Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Playing Titan Already
17. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 13:09 bhcompy

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:45:
All we really know about it is that it will have a "more broad appeal" and their best talent from World of Warcraft is behind it.

We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team.
Source

So now WoW gets the B-team treatment which explains a lot.

MMO development works like this:
-Dev team makes game, finishes game, maybe works on a few expansions
-Live team follows dev team and maintains the game, provides updates/bugfixes
-Occasionally, a tertiary team is attached for expansion purposes

Their best developers haven't been working on WoW in ages

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Homefront Campaign is Five Hours?
44. Re: Homefront Campaign is Five Hours? Mar 8, 2011, 18:36 bhcompy

gilly775 wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 16:35:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 15:24:
Oh, how disappointed you're going to be when you find out how much like Call of Duty this game tries to be.

Exactly. From what I've read, this is exactly like CoD, only with a superficially different premise.

Didn't MW2's SP campaign have some nation attack the US on US soil?

You know who John Milius is and the significance of him being tied to this particular premise, right? He's been doing it a lot longer than the people formerly known as Infinity Ward

27. Re: Homefront Campaign is Five Hours? Mar 8, 2011, 12:41 bhcompy

Darks wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 12:11:
So, as usually many developers are taking the short route and short cutting many games stories these days. So should we call this the 5 Hour war? I donít get why they made this campaign so short, how can you really get into the game and explain and setup the story very well in five short hours? You canít!

Ok, the comment if youíre buying this game for the SP content only is for the wrong reason has got to be the stupidest comment I have read here. Youíre joking right? Iíll tell what, why donít you stick to MMO PVP server, if PVP is your thing have at it dude. I personally never ever buy a game for Multiplayer unless itís Coop. Utterly lame comment. Single player and the story is what is all about.

Then you're looking at the wrong game. These guys make multiplayer games. The SP is an afterthought(albeit one written by a very good writer for this genre). You'll want to look at Serious Sam instead.

21. Re: Homefront Campaign is Five Hours? Mar 8, 2011, 11:44 bhcompy

Homefront is a Battlefield derived game. Battlefield is multiplayer. I don't give a shiat about singleplayer. I didn't buy TF2 for the singleplayer either.  

News Comments > Bungie's MMOG Confirmed
6. Re: Bungie's MMOG Confirmed Mar 3, 2011, 23:30 bhcompy

So will it be washed out looking with generic weapons and gameplay?  

News Comments > Hardcore: Romero's Not Done With You
9. Re: Hardcore: Romero's Not Done With You Mar 3, 2011, 19:41 bhcompy

If JeffK is done with you, we're done with you  

News Comments > Battle: Los Angeles Announced
6. Re: Battle: Los Angeles Announced Mar 3, 2011, 19:40 bhcompy

Is this what Konami does between releases of MGS?  

News Comments > Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway
10. Re: Homefront Preorders Soar, Studio May Move Anyway Mar 3, 2011, 12:00 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:18:
Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:12:
Creston, they're not saying fire, they're saying move, although it may end up one in the same as I wouldn't want to move from NYC to Montreal, either.

Yeah, first they'll get moved, then they'll get fired. How long have we been seeing this happen in the game industry?

I agree that there's little reason for them to be in NYC, but this is pretty typical publisher behavior.

Creston

This is how development works, though. It is a very mobile profession by necessity. There are very few places where you can put down roots and get a job even if your old one moves as a game developer. I'd say that the West LA/Orange County/San Diego area and the Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area are the only two real areas with dense enough concentration of developers to say that you could put those roots down as a game developer and realistically hope for the best.

I hope that firing isn't the case, but you can't ignore that this is how many industries work in North America today

Elessar wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:23:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 11:19:
I've been looking forward to this game as well, but this is pretty worrying news.
Yeah it's like anti-marketing for the game. Brilliant move THQ. Suspend the idea of solid support for a game that is soon to be released.

It is worrying, but hopefully doesn't signal a shutdown or a loss of support. I don't want to see another Dynamix

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
9. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 2, 2011, 11:45 bhcompy

hrm. Just give me BF2 with the new engine. If I wanted infantry focus I'd play a different FPS. BF is about goddamned vehicular combat, and I didn't see no damn vehicles.  

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced
7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Announced Mar 1, 2011, 14:55 bhcompy

Best modern RTS out there, but I miss the lack of a story mode  

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
47. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 18:42 bhcompy

Pankin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 15:53:
And to think this all started with a The Little id software Engine That Could.

Given how groundbreaking and huge id software was in the 90s, it always seemed like they were the ones that should've elevated to the position Valve is in now. id was so huge! Didn't everyone at id get a Ferrari as a bonus one year or something? Talk about squandering your position.

Today, id is owned by Zenimax and Valve is totally calling their own shots and innovating and diversifying like a motherfucker.

I just think that's funny.

Which is even more funny since the base of the Source engine is still the Quake engine

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details
15. Re: Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details Feb 28, 2011, 14:21 bhcompy

SS was the the most fun lan co-op game ever. Hopefully that awesomeness is retained  

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
16. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 14:20 bhcompy

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 14:04:
Yeah, actually, I'm guessing it's a way to stream from your PC to your TV. I know, some of you already do this, but many people don't have their desktop anywhere near their main TV.

I'd wonder what the implementation is. Does it do any kind of optimization? Is there a hardware solution?

Interesting.

I just use a media server on my PC and stream to my PS3. Works over wifi no problem and costs nothing extra. Since Steam is coming to PS3(to what degree no one knows), this could be an offshoot of that. I have Vizio Apps on my TV, my FIOS box has widgets and games, etc. Sounds like they're just expanding Steam to work in those areas

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Adds Speaker Series, Loses MS & NVIDIA?
16. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Adds Speaker Series, Loses MS & NVIDIA? Feb 18, 2011, 16:53 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 13:40:
Everytime I think the PC 'gaming alliance' can't get any more fucking worthless, they up the ante.

A speaker series? SERIOUSLY? OMG SQUEEEE!

And it's about "State of the Virtual Goods Industry?" WHERE CAN I GET TICKETS?

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

Creston

People pay obscene amounts of money to see shiat like that at E3.

News Comments > Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor
20. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 17:35 bhcompy

So it will be a generic shooter with a washed out color palette?  

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
12. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 16, 2011, 16:21 bhcompy

Donkey_Punch wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 13:30:
Warning bells: game will suffer from console-itis.

Is that better than bone-itis?

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks
15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 16:39 bhcompy

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 16:36:
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one, I HATE when they do shit like this. I realize that many PC games lose value quickly & are not worth nearly as much as when they first hit market but I like to sell my games when I'm finished with them. They did this same shit with Civ V and it sucks. I enjoyed Civ V and no longer play it, I'd love to sell it but cant.....Such BS IMO. This way of business COMPLETELY wipes out the second hand market. Well this would have been a day one purchase for me, but now I'll wait till December for the big sales...

how do you even sell a game that has a cdkey tied to it and registered to your email? I don't know if Gearbox does this directly, but EA, Activision, and THQ do for various games

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 3
28. Re: On PC Battlefield 3 Feb 14, 2011, 12:27 bhcompy

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2011, 23:29:
Oh and also, XP is still faster at DX9 gaming than vista or 7.

Do you really need that difference of 150fps to 170fps? DX9 games are ancient. A semi-modern 7 rig is going to max it out regardless of performance. I have no problem running Stalker, HL2, or any other DX9 game at highest settings.

As far as Win7. I liked XP, I thought I'd stick with it, but other than the shiatty explorer, Win7 is vastly superior in performance, capability, and just making things nice. Not having to have a floppy disk for a SATA primary hard drive is also huge.

News Comments > Homefront Trailer
3. Re: Homefront Trailer Feb 10, 2011, 23:15 bhcompy

MajorD wrote on Feb 10, 2011, 21:56:
This game looks pretty good, but my only reservation is that it uses the Unreal 3 Engine, which I have never been a big fan of. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful engine graphically, but it is just the physics and feel that have never felt as realistic and polished as an idTech or Source Engine. The mouse I/O sucks too.

BioShock was a great game, which I liked, but the only drawback for me was that it runs on the Unreal 3 Engine. The new Metal of Honor used it too, so that game had two strikes against it: 1) It sucked, and 2) It used the Unreal 3 Engine.

Anyway, is there anyone else out there with the same opinion on the Unreal 3 Engine?

It's a good, inexpensive engine that does vehicles well enough. I have no problem with it. I'd rather have developers use existing tech and put money into content development.

News Comments > Salem Perma-Death Explained
24. Re: Salem Perma-Death Explained Feb 10, 2011, 15:39 bhcompy

This is very similar to Realms of Torment. That game had a lot of promise, but was eventually killed because of lack of funding after chronically overshooting deadlines(it made early beta eventually that looked and performed like an early alpha). Your character had a defined lifespan and you would have to have a marriage or adopt to continue your bloodline, while you could breed certain traits/skills into your bloodline that would provide accelerated learning for those skills when you start over. You are also not tied to a particular class, so you can be a healer type the first time around and a fighter the next.

This concept allows the game to remain fresh, IMHO, but it is definitely not for the WoW crowd.

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo