:
This game looks pretty good, but my only reservation is that it uses the Unreal 3 Engine, which I have never been a big fan of. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful engine graphically, but it is just the physics and feel that have never felt as realistic and polished as an idTech or Source Engine. The mouse I/O sucks too.

BioShock was a great game, which I liked, but the only drawback for me was that it runs on the Unreal 3 Engine. The new Metal of Honor used it too, so that game had two strikes against it: 1) It sucked, and 2) It used the Unreal 3 Engine.

Anyway, is there anyone else out there with the same opinion on the Unreal 3 Engine?

It's a good, inexpensive engine that does vehicles well enough. I have no problem with it. I'd rather have developers use existing tech and put money into content development.

News Comments > Salem Perma-Death Explained
24. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 15:39 bhcompy

This is very similar to Realms of Torment. That game had a lot of promise, but was eventually killed because of lack of funding after chronically overshooting deadlines(it made early beta eventually that looked and performed like an early alpha). Your character had a defined lifespan and you would have to have a marriage or adopt to continue your bloodline, while you could breed certain traits/skills into your bloodline that would provide accelerated learning for those skills when you start over. You are also not tied to a particular class, so you can be a healer type the first time around and a fighter the next.

This concept allows the game to remain fresh, IMHO, but it is definitely not for the WoW crowd.

News Comments > Another Raven/Bond Indication
1. Re: Another Raven/Bond Indication Feb 9, 2011, 12:39 bhcompy

Ah Raven, how far you've fallen  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Details
16. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 11:49 bhcompy

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:26:
Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 11:07:
Ex-modders should know better than anyone how a thriving mod community can keep a game alive (and, more importantly, selling) long past its nominal 'end of life'. To not support the mod community is just stupid. Period.

All of the lame excuses they give (as quoted in the post below me) only serve to prove in my view that they never intended to allow modding in the first place. Everyone bashes EPIC all the time, but they deliberately code their games using an engine designed from the start to be used by the community.

Epic is also in the engine business. DICE is not. As far as I know UE3 doesn't use any middleware or libraries that aren't owned by EPIC. Setting DICE to developing both a AAA multi-platform title and an engine on the level of a UE3 or Source is an additional risk that, considering the existing competition, would probably not pan out. These aren't just lame excuses, this is how major game development works these days; it's expensive, hard, massive, and (because of the costs) risk-averse. It's annoying, and it's part of the reason why the indie games and smaller/casual titles are drawing so much attention from everyone.

Well, Frostbite is their engine, they just don't license it outside of EA.

And, really, no one cares about AAA title status with BF3. They want what they had with BF1942 and BF2, which is decidedly not what qualifies for today's AAA title moniker.

News Comments > Frostbite 2 Trailer, BF3 Details
48. Re: Frostbite 2 Trailer, BF3 Details Feb 7, 2011, 20:35 bhcompy

Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 18:43:
bhcompy wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 18:33:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 17:20:
Ugh, and just when I was getting used to running BF2 on my laptop (my only half-way decent PC). Wonder what the spec requirement will be for the PCs.

Less than 500$ will build you a rig that will play BF3 very well. Put all that money you use eating out into a bank every month and you'll have it saved in no time

Usually I'm one of the first guys to respond "Gaming PCs don't cost that much!" but $500 for a rig to play BF3 "very well" is likely not going to be possible.

DICE has never been known for pushing the envelope on engine requirements. The engine has to be flexible enough to run on the PS3/360, as well. As is, this it the rig I built 5 months ago for 500, and you can get better for cheaper. It runs every game out fine on max to high settings, including hogs like Metro 2033. BFBC2 runs fine on max settings with AA/AF set high

AthlonII X3 445
4gigs of DDR3 ram
1tb SATA2 HDD
ASUS 880G mobo, USB3/SATA3 capabilities, CrossfireX ready
5770 1gb GDDR5
650w modular PSU
Spacious mid case with rail system

Easily scalable as the X3 can be replaced with the Phenom x6 1090t for an extra 120$ and a BIOS flash.
Can run CrossfireX in 16x/4x mode(HardOCP benchmarks show very little degradation in performance between 16x/16x, 8x/8x, and 16x/4x). Two 5770s(or newer 68xx series) cards would add a lot of performance for only a small investment, not necessary, but scalable none the less.

No modern game gives it trouble and DICE isn't known for pushing the envelope, so I don't see why a 500$ rig built today(or on launch day of BF3) would have any trouble considering the horsepower available for $500 now.

News Comments > Frostbite 2 Trailer, BF3 Details
35. Re: Frostbite 2 Trailer, BF3 Details Feb 7, 2011, 18:33 bhcompy

CrimsonPaw wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 17:20:
Ugh, and just when I was getting used to running BF2 on my laptop (my only half-way decent PC). Wonder what the spec requirement will be for the PCs.

Less than 500$ will build you a rig that will play BF3 very well. Put all that money you use eating out into a bank every month and you'll have it saved in no time

News Comments > 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall
61. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 16:32 bhcompy

Drezden wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 14:18:

What game are you playing? I've kept a T90 alive entire rounds on many occasions. It just means being on voice, having a co pilot who is an engineer and a good machine gunner. You can still dominate maps in BC2 with vehicles...

And a small group of infantry can take it out in a few seconds. Not every map is as wide open as Atacama either, which is one of the few maps where you can stay alive quite awhile in a tank by staying on the outskirts of battle(and even longer if you use optics and stay back in the base area).

38. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:21 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:15:
bhcompy wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:11:
Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:02:
LMGs will be the least of your worries with jets and prone in this game my friend

I dunno. If BFBC2 is any indication vehicles will be at a premium and easy to destroy. The days of vehicle dominated maps like Wake, Aberdeen, Oman, etc may be gone

Go play Vietnam and get back to me on that They seem to constantly reverse their vehicle balance from game to game.

I have. It seems worse. What maps are vehicle dominated in Vietnam? I gave up on it after playing the shitfests that are Hill 137 and Cao Son. And Hastings is horrible with the accuracy of the tanks vs the overly weak helicopters. Tank to tank is okay on Hastings, but would be nice to get a few more jeeps for quick transport with a full server.

36. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:15 bhcompy

DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:02:
I'll wait for the beta and see how it performs before jumping on the hardware upgrade bandwagon - hopefully by then Intel will have their shit sorted out.

Why go Intel and be forced to change chipsets/sockets every 12 damn months? Cheap dual or tri core AMD uses the same socket as a quad or hex core. Save you lots of money in the long run if you invest in your mobo wisely(since BIOS updates are all that's needed for most of them to support the CPUs they continue to release)

35. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 13:11 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 13:02:
LMGs will be the least of your worries with jets and prone in this game my friend

I dunno. If BFBC2 is any indication vehicles will be at a premium and easy to destroy. The days of vehicle dominated maps like Wake, Aberdeen, Oman, etc may be gone

News Comments > Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion
27. Re: Rift/Team Fortress Cross Promotion Feb 4, 2011, 12:57 bhcompy

PHJF wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 23:38:

That about sums up how I see every MMORPG I've played. And ironically, unless you are playing at or very near release, most MMOs will have you soloing vast swathes of boring quests ANYWAYS because everybody else is too busy with their endgame grind routines. The only contact you get from other players is from people spamming global chat with inane drivel.

Which is what makes EVE so great. It has none of that.

31. Re: 64-Player Battlefield 3 This Fall Feb 4, 2011, 12:54 bhcompy

This looks promising, but they need to add an overheat/cooldown on the LMG's with the addition of prone. LMG's are already ridiculously overpowered in BFBC2, this just makes it worse.  

News Comments > Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion?
12. Re: Steam 2010 Revenue Nearly $1 Billion Feb 3, 2011, 10:55 bhcompy

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 10:04:
Wow !

Black Ops alone sold 4X more on Steam than Bad Company 2. I know BC2 was not Steam exclusive like BO but still almost 100 million from BO is unbelievable.
Even L4D2 sold only 1/3rd of BO. Wow, no wonder Activision is shitting out the CoD games in every 10-12 months.

BFBC2 is also cheaper than CODBO, and the price dropped fairly quick on it. A more telling number for comparison purposes is units sold

News Comments > Company of Heroes Online Closing
5. Re: Company of Heroes Online Closing Feb 1, 2011, 16:25 bhcompy

This is the same company that also killed another awesome RTS franchise(imho the best visually, possibly the most difficult, and something that has never been duplicated). I don't know why they continue to do this.  

News Comments > Homefront PC Details
28. Re: OT Batttlefield Jan 28, 2011, 20:09 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 20:03:
finga wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 19:35:
The prequel novel for this game will be terrifying to you, then. It goes into a lot of detail as to how it happened, and while the actual journey of the main character is a bit off and the writing isn't of the highest quality, the actual concept leading up to the invasion is really well thought-out. They tick all the boxes, in my mind, that would lead to a feasible land invasion of the US.

ROFLMAO! This game is a wet dream for all the right-wing conspiracy kooks. A land invasion and occupying force is something that would never ever happen...ever. I love "what if" scenarios as much as the next guy, but this stretches the imagination beyond anything even remotely possible, so I can't suspend my disbelief and get into it.

3billion chinese, 300million americans. Conceivable, at least, if the chinese found a reason to go to war with us. I'm sure the japanese said the same thing prior to ww2

27. Re: OT Batttlefield Jan 28, 2011, 20:06 bhcompy

Techie714 wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 18:23:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 17:56http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/
[/quote:

I'm down if you still have any. Also in the 714(if that is what your name is indicative of)

WOOT O.C. FTW!
Yes I still have 2 left I'd be glad to send you an invite. I just sent it to you through Bluesnews. Enjoy!

Thanks dude, appreciate it

17. Re: OT Batttlefield Jan 28, 2011, 17:56 bhcompy

Techie714 wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 16:04:
Hey guys I have two extra VIP beta codes for Battlefield (Play 4 Free) game. If anyone wants one please reply to this message & I'll send it to you. Please only ask if you will use it.

http://battlefield.play4free.com/en/

I'm down if you still have any. Also in the 714(if that is what your name is indicative of)

News Comments > Age Of Empires Online Details
9. Re: Age Of Empires Online Details Jan 25, 2011, 16:16 bhcompy

UConnBBall wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:25:
Um Microsoft killed the community when it killed The Zone.

Then

Microsoft killed it when it Killed Ensemble Studios.

That studio was a monkey maker and they still killed it. Also their stupid patching since Rise of Rome has always been one frustrating endeavor. I will jump in when it comes out just to see if old friends might show up but who knows.

-UConnBBall

Big ol' fat THIS.

Also, RIP Digital Anvil and FASA Studio

732 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo