Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 734 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
5. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 21, 2011, 11:24 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 10:49:
Au contraire, I think their reluctance is that they're selling more than they want retail partners to know if anything. I think it's silly to hide this data and his excuse is really flimsy.

That's probably a big part of it.

Other companies do want to see how other games are doing, as well. It might not make a difference to small time developers, but to the Ubisofts, Activisions, etc of the world it is important to the decision making process. Valve is privately owned and managed, they don't have shareholders to answer to that require data based on industry trends and such in order to justify investment. Valve doesn't have shareprices that are affected by the public chart data, public financial data, and all of the analysts discussing the business, either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2011, 11:07 bhcompy

Probably my favorite videogame series(pre-consolitis).. Raven Shield was good, but Rogue Spear was the pinnacle of the series.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
11. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Apr 15, 2011, 20:08 bhcompy

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 15, 2011, 17:46:
Damn it , I saw jets---they ruined BF2.
Hopefully there is a server side option to turn them off and at the very least a one shot missle that does tons damage requiring them to land to repair with a long repair timer as well. Not that fly over the airfield/carrier and have instant repair. As well they should have to land to rearm, again with a long timer before they can take off again.

Game looks sweet though

Screw you. Jets are part of the damned experience. They didn't ruin BF2, they made BF2. BFBC2 is so damned boring because there are no jets and because there's too much damn infantry focus in a game that originally had all aspects of war- air, land, and sea

News Comments > Diablo III Details?
36. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 22:30 bhcompy

Dades wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:24:
Krovven wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 18:39:
Incorrect. Blizzard operates with it's own corporate leadership and control.

No, you are incorrect. Blizzard as a company may possess it's own internal leadership but those people still answer to the parent company. They are only in control of their own destiny in the sense that a rational person wouldn't kill the goose laying the golden eggs. Of course rationality and the corporate side of the industry always go hand in hand so there is no cause for concern.

ex: Infinity Ward

35. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 22:28 bhcompy

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 19:34:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 17:54:
Bobby Kotick is CEO and president of the parent company,

Correct.

and thus he has complete control over Blizzard.

No that is not correct, the CEO of the parent company, Vivendi is Jean-Bernard LÚvy

Bobby runs Activision
Mike Morhaime runs Blizzard.

Bobby is CEO of the parent company. Vivendi is the majority owner of outstanding shares(Activision-Blizzard has its own stock ticker because it is its own company). Technically, that puts Vivendi in charge(in a way, as much in charge as a majority shareholder can be), but that doesn't make Vivendi the parent company

31. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 19:13 bhcompy

bhcompy wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 17:54:
Bobby Kotick is CEO and president of the parent company,

Correct.

and thus he has complete control over Blizzard.

That's not really how subsidiaries work. Ultimately, Blizzard is beholden to the same shareholders and Kotick is the man in the General's spot, not anyone from Blizzard. Sure, they may have autonomy to a degree, but that doesn't mean they operate with impunity. Mythic and Verant were autonomous, too.

27. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 17:54 bhcompy

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 15:57:
Since people keep getting this wrong, Activision did not buy Blizzard. Vivendi, Blizzard's parent company, bought Activision, and changed the name to Activision-Blizzard. Activision has no control over what Blizzard does.

Not quite true. Bobby Kotick is CEO and president of the parent company, and thus he has complete control over Blizzard. Kotick is a man that only cares about shareholder value. Blizzard is still a subsidiary.

17. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 15:39 bhcompy

Cram wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 14:40:
A major reason I don't believe this persons story is that he brought up Titan.

Blizzard is notorious for separating development teams. The SC2 & WoW teams had no idea what the "Hydra" (Diablo 3 code-name) team were working on (though I'm sure they assumed). They were not privy to any information on Hydra, or allowed in the Hydra development offices. Numerous online sources out there on that, I can find and provide those later if this point is important to anyone. I find it difficult if not impossible to believe that a Diablo3 game/bug tester would have any information at all on Titan. However, I don't work at Blizzard and obviously have no idea what's going on in their offices more recently. For all I know it's a massive Titan festival everynight for all employees.

QA works a lot differently than dev, though. That said, if he was really doing QA on Titan, Titan would be fairly well developed at this point. Applications/games are more or less in alpha stage when QA starts

5. Re: Diablo III Details? Apr 14, 2011, 14:32 bhcompy

Elessar wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 14:13:
If what he says is true, it's more like Torchlight, intended release on consoles and Titan is to be integrated with Facebook, then I'm losing a lot of faith in Blizzard. I'll obviously wait to see if these things are confirmed, but it wouldn't surprise me to see more of what we love get watered down.

One word: Activision. Two more: Publicly owned. One last one: Shareholders.

News Comments > Portal 2 Early?
36. Re: Portal 2 Early? Apr 13, 2011, 09:41 bhcompy

Sepharo wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 02:09:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 00:00:
Well, shit. Guess I'm buying this on the 360, then

Wouldn't it be better for your friends to buy it on PC? That way, everyone can play the best version of the game. There will probably be community co-op maps as well in the future.

Wasn't this also the game that was buy a ps3 copy and get a pc copy for free?

Technically you're not getting the PC copy free. You're buying it on Steam and Steam is available on PC, Mac, and soon to be PS3, so you're getting it across the board. The one thing I haven't heard is if you can get access to Steam(and thus Portal 2 and other future PS3 Steam games) on PS3 without buying the game in the first place. I imagine you won't be able to because each game for a console requires a licensing fee to be paid to the console company(Sony/SCE in this case)

News Comments > BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule
15. Re: BlizzCon 2011 Ticket Sales Schedule Apr 13, 2011, 09:39 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 06:15:
Yet, every other con in a similar setup makes money. So, maybe they need to change venues if the site is charging Blizzard too much...which I seriously doubt. Blizzard is doing this at a loss? Riiight. And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you cheap. Throw out the actual numbers or shut up. My buddy is a top manager for the MTCC (Metro Toronto Convention Center) and the space is the same sizewize which may cost you in the 10's of 1000's per day but you're telling me they're charging Blizzard over 5 million for 2 days? Are you high? They could buy their own property and constuct a similar sized venue for less than that, nevermind utilities. And you seem to forget that probably a considerable chunk of this is a tax-write off to boot. And that says nothing against any goodwill they generate on future sales. To claim in any fashion that this costs them dime one is a load of utter shit. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the merchandising either.

The difference is that other conventions are renting out space to developers and other companies. Who is Blizzard renting out to? Themselves?

25. Re: Portal 2 Early? Apr 12, 2011, 23:49 bhcompy

Selektaa wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 22:25:
Well, shit. Guess I'm buying this on the 360, then

MS won't allow Steam, so any potential Steam functionality/crossplay will not come until then.

13. Re: Portal 2 Early? Apr 12, 2011, 19:36 bhcompy

Correlation does not equal causation, Brad.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
5. Re: Impulse Top 10 Apr 12, 2011, 09:18 bhcompy

Bhruic wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 00:17:
Other than Sims Medieval, there's not a recent mainstream game on the list. Which kinda cements Impulse as a niche market in my mind. It'll be interesting to see if Gamestop can change that at all - although if the indie devs abandon them and they can't get sales on mainstream games, they'll be pretty damn screwed.

All RTS gamers know what Sins is(and most own it already I imagine), most PC gamers know what Dawn of War is, and most PC gamers and FPS playing consolers know what Crysis is.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 9, 2011, 12:00 bhcompy

Pisses me off that the Dungeon Siege you get is singple player only. I'd love to get them to play coop with my family, but nooooo. The games are ancient, why the fuck do they need to be restricted?  

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
13. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 15:54 bhcompy

LittleMe wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:07:
Get out of cash and put it into commodities. The value of paper money is dropping. Look at what silver has done lately. This is what bailouts and 'stimulus' pork projects do to a currency (ruin it!).

Well, he's not American, so I doubt he's invested in the US dollar. You pay for the game in Euros(or was it pound sterling?)

News Comments > PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence
18. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 6, 2011, 11:01 bhcompy

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 01:32:
bhcompy wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 23:24:
Kobalt wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 19:07:
Indie games are fine and all, but people want a major release. Which pc gaming barely has. If pc gaming during a resurgence just means more indie games..pc gaming will never be dead but it's glory days are long past.

Every release from Valve, Relic, and Blizzard begs to differ, at least. Problem is that Valve and Blizzard put out a game per decade

They're also all multi-platform developers now.

With the PC being the lead, or only release such as the case for Starcraft 2, WoW, Company of Heroes series, Dawn of War series, etc.

News Comments > PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence
16. Re: PCGA: PC Gaming Resurgence Apr 5, 2011, 23:24 bhcompy

Kobalt wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 19:07:
Indie games are fine and all, but people want a major release. Which pc gaming barely has. If pc gaming during a resurgence just means more indie games..pc gaming will never be dead but it's glory days are long past.

Every release from Valve, Relic, and Blizzard begs to differ, at least. Problem is that Valve and Blizzard put out a game per decade

News Comments > The Sims 3 Generations Announced
1. Re: The Sims 3 Generations Announced Apr 5, 2011, 14:57 bhcompy

How's about Sim City 5  

News Comments > PlanetSide Next Plans
11. Re: PlanetSide Next Plans Apr 5, 2011, 10:42 bhcompy

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 20:38:
What I find interesting is all the gaming sites, the comments are about how awesome the first was. Where was this great support then? That said, it's always good to release a new game that has good memories associated to it, builds momentum.

It left when Core Combat ruined it

734 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo