Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve ARG?
3. Re: Valve ARG? Apr 4, 2011, 15:49 bhcompy

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 12:37:
My money is on Left 4 Dead III.

No, they can't go down that route because there is a limit to how many games they can develop in a series before putting it in perpetual development. Next announcement will be Left4ChicagoTed, starring that guy from the NM5 wall

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hawken Interview
6. Re: Hawken Interview Apr 4, 2011, 10:23 bhcompy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 00:29:
This game looks and sounds better every time they release more info about it; I just hope it survives the possible PS3/Xbox360 release consolization effect on the PC.

Well, it's an indie. The sequel will be consolized after it is a rousing success on the PC, like STALKER(after years of patching out bugs, of course). The fact that this plays into a genre that's had only one competitor on consoles in recent years but has been pretty successful in the past(Virtual-On, Armored Core) I do think that a console version will come eventually. That said, Armored Core had about as much customization and mildly complex controls as you could expect from an arcadey mech game, which is what this game looks like. Essentially, it's what BF1942 was to mil-sims.

News Comments > Hawken Gameplay Trailer
24. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 17:18 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 16:43:
While I love the look and sounds, it feels just a wee bit twitchy for giant mechs boogying around and getting it on. I hope their maps/environemts are quite varied, however.

You've never heard of Shogo? Farking best mech combat ever, and twitchy as all hell.

/Red riot, spider mines, farking giant katana, and, best of all, grapple

edit: Video reminds me of Armored Core with a much more badass environment. Kind of like FF7 cities + Armored Core combat

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 17:29.

News Comments > Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA
8. Re: Battlefield Play4Free Early Access, Cousins Leaving EA Mar 31, 2011, 17:16 bhcompy

Tom wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 16:18:
Still have no idea why someone would play this instead of BC2...

jets?

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Announced
12. Re: Take On Helicopters Announced Mar 31, 2011, 15:05 bhcompy

PHJF wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 13:46:
I remember playing Desert Combat with a purported Marine helo pilot. I was trying to "teach" her to pilot them in the game, which she insisted was more difficult than in reality.

You should have had her try the helicopter in Codename Eagle. Now that was a trip

News Comments > Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice
13. Re: Gaming Mouse Maker Knocks Gaming Mice Mar 29, 2011, 14:59 bhcompy

Ratty wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:00:
Got a wireless "gaming" mouse with my last computer 6 years ago. What a worthless piece of crap. I dug up an old, wired, non-optical mouse with the rubber ball and have been using it ever since. I'd like to switch to a modern one - it only has two buttons and no scroll wheel and there are a couple of games where that comes in handy. Get this, in Crysis and FarCry you need a mouse wheel to zoom in with the sniper scope. So I continued to use the old fashioned mouse but got out my worthless wireless gaming mouse and set it on the desk. When I needed to zoom I reached over and used the mouse wheel on that. That's pretty lame but it actually worked pretty well. But I swear I can't find a decent mouse that fits in your hand and doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have a bajillion buttons all along the edges that you constantly keep clicking by accident.

Logitech M100, M110, etc.
Razer Spectre

Ant wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 11:32:
I hate the mouse wheel too since my disabled hands' fingers do not work with them well. I also prefer big mice with two/three buttons.

No mouse wheel? Best non-mousewheel mouse ever made was the Wingman Gaming Mouse. Hard to find, but one of the greatest mice ever.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 16:14 bhcompy

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 11:48:
Most people who bash CoD never even played the freakin' game, so don't listen to the naysayers.

The modern ones are fun single, but the multi is ass. The stupid killstreak bonuses, the nade spam, etc. The consolization of the game has harmed the playability of it. It's fine that it's not old-school tactical rainbow 6, but it would be better with a bit more CS flair, more dependent on gunskill than what upgrades you have and your killstreak bonuses.

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending
11. Re: Company of Heroes Patched, Company of Heroes Online Ending Mar 28, 2011, 10:10 bhcompy

Hey Relic, we need more Homeworld.  

News Comments > Game of Thrones RPG Plans
22. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 28, 2011, 09:50 bhcompy

UConnBBall wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 17:04:
How is this IP a good fit for a MMO of any kind or even a video game???? It's a great series because it's different and is not a action based narrative. It's politics and intrigue.

Game of Thrones - Living Card Game by Fantasy Flight is an awesome game that feels like you are playing a game based on the series. If you haven't given it a try head down to Barnes and Nobles and buy the core set. It's $40 and plays great. Any action based game would not be this series.

Personally, this would be great for an RTS(Total War type of course). You have a very well defined map, you have defined kingdoms with particular skills/resources, etc.

As far as an RPG, an RPG that follows the story will be boring, but an RPG that occurs within the rich world will not be. Similar to KOTOR, set an RPG within a well defined and vibrant world and you have the basis for building a winner.

News Comments > On EVE Online's Future
8. Re: On EVE Online's Future Mar 28, 2011, 09:44 bhcompy

Asmo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 05:24:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 28, 2011, 02:16:
I think it's supposed to be a comment on the lowest common denominator. They'll fight the countless ground battles while the PC players run the galactic empire and reap the wealth

Would you trust a bunch of random teabagging dumbasses on a mission that might effect what you're doing in game, particularly since Eve can punish players very effectively if they overreach or make mistakes?

The old commander/players hybrid RTS/FPS concept works great if both teams do what they're told. Like playing an RTS where the units just wander off mission whenever they feel like it..

It's not a commander from what I understand. You're contracting with people(on consoles) to fight for resource control of a planet. Mix of Planetside and MAG, with locations varying on where there are conflicts. I imagine the real interaction with people will probably be minimal in game if at all, just a posting on a list

News Comments > Steam Voice Chat Gets SILKy Smoothness
6. Re: Steam Voice Chat Gets SILKy Smoothness Mar 22, 2011, 15:22 bhcompy

What was it previously? Why not go with SPEEX since it doesn't have licensing issues?  

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
55. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 22, 2011, 09:39 bhcompy

Yifes wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:52:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 14:35:
Which is why adults play EVE instead of WoW. We leave WoW to the kids who are bored with their 360s

You can play EVE for 1 hr a day? I've always thought that EVE was an even bigger timesink and waste of your life than WOW.

Sure you can play EVE for an hour a day. One of the biggest benefits of EVE is that character advancement occurs whether or not you're logged on(as long as you queue it up). Same goes for manufacturing(crafting), buying/selling(you can place standing market orders that sit for hours/days/weeks/months), and other things. The actual business of fighting can take as long as you want. If you want to earn some cash mining or mission running or killing pirates(ratting) or PVPing, you can do all of that in an hours span of time.

News Comments > Prey 2 Details
13. Re: Prey 2 Details Mar 21, 2011, 14:37 bhcompy

Just give me a full game of the creepyass radio broadcasts

/intro to Prey was bitchin

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
40. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 14:35 bhcompy

Yakubs wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 13:03:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 12:04:
InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 12:00:
Maybe because Diablo can be played 15 minutes at a time (a quick boss run or something) and WoW raids are a major pain in the ass for the majority of adult gamers?
You dont have to raid. Most WoW players just play "normal" PvE and sometimes easy instances up to an hour a day. The majority of WoW players never sees endgame content.

You're forgetting about adult gamers who aren't mentally disabled. You can spend an hour a day and get up to level 85. Then what? As of Cata, you cannot reliably do PvE content for an hour a day at 85. Many of the 5-mans take 90+ minutes to complete with pugs. Nonetheless, you can power through, anger your wife, and do the 5-mans enough times to get Heroic items. I did this in a matter of a few weeks.

Then what, again? You can't raid. 5-mans STILL take 60 minutes minimum and now you don't get anything out of them. What are you supposed to do? Craft crap?

Level 85 WoW is designed for raiding/PvPing and for people who never tire of dressing their character in neat outfits. There's very little content for those in between. I outlined this argument to Blizzard when I canceled my account like a month after Cata came out.

Which is why adults play EVE instead of WoW. We leave WoW to the kids who are bored with their 360s

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
36. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 17:54 bhcompy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 17:12:
killer_roach wrote on Mar 18, 2011, 17:04:
OpenGL is flexible, but if you're talking about performance, it's an absolute joke.
That's probably more to do with the fact that most optimizations in drivers these days are built around DX, and DX related apps not OGL. OGL performance was 2nd to none behind 3dfx back 10 years ago(and sometimes higher) because everything was either OGL, or 3dfx. And DX was dead last, that changed after 3dfx folded, got eaten by nvidia, and MS decided that consoles were the latest hot shit, and gave special incentives for DX optimizations.

Well, 3dfx's GLIDE wrapper was OpenGL based.

News Comments > Crytek Plans UDK-Style CryENGINE SDK
9. Re: Crytek Plans UDK-Style CryENGINE SDK Mar 16, 2011, 13:19 bhcompy

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 00:04:
Let's hope it catches on. Other than Crysis being a huge resource hog, Crytek's engines have always been fantastic.

I'd LOVE to see more games built in them. Of course, I'd love to see more games built in the Dunia or Just Cause 2 engines too, and so far it's zilch. Everyone keeps going back to Unreal 3. Sigh.

Creston

The SDK is the reason that they keep going back to Unreal Engine. Same reason that Quake, Quake2, Quake3, HL, and Source were/are heavily used by modders and developers alike. Powerful SDK, good world building software, popular 3d modeling tools usable for modeling, very good ingame development language/interpreter(QuakeC for all of the ones I mentioned basically), etc.

I didn't like the comment by DICE stating that the SDK for BF3 has to be scaled down if it's going to be released at all because of how complex it is(among other things IIRC). That's the whole point. We want to make complex mods, total conversions, or be able to license the engine commercially.

News Comments > THQ Stock Drops
10. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 18:19 bhcompy

No more implausible than Red Dawn before it  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 14, 2011, 18:04 bhcompy

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 15:01:
Quicksilver wrote on Mar 14, 2011, 12:13:
Who would've thought the future would actually be a cyberpunk novel?

Ooh! Ooh! I did! I did!

But...I was hoping for Snowcrash.

This is a lot more Spook Country.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Well, it's not going to be Neuromancer anymore. The Japanese have too many problems of their own now to accomplish the complete takeover of culture in the US

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 14, 2011, 12:02 bhcompy

I wonder if they did it for the lulz  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
27. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 19:15 bhcompy

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 17:44:
I remember all the way back to Delta Force which was pretty amazing in terms of how much terrain was drawn with such minimal impact on performance. I believe it used a Voxel-based flight sim engine.

The only downside was the closer you got to an object, the worse it would seem to look.

Delta Force did use voxels(volumetric pixels), but Tribes didn't.

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo