Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 713 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > The Baconing Announced
1. Re: The Baconing Announced May 26, 2011, 17:18 bhcompy

Is The Baconing anything like The Quickening?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 24, 2011, 12:05 bhcompy

500 new features, many of which were available in WM6.x  

News Comments > BlizzCon Tickets on Sale Saturday
8. Re: BlizzCon Tickets on Sale Saturday May 18, 2011, 16:49 bhcompy

I wonder what the resale value is on those tickets. I live the there  

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
28. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 16:42 bhcompy

And for the record, this is why MMOs like EVE and Anarchy Online are great. 1 server, no bs like this  

News Comments > New Total War Game in The Works
10. Re: New Total War Game in The Works May 18, 2011, 16:40 bhcompy

Mexico: Total Drug War  

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
20. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 13:33 bhcompy

nin wrote on May 18, 2011, 10:38:

And the monetization of WOW continues...

This is what happens when you're a publicly owned company reporting to shareholders instead of your customers

News Comments > More MW3 in November Clues
1. Re: More MW3 in November Clues May 16, 2011, 11:29 bhcompy

MechWarrior 3? Ohhh... COD:MW3.  

News Comments > AvP Sequel Downplayed
24. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 09:55 bhcompy

This was just a remake of the original wasn't it? The original was bombass, by the way. No other game had it where you could staple corpses to the wall with the Predator sniper. Plus it had the LithTech engine, my favorite engine.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Details?
18. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Details? May 11, 2011, 09:51 bhcompy

Razumen wrote on May 10, 2011, 21:03:
bhcompy wrote on May 10, 2011, 20:37:
Destructible environments, eh? There's not going to be anything left after the first 30 seconds of nade spam each round

Frag grenades don't cause that much damage to the environment, they're anti-personnel weapons.

Maybe you haven't played BFBC2?

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Details?
1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Details? May 10, 2011, 20:37 bhcompy

Destructible environments, eh? There's not going to be anything left after the first 30 seconds of nade spam each round  

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
6. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:37 bhcompy

Tom wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:34:
"People who use Amazon still go to bookstores."

Yeah, to browse, then I buy it from Amazon. Brick and mortar has too much overhead to compete with online operations.

Depends.. Amazon requires you to spend $25 to qualify for free shipping(and you must buy from Amazon directly, plus it's not every book). A $10 mass market paperback might be a dollar or two less at Amazon, but unless you're buying enough for free shipping AND you buy from Amazon direct, you'll probably break even buying it in person at a b&m store.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
5. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:35 bhcompy

InBlack wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:06:
However software is software. Physical CD or DVD discs make for garish christmass decorations but otherwise their physical use is very limited...

Depends on the packaging, though. In Japan, you get tons of extras with games. Artwork and such. In the US, you got those things with special editions(mostly, there are exceptions), but maybe you want to buy that special edition.

When I purchased SoaSE on Impulse they sent me a box with a DVD by mail as well as allowing me to download it through Impulse.

News Comments > Valve on Episodes
22. Re: Valve on Episodes May 9, 2011, 16:37 bhcompy

Chairman Kaga wrote on May 9, 2011, 15:14:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 9, 2011, 14:30:
He doesn't sound like a pod person, he just sounds like a creative person who needs barriers put around him so he will focus and not wander off into la-la land.

This is typical of the "artist's studio" -- nothing ever gets finished because the creative people are always being creative and want to throw everything in. A business always needs at least one solid business person that's able to keep things in check. So long as you avoid going off the deep end with the whole Bobby Kotick "we want to drain all the fun out of game development" brand of crazy.

I'm reminded of a clip from the recent Blizzard 20th anniversary retrospective, where they had the option to sell out to Interplay (the "creative" game company) or to Davidson and Associates (the "business guys"). In the end they chose Davidson, for precisely the reasons outlined above.

(And yes, I do find it ironic that Blizzard ended up married to Activision.)

Basically, Valve is Stephen King and the Dark Tower

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Double XP
5. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Double XP May 8, 2011, 01:54 bhcompy

PS3 CODBO owners need not apply  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs May 4, 2011, 12:35 bhcompy

Those are pretty nice specs for a PC game these days. Interesting that they recommend Win7 but not Vista. Does Win7 have graphic features that Vista doesn't? I thought Vista had the same capabilities  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Specs
5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Specs May 3, 2011, 15:11 bhcompy

Well, duh for low specs. Gotta work on Xbox, you know?  

News Comments > Age of Empires Online Beta Key Giveaway
29. Re: Age of Empires Online Beta Key Giveaway Apr 26, 2011, 11:23 bhcompy

Yes please!  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Apr 22, 2011, 09:19 bhcompy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 20:49:
A nice article talking about what all of us have bitched about for a long time......the R6 games were the best of the best. Even the Swat games were pretty good. You f'd up, you died, and when you died you screwed the rest of your team. It was great.

And dead characters weren't available for later missions.

/sorry Ding!

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2011, 15:26 bhcompy

Flatline wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 13:26:
I remember when we first started playing Rogue Spear in multiplayer at LAN parties, I was met with accusations of cheating from a couple of kids who grew up on Quake because I'd drop and take a knee and kill them while they tried to circle strafe me.

I had to explain that much like real life, running and aiming doesn't work well. Spray and pray has the "pray" part in it for a reason too. One of them got it and slowed his play down and did better, but the other just never could get into Rogue Spear.

This is where the MP5-PDW came in. My favorite weapon in the game.

/I miss the HBM, C4, etc

News Comments > Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam
5. Re: Digital Chart Initiative Losing Steam Apr 21, 2011, 11:24 bhcompy

Verno wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 10:49:
Au contraire, I think their reluctance is that they're selling more than they want retail partners to know if anything. I think it's silly to hide this data and his excuse is really flimsy.

That's probably a big part of it.

Other companies do want to see how other games are doing, as well. It might not make a difference to small time developers, but to the Ubisofts, Activisions, etc of the world it is important to the decision making process. Valve is privately owned and managed, they don't have shareholders to answer to that require data based on industry trends and such in order to justify investment. Valve doesn't have shareprices that are affected by the public chart data, public financial data, and all of the analysts discussing the business, either.

713 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo