Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bhcompy

Real Name bhcompy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 10, 2010, 20:50
Total Comments 726 (Apprentice)
User ID 55884

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
115. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 17:45 bhcompy

Lotta rage on Origin/EA Store. That's fine, but this is a GameStop rep saying that they'll sell it, which means it will be through Impulse(which they just bought). Origin!=Impulse  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
1. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 09:32 bhcompy

Maybe we don't want a big dedicated product. Maybe we just want something moddable, playable, and good enough that's, possibly, not on UE3? Who ever claimed that PC gamers want console style "AAA" titles? Games like STALKER sure as hell don't meet that criteria  

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
1. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 09:30 bhcompy

So it will be on Impulse? Not a major loss. As long as it's available online or Amazon gives it a significant discount with a boxed preorder, I don't really care. I plan on buying day one, so not having access to it for an Xmas Steam sale or something isn't a big deal.  

News Comments > World of Warplanes Economy Detailed
2. Re: World of Warplanes Economy Detailed Jul 15, 2011, 14:47 bhcompy

About time. Been a while since a good multiplayer dedicated simplified flight sim has hit. Here's to hoping we also get World of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and World of Mechwarrior  

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
14. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 15:02 bhcompy

Lokust wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 14:16:
John Lovitz wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:47:
If only World of Tanks was, oh i don't know, a MMOG. Why the hell do people keep saying it? Thats like waiting in the lobby of starcraft 2 and saying "look i'm playing a MMO".

I know. I play World of Tanks and enjoy it, but Wargaming.net calling it an MMO is ADORABLE. I guess all sorts of other things were MMO's and we never knew it. Battlefield, Quake, Tribes, Subspace, etc...

It's in the same book as Guild Wars. Both operate in a different category than "FPS". Along the lines of DAoC, Warhammer, and WoW battlegrounds without all the rest.

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions
7. Re: On PlanetSide 2 Microtransactions Jul 13, 2011, 12:25 bhcompy

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 11:28:
Prez wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 11:14:
@ OldSchool:

Even in a game that is otherwise free to play? What about a free to play game that also has a free downloadable client, so there's no upfront cost whatsoever? Dev's gotta eat ya know. It may not be what you are used to or your preferred means of gaming, but it's not a bad proposition for the gamer really.

As long as they do it right.

If they DO "sell power" it could potentially be a disaster.

"Step right up! You, sir! You look like a Reaver pilot! For just $4.99, you could take to the skies in this fine Air Superiority vehicle!"

They say they won't do this - but we'll see. SOE has shot themselves in the foot more times than a trailer park.

As it is - in Planetside, you could have Clan Emblems on your avatar and vehicles for free. From what this says, it seems like now you have to pay for that? That's pretty weak.

I'm almost a guaranteed Planetside 2 sale - as long as they don't muck it up. Even STO has free customizable Fleet emblems and uniforms, and it's F2P w/ microtransactions.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

It hasn't been a disaster for World of Tanks. The tanks money can purchase are okay, but don't outclass anything you can earn. Players don't complain about it at all. The only real thing I don't like is that you can buy significantly better AP ammo with money, but it's not a game changer for the average player. Don't know how that works with clan matches though

News Comments > On the Star Wars Galaxies Closure
20. Re: On the Star Wars Galaxies Closure Jul 13, 2011, 09:35 bhcompy

hubricide wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 21:23:
Another thing about SWG too is that when it came out the graphics were quite good. Vast landscapes like that hadn't really been done with that amount of detail and the player models etc were nicely detailed. The few actual pre-built cities that were in the game looked quite good, too.

Anarchy Online looked better earlier. Infact, still haven't seen a game with a dynamic weather system(and cool effects, imho) as good as AO

/seriously

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
23. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 10, 2011, 23:30 bhcompy

DDI wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 21:35:
Look at World of Tanks, sure you can earn some stuff through gameplay. But it will take you literally months to earn the same stuff someone can buy in a few minutes.

Err, not quite. WoT has a few tanks you can purchase, but they are not great tanks and they aren't the same tanks you can earn through exp. The only thing that actually affects the regular tanks is that you can use cash to convert unused experience for one tank into "free exp" that can be used on any tank.

What it looks like Tribes Ascend is going to get is very similar to the WoT model. Pay for a premium account and exp/cash/whatever will be earned at an increased rate.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
43. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 21:57 bhcompy

zirik wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 20:05:
PacoTaco wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:51:
EA just fucked themselves on this one, the stock should drop after the forecast is cut by 50%. No XP, FU EA!

i can sympathize with the XP users. why is it that EA can make the game run on the 360 and PS3 which basically have the same visuals as DX9 while PC users are forced to upgrade to vista. at least allow XP users to turn down the visuals to console levels in order to play the game.

Err, maybe you missed the PS3 demo they played on Jimmy Failon. It is a very obvious downgrade in visual quality

News Comments > New Battlefield 3 Details
40. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 21:49 bhcompy

Matshock wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 18:26:
Like mentioned earlier, MGs and suppressive fire is what rules modern infantry battle. Snipers and rifle marksmen work in around the cover created by suppression and then go to work on the flanks.

When has Battlefield ever been about realism?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announced
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announced Jul 8, 2011, 11:28 bhcompy

Tumbler wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:23:
It looks like Halo...why does it look like halo? It's got a fucking purple tank that shoots slow blue projectiles...and there is a dropship in the last scene...

Do the soldiers have regenerating shields?

I have a really bad feeling about this.

Uh, Planetside has had purple tanks, slow blue projetiles, and dropships for 8 years. And actually has gameplay depth. Something that Halo has little of

34. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:06 bhcompy

MattyC wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 09:34:
everyone wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 08:12:
Snipers were never a problem - or even used much - in BF2. Why would you assume they will be in BF3?

Did you ever play Bad Company 2?

Aircraft are sniper equalizers. They are fast and they'll make it much easier to spot them. If we get the 2 pilot variety with a guided bomb, it makes it even better to grief the snipers.

33. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:02 bhcompy

Are they going to change the non-bipod accuracy of the LMGs? Are they going to add barrel overheating like real LMGs so you can't fire that entire 100-200 round belt in one go? Are they going to remove the scope option? They're already overpowered as is.  

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
22. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 14:45 bhcompy

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 14:12:
Fion wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:36:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:51:

Also, $74B in revenue, and yet none of them make a profit.

Creston

It's the same kind of wackjob accounting that let Newline claim they lost money on the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I'd like to believe it's just funny accounting and those most of these publishers are actually doing fine but look at the stock prices for EA, THQ, Ubisoft and others in recent years. Down, down, down. Funny accounting means that they made money and just make it look like they didn't, which investors know. When stock prices and market valuations are dropping, that usually means they're actually not making any real money. The board of directors and the CEO get most of their wealth from the shares they own and in recent years, all those shares have been worth less.

This was true in the past, but in today's market, stock prices and market valuations that are dropping can be simply from not growing enough. Games are somewhat seasonal and have long dev cycles, and the market media/investors push quarterly earnings growth as the big ticket investing measurement. Coupled with that, investors are increasingly making short term investments. Gaming companies can lose money all year and make it up at Christmas, but investors don't like to see that. They like to see big growth every quarter, so they can make cash on the bump seen at earnings release and quarterly press conferences(look at what Netflix did this week for an indication of that).

News Comments > On BF3 Multiplayer
22. Re: On BF3 Multiplayer Jul 1, 2011, 09:35 bhcompy

Matshock wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 17:41:
Yep, then you'd have to layer in more recoil, ballistics and the effects of physical stress on shooting.

Then you'd be playing ARMA.

I thought BC2 came close to a good balance, my only big gripes: The idea of medics toting LMGs was a bit ridiculous. Recoil was a bit light in many instances (M60) and falling more than 8 feet should be an insta-kill.

LMGs are ridiculously overpowered as is. Little recoil, massive damage, sniper scopes(well, the 4x), and no overheating. Biggest pile of horse shit in the game

News Comments > Upcoming PC Shooter Tease
38. Re: Upcoming PC Shooter Tease Jul 1, 2011, 09:31 bhcompy

pcrequired wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 20:18:
The screenshot looks good, always welcome a futuristic game with open arms.

Darks wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 15:06:
Itís kind of funny how most PC only titles are coming out of the European theater while the USA seems to be going after the console market only. Not that I mind, I just wish more of the American developers would go this route too.
Eastern European developers are leading the PC market and have been IMO for the past decade. Look at Mafia, Hidden & Dangerous, almost the entire catalog from 1C Company. The US lost it's way a long time ago and have no idea how to get back. Maybe the next Duke Nukem game and Aliens from Gearbox will give hope!

When game developers(or their publishers) are publicly owned, awesome projects just don't happen very often. $$$$ comes first, creativity and innovation second.

News Comments > Upcoming PC Shooter Tease
15. Re: Upcoming PC Shooter Tease Jun 30, 2011, 15:59 bhcompy

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 14:33:
I was going to say shades of Bladerunner with a fantasy angle. Nice artwork at any rate.

Bladerunner, Neuromancer, etc, yea. Bioshock? Uh, no.

News Comments > EVE Online Player Exodus?
43. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 09:28 bhcompy

Agrikaan wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 00:58:
"ALL VERY PREDICTABLE FEEDBACK".
"...we look at what our players do and less of what they say"
- Hilmar, CCP CEO.

After 7 years with 4 accounts, its bye bye.

Can I have your stuff?

28. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 16:58 bhcompy

necrosis wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 16:22:
Nah its the simple thing of 'those who have the money get the gear'. Some only have time to burn on the game. Others have the money. The people that only have time to burn are now pissed at those who have the money.

It is also the fear that X player spend 2 years getting ISK to get Y item. When player A can hop in the game and in 2 seconds have that Y item if he has the IRL cash for it. Which honestly I do not blame player X for being pissed.

Err, this has been that way in EVE for quite a long time. CCP sanctions converting real cash to ingame cash through the ETC/PLEX system that many users use. Market value for one PLEX last week(30 day sub, $17.50 each[must buy in pairs for $35]) was about 390m ISK. You can buy anything you want with that, including characters.

The people that are pissed are the ones that don't understand that it already exists and that the system is only being expanded to the new currency(AURUM). The new currency, of course, can be acquired via PLEX, which you can buy with ISK. And items bought with AURUM can be sold directly for ISK. The problem comes from the fact that CCP is not capable of this kind of communication to its fanbase. They tried with infographics like this, but it didn't help.

17. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 15:15 bhcompy

Flatline wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 13:39:
For some reason EVE players take it up the ass and just keep coming back for more.

Because the game is that goddamned good.

As far as these whiners, they're taking it way out of proportion. There's only one issue that matters: can you buy shit(ships, ammo, skillpoints) with real money to win in internet spaceships? If it's true, the game should be F2P and go to the World of Tanks model. It's not unprecedented. As it is, it already kind of is true, since you can trade cash for ISK legally and in turn buy ships, ammo, and skilled up characters. In the end, boo hoo. The game is unique, and it will remain so regardless of these decisions.

726 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo